Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59869 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
Saw this on Bill Maher the other day. Seems like opinions aren’t just divided along political lines anymore, with notable liberal/dem comedians opening up the discussion.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?    Who the fuck willingly watches Bill Maher?!    There’s literally 100 better alternatives in the genre

excitableboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
Saw this on Bill Maher the other day. Seems like opinions aren’t just divided along political lines anymore, with notable liberal/dem comedians opening up the discussion.

Thoughts?

Dad joke galore. Cringe though that clip is, the medical practice of diagnosing and treating children is fraught with difficulty. Boomer Bill here crassly equates gender dysphoria with playing cowboys and princesses. But it's true that in science this (indeed, any) discussion is ongoing.

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I wouldn't call Maher a liberal, just a rich old white guy who's afraid of change.

Perhaps. I was just making the distinction that he isn’t conservative or republican. More accurately he’s more a libertarian that donates to and supports the democrats.

Thoughts?    Who the fuck willingly watches Bill Maher?!    There’s literally 100 better alternatives in the genre

Yeah, I’m not a big fan either, but that wasn’t my point.

I wasn’t saying I agree or disagree with Bill Maher, I was just pointing out the recent increase in well known non-conservative comedians using material around identity politics.

Bill Maher show has been on for 20yrs (probably 10yrs on HBO), and we’ve seen recent Netflix specials from Dave Chappelle and Ricky Gervais, which have reach due to their hugely popular in the ratings.

Obviously, not everyone is happy about this. But it certainly stirs up debate, even here on Slap.

https://www.advocate.com/commentary/2022/5/28/why-transphobic-comics-maher-gervais-chapelle-are-unfunny-dinosaurs

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432

Spectre

• Rep: -40

Haha i knew this dude was gonna be posted next. Sorry but acaster is even less funny than maher

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
its very unfair! for all competitive sports. biological males grow larger bonea, more muscle mass and and produce more power even with the hormone supressors. people say shes complaining about the money but the money is just way to calculate what she and other competitors wouldve gained. let alone sponsors and other recognition.
You figure the sponsors would be lining up outside her door, had she just taken first, eh?
If she dedicated an eighth of the time/effort she expended appearing on talk shows to skating, she might actually have a fighting chance, but instead, we have THIS shit show.
Thanks, Taylor.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha i knew this dude was gonna be posted next. Sorry but acaster is even less funny than maher
It's 2022 no standup is funny. It's just theatre dorks saying things they already know people will agree with. Gervais had the exact material his crowd wants and gets the predicted "outraged" reaction from the opposite side. Comedians on the other side do the exact same thing. Covid should of shown them all they weren't actually needed. Just make an actual show or at least skits.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Underpressureflips

• Rep: 44
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It's 2022 no standup is funny. It's just theatre dorks saying things they already know people will agree with. Gervais had the exact material his crowd wants and gets the predicted "outraged" reaction from the opposite side. Comedians on the other side do the exact same thing. Covid should of shown them all they weren't actually needed. Just make an actual show or at least skits.

That’s a profoundly dumb take

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
i see quite a few focused barely skated decks in this girls future- no one bringing this stupid right wing grifter media machine near This Thing Of Ours should get off lightly
Actually reading you type “This Thing of Ours” makes want to burn my whole quiver to the ground and never skate again. 

You don’t actually say that to people in real life right?
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Hefe43

Expand Quote
bonea
[close]
Bonea

Just learned this fool Bobby is getting paid 1.9 million a year until 2035 even tho he hasn’t played  again in 20 years. Must be nice

This Thing Of Ours

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
Expand Quote
i see quite a few focused barely skated decks in this girls future- no one bringing this stupid right wing grifter media machine near This Thing Of Ours should get off lightly
[close]
Actually reading you type “This Thing of Ours” makes want to burn my whole quiver to the ground and never skate again. 

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
Expand Quote
bonea
[close]
Bonea

Aruba, Bonea, ooh, I wanna take ya
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego
Baby, why don't we go Bonea

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
[close]

if i say i do will you promise to quit skating and posting here

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Skateboarding is not a crime.

Or it is. Kinda prefer that it is

Hefe43

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I barely post as it is now poosey

This Thing Of Ours

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

too busy building your quiver of boards to stare at and never skate

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

You say that like it’s a bad thing. 8)

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
tough situation no men around to blame

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image

This is beautiful and confirms for me that James Acaster is my favorite comedian ever
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

caked

• Rep: -7
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I want to hear more women. Not male news anchors. Male internet commentators (i know. Me included) I wonder what someone that’s familiar with feminism and gender studies has to say. Skateboarders aren’t really the educated type for these complex questions as demonstrated in this thread.
[close]

This is an interesting listen if you have the time. It may answer some of your questions. It's about sports not skateboarding though.
[close]

I gave this a listen while cooking/eating dinner. pretty interesting story. demonstrates how murky quantifying a gender can be for real. some dimensions I wouldn't have thought about too like testosterone levels. seems like biological sex isn't the end all be all, as many people claim.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’m still waiting for somebody that knows what they’re talking about to speak up.

I want to hear more women. Not male news anchors. Male internet commentators (i know. Me included) I wonder what someone that’s familiar with feminism and gender studies has to say. Skateboarders aren’t really the educated type for these complex questions as demonstrated in this thread.

Taylor’s path  and right wing media really aren’t the resources that are useful for finding an answer that Taylor supposedly seeks. As piers Morgan has said, women are inferior physically and Taylor nods and agrees to perpetuate her beliefs. Seems like tory hierarchical bullshit. Seems kinda shitty that Red Bull is dodging the issue instead of standing up for trans women as well. They can tell her no.
[close]

Howdy! Don't know if you're still looking for viewpoints, I'm very late to this entire thread. I'm a queer female skater with a degree in neuroscience. I love talking about this stuff and I agree, women are the core focus here so we should listen to them primarily. I haven't read all 20+ pages of this thread but I'm sure many have shared supportive opinions and also some transphobic and TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminism) "rhetoric."

This absolute c-word 's behavior is completely embarrassing, the epitome of cringetopia, and deeply transphobic. She's a disgusting human and she deserves all the backlash she receives. I think I recall this person's name bc Andy Anderson has reposted some of her shit. Unfortunate. Otherwise she's a nobody, at least to most people in the scene. Now she seems to be a far-right darling that will hopefully be used and discarded in due time.

The VICE article somebody posted recently was fantastic. Worded well and pretty good journalism on behalf of the skate community. Anyway, just wanted to weigh in as a woman and see if anyone had any particular questions.
[close]

Hey what's up. glad to see you in this thread. Since you're in the sciences, what do you know about gender and physical performance? seems like TERF Taylor is running her campaign upon the premise that biological women are weaker physically therefore should compete only amongst themselves. I instantly thought of other abled skaters and that little person skater from Spain that kicks ass at skating. like dude has full pop and a lot of flick. Tons of different bodies in skating too. So is physiological makeup really a distinguishing factor? Seems like Silverman is running her whole campaign on that premise as fact when it really seems it is not that way.

That Sara Higdon interview is one of the least sensational appearances TERF Taylor has made although the hostess still reaffirms and doesn't challenge Silverman's narrative or ask any really interesting questions.  I can see Taylor reaching out to Sara as an attempt to say "hey, I have trans people on my side!" even though I feel like the majority of queer, gender non-conforming, trans people I know or have met are not libertarians or support this racist, patriarchal country. It's also worth noting these are two white women talking to each other and I'm not sure if they're inclusive feminists or feminists at all. It's interesting to see the word "woke" being used as a catch all for talking points that are all very complex and nuanced. Using the word "woke" abstracts all these concepts further by lumping them together which is nonsensical then dismissing them all at once under "woke" instead of actually engaging with the material. This demonstrates their inability to give a shit and sympathize with other people. I can see a Trans woman fitting into a conservative worldview. There still is the appeal to authority (boot licking) and belief in a natural hierarchy (man, woman, kid, dog, etc.), just the role of whoever has transitioned changes. Also Sara is ex-military, did some quick search of who she is, explains a lot. Wonder if she's a libertarian getting sweet government healthcare for life. Once again, Taylor is finding media outlets that just kiss her ass and don't actually have any sort of discussion other than an elaboration of what happened from Taylor's view. She's slinging her argument under this bogus belief in biological differences which no host has engaged with that topic at all, they just accept it as fact. Taylor is totally the twitter outrage du jour for conservative media and a this point we're just watching her go through this media circus and best we can do is watch her go through these absurd hoops and skyrocket into kookdem because as demonstrated seems like Taylor doesn't give a shit about listening to anyone that doesn't agree with her or other skaters. I think the question she has is valid, her feelings are valid, but it's a two way street. Gotta listen to others as well. as demonstrated the way Taylor is going about it is horrible and loaded with subtle discrimination/micro-aggressions (but micro aggressions are woke fake news!)

Taylor's choice of media to speak to, along with her acceptance of showing up on these types of shows gives insight into her world view. Looks like she's an asshole conservative that skates. (yes, you're an asshole when the things you do bring suffering upon others both individually and as a group, I'm sure the girl that beat her in the comp is stressed out and I hope she's ok. Being alive is can be difficult enough for trans people). I liked how she mentioned people making fun of her, as if skaters don't dissect everyone's kits and pants lol where the fuck you been Taylor.

I'm still surprised Red Bull hasn't said shit. You think they'd at least have some resources to send out some copy pasta we stand with trans people statement or someone that handles PR as a global brand. Red Bull can even just ban silverman because she's not the one hosting and making the competitions but maybe all the rednecks that drink that sugary crap will get pissed off. As pride month approaches let's get stoked for all these corporations that want to profit off of queer culture when convenient.

Yeah I do know a bit about physiological and physical differences between the sexes. Hormones, as we all know, have great influence on athletic performance and potential. Fun fact: the hormonal cycle in males is 24 hours, in females around 28-29 days. Interestingly enough, a lot of societal "rules" and behaviors we do are kind of rooted in the 24 hour cycle - we start work at the same time in the morning and end in the early evening every day for 5 or 6 days - this is because males have an outburst of energy in the morning and continue to hold their focus in the afternoons, every day. Females don't have this luxury.

But on the other hand, hormones can be fickle and can change concentration by a number of outside stimuli, like caffeine, lack of sleep, environment, diet, drugs, etc etc so I think it's really really hard to pin performance on strictly biological factors. Every human body is totally different like you said, and our metabolisms are totally different, our behaviors, our hygiene, our personal healthiness. The kind of skating we each do is different, and requires different skill sets! I don't understand how this fact isn't blatantly obvious to her and clearly it dismantles her entire argument.

I think she's peddling a completely flawed and hateful argument. It's laughable that anyone would give this serious merit. Unfortunately, the egregious white supremacy in this country emboldens these kind of people to whine and cry publically. The far-right gives them a media platform, and she's just standing in an echo chamber right now. It's exactly like you said in the rest of your post - she's talking about this shit with people who think exactly like her, so it's just stroking their egos and making them feel like they're absolutely right.

And yeah I only remembered this girl's name bc Andy Anderson reposts all kinds of freestyle clips on his stories and he happened to repost some of this bitch. I am starting to have less and less respect for him, between his chumminess with the Braille Scientology bros, and shouting out this sad excuse of a human.

Please know I've never met a single woman skateboarder that comes even close to this witch, she seems like a really pathetic person. Hope the trash takes itself out.

Hefe43

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

The only people that hate on my quiver have vaginas. My mom, my girlfriend, and you bitch.

Hellride brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

You need to stop fronting like you’re in the mob or part of the antihero/phelps crew. It’s lame as fuck and everyone except the kooks will agree

This Thing Of Ours

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
Everyone please consider buying products and apparel from There, Unity, Glue, Violet, Meow, Krux or other brands that publicly and proudly support trans, queer, and otherwise marginalized skateboarder groups. Consider donating money or time to Skate Like A Girl, Skateistan, or other organizations that are actively working to encourage skateboarding to be more inclusive and open to everyone.

Posting trans-supportive and progressive comments on SLAP and social media is great, but consider taking the next step toward ensuring the financial success of queer skaters and the brands that navigate a lot of hate to support them.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
Everyone please consider buying products and apparel from There, Unity, Glue, Violet, Meow, Krux or other brands that publicly and proudly support trans, queer, and otherwise marginalized skateboarder groups. Consider donating money or time to Skate Like A Girl, Skateistan, or other organizations that are actively working to encourage skateboarding to be more inclusive and open to everyone.

Posting trans-supportive and progressive comments on SLAP and social media is great, but consider taking the next step toward ensuring the financial success of queer skaters and the brands that navigate a lot of hate to support them.
Adding Double Down Zine to that list.

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

The only people that hate on my quiver have vaginas. My mom, my girlfriend, and you bitch.

You need to stop fronting like you’re in the mob or part of the antihero/phelps crew. It’s lame as fuck and everyone except the kooks will agree

i applaud you for being able to see the screen through the tears big dog, you’ll get through it

Deputy Wendell

Hefe43

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

i applaud you for being able to see the screen through the tears big dog, you’ll get through it

No one’s crying dawg, you said some lame shit and I let you know how lame it was  8)

This Thing Of Ours

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No one’s crying dawg, you said some lame shit and I let you know how lame it was  8)
🥵

nothing's been the since same

cky enthusiast

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i’m not gonna lose sleep over the opinions of an unmarried skateboard collector but i’m glad you got the self esteem boost you needed my man

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

The only people that hate on my quiver have vaginas. My mom, my girlfriend, and you bitch

how can you come into a thread on the topic of inclusivity and say shit like this... embarrassing.

also, i don’t understand why anyone digs into anyone for having a lot of skate shit, regardless of how much they skate these people keep skaters paid and shops open, and are doing something they enjoy.