Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59896 times)

dofrenzy

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i don't get how people are so confident with these topics and insensitive to people being confused, taking pause, questioning, etc... there's a lot of tricky things that will likely pop up. is it naive or wrong to ask what it means to be a woman in the context of these events? is there some type of definition or qualification or is it simply a matter of someone saying they are a woman when they register? wouldn't that leave open competing in different events as different sexes on different days? would it even be possible to identify as both a man and a woman and compete in both events on the same day. if being both sexes isn't a thing, why not? if someone says they are both who's to say they aren't. if competing at different events as different sexes on different days shouldn't be allowed, why not? do the organizers of the events have any say in these matters being the ones who are creating the categories or is the concept of male and female now essentially unregulated.

there's so many things that can pop up around these evolving understandings of gender and identity and i really don't get why people are being complete a holes about this in both directions. what happened to talking about things in rational ways.
[close]

I agree.  My wife and I had a nice discussion about this last night.  The best word to describe how I feel about this is conflictedUltimately, I believe Taylor Silverman is in the right.  Maybe her tagging of a potential lynch mob of transphobic people was a little over the top but I’m sure her emotions were running high.

I am trying to put this in the context of history.  Even today, women are fighting for equal pay for equal work.  They only got the right to vote across the whole United States in 1920.  The proper way to introduce a married couple is still “Mr and Mrs. Insert-man’s-name-here”. 

I wonder how the 1st place winner feels.

I (we?) would LOVE to hear from a transitioned woman about how they feel about this situation.  For now, I’ll leave it at congratulations to Taylor Silverman on her 1st place win in the women’s competition.
[close]
no she isn't. she's a subpar skateboarder who's complaining that she only won $3k six months after the fact and attempting to create a controversy and go viral as a means to springboard a career as a reactionary. multiple people who seem to know her, or have experience with her, or judged the contest, have pointed out that she's been a sore loser in the past; that she's competed (and placed) in men's competitions and didn't seem to find any issue with that; and that the first place winner in this particular contest deserved the win. the fact that taylor tagged some of the most notorious talking heads on the far right should be an indication to everyone here that none of this is being approached or treated in good faith, and beyond the "politics" of this whole mess, demanding "acknowledgement for your win" is some of the absolute wackest shit imaginable - the kind of stuff austin seaholm got blacklisted for almost two decades ago. and anyone who's defending her, and by proxy all of this nonsense, is outing themselves as, at best, ignorant (but not beyond help or learning), and at worse, a bigot who should be ostracized from skateboarding going forward

"congratulations to Taylor Silverman on her 1st place win in the women’s competition" get the fuck outta here

Thank you for the added context.  I guess I got stuck on “women’s competition” and I regret saying that Taylor was “in the right”, but I also believe there is some validity to her claim.  However, that validity was erased by her response (the specifics about this singular person are appalling and I neglected to drill down into the complete story). 

I believe that I am not beyond help or learning, so hopefully you will still have me.

Edit - what the fuck, I’ll be that person (see I changed my first choice of word “guy” to “person”….we are truly limited by our language)…..anyway, my brother is a trans man, on T, double mastectomy, etc.  I support all genders and gender identities and feel that the language we use needs to evolve beyond “man” and “woman”.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 07:33:03 AM by dofrenzy »

Slikk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • im proper
lol

dumb bitch

learn how to ollie and maybe you wont get dusted

slikk slikk

steezenking

• Rep: 15
Expand Quote

As G.I.M.S. said above....(posted screen shots for pals that don't use Instagram)

[close]

She placed second in a MEN'S contest. She called the cops on people drinking at her local. She's transphobic. She vibes out other women who skate. She's a contest skater yet she can't ollie up a curb. She tagged alt-right assholes with an "outrage" story.

No one on SLAP is actually going to bat for her. It's a ruse. They get off on enforcing the status quo because they themselves haven't accomplished anything in life.

My local park, which is right next to a playground, is running out of warnings for cuntbags drinking and smoking at the skatepark despite many signs. Fuck them.

dofrenzy

I just put myself in the 1st place winners shoes and I am gutted.  I wish I had started with that.  I 100% support her and her peers.  I am one of those rational/logical people that wants everything to be zeroes and ones and I approached this topic with a dictionary.  When I took an emotional peek at not only the topic but also the person(s) involved, it made me sad about my position here.

I did quickly edit out my congratulations to Taylor but some folks picked up on it.

Congratulations to the person who was judged 1st place by the people at the actual event.  I just went to find that person’s name but evidently Taylor Silverman has been put in 1st place and there is only a 2nd placer, no 3rd.

I apologize, sincerely, if my statements offended anyone; I have been dealing with my own gender biases since my little sister came out as lesbian, ultimately becoming a trans man, and over literally decades I have been uncovering my own prejudices, bigotry, and frankly my complete lack of understanding.  I feel enlightened by this discussion and I feel like my mind is a little more open at least.

cky enthusiast

the skatepark is a designated misdemeanor zone

accept it, most cities have.

i’m going to smoke pcp somewhere publicly cause it sets off the alarms in my apartment, i might as well smoke it in this converted roller hockey rink and get to skate at the same time. i pay taxes too

WarmUpZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 463
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
Whats the tour Ryan Lay talked about? Sounds dope.

The world of "contest skating" is profoundly strange to me.
Probably the NHS Roll of Their Own tour in the Pacific Northwest.
Nora, Marbie, Nicole Hause, Fabiana Delfino, Breana Geering, Samarria, Poe Pinson, Minna Stess, Suzy Heath and others. The PDX event was awesome. Very positive vibes with lots of younger skaters of all types.
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1431
Imagine trying to call the manager of skateboarding because another woman is better at skateboarding than you, but instead you get the bald stock boy who listens to Joe rogan and low key smokes 2cb in the walk in fridge

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
However you feel about this, one thing about skateboarding is we generally keep this shit in house , and have these discussion amongst ourselves. Corey Duffel N Word drama, Jason Jesse, Johan Stuckey, SF rape culture, etc. We kept that shit in house. Trying to reach out to right-wing outlets to bring unwarranted voices in the conversation from people who don’t know shit about skateboarding, don’t give a shit about skateboarding. and are arguing in bad faith is incredibly scummy behavior. This is shit that should get you permanently kooked in skateboarding, and any company that sponsors her after this should hold that L as well, but going by her shitty footage, I’m sure we don’t have to worry about her getting any legit sponsors.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
Expand Quote
Whats the tour Ryan Lay talked about? Sounds dope.

The world of "contest skating" is profoundly strange to me.
[close]
Probably the NHS Roll of Their Own tour in the Pacific Northwest.
Nora, Marbie, Nicole Hause, Fabiana Delfino, Breana Geering, Samarria, Poe Pinson, Minna Stess, Suzy Heath and others. The PDX event was awesome. Very positive vibes with lots of younger skaters of all types.
Nora and loads of them were posting about it on Instagram over the last week or so. Plus there is this, isn't the girl in question based in Michigan?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
Yeah, this is turning out to be obvious that this is some grifter shit that she planned and hoped would go viral (seems to be working, unfortunately)

Don’t get down on the negative comments, she’s being exposed as a dishonest moron, and exposing all the other idiots that agree with her.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
However you feel about this, one thing about skateboarding is we generally keep this shit in house , and have these discussion amongst ourselves. Corey Duffel N Word drama, Jason Jesse, Johan Stuckey, SF rape culture, etc. We kept that shit in house. Trying to reach out to right-wing outlets to bring unwarranted voices in the conversation from people who don’t know shit about skateboarding, don’t give a shit about skateboarding. and are arguing in bad faith is incredibly scummy behavior. This is shit that should get you permanently kooked in skateboarding, and any company that sponsors her after this should hold that L as well, but going by her shitty footage, I’m sure we don’t have to worry about her getting any legit sponsors.

This

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
…I’m sure we don’t have to worry about her getting any legit sponsors.
On Colours Collectiv: confirmed.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
Expand Quote
She tried to get Ben Shapiro’s attention. That should tell you the whole fucking story.
[close]

If you're a skater and you're trying to get Tim pool or Ben Shapiro to retweet your lame anti Trans crusade, then you are a total loser. Roller backpack energy to the max

this

EDIT also if I were her and saw weckingball's washed up ass supporting me in any way, I would take that as a very bad sign. literal 8th grade bully that never grew out of it. dude stands for absolutely nothing except things that will get him attention. basically if ben shapiro and weck are in your imaginary corner... it's time to think long and hard about your choices

Magnolia

• Rep: 440
  • She/They
I just put myself in the 1st place winners shoes and I am gutted.  I wish I had started with that.  I 100% support her and her peers.  I am one of those rational/logical people that wants everything to be zeroes and ones and I approached this topic with a dictionary.  When I took an emotional peek at not only the topic but also the person(s) involved, it made me sad about my position here.

I did quickly edit out my congratulations to Taylor but some folks picked up on it.

Congratulations to the person who was judged 1st place by the people at the actual event.  I just went to find that person’s name but evidently Taylor Silverman has been put in 1st place and there is only a 2nd placer, no 3rd.

I apologize, sincerely, if my statements offended anyone; I have been dealing with my own gender biases since my little sister came out as lesbian, ultimately becoming a trans man, and over literally decades I have been uncovering my own prejudices, bigotry, and frankly my complete lack of understanding.  I feel enlightened by this discussion and I feel like my mind is a little more open at least.
This is a really commendable response, and I appreciate your willingness to listen to our points of view. It can be difficult and painful to examine our thoughts and biases the way you are, and I'm glad you're taking it to heart.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
147k subscribers…

texascybergothic

• Rep: 80
This is one of the biggest bummers in skateboarding in a long time. Her mass tagging of right wing mouth pieces and outlets is one of the most hateful, disingenuous and opportunistic things I've ever seen in this craft. It's cruel and shows an utter lack of compassion, because this sort of shit could cause serious harm to the person who bested her at that contest. This thread has been full of assholes but also a lot of support for trans people, proof of how much change still needs to come.

Anyways, this girl sucks at skating and I have never been one to say anyone sucks at skating, to be honest. She can't even scratch coping in a bowl, her kickflips are mobbed, and all she does is backside boardslides. All of this is truly besides the point however, which is that her heart is empty and corrupted.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
147k subscribers…

I hope this stupid shit doesn’t make FOX or I’ll have to have this dumbass conversation with my in-laws

Edit- like Bigeskatefase said- keep this shit in-house. Nothing more annoying than trying to explain a skate controversy to outsiders who already have an opinion despite not knowing anything

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
This is one of the biggest bummers in skateboarding in a long time. Her mass tagging of right wing mouth pieces and outlets is one of the most hateful, disingenuous and opportunistic things I've ever seen in this craft. It's cruel and shows an utter lack of compassion, because this sort of shit could cause serious harm to the person who bested her at that contest. This thread has been full of assholes but also a lot of support for trans people, proof of how much change still needs to come.

Anyways, this girl sucks at skating and I have never been one to say anyone sucks at skating, to be honest. She can't even scratch coping in a bowl, her kickflips are mobbed, and all she does is backside boardslides. All of this is truly besides the point however, which is that her heart is empty and corrupted.

seriously. i don’t think i’ve been this angry about something in skateboarding in years

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
147k subscribers…

Can't wait for all the videos of burning Red Bull cans.

poopnutsupreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494

You literally posted the dictionary definition of a women in response to others. I don’t care about your story, it doesn’t mean your transphobic remarks just wash away. Fuck off
Any dude that hates on roller hockey hasn't played, and likely haven't played a sport in their entire life.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
sorry...had to look.  Here we have the fine white supremacist specimen.   The Punisher and American flag appropriations are the tell tale sings.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
More like Grifted Skater, amiright?

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 79

1:53 and 49:32

one of the funniest things about Tim Pool picking up this pathetic transphobe's whining tirade is that she didn't even consider him to be a relevant enough right-wing commentator to tag him in the first place but he's the only one who actually responded lol fucking losers, both of them

went and checked out the girl who won's IG. she gets rad in the streets. Taylor should take some notes

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
Gotta say these have been a big and validating two days for the “skateboarding is not a sport” and contest-hating crowd.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

velvethammer

• Rep: -8
Intellectual dishonesty seems to be progressive with most people replying in this thread. Is the next phase of this race?
White guy is now identifying as an Asian woman applying for a job at google. If people are afraid to say a man cannot have a baby, where does it end?

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61

one of the funniest things about Tim Pool picking up this pathetic transphobe's whining tirade is that she didn't even consider him to be a relevant enough right-wing commentator to tag him in the first place but he's the only one who actually responded lol fucking losers, both of them

went and checked out the girl who won's IG. she gets rad in the streets. Taylor should take some notes

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
Here we go....

cky enthusiast

attn right wing dudes i will fade you if you start showing up to skate spaces and don’t keep that goofy shit to yourself

waffle

• Rep: 125
All trans stuff aside:

If you watch this girl skate on her insta it’s clear she’s objectively bad. Like zero chance of entering any legit contest bad (can’t ollie up a curb, struggles to 50-50 a 2ft bowl).

I think this grifting is her best chance at making any name in skateboarding, and I think she knows that.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Intellectual dishonesty seems to be progressive with most people replying in this thread. Is the next phase of this race?
White guy is now identifying as an Asian woman applying for a job at google. If people are afraid to say a man cannot have a baby, where does it end?

Cool slippery slope 

nothing's been the since same