Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59926 times)

sebastian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
I was envisioning a situation such as the recent swimming competition scandal, but jesus once I saw that recap I have no idea how she imagines she deserves any money for the level of skating she's at. Fuck this person for real, for being trying to put others down and for trying to make this a political thing, should be kooked to oblivion.

I'm just trying to imagine myself competing in the open series of a contest only to be shown up by a 12 year old, and getting mad they're not in the 12 and under series. Might have to re-evaluate the level you're at with skateboarding. Fuck she really did receive money for what I saw was shitty fakie bigspin on a pyramid corner.

AnotherOldSkater

• Rep: -23
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

TL;DR:  taylor is a zionist kook and tim pool is bald
[close]

If you're going to call someone out for being anti-trans, maybe don't use anti-Semitic slurs
[close]

Zionism is a political project. It's not anti Semitic to criticize an ethno-nationalist project that has been operating an apartheid state for decades
[close]

Dale Sr. is absolutely correct. And Tim Pool is a bald rollerblader is probably more accurate.
[close]
yeah you're right, referring to the only jewish nation in the world as an "ethno-nationalist project", which is common phrase used by anti-semites, definitely isn't anti-semitic. As i said before, maybe don't call people out for being hateful and bigoted by using hateful and bigoted expressions... just a thought
[close]

It’s literally an ethno-nationalist project. This isn’t controversial and is a source of pride for many Zionists, including my own family. It’s also an explicit part of Israeli law.
You're missing the forest for the trees, calling someone a "zionist kook" is using the word zionist in a derogatory manner. And guess what zionist is code for??? There was no need to use the word zionist at all and it was used in a way to minimize and demean the chick even further. Defend the poster all you want, they were being anti-semetic. There is a massive difference between the academic and political term zionist and the way it was used in this situation

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

If you're going to call someone out for being anti-trans, maybe don't use anti-Semitic slurs
[close]

Zionism is a political project. It's not anti Semitic to criticize an ethno-nationalist project that has been operating an apartheid state for decades
[close]

Dale Sr. is absolutely correct. And Tim Pool is a bald rollerblader is probably more accurate.
[close]
yeah you're right, referring to the only jewish nation in the world as an "ethno-nationalist project", which is common phrase used by anti-semites, definitely isn't anti-semitic. As i said before, maybe don't call people out for being hateful and bigoted by using hateful and bigoted expressions... just a thought
[close]

It’s literally an ethno-nationalist project. This isn’t controversial and is a source of pride for many Zionists, including my own family. It’s also an explicit part of Israeli law.
[close]
You're missing the forest for the trees, calling someone a "zionist kook" is using the word zionist in a derogatory manner. And guess what zionist is code for??? There was no need to use the word zionist at all and it was used in a way to minimize and demean the chick even further. Defend the poster all you want, they were being anti-semetic. There is a massive difference between the academic and political term zionist and the way it was used in this situation

It saddens me to report that the goys are once again at it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

AnotherOldSkater

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

holy shit ever chud in here just keeps going mask off and showing how little they actually know about progressive issues and human rights
I'm not defending the anti-trans chick at all. I am calling out that using the word zionist to describe someone in a demeaning manner is anti-semitic, despite what you think

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

holy shit ever chud in here just keeps going mask off and showing how little they actually know about progressive issues and human rights
[close]
I'm not defending the anti-trans chick at all. I am calling out that using the word zionist to describe someone in a demeaning manner is anti-semitic, despite what you think

Get your Zionist anti-trans rhetoric out of here
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Nah dude you're trying to use accusations of anti semitism to obscure the political nature of Zionism as a movement. No other political ethno-nationalist movement gets that same grace. It would be absurd to defend south African apartheid by labeling criticism of that regime as anti Dutch. Just as absurd as people defending the open air prison camp that gaza has become for Palestinians who were unfortunate enough to be born in a hostile apartheid state

AnotherOldSkater

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Nah dude you're trying to use accusations of anti semitism to obscure the political nature of Zionism as a movement. No other political ethno-nationalist movement gets that same grace. It would be absurd to defend south African apartheid by labeling criticism of that regime as anti Dutch. Just as absurd as people defending the open air prison camp that gaza has become for Palestinians who were unfortunate enough to be born in a hostile apartheid state
What does Israel have to do with this specific controversy over trans rights? Why was the word zionist even brought up? And why use the term zionist kook when the word kook (or literally any other adjective preceding kook) would work just as well? That is the point I am trying to make, when you purposefully insert a word like that and use it in a derogatory sense it has nothing to do with the political issue of that land and everything to do with being hateful. So go ahead and ignore that key part of my argument all you want, but as a jew I get really tired of people using the valid political debate around israel as a guise for their anti-semitism 

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
I don't really want to wade into this sludge but it's made me think a little. I think it's fair to say that the level in women's skating is lower due to there having been such a smaller talent pool to draw from and so the chances of a woman reaching the same level as male pros have been much more unlikely. However, this is changing fast and I'm super hyped to see it. Whenever I go to the park now there are generally more girls of maybe 8-15 skating compared to boys and they do not fuck about, they are going for it! My friend is a skate teacher and it's very noticeable how much better the female students are than the male ones, they take it way more seriously, are way more "into" skating interns of watching videos/knowing tricks/dressing like a skater, learn faster and generally have way more balls too (no pun unintended). I can perhaps see why people have a prejudice towards trans women competing in combat sports (whether or not that is right isn't for me to say but I think the idea of someone who was once male striking a female is jarring to a lot of people) however it seems to me that in things like gymnastics/ice skating where you're just competing with your own agility etc and the talent pool of men and women is probably similar in number there doesn't seem to be much difference between the men and women and each gender have things they can do that the other can't. Perhaps one day we'll see fully mixed competition which would put an end to all this nonsense but even if we don't, I think the women's level will soon reach a point where a trans woman doesn't stick out. Even if we don't, fuck this transphobic bullshit, this is skateboarding. This woman is such a fucking kook, she should be more than grateful to ever have been given any money/spotlight for skating at her level and calling in the alt right is utterly heinous. Let her go play with the other grifters, there's no place for that nonsense here.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
What does Israel have to do with this specific controversy over trans rights? Why was the word zionist even brought up? And why use the term zionist kook when the word kook (or literally any other adjective preceding kook) would work just as well? That is the point I am trying to make, when you purposefully insert a word like that and use it in a derogatory sense it has nothing to do with the political issue of that land and everything to do with being hateful. So go ahead and ignore that key part of my argument all you want, but as a jew I get really tired of people using the valid political debate around israel as a guise for their anti-semitism

Here is a practical proposal to you. Discuss the basic facts of the oppression of the Palestinians by Israel as much as you can and going right down to the basics of the racism of everyday. Point out the obvious contradiction between what the majority of American Jews demand for themselves in the USA, and what they defend in Israel. Do not be intimidated in the struggle against racism and for human dignity, equality and freedom, by any demagoguery about peace and democracy, if they are used in the cause of discrimination, and perhaps the words of the prophet (Amos 5. 15) will come true; Hate the evil and love the good and establish judgment in the gate, it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious to the remnant
of Joseph.
Alexander Cockburn

We're lumping that in because it's another discriminatory belief that she has. She is trying to incite a bunch of bad faith right wing outrage merchants to disrupt our culture and attack trans skaters. Just like she also supports the apartheid state of Israel. My criticism has nothing to do with anti semitism and is fully about the slow moving genocide the state of Israel has been waging against Palestinians for over fifty years

skunty

• Rep: 73
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just put myself in the 1st place winners shoes and I am gutted.  I wish I had started with that.  I 100% support her and her peers.  I am one of those rational/logical people that wants everything to be zeroes and ones and I approached this topic with a dictionary.  When I took an emotional peek at not only the topic but also the person(s) involved, it made me sad about my position here.

I did quickly edit out my congratulations to Taylor but some folks picked up on it.

Congratulations to the person who was judged 1st place by the people at the actual event.  I just went to find that person’s name but evidently Taylor Silverman has been put in 1st place and there is only a 2nd placer, no 3rd.

I apologize, sincerely, if my statements offended anyone; I have been dealing with my own gender biases since my little sister came out as lesbian, ultimately becoming a trans man, and over literally decades I have been uncovering my own prejudices, bigotry, and frankly my complete lack of understanding.  I feel enlightened by this discussion and I feel like my mind is a little more open at least.
[close]

You literally posted the dictionary definition of a women in response to others. I don’t care about your story, it doesn’t mean your transphobic remarks just wash away. Fuck off
[close]

Come on, dude. Scorching people who are legitimately trying and are willing to put it out there in the spirit of getting somewhere on all this ?
[close]

Oh sorry, next time I’ll bring out the red carpet.
[close]

God damn dude, your reaction would be warranted if he dug his heels in and said nothing and didn’t express the desire to learn and change.

All that you are accomplishing by throwing a shit fit like this is trying to make yourself look and feel superior by dunking on someone who has expressly admitted they were wrong and wants to improve.

Not to mention, a member of the trans community has recognized that he is willing to change and learn; as well as commended his response and seen he has taken this lesson to heart.

Stop making this issue about yourself, and see it for what it is: an opportunity where someone who needed education was receptive to it. That’s a small W in this massive trainwreck.
[close]

Yes, telling someone to fuck off for saying transphobic shit is making it about me. Like I said next time I’ll bring out the red carpet. I’m happy he’s willing to change but I don’t have to fucking root for him.
[close]

You could also just shut up.

he did dig his heels in initially. the timeline of events is: 1) dofrenzy comes in says hes not a transphobe but ultimately he agrees with Taylor and that she is the rightful winner. 2) then he gets called out on it, so 3) he makes another comment that simulatenously apologizes and also doubles down on the transphobic shit with giving dictionary definitions. 4) after getting called on that he's apologizing, claiming to have had this big revelation and learned a lot 5) then poopnuts says his apology doesnt absolve him and then 6) dofrezny says sorry again and says he'll leave if anyone wants him to. has he grown? i dunno. he sure wants us to think so, but then again he wanted us to think he's not transphobic in his first message and wanted us to think he was apologetic in his 2nd message. Then he comes in to say that he gives poopnuts a pass as if poopnuts is the one on trial here. if youre actually apologetic and learning "you could also just shut up"

cky enthusiast

@dofrenzy some things are lost between generations- i got what you meant and you’re all good.

Logic

• Rep: 35
the gender and sex binary (as opposed to a fluid spectrum, for example) have been debunked both scientifically and philosophically, hence why ppl that keep bringing up the “irrefutable differences” between the “two genders/sexes are getting called transphobic.

*WARNING* dweeb mode activated:

Scientifically, we now know through medical science that there are more options out there than XX and XY for our 23rd pair of chromosomes, and this is normal. Additionally, our cognitive behavior is not rigidly related to our sex at birth either, so bc of this, trying to assign a gender binary to a non-binary sexual spectrum leads to immediate failure (or contradiction).

When it comes to physical prowess, creating arbitrary  pseudoscientific delineators of sex/gender performance have harmed the women’s liberation movement too, with the example of cis women with naturally high testosterone levels being prohibited from participating in certain high-level track and field events.

Yet the path of transition is a grueling one physically, emotionally, and socially. You CAN’T just wake up one day and “decide to put on a dress” and compete in women’s division—it takes a huge toll, not only bc of transition hormone therapy, which I’d argue diminishes your athletic ability. Under patriarchy, heteronormativity, and bio absolutism, a trans person’s existence is illegitimate. If anything, I would personally opine that, even besides the physical limitations that hormone therapy ensues, the social reality of living while trans is handicap enough for ppl to suggest they have an advantage or it should be “separate but equal” and then get mad at being called “transphobe”

Philosophically, not all opinions are equally true. Mao spoke in this sense of “contradictions” that could become antagonistic if those opinions could not coexist. In his Marxist-Leninist train of thought, he saw the main antagonist of the oppressed as the bourgeoisie, with the main antagonistic contradiction being class struggle and exploitation of the proletariat/peasant’s production power for accumulation of capital. Antagonistic contradictions NEED to be assessed empirically (material evidence, which shapes consciousness) to determine the better or truer one.

If we apply this framework to sex & gender absolutists’ opinions, it’s saying these ppl think there is a biological contradiction between cis women and trans women that is antagonistic and cannot coexist to achieve “women’s” freedom. However, women are not a monolith and there are plenty non-antagonistic contradictions in their lived realities, yet the unwavering contradiction to women’s liberation is the patriarchy (hand in hand with imperialism-capitalism) where the latter group will never benefit from the former’s liberation, hence collaboration is untenable. On the other hand, when ciswomen and transwomen recognize they have the same oppressor, it should become immediately clear that this contradiction is not antagonistic, as both cis and trans women will benefit from women’s liberation even if the specifics are different.

for more info, go to: https://proletarianfeministresearchgroup.wordpress.com/

TL;DR: cis women and trans women are different, but they share a common oppressor and common goal, hence biological absolutism (women are born not made) goes against the feminist objective of liberation from patriarchy, and really only serves the oppressor. The Zionist-TERF internet lady is not a feminist, and neither are those defending her, she’s just being a narcissistic and hypocritical opportunist.

edit: typo of “peasant” as “lease at”

And there only citation provided here leads us to a BLOG from a feminist group, hardly a neutral source at that nor one that any proper researcher would ever include. Philosophy/sociology in particular are very broad and diverse fields with many competing frameworks, it's not exactly difficult to cherry pick one that's suited to your idealist beliefs and call it a day.

Unfortunately, given the "You're either with us or against us" mentality that's rife here, there isn't much room for rational discussion/inquiry.

The Titular sk8r boi

• Rep: 3
Expand Quote
the gender and sex binary (as opposed to a fluid spectrum, for example) have been debunked both scientifically and philosophically, hence why ppl that keep bringing up the “irrefutable differences” between the “two genders/sexes are getting called transphobic.

Scientifically, we now know through medical science that there are more options out there than XX and XY for our 23rd pair of chromosomes, and this is normal. Additionally, our cognitive behavior is not rigidly related to our sex at birth either, so bc of this, trying to assign a gender binary to a non-binary sexual spectrum leads to immediate failure (or contradiction).

When it comes to physical prowess, creating arbitrary  pseudoscientific delineators of sex/gender performance have harmed the women’s liberation movement too, with the example of cis women with naturally high testosterone levels being prohibited from participating in certain high-level track and field events.

Yet the path of transition is a grueling one physically, emotionally, and socially. You CAN’T just wake up one day and “decide to put on a dress” and compete in women’s division—it takes a huge toll, not only bc of transition hormone therapy, which I’d argue diminishes your athletic ability. Under patriarchy, heteronormativity, and bio absolutism, a trans person’s existence is illegitimate. If anything, I would personally opine that, even besides the physical limitations that hormone therapy ensues, the social reality of living while trans is handicap enough for ppl to suggest they have an advantage or it should be “separate but equal” and then get mad at being called “transphobe”

Philosophically, not all opinions are equally true. Mao spoke in this sense of “contradictions” that could become antagonistic if those opinions could not coexist. In his Marxist-Leninist train of thought, he saw the main antagonist of the oppressed as the bourgeoisie, with the main antagonistic contradiction being class struggle and exploitation of the proletariat/peasant’s production power for accumulation of capital. Antagonistic contradictions NEED to be assessed empirically (material evidence, which shapes consciousness) to determine the better or truer one.

If we apply this framework to sex & gender absolutists’ opinions, it’s saying these ppl think there is a biological contradiction between cis women and trans women that is antagonistic and cannot coexist to achieve “women’s” freedom. However, women are not a monolith and there are plenty non-antagonistic contradictions in their lived realities, yet the unwavering contradiction to women’s liberation is the patriarchy (hand in hand with imperialism-capitalism) where the latter group will never benefit from the former’s liberation, hence collaboration is untenable. On the other hand, when ciswomen and transwomen recognize they have the same oppressor, it should become immediately clear that this contradiction is not antagonistic, as both cis and trans women will benefit from women’s liberation even if the specifics are different.

TL;DR: cis women and trans women are different, but they share a common oppressor and common goal, hence biological absolutism (women are born not made) goes against the feminist objective of liberation from patriarchy, and really only serves the oppressor. The Zionist-TERF internet lady is not a feminist, and neither are those defending her, she’s just being a narcissistic and hypocritical opportunist.

[close]

And there only citation provided here leads us to a BLOG from a feminist group, hardly a neutral source at that nor one that any proper researcher would ever include. Philosophy/sociology in particular are very broad and diverse fields with many competing frameworks, it's not exactly difficult to cherry pick one that's suited to your idealist beliefs and call it a day.

Unfortunately, given the "You're either with us or against us" mentality that's rife here, there isn't much room for rational discussion/inquiry.
take it up with the debate pyramid dweeb, nobody is buying your shit

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • daddy bought you a pony
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
I like the maturely level of this conversation. 

Good stuff people. 

I have no doubt of the positive impact this is having on our skateboard community. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
You all deserve a Famous Stars and Straps timeout.

2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

There is a Jewish state. Zionism is essentially nationalism.
It's why the Palestinians keep getting more and more occupied, and why African refugees are immediately put in prison.

Fuck off with the anti Semitism shit, it's a completely unrelated thing.

baulsacc_mcvinegar

• Rep: 2

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
Future sports caster for OAN right there.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
Who is princess Arby’s, and what did she do to hurt Wackingball’s feelings?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal

Imagine bragging that you're talking to one of the worst exports of the country that took colonialism to the next level

Magnolia

• Rep: 441
  • She/They
Marbie, and she existed
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

Logic

• Rep: 35
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The very same one that you've failed to go above the two bottom levels? At the very least, you're just reaffirming the whole "with us or against us" mob mentality bs going on here.

The Titular sk8r boi

• Rep: 3
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

The very same one that you've failed to go above the two bottom levels? At the very least, you're just reaffirming the whole "with us or against us" mob mentality bs going on here.
is it as tiresome being you as it is interacting with you?

baulsacc_mcvinegar

• Rep: 2
Future sports caster for OAN right there.

you just know the only reason she's smiling is because she sees the bag within reach

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
I’m curious what Taylor the transphobe expects to come from all this?

By showing her true colors, she’s out of the skate world in any meaningful way. I guess she joins the right wing troll network and grifts away with all those asshats?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
Expand Quote
[close]
Marbie, and she existed

Ah, thank you kindly. What an ass. Whatever, Marbie seems like more fun to skate with than Weck.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
Expand Quote

[close]

Imagine bragging that you're talking to one of the worst exports of the country that took colonialism to the next level
Grossss

Get hungry on it!