Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59802 times)

Frank and Fred

How can we expect Venture riders and Ace riders to compete against each other for chrissakes?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
Pants size division would be kind of sick though.

They need to add a new section: Street, Park, Huckers - just huge drops people can ollie off of.

Rune Spliffberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 99
Expand Quote
Pants size division would be kind of sick though.
[close]

They need to add a new section: Street, Park, Huckers - just huge drops people can ollie off of.

loading dock section

ouricecreammachineisdown

• Rep: -11
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"trans division" thing seems to just reinforce the idea that trans people aren't ~real~ women/men/etc. Also feel like a person shouldn't have to out themselves as trans just because some fucking dweebs don't want to lose to them. It's all just weird othering bs. The solution is that if someone is afraid that a trans person might smoke them in a comp - the transphobe can sit the fuck out.
[close]
amen.
[close]

That's basically what they did with alternative skateboarding in X games. Individuals with special needs still doing their thing and competing. A lot of people are making way more out of this than it really is. Everybody is a "real" person. Nobody isn't saying that there's a reason why cisgender adult men pop their tricks higher versus female counterparts. If we can put the virtue signaling on hold for 2 seconds a lot of the bullshit would subside. Everybody is welcome to enjoy and congregate in skateboarding but competition is where more rules and restrictions involved.
[close]

You're right. I suggest we have separate divisions not just for dividing cis and trans people, but also for height, weight, shoe size, hair length, deck size, years you've been skating, the number of boards you can ollie, maybe even a division where everyone that has the same best trick can compete against each other. We need to have rules and restrictions like you said. How good you are is irrelevant. We have to make sure it's a completely level playing field for every skateboarder because we don't want to have someone who can pop higher than someone else being called out online by someone with less pop.

Knew this comment was coming and would be a gigantic reach with twisting everything I said unto some other shit. Again, let's keep virtue signaling and ignore the elephant in the room. This chick complaining is the worst again the setting of competition places limitations and restrictions that give it structure. I'm for the Tampa pro/am style where it's everybody myself.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"trans division" thing seems to just reinforce the idea that trans people aren't ~real~ women/men/etc. Also feel like a person shouldn't have to out themselves as trans just because some fucking dweebs don't want to lose to them. It's all just weird othering bs. The solution is that if someone is afraid that a trans person might smoke them in a comp - the transphobe can sit the fuck out.
[close]
amen.
[close]

That's basically what they did with alternative skateboarding in X games. Individuals with special needs still doing their thing and competing. A lot of people are making way more out of this than it really is. Everybody is a "real" person. Nobody isn't saying that there's a reason why cisgender adult men pop their tricks higher versus female counterparts. If we can put the virtue signaling on hold for 2 seconds a lot of the bullshit would subside. Everybody is welcome to enjoy and congregate in skateboarding but competition is where more rules and restrictions involved.
[close]

You're right. I suggest we have separate divisions not just for dividing cis and trans people, but also for height, weight, shoe size, hair length, deck size, years you've been skating, the number of boards you can ollie, maybe even a division where everyone that has the same best trick can compete against each other. We need to have rules and restrictions like you said. How good you are is irrelevant. We have to make sure it's a completely level playing field for every skateboarder because we don't want to have someone who can pop higher than someone else being called out online by someone with less pop.
I’m not even gonna touch the original point about gender divisions or whatever, I’m just gonna point out that plenty of sports already have weight classes and other divisions beyond gender classes. I would be unironically psyched to watch comps divided into like height and weight classes. I wanna see who becomes boss of the lanky squad, as well as who is the dopest Thicc King/Queen

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
amen.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Knew this comment was coming and would be a gigantic reach with twisting everything I said unto some other shit. Again, let's keep virtue signaling and ignore the elephant in the room. This chick complaining is the worst again the setting of competition places limitations and restrictions that give it structure. I'm for the Tampa pro/am style where it's everybody myself.
If you’re trying to have a real conversation stop saying “virtue signaling”. “You all are fake” is not a good opener.

ouricecreammachineisdown

• Rep: -11
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
amen.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
If you’re trying to have a real conversation stop saying “virtue signaling”. “You all are fake” is not a good opener.

I had a real conversation and some facetious ass response followed.

baulsacc_mcvinegar

• Rep: 2
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
amen.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

What is the implication of your comment? Like cool okay I'll stop virtue signalling (whatever that means), so now propose a solution that doesn't involve completely needlessly segregating individuals from the competition due to an advantage that you can't actually prove exists.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
There shouldn’t even be gender/sex based divisions in skate comps anyways

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
amen.
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

You said “virtue signaling” twice already. No one is gonna take you seriously if you talk that way.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
to an extent i agree that in strength-based sports there should be a separate category for trans athletes.
but having gone on that girl's instagram, she's kind of dogshit at skating. no idea how she even got second
[close]

Why?

What is a strength based sport? Do you mean combat sports?
i haven't researched this so i may be completely wrong, feel free to educate me if that's the case.

combat sports definitely apply, as do weightlifting, sprint/endurance running, etc. i have nothing against trans people of any kind, but it's undeniable that there are biological differences regardless of identity; someone biologically male is likely to be physically stronger, have a bulkier 'build', and be able to build muscle faster.
this of course IS irrelevant to skating contests, though it differs in other fields.

please don't mistake my opinion for transphobia, as i am merely going off what feels reasonable with minimal knowledge
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
There shouldn’t even be gender/sex based divisions in skate comps anyways

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
People are so dumb to post stuff like this. There was no good outcome. Should have realistically thought "Is red bull going to take away prize money and ban trans competitors from entering womens?" I think that was a MASSIVE stretch to think that actually would have happened. Just think things through for like 10 seconds and you could come to that conclusion.

Men are more competitive than women at high levels is kind of why it seems like Men have this Advantage in skating. In Street Fighter, we dont have different men and womens divisions, but there are a few female players who rise above and compete with some of the best men. Also, there is a French Soul Caliber player Kayane who has proved she is even better than most men

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayane#:~:text=Marie%2DLaure%20Norindr%20(born%2017,been%20playing%20competitively%20since%202001.

I have also read about Scrabble tournaments. Generally women are much better than men in language skills, but men still seem to dominate scrabble tournaments for the most part just because I think there are more degenerate men out there who are willing to sink the time into something so hard to out-do the next mans. That is ultimtaely what competitive environments boil down to. There will alwys be salt when money is involved thats why a lot of people choose not to get invovled. look at all the bigotry and racism created as a result. and to think on the flip side i wonder how stoked that trans skater was when she won that contest and now for it all to be soured by salt.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42

Something similar happened in surfing recently.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856

Something similar happened in surfing recently.
Wonder how he got that black eye. Also 666 likes ahhhhh scary

Hastings

• Rep: 37
Kinda think it should be down to the woman to decide, who competes in their divisions, not guys... what do most girls think about it?

Anyway, all I actually know is that Taylor Silverman deserves wheelbite in the rain and nothing more. She is almost the polar opposite of a skateboarder.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
It’d be interesting to see how this would play out in the WNBA. If a full Juwanna Mann scenario actually happened, would people be cool with it or would they cry foul?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and call this a far-fetched hypothetical.

steele

• Rep: 31
Complaining to Piers Morgan about a local contest result is what skateboarding is about.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
It’d be interesting to see how this would play out in the WNBA. If a full Juwanna Mann scenario actually happened, would people be cool with it or would they cry foul?

Since we’re doing dumb hypotheticals let’s discuss. The man considering this I assume be able to look up median salary for the two leagues- median salary in the WNBA is around $120k with the highest paid making around double that. We’ll just ignore endorsements since I don’t think any company wants to be endorsed by someone doing this.

By contrast the median salary in the NBA is $4 million. So Juwanna Man’s best option is to be a scrub in the NBA, if they can. If they can’t, I would guess that playing international ball is better- salary is competitive with the WNBA and they might get some extra endorsement money.

But say they’re not good enough for either option- is WNBA so much worse than men’s basketball that a scrub who can’t make more than a couple hundred thousand in international ball is gonna dominate womens just on account of gender? I doubt that. 

So Juwanna Man is gonna be a running joke worldwide for the privilege of making some not incredible salary in the WNBA. It’s a wonder why no one has tried this yet.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Expand Quote

[close]
Since we’re doing dumb hypotheticals let’s discuss. The man considering this I assume be able to look up median salary for the two leagues- median salary in the WNBA is around $120k with the highest paid making around double that. We’ll just ignore endorsements since I don’t think any company wants to be endorsed by someone doing this.

By contrast the median salary in the NBA is $4 million. So Juwanna Man’s best option is to be a scrub in the NBA, if they can. If they can’t, I would guess that playing international ball is better- salary is competitive with the WNBA and they might get some extra endorsement money.

But say they’re not good enough for either option- is WNBA so much worse than men’s basketball that a scrub who can’t make more than a couple hundred thousand in international ball is gonna dominate womens just on account of gender? I doubt that. 

So Juwanna Man is gonna be a running joke worldwide for the privilege of making some not incredible salary in the WNBA. It’s a wonder why no one has tried this yet.

For the record, women’s hoops has always been far more fundamentally-sound and I’ve never known females to be turned away from pickup games if they can ball. The playing field, to me, is level there.

Sure they might not be catching as many lobs, but women’s hoops is more of a basketball purist’s game.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
1:00:45

somefucker

just reinforces that taylor knew who she was up against, competed anyway, lost, then complained.

dumb

IpathCats

please don't mistake my opinion for transphobia, as i am merely going off what feels reasonable with minimal knowledge

I don't think you're a transphobe, i was asking those questions to illustrate my point. There are very clear reasons why we have separate leagues, and none of them have to do with trans people.

People can say that all women are women as much as they want, and people can identify as whatever they want, but none of that changes or affects the reasons that we separated the leagues in the first place. It just sucks that people can't be more honest about these things.

People perceive this as trans people just trying to get easy wins/money, but i dont think its like that at all. I feel like its just them trying to be who they identify as, and assimilate into that gender. I don't think anyone would care if a trans man was trying to compete in mens sports. How many trans men are able to compete at higher levels in mens sports?

This Taylor Chick does kinda seem like a kook though. Tim Pool is a fucking turbo kook. He seems like the type of guy to ride his trucks with like 6 threads showing.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
Okay now y'all are just beating a dead Mikey.

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200

So she went from, "I can't speak for anyone else" to all of a sudden she talked to "hundreds of people in the skate community" and 100% of them agreed? Riiiiiiiight  ::)

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Heckride in the Holy Land!

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
Went to faux news wondering if she'd be on there and yup...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/female-skateboarder-trans-competitor-future-daughters

Monopolyman

Went to faux news wondering if she'd be on there and yup...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/female-skateboarder-trans-competitor-future-daughters

“Silverman discussed the discomfort and fear of being blackballed that she’s been dealing with since speaking out”

Yeah, when you don’t even have a shop sponsor at 27, being blackballed by the industry definitely seems like the thing you should be worried about

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Man. Bringing this “problem” to sensationalist news outlets that find content to feed into their predetermined narrative isn’t a way to have a discussion.

Silverman brought this discussion to Instagram, where people are having the discussion. She opened the discussion up to that public forum and is upset It’s not going her way. All for what a measly sum of money.

The interviewer keeps saying that we can’t even have a discussion but there is a discussion happening. Not just what you want to hear. The interviewer sort of avoids having an opinion on the matter by focusing on the issues of a free discussion. Man this chick is a kook. Calling skateboarding a sport and discussing the issue on national news chains that have nothing to do with skateboarding is a huge low. Real thick headed and seems ready to die on her hill as she reiterates her point and doesn’t seem open to any sort of information that doesn’t favor her talking point.

She went on some weird shit about her children (what does that have to do with anything) The hundreds of skaters that agree. Some other wild stuff was said holy shit.

Edit: what was up with the smear campaign comment? That sounded sort of paranoid. She also brought this to the attention of mass media. Weird ass conservative outlets too. 

nothing's been the since same

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
Is there any footage of female skaters doing tricks over picnic tables on flat?