Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 59474 times)

Monopolyman

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7n878/female-skateboarder-becomes-right-wing-hero-after-losing-to-woman-getting-very-upset-on-instagram

This was well written.  Writer is non-binary so that perspective was useful, and it was nice hearing from female voices in the midwest contest scene commenting too.

Matze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

My grandmother was 16 when she was forced by nazi’s to do labour and gave one of the cc prisoners who worked there a piece of butter. She got caught, her teeth got beaten out and she got send to Bergen Belsen. My Grandmother and Anne Frank were there at the same time, got both typhoid fever but my grandmother survived barely .. she couldn’t remember the brits freeing the survivors.

Anyway, fuck you.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61

djoekr

• Rep: 290
The Kook Of The Year candidates line-up is stacked this year.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is there any footage of female skaters doing tricks over picnic tables on flat?
[close]

Not sure but here’s a 14 year old back lipping Hollywood 16. Of course there are capabilities of different people, sizes, shapes. The girl currently parading around her woes is just an awful skater getting found out. A dying breed, her side hustle being swiped by a trans person should be the least of her worries. Soon she’ll be avoiding 9 year old girls at the skatepark asking her for games of s.k.a.t.e because they know she’s easy prey. It sucks to feel dated and untalented but that’s just skating for most people after their late 20s.
http://www.instagram.com/reel/CdzQNtEguvQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
[close]

That is gnarly. I am not a fan of watching skate contests, but I did watch the Olympics, and I definitely thought watching the young girls huck and get gnarly was way more entertaining than the mens skating.
[close]
man i found the olympics to be a bummer for this exact reason. watching a bunch of little kids get broke off jumping down stairs is not my idea of great sports tv.
[close]
Don't mind comps really but also wasn't into the Olympics. Couldn't not wonder when it crosses the line and is just child labour/child endangerment

Oh I also agree with all of this. Especially when they mentioned that one of the girls used to train in another Olympic sport but was then moved to skateboard training by her country.

youreamug

• Rep: 22
I'm sure this comment of mine will go on the slap message board so here is goes: Why is it that almost every skateboarder that starts posting on social media looses all their beautiful dignity?
There are rare exceptions to this fact.

drewdown

• Rep: -30
I'm sure this comment of mine will go on the slap message board so here is goes: Why is it that almost every skateboarder that starts posting on social media looses all their beautiful dignity?
There are rare exceptions to this fact.

It’s got to be some self righteous validation/affirmation that people like him need so badly.  Maybe they got it while they were still relevant and now this is their way of getting without being relevant?  Or they’ve just been kooks their entire life and social media has allowed them to make it known to the world. 

Punished Skateboards

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
https://youtu.be/V7ITmbS6Dio

i'm not gonna watch that, but the person speaking with taylor is a trans woman from what i've read on her yt channel, does she support taylor's point of view or no?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Spectre

• Rep: -40
Expand Quote

i'm not gonna watch that, but the person speaking with taylor is a trans woman from what i've read on her yt channel, does she support taylor's point of view or no?

Just watch it if you really wanna know. What are you scared of?

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
Expand Quote

I scrolled through her Twitter real quick and it's... interesting. Looks like she supports Taylor, and is more general anti trans and cis women competing together. Internalized transphobia/misogyny has to be rough on the psyche
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

roba

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

it's not that i'm scared, i'm just not that much into listening to taylor talking about not getting enough money for an hour

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
I scrolled through her Twitter real quick and it's... interesting. Looks like she supports Taylor, and is more general anti trans and cis women competing together. Internalized transphobia/misogyny has to be rough on the psyche

that's funny, we have a liberal-conservative party in poland that's very much against lgbtq rights and they used to bring up an unknown character called "gay friend" and talk about how "gay friend" hates all lgbtq activists and their "propaganda", equality marches etc. because they bring unwanted attention. of course nobody ever heard from "gay friend" directly, it's always quotes. maybe sara is that gay friend 
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

bootscootboogy

• Rep: 3
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it's not that i'm scared, i'm just not that much into listening to taylor talking about not getting enough money for an hour

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

that's funny, we have a liberal-conservative party in poland that's very much against lgbtq rights and they used to bring up an unknown character called "gay friend" and talk about how "gay friend" hates all lgbtq activists and their "propaganda", equality marches etc. because they bring unwanted attention. of course nobody ever heard from "gay friend" directly, it's always quotes. maybe sara is that gay friend

Here in America we say “I’m not a racist all the black guys at work like me”.

Magnolia

• Rep: 412
  • She/They
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

This sort of thing actually pains me, I can't imagine disavowing the queer community in hopes of being respected by conservatives for being "one of the good ones." And that respect isn't real! She's acting as a mouthpiece for a movement that would call her a pedophile and incite violence against her if she were less willing to debase herself for reactionary rage clicks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna30511 This is where all this transphobia leads.
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

roba

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
This sort of thing actually pains me, I can't imagine disavowing the queer community in hopes of being respected by conservatives for being "one of the good ones." And that respect isn't real! She's acting as a mouthpiece for a movement that would call her a pedophile and incite violence against her if she were less willing to debase herself for reactionary rage clicks

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna30511 This is where all this transphobia leads.

that was my first thought, i shouldn't really be speaking on that matter but i feel like if sara truly felt that she was a woman, shouldn't she want to be treated like and put in the same categories as biological women? i'd love to be proved wrong but to me it looks like all that stuff is a cheap attempt at getting some kind of notoriety, and an extremely selfish attempt at that because she's throwing other trans women under the bus and separating them from biological women just to get on some conservative asshole's podcast or some shit like that. it's fucking weird.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

skunty

• Rep: 68
Ronnie Creager has entered the chat... in the comments of the latest QSTOP10

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
Ronnie Creager has entered the chat... in the comments of the latest QSTOP10

Don't think that's actually Creager. He's got his own account with the same name.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ronniecreager

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
Taylor I know your dumb ass is reading this right now because I know you love the attention, so here's a message to you: get fucked.

I cannot believe someone could be ignorant and blind enough to compare this situation to the Holocaust in any way, shape, or form.

caked

• Rep: 16
I’m still waiting for somebody that knows what they’re talking about to speak up.

I want to hear more women. Not male news anchors. Male internet commentators (i know. Me included) I wonder what someone that’s familiar with feminism and gender studies has to say. Skateboarders aren’t really the educated type for these complex questions as demonstrated in this thread.

Taylor’s path  and right wing media really aren’t the resources that are useful for finding an answer that Taylor supposedly seeks. As piers Morgan has said, women are inferior physically and Taylor nods and agrees to perpetuate her beliefs. Seems like tory hierarchical bullshit. Seems kinda shitty that Red Bull is dodging the issue instead of standing up for trans women as well. They can tell her no.

Howdy! Don't know if you're still looking for viewpoints, I'm very late to this entire thread. I'm a queer female skater with a degree in neuroscience. I love talking about this stuff and I agree, women are the core focus here so we should listen to them primarily. I haven't read all 20+ pages of this thread but I'm sure many have shared supportive opinions and also some transphobic and TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminism) "rhetoric."

This absolute c-word 's behavior is completely embarrassing, the epitome of cringetopia, and deeply transphobic. She's a disgusting human and she deserves all the backlash she receives. I think I recall this person's name bc Andy Anderson has reposted some of her shit. Unfortunate. Otherwise she's a nobody, at least to most people in the scene. Now she seems to be a far-right darling that will hopefully be used and discarded in due time.

The VICE article somebody posted recently was fantastic. Worded well and pretty good journalism on behalf of the skate community. Anyway, just wanted to weigh in as a woman and see if anyone had any particular questions.

Punished Skateboards

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
Didn’t realize this had reached 26 pages but LOL^ when fucking Newsmax has your back you know you’ve officially graduated to POS status

Spectre

• Rep: -40
Didn’t realize this had reached 26 pages but LOL^ when fucking Newsmax has your back you know you’ve officially graduated to POS status

Funny your name is dilbert cause the creator scott Adams has gone full blown right winger

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 752
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
Expand Quote
I want to hear more women. Not male news anchors. Male internet commentators (i know. Me included) I wonder what someone that’s familiar with feminism and gender studies has to say. Skateboarders aren’t really the educated type for these complex questions as demonstrated in this thread.
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-nPVCgcqOM

This is an interesting listen if you have the time. It may answer some of your questions. It's about sports not skateboarding though.

I gave this a listen while cooking/eating dinner. pretty interesting story. demonstrates how murky quantifying a gender can be for real. some dimensions I wouldn't have thought about too like testosterone levels. seems like biological sex isn't the end all be all, as many people claim.

Expand Quote
I’m still waiting for somebody that knows what they’re talking about to speak up.

Taylor’s path  and right wing media really aren’t the resources that are useful for finding an answer that Taylor supposedly seeks. As piers Morgan has said, women are inferior physically and Taylor nods and agrees to perpetuate her beliefs. Seems like tory hierarchical bullshit. Seems kinda shitty that Red Bull is dodging the issue instead of standing up for trans women as well. They can tell her no.
[close]

Howdy! Don't know if you're still looking for viewpoints, I'm very late to this entire thread. I'm a queer female skater with a degree in neuroscience. I love talking about this stuff and I agree, women are the core focus here so we should listen to them primarily. I haven't read all 20+ pages of this thread but I'm sure many have shared supportive opinions and also some transphobic and TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminism) "rhetoric."

This absolute c-word 's behavior is completely embarrassing, the epitome of cringetopia, and deeply transphobic. She's a disgusting human and she deserves all the backlash she receives. I think I recall this person's name bc Andy Anderson has reposted some of her shit. Unfortunate. Otherwise she's a nobody, at least to most people in the scene. Now she seems to be a far-right darling that will hopefully be used and discarded in due time.

The VICE article somebody posted recently was fantastic. Worded well and pretty good journalism on behalf of the skate community. Anyway, just wanted to weigh in as a woman and see if anyone had any particular questions.

Hey what's up. glad to see you in this thread. Since you're in the sciences, what do you know about gender and physical performance? seems like TERF Taylor is running her campaign upon the premise that biological women are weaker physically therefore should compete only amongst themselves. I instantly thought of other abled skaters and that little person skater from Spain that kicks ass at skating. like dude has full pop and a lot of flick. Tons of different bodies in skating too. So is physiological makeup really a distinguishing factor? Seems like Silverman is running her whole campaign on that premise as fact when it really seems it is not that way.

That Sara Higdon interview is one of the least sensational appearances TERF Taylor has made although the hostess still reaffirms and doesn't challenge Silverman's narrative or ask any really interesting questions.  I can see Taylor reaching out to Sara as an attempt to say "hey, I have trans people on my side!" even though I feel like the majority of queer, gender non-conforming, trans people I know or have met are not libertarians or support this racist, patriarchal country. It's also worth noting these are two white women talking to each other and I'm not sure if they're inclusive feminists or feminists at all. It's interesting to see the word "woke" being used as a catch all for talking points that are all very complex and nuanced. Using the word "woke" abstracts all these concepts further by lumping them together which is nonsensical then dismissing them all at once under "woke" instead of actually engaging with the material. This demonstrates their inability to give a shit and sympathize with other people. I can see a Trans woman fitting into a conservative worldview. There still is the appeal to authority (boot licking) and belief in a natural hierarchy (man, woman, kid, dog, etc.), just the role of whoever has transitioned changes. Also Sara is ex-military, did some quick search of who she is, explains a lot. Wonder if she's a libertarian getting sweet government healthcare for life. Once again, Taylor is finding media outlets that just kiss her ass and don't actually have any sort of discussion other than an elaboration of what happened from Taylor's view. She's slinging her argument under this bogus belief in biological differences which no host has engaged with that topic at all, they just accept it as fact. Taylor is totally the twitter outrage du jour for conservative media and a this point we're just watching her go through this media circus and best we can do is watch her go through these absurd hoops and skyrocket into kookdem because as demonstrated seems like Taylor doesn't give a shit about listening to anyone that doesn't agree with her or other skaters. I think the question she has is valid, her feelings are valid, but it's a two way street. Gotta listen to others as well. as demonstrated the way Taylor is going about it is horrible and loaded with subtle discrimination/micro-aggressions (but micro aggressions are woke fake news!)

Taylor's choice of media to speak to, along with her acceptance of showing up on these types of shows gives insight into her world view. Looks like she's an asshole conservative that skates. (yes, you're an asshole when the things you do bring suffering upon others both individually and as a group, I'm sure the girl that beat her in the comp is stressed out and I hope she's ok. Being alive is can be difficult enough for trans people). I liked how she mentioned people making fun of her, as if skaters don't dissect everyone's kits and pants lol where the fuck you been Taylor.

I'm still surprised Red Bull hasn't said shit. You think they'd at least have some resources to send out some copy pasta we stand with trans people statement or someone that handles PR as a global brand. Red Bull can even just ban silverman because she's not the one hosting and making the competitions but maybe all the rednecks that drink that sugary crap will get pissed off. As pride month approaches let's get stoked for all these corporations that want to profit off of queer culture when convenient.

nothing's been the since same

Monopolyman

Quote from: jgonzalez
I'm still surprised Red Bull hasn't said shit. You think they'd at least have some resources to send out some copy pasta we stand with trans people statement or someone that handles PR as a global brand. Red Bull can even just ban silverman because she's not the one hosting and making the competitions but maybe all the rednecks that drink that sugary crap will get pissed off. As pride month approaches let's get stoked for all these corporations that want to profit off of queer culture when convenient.

This is where I’m at too.  Disappointing they havent made any comments whatsoever.  Red Bull is sitting on the fence.  It’s clear they only stand for their bottom line.

cky enthusiast

i see quite a few focused barely skated decks in this girls future- no one bringing this stupid right wing grifter media machine near This Thing Of Ours should get off lightly

WavyDavy

• Rep: 129
Quote from: jgonzalez
Expand Quote
[close]

This is where I’m at too.  Disappointing they havent made any comments whatsoever.  Red Bull is sitting on the fence.  It’s clear they only stand for their bottom line.

Dietrich Mateschitz would probably support that girl, so that's why there won't be a statement.
Red bull has been controversial for a long time.

https://m.dw.com/en/rb-leipzig-red-bull-ceo-dietrich-mateschitz-and-politics-its-complicated/a-50208315

https://www.thefader.com/2017/04/24/red-bull-ceo-launching-right-wing-news-breitbart-trump

SR ACF

• Rep: -291
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

Wait what?! Andy Anderson of all people supports her and her opinions?!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
I think she means she recognized the girl’s name because && shared some clips of here a while back.
As far as I know, he’s a pretty inclusive guy, I don’t think he’d be down for this.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

disappointed

• Rep: 100
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Saw this on Bill Maher the other day. Seems like opinions aren’t just divided along political lines anymore, with notable liberal/dem comedians opening up the discussion.

Thoughts?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mMBzfUj5zsg

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I wouldn't call Maher a liberal, just a rich old white guy who's afraid of change.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud