Author Topic: some girl contest skater making a huge fuss over losing to a trans woman  (Read 60010 times)

versacekid420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1227
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Everyone please consider buying products and apparel from There, Unity, Glue, Violet, Meow, Krux or other brands that publicly and proudly support trans, queer, and otherwise marginalized skateboarder groups. Consider donating money or time to Skate Like A Girl, Skateistan, or other organizations that are actively working to encourage skateboarding to be more inclusive and open to everyone.

Posting trans-supportive and progressive comments on SLAP and social media is great, but consider taking the next step toward ensuring the financial success of queer skaters and the brands that navigate a lot of hate to support them.
i agree with your statement but there’s no fucking way in hell i could put that marbie krux shirt on my body

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i see quite a few focused barely skated decks in this girls future- no one bringing this stupid right wing grifter media machine near This Thing Of Ours should get off lightly
[close]
Actually reading you type “This Thing of Ours” makes want to burn my whole quiver to the ground and never skate again. 

You don’t actually say that to people in real life right?
[close]

if i say i do will you promise to quit skating and posting here
[close]
I barely post as it is now poosey
[close]

too busy building your quiver of boards to stare at and never skate
[close]

The only people that hate on my quiver have vaginas. My mom, my girlfriend, and you bitch
[close]

how can you come into a thread on the topic of inclusivity and say shit like this... embarrassing.

also, i don’t understand why anyone digs into anyone for having a lot of skate shit, regardless of how much they skate these people keep skaters paid and shops open, and are doing something they enjoy.

What a strange conversation, both fucking kooks

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
Expand Quote
Everyone please consider buying products and apparel from There, Unity, Glue, Violet, Meow, Krux or other brands that publicly and proudly support trans, queer, and otherwise marginalized skateboarder groups. Consider donating money or time to Skate Like A Girl, Skateistan, or other organizations that are actively working to encourage skateboarding to be more inclusive and open to everyone.

Posting trans-supportive and progressive comments on SLAP and social media is great, but consider taking the next step toward ensuring the financial success of queer skaters and the brands that navigate a lot of hate to support them.
[close]
i agree with your statement but there’s no fucking way in hell i could put that marbie krux shirt on my body

Very secure-in-your-own-masculinity of you to say that
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 09:06:40 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

This Thing Of Ours

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Very secure-in-your-own-masculinity of you to say that
i don’t care about “masculinity” or any of that, i’m just talking about the graphic on the shirt. it’s a krux shirt and it’s hideous

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
my grand pappy didnt die face down in the mud for me to wear a krux marbie shirt

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
I would wear a Marbie shirt but not a krux shirt.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Also do you think non pals think I’m being a pos bigot when I say krux is some kook shit.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588

I’ve been under the impression that it’s blasphemous to wear soft goods from skate companies you would not buy hard goods from.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

disappointed

• Rep: 100

Maybe I live in a bubble, but I don’t see brands having to navigate a lot of hate to support skaters that aren’t straight dudes. BA on Anti-Hero/Ace, Alexis on AllTimers/Thunder, Leo on Spitfire/Indy, Samara on Enjoi/Thunder, Elissa on Thunder/Baker; I don’t remember anyone on here being nothing but super psyched for all these skaters. Anyways, I support your sentiments in backing companies that back skaters you support. It’s a tough sell with Krux, though. They can’t even give those trucks away! ;D

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2544
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve been under the impression that it’s blasphemous to wear soft goods from skate companies you would not buy hard goods from.

This is a rule of thumb, imho.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

caked

• Rep: -9
I don't get the hate on Krux, can someone please educate me? I skated K4s and now K5s and think they're fine. Good turn and seems like just the right weight for my setups. I'm not really a gear nut though so I don't have much knowledge in the truck department. I mainly bought their trucks to support their talented team full of riders I really enjoy watching.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
I have a Marbie Krux sweatshirt. I liked the graphic. I also have never ridden Krux and have no idea if they’re good.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
Yeah I don't think the graphic is bad either,  hence why I assumed @versacekid420 's hate was coming from elsewhere. Kinda reminds me of the Unity graphics, I like em.

cky enthusiast

wearing skate soft goods is cringe imo

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
wearing skate soft goods is cringe imo

In many cases, I agree. Excepting Element T's, of course.

youreamug

• Rep: 22
Marbie Krux stuff are by far their best looking clothes & the only design they make that's even slightly cool

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
Apologies if this was already posted, but it's a pretty good video overview of the situation. It shows some brief clips from the actual contest in question, and cites slap as well. What surprises me is that apparently this contest actually took place nearly half a year ago, and the skill level, between 1st and 2nd place -- based on the available footage -- really doesn't look worlds apart from what I was expecting.

Around 4:50 this guy gets into guidelines for the UK sports council who tried to tackle the issue/complications of trans-athletes competing in sports. They determine that there is an unfair advantage, and that it's just a matter of what to prioritize. He has a lot of different videos which go over similar situations of Trans-athletes in sports, and mostly takes an objective scientific look into things. He seems to view it as an impasse, in where the carry over advantages of a male-to-female trans-athlete can't be negated, but also acknowledges that it sucks and is unfortunate for trans-athletes who identify with a certain sex and want to be equal.

-Idk, it's a tough situation. Because, as most people would hopefully agree on: the goal is inclusivity. Yet how do we accommodate both parties involved when it can potentially conflict with competitive fairness. In the Redbull situation I don't really see how the testosterone exposure of Gallagher being a biological male, carried her with a win over Taylor; cause its not like she was doing gnarly skating that would equate to high level or maybe even intermediate men's skating.

It doesn't really seem like there is a clear-cut solution in trans-athletes competing without undercutting women who might feel the same way that Silverman does. Conversely, if we separate trans-athletes from competing in women's sports, then it defeats the purpose of inclusivity as well, which is undesirable. And how do you do it all without possibly feeding into anti-trans sentiments? Hard to say where to go.

Monopolyman

Apologies if this was already posted, but it's a pretty good video overview of the situation. It shows some brief clips from the actual contest in question, and cites slap as well. What surprises me is that apparently this contest actually took place nearly half a year ago, and the skill level, between 1st and 2nd place -- based on the available footage -- really doesn't look worlds apart from what I was expecting.

Around 4:50 this guy gets into guidelines for the UK sports council who tried to tackle the issue/complications of trans-athletes competing in sports. They determine that there is an unfair advantage, and that it's just a matter of what to prioritize. He has a lot of different videos which go over similar situations of Trans-athletes in sports, and mostly takes an objective scientific look into things. He seems to view it as an impasse, in where the carry over advantages of a male-to-female trans-athlete can't be negated, but also acknowledges that it sucks and is unfortunate for trans-athletes who identify with a certain sex and want to be equal.

-Idk, it's a tough situation. Because, as most people would hopefully agree on: the goal is inclusivity. Yet how do we accommodate both parties involved when it can potentially conflict with competitive fairness. In the Redbull situation I don't really see how the testosterone exposure of Gallagher being a biological male, carried her with a win over Taylor; cause its not like she was doing gnarly skating that would equate to high level or maybe even intermediate men's skating.

It doesn't really seem like there is a clear-cut solution in trans-athletes competing without undercutting women who might feel the same way that Silverman does. Conversely, if we separate trans-athletes from competing in women's sports, then it defeats the purpose of inclusivity as well, which is undesirable. And how do you do it all without possibly feeding into anti-trans sentiments? Hard to say where to go.

I feel like this might have been covered here a bit, but while I agree with most of what you’re saying, it seems like you’re somewhat intent on trying to oppease people like Taylor Silverman… to which I’d ask, why does she need to be catered to at all?  It seems like such a small subsect of people who are actually bothered by the way this random Red Bull contest was conducted.  Some of the other women competing in her series actually thought Taylor was scored too highly for her freestyle-adjacent tricks.  What about Taylor Silverman’s story makes us think we need to do a deeper dive on best practices?  Maybe she should just shut her mouth and skate.

The Titular sk8r boi

• Rep: 3

I think the problem is in catering to people who only scream that things are unfair when they get slapped by a trans athlete, and don't make a peep when trans athletes lose. mtf trans people lose muscle mass through transition, ftm trans people take synthesized testosterone, something people might know better as anabolic steroids. it's hard to imagine anyone trying to make the argument that a BiOlOgIcAl WoMaN should compete against others not taking anabolic steroids. there was an mtf weightlifter in this last olympics or the one prior that people were making a fuss over who placed like 20th, it's really only a problem for these people when they're on the losing end, and even then it's just a cover for a more generalized transphobia

Spectre

• Rep: -40
Expand Quote

[close]
I think the problem is in catering to people who only scream that things are unfair when they get slapped by a trans athlete, and don't make a peep when trans athletes lose. mtf trans people lose muscle mass through transition, ftm trans people take synthesized testosterone, something people might know better as anabolic steroids. it's hard to imagine anyone trying to make the argument that a BiOlOgIcAl WoMaN should compete against others not taking anabolic steroids. there was an mtf weightlifter in this last olympics or the one prior that people were making a fuss over who placed like 20th, it's really only a problem for these people when they're on the losing end, and even then it's just a cover for a more generalized transphobia

Why was "biological woman" in the regular spongebob meme font?

The Titular sk8r boi

• Rep: 3
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

as in how a transphobe might refer to an ftm trans person, the point i was trying to get at is that most often people complain about "biological males" competing against cis women but the inverse hardly ever seems to come up. little clunky on my wording

Spectre

• Rep: -40
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
as in how a transphobe might refer to an ftm trans person, the point i was trying to get at is that most often people complain about "biological males" competing against cis women but the inverse hardly ever seems to come up. little clunky on my wording

Ah i see

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
objective scientific look
No such thing
Sorry dude

baulsacc_mcvinegar

• Rep: 2
I still just think it's ridiculous to believe that there will ever be enough trans people competing in high-level sports to justify the outrage. Hit me up when women's street league is being completely dominated by trans women and I'll admit I'm wrong, but it's just not going to happen. The amount of trauma you have to submit yourself to to transition in this country doesn't seem worth it for $5000 and a redbull trophy

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
Been following this for a sec, but still, the funniest part about this whole thing is that this girl thinks she deserves a couple thousand dollars more than what she was paid for her skating abilities

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
She should be happy since she got paid a couple thousand dollars (well)over her skating abilities.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
Yeah I don't think the graphic is bad either,  hence why I assumed @versacekid420 's hate was coming from elsewhere. Kinda reminds me of the Unity graphics, I like em.
all subjective just not something i looked at and got hyped on. plus i don’t skate krux so i would never buy a krux shirt. not everything is as deep as it seems

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Now imagine you are someone like Mami Tezuka, you place first and then this little fucker places second. Would you feel like it would be fair to give thousands of dollars to such a weak performance, while the first place got just a bit more?

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
@Monopolyman
Not sure what you mean by appease people like Taylor: people willing to take an objective look at it, or those who use it to perpetuate trans exclusiveness? I hope not the latter. The objective nature of the biological differences between biological women and trans-women are undeniable by science, however I don't really feel that Taylor is justified in saying that she lost simply because it was against a trans-woman. I mostly say this considering that the level of skating was a bit low; From what available clips there were of both competitors, Gallagher's clips look in line with the ability of a lot of women's skating that I've seen.

But I'm mostly just learning, myself. I think using skating to judge scenarios/complications of trans-women in women's sports is kind of a poor benchmark. It kind of makes more sense in other sports where athletic qualities are more apparent up front, like whose the fastest or strongest. Skating can only guide those facets so much, because it is a creative sport in where those qualities don't always matter. I think some women have the case to say it can cross the line of competitive fairness. But it's like, how do you do it without disrespecting supporters of the trans-community and fueling already existing trans-phobia (which is what we don't want). I really don't know what the solutions are that can accommodate everyone. I'm certainly not on the side of, "get em out of here... have them make their own division!" It just seems tricky to balance inclusivity and fairness with such a situation. I mean, it's a story that's going to keep coming up in all different avenues of sports. This was just one instance.