Author Topic: Basement skate spots  (Read 3904 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
Basement skate spots
« on: May 20, 2022, 08:53:32 AM »
I’ve never lived in a place before with a basement. I added a few things to make it skateable. A little box and a plastic parking block for slappy madness. It’s most def a low pop zone but I can skate whenever. If you made a spot in your basement, post some pics!

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:06:09 AM by FUBAR »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Basement skate spots
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 12:01:47 PM »
I've shown glimpses of my basement. It's gone through changes but I think it's more fun now. Still scary to skate because you are speeding to a wall right after landing.

It's like a salad spinner sometimes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbptzCTAfmx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEwJyoKo_H7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDYY1NVo_C0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/BamRcb-AeSQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

https://www.instagram.com/p/B87xx1jl6sz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:12:18 PM by layzieyez »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 02:34:23 PM »
@layzieyez

How tall are your basement ceilings?

If I even popped a little Ollie in my basement I would smash my head.

Could you set up a 18’ x 12’ x 3’ half pipe? For your son of course…

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 02:41:15 PM »
The ceiling is plenty high which was a challenge with only two light outlets. Thanks to LED light bulbs, I can light it pretty bright compared to other basements.

Almost fit that ramp. If all I wanted to do was skate that one thing sure, but that would get boring for me. I'm not a big coping dancer combo guy.

I prefer having a ledge.

FUBAR

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 02:53:05 PM »
Nice setup, man! I most def can relate with running into a wall right after a trick but it scratches the itch to skate when it rains or gas is $5 a gallon and the best park is 40 miles away!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 03:00:33 PM »
The ceiling is plenty high which was a challenge with only two light outlets. Thanks to LED light bulbs, I can light it pretty bright compared to other basements.

Almost fit that ramp. If all I wanted to do was skate that one thing sure, but that would get boring for me. I'm not a big coping dancer combo guy.

I prefer having a ledge.

That makes sense. Your little ramps are perfect for your son. He looks about 9 which is how old my son is. It’s great that he likes skateboarding. Mine is scared to skateboard but he rollerskates. You should design a team logo with him. Get some sleeveless denim jackets and screen print on them. Have fun!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 03:38:51 PM »
He's 13 now and the basement is too tight for him.

I really need to come into some money and build a mini out of concrete out back.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 06:48:19 PM »
Those are all rad as well as the clips. No basement here in California but enclosed patio if that counts.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 05:47:45 PM »
I'd kill for a skateable patio. Unless the air is bad from fires or pollution.

My driveway is downhill. I wish it was flat.

FUBAR

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 07:45:48 AM »
Those are all rad as well as the clips. No basement here in California but enclosed patio if that counts.
Enclosed patio is sick! Do you have a box or anything you skate on it?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 11:40:42 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/7BIMAHI_EC/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is how I light my basement. Very important for any that wants to do this.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 12:20:27 PM »
I’ve got 3 quarters(2’ with 4’ transition, 3’ with 4’ transition and another 3’ with 3 1/2’ transition) and an 8’ curb I made when we were in lock down. It’s fine aside from the triple digit days and when the state is on fire. I had a round bar and pole jam but gave them away since they just slid all around since it gets dusty and concrete is polished.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 02:21:17 AM »
I'm kind of cheating as I don't own the building (I wish... it's over 190 units a few blocks away from one of the most desirable colleges in the world, so you can imagine what it's worth), but Ive lived here for almost a decade and have a master key. This building is slightly over a hundred years old and this part of it used to be the kitchen and seating area for a lunch counter, so it's divided into a couple sections.

First room is where I sit and smoke joints and drink coffee, and also where I do flat ground in the winter because the other rooms are always freezing. There's enough room to take one push and pop, or start in the other room and do powerslides across the room when it gets really dusty

Second room is where I keep some of my stuff and also where I try to figure out why I suck. It has perfect concrete except for one crack that's right before where I want to pop.

Third room is the big guy. Don't have anything set up right now but I sometimes build ramps and had a shitty brick curb set up at one point. There's a lot of room and the ceiling is high, but it's also old and crumbling so combined with the broken tile you almost have to skate wide wheels in there. I've gotten pitched  by a chunk of masonry more times than I can count. I like just popping on some tunes and taking something with soft wheels and loose trucks and just weaving through the pillars sometimes too. I honestly don't skate in there that much anymore because you absolutely have to sweep the shit out of it and it takes forever.

I also have to consider the noise. Rooms one and two are below my apartment and a Dr's office that hasnt had a patient since the pandemic started so I can skate in there pretty much whenever. The big room stretches across 4 units which are all occupied by students. I try to be respectful since it's definitely loud enough to disturb someone who's trying to sleep or study and I tend to skate early in the morning.

FUBAR

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 03:59:48 AM »
Buttfart (why is that fun to type? OH, because I am a manchild) thats a sick setup!

Im thinking of a low box for the basement…like a 4 or 5 inch curb, or maybe a Blunt Steel roll on metal thingy. The 9” box Im skating down there now is good but I wouldnt 5050 it without worry of a head bonk. I did circle on the ground where the lights hang down so I don’t do anything in that spot.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2022, 04:50:58 PM »
Don't know about basements but my house used to look like this

https://vimeo.com/35645566

If you have any building or maintenance questions @ me

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -174
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 05:52:21 AM »
Part of my basement is 8 feet high as it used to be the original garage for my house underground in the 20s.

Its not huge, but I just put ice colored roller hockey floor down (fun to slide but textured enough).   I'm trying to put up a 2 foot quarter at the end, and some kind of box and rail in a middle run up section.  I originally was thinking half pipe but ceilings just aren't high enough for that to be fun.

Will try to post pics once done!  Took a while to get the flooring in, but now im excited and hopefully have the rest set up in next few weeks.  Will hopefully be like a DIY spot (I don't have super high hopes, but did buy some stuff from actual ramp companies to try to maximize the fun).

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 06:49:24 AM »

Here is the view so far-- skated this morning and super fun. 

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 11:46:15 AM »

Here is the view so far-- skated this morning and super fun.

Looks perfect

Wish I had a wake up spot/end the day/bad weather spot again

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 02:10:42 PM »
Thank you-- it is probably a little more cramped than it looks and I messed up on the coping on one of the obstacles and need to redo it, but yeah on a rainy day like today it was pretty fun.  Had a small window and was able to do some axle stalls, old man lay back slashes, some Ollies and then on to the day.  Im not sure how long ill be in this property for but definately feel blessed and enjoying it.  The kids are also having a blast snaking me on their scooters, so its like a real skatepark environment :)

FUBAR

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2022, 03:51:36 PM »
Looks dope, man! I just brought my slap pad doen to the basement too. Twas a huge ass pain but now I have something curb height to skate no matter the season or weather!

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »

2 feet tall by 13 feet wide. Covid project that I have torn down and rebuilt 3 times already.
Currently a brio trains spot for my son.
It’s helped me through many a winter day.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2022, 12:35:04 AM »

2 feet tall by 13 feet wide. Covid project that I have torn down and rebuilt 3 times already.

Nice this is absolutely sick-- what is the ceiling clearance?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2022, 05:54:04 AM »

That's absolutely insane. I love it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2022, 06:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice this is absolutely sick-- what is the ceiling clearance?

Thanks- with the joists it’s about 8.5 feet. Technically 9’ ceiling.

I’m just over 6 and the ramp is 2 ft= no ollies.

It was originally on the floor as quarter pipes with concrete flat but after a few slams I went with a built up flat .

If anyone wants info it’s 24” tall, 13’ wide.  6.5 transition on one side, 6 on the other. Roughly 7.5 ‘ of flat.
The 6.5 side is too mellow and it would be better with a little less flat but I had to build a 4 year old beginner in mind. I have also found through experience that any change in transition is magnified exponentially on tiny ramps. Tighter feels better to skate but is a total speed killer.

FUBAR

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2022, 02:17:15 PM »
Been hitting the other side of the ole slap pad lately

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2022, 05:35:31 AM »
Nice- my slap pad is very similar (may be exactly the same) and I really can only hit the "ledge" side honestly.  Still trying to figure out the true slap side with the round rail.

FUBAR

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2022, 07:59:57 AM »
Yeah took me a minute to get used to the slap side. Kinda gotta focus on riding up a little before turning into the grind.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2022, 11:02:45 AM »
Yeah took me a minute to get used to the slap side. Kinda gotta focus on riding up a little before turning into the grind.

Thanks, this is helpful.  Im doing this and also letting myself put a hand down to try to get more into the "ride up" mindset-- almost like carving a lip I guess.  Im still struggling with it but getting there.   Do you approach at more like a 90 degree angle versus parallel?

FUBAR

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »
I ride straight on. Toes hanging a little off the deck (Im doing backside slappies) turn hard and bring your weight up at the same time, aiming front truck onto the coping. Bringing your weight up on the back foot (kind of like a hop) and switch it all to your heels once you feel youself getting up. I hope that made sense.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2022, 02:49:32 AM »
I ride straight on. Toes hanging a little off the deck (Im doing backside slappies) turn hard and bring your weight up at the same time, aiming front truck onto the coping. Bringing your weight up on the back foot (kind of like a hop) and switch it all to your heels once you feel youself getting up. I hope that made sense.

That is super helpful and I've been getting much closer since I read you comment (yeah, I'm that slow at learning tricks).  The last question I've been going back and forth on-- some people say you don't lift the front truck at all, but it seems to me as I get into this and watch the videos and see people in "real life" do slappies, there is the "hop" element you mentioned where you do have to life your weight as you said (even if the front of the board appears to be touching).  In a way the closer I get the more I realize its like going into a smith stall on a quarter or something more than an ollie into curb 50/50 in terms of the overall body movement-- and the key seems to really be what the back truck is doing (again like getting into a stand up quarter grind or stall- I stink at those too but it all makes sense).