Author Topic: Basement skate spots  (Read 3902 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 231
Re: Basement skate spots
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2022, 06:38:33 AM »
Did you get slappies on it? Hope so!
The slap pad is funny because I was learning backside slappies on curbs when I got the pad and tried one on the banked side and it seemed impossible. After getting backside slappies on curbs for a few months I tried it again and after a slight adjustment for the bank on the slappy side of the pad, I was getting right up. I really want to try frontside slappies on it. If I fly off while trying to get into it, Ill go right into a padded wall, which can’t be all bad I guess.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Rep: -173
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2022, 12:36:27 PM »
I'm so, so close.  Practicing on the slap pad definately gotten me from having no clue how to do it to basically almost all the way there-- today finally basically doing the ride up and on and getting into position.  I think my issue is my wall is brick and pretty close to the pad, and im spooking myself and not going fast enough to actually fully stand after the "slap".  So I'm sort of getting to the ride up and back truck slap then bailing.  That said, I've never gotten nearly this close and think I am almost there.  Even the feeling of actually riding up the pad like a transition is so sick.  Will get there!

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »
Slap confirmed.  Not consistent yet, but so sick.  Also working on bertelssman slides on the quarter.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2022, 06:05:42 AM »
Right on! Keep em going. I can have a whole session doing those, they are so fun.
Switch noseslides and those nollie tail slides are up next for me, on the other side of the slap pad.
We are in full basement-session season where I live.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2022, 11:35:21 AM »
Basement season definitely in full effect.  I've been going hard down there ha.  I'm worried I'm going to have trouble going outside this winter, though and the basement skating isn't exactly the same

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2023, 12:05:57 PM »
I typically try not to repost on top of my last post, but since this one is pinned what the heck.

Has anyone ever put up skatelite onto a brick wall?  Ive got a pretty large piece and there is a place where I (try to) do old school hand standy garbage wall rides and wall rides to nollie and its both rough and constantly ripping chips of paint off (the bricks are painted red) which gets all over the riding surface. 

That said, I'm not sure how I'd actually attach a piece of cut ramp surface to wall. 

Any ideas from construction folks?  My fear is even if I try to like Molly bolt it or something it would come out from the pressure of wall rides.  I also don't want to totally destroy the wall as I'd likely take this out at some point once it got raggedy.  Is this a dumb idea?

collie

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2023, 02:32:59 PM »
I typically try not to repost on top of my last post, but since this one is pinned what the heck.

Has anyone ever put up skatelite onto a brick wall?  Ive got a pretty large piece and there is a place where I (try to) do old school hand standy garbage wall rides and wall rides to nollie and its both rough and constantly ripping chips of paint off (the bricks are painted red) which gets all over the riding surface. 

That said, I'm not sure how I'd actually attach a piece of cut ramp surface to wall. 

Any ideas from construction folks?  My fear is even if I try to like Molly bolt it or something it would come out from the pressure of wall rides.  I also don't want to totally destroy the wall as I'd likely take this out at some point once it got raggedy.  Is this a dumb idea?

Could try to Hilti a 1/2” plywood to the wall then fasten dkatelite to that

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2023, 04:16:08 PM »
Tapcons and polyurethane construction adhesive.

You can even use plastic mollies with deck screws might be even stronger. Pilot screw through the skatelite and use the holes so you can place the mollies right with a hammer drill and a masonry bit. Most cordless drills have a hammer switch on them for drilling through concrete

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2023, 05:08:58 AM »
Definitely agree that you’d be better off attaching a more substantial piece of plywood to the wall (3/4” would be best for allowing you to countersink your fasteners) and then attaching your skatelite to that. Is there framing nearby that you can build off of and lay studs (regular or sleeper) in front of the brick wall? Obv at some point you cross the line of how much $$$ this is all worth to you.

Another idea would be just to build your wall like a box/manual pad and French cleat it to the wall. You’d have minimal fasteners in the brick and the obstacle would be easily moved out of the way (and you could also lay it down and have a manual pad).

Whatever you do, try to use mechanical fasteners rather than adhesives (1. harder to demo and clean up/repair  later on down the road, 2. Less secure… it will only be as good as the bond that the paint beneath has with the brick, 3. Especially in a basement that prob has more dramatic swings in temp/humidity the expansion/contraction of the wood throughout the year my work the adhesive loose)

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2023, 01:40:32 PM »
Thanks, everyone for the awesome feedback.  This thread is incredible (and also enjoying repeatedly looking at everyones pictures for inspiration for tweaks).

After digesting everything, I may go with the approach of making a very low manual pad sort of thing and French cleating it to wall.  I have a feeling if I can accomplish that it will be less destruction then trying to get the ply wood on with a layer of skate light over it.  Based on googling some of what folks said might work there I'm realizing most approaches are going to cause too much destruction on the classic brick surface (at that point better to just leave it and let the paint chip off and repaint later I think).  Do you think that would work if super low (like 2 inches)

edit: started trying to build this and realized it isn't going to be easy and came up with better solution- moved slap pad so I have area of wall to wall ride that is basically just painted cinderblock instead of brick. Not as good as wood but pretty smooth so probably not worth the cost/icremental benefit.  Now what to do with the extra skate light and lumber ha...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:28:36 AM by NewRocCity »

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2023, 02:00:59 PM »
RIP to my New Rochelle basement skatepark--selling that property so no more private indoor space.  Financially the correct decision but as winter (fall I guess)? starts I miss it already.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2023, 05:44:11 PM »
I’m sorry to hear that. For my basement, I’m getting ready to add some new features. Really hoping you can find a sanctuary.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2023, 06:28:47 PM »
Fuckin hell. My new home has a sick basement with a nice enough shop and an almost finished room, but none of this. Damn. Very sick
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2023, 06:19:36 AM »
Fuckin hell. My new home has a sick basement with a nice enough shop and an almost finished room, but none of this. Damn. Very sick

The question is, are you willing to strip out the "shop".  Effectively that is what I did (prior owner had saw and tool set up there).  In hindsight im not sure I would have, but with winter coming and my ramps dissembled in my new property and soaked in rain for last few weeks, indoor ramps sounds nice.   I dont really have a place with high enough ceilings in current space and have more outside room, so was going to attempt to do something outside, but ramps may be destroyed (though I'm going to make a go of putting them back together when I free up).  I paid some nonprofessional movers who were supposed to break them down into a few pieces and essentially full disassembled than dropped in a vacant patio area in my new property.  Alas- ramps never last.  To be continued.