Author Topic: skating on the spectrum  (Read 3942 times)

glimmerati

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
skating on the spectrum
« on: May 20, 2022, 11:46:50 AM »
I feel like this is an important issue that is deeply intertwined with skateboarding but is not talked about enough as it is often masked through our focus on physical ability, being able to see ourselves as social outcasts just because we skate, self-medication in our developmental years, and probably many other reasons.

I would love to hear from everyday skaters with autism about the challenges, as well as the positives.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
Re: skating on the spectrum
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 05:00:25 PM »
This would be dope to read. My son is 7 and on the spectrum. I take him skating with me but so far he isn’t too interested. Maybe I can pick up a way or two to get him wanting to try. (I am most def not pushy, he’ll go a few sessions and not even want to try and then he is interested for the first few minutes of a session. It’s all good, it’s just nice to hang out.)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 724
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 07:08:50 PM »
There’s a skater in my area (southeastern PA) who has autism who absolutely rips, especially at transition.  I follow him on IG and always enjoy his perspectives on his skating in his stories and comments.  He’s also super involved in like shoveling out parks in the winter and squeegeeing them to dry them out after it rains and other stuff in the local skatepark community.  Always does sick grip-jobs on his boards too.  I have a sibling with special needs so I’m always stoked on what he’s doing.

BRINK

• Rep: -937
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 09:04:53 PM »
Only challenges I ever experienced are the assholes here who, when I spoke out about my autism found it appropriate to accuse me of “self diagnosing”, “doing it for attention”, “lying”, threatening me with physical violence, calling me a “r3tard” and then proceeded to insult me on 3 different threads relating to my autism for months until I asked Slap to remove them … don’t worry though … its ok if they do it … just cancel anyone in the skate industry who does. So sad.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 09:36:46 PM »
@BRINK

This might be a good opportunity to share resources, post stories of positive moments from others that you know, share the Autism Skates charity you are involved in, and such.

Maybe, a chance for a reset / a chance for the SLAP locals and BRINK to work together creating a positive environment and positive change?

Maybe, the PALS can do the same?  :)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 12:44:32 AM »
Only challenges I ever experienced are the assholes here who, when I spoke out about my autism found it appropriate to accuse me of “self diagnosing”, “doing it for attention”, “lying”, threatening me with physical violence, calling me a “r3tard” and then proceeded to insult me on 3 different threads relating to my autism for months until I asked Slap to remove them … don’t worry though … its ok if they do it … just cancel anyone in the skate industry who does. So sad.

I got your back Brink. Mental illness and Spectrum disorders do need to be addressed more within the industry and outside of the industry for skateboarding to be an outlet of expressing emotion, frustration, and art through skateboarding and feeling accepted.

some resources that most slap heads here should be apart of is NAMI (the National Alliance of Mental Illness) as they have a ton of non-profit resources and groups that can help us skaters understand people like me (a schizoaffective bipolar type individual) and Brink as well as others openly accepting of mental and spectrum related brain conditions.

Mental Illness is not a one type fits all, and most families have at least one relative or friend that is struggling behind the scenes or is going into a crisis. Real friends and real people will help their friends in crisis or when they are neurodivergent, not make fun or spread rumors about them for the industry to banish them...

scary

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 12:58:07 AM »
Is Rodney Mullen on the spectrum? Google says everything from no to he’s highly functional.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 01:08:57 AM »
my biggest challenge is holding a crew to roll with. i don't even want to have that many people around since i can't handle that. when i go to a park or spot that's full of people i get social white out. it's insanely hard for me to recognize everyone and greet accordingly how it might be expected.

i am not very spontaneous and sometimes i have trouble communicating why i don't want to go somewhere or don't want to do something, so i just leave.

i have obsessions with gear and spots that sometimes make me just sit down and sit the current spot out or only skate it in a certain way i can't explain to others.

usually don't strike up many conversations because i tend to rant off for minutes until people say "aight dude, i gotta skate, let's chat later or something" basically steamrolling them with a bunch of information about whatever when they ask me whatsup and i am not "masked" sort of/not trying to control my reaction to social interaction too much so i seem more normal.

when i really try to be social i seem to some as if i have taken mdma because then i'm kinda over the top hyped.

most my problems are purely social and make social skating difficult for me. no one knows i have asperger because i'm ok at masking as a slightly goofy dude and this isn't something i go around telling people without reason. people just think i'm socially awkward, but most of them like me on a basic level i guess.

for me it's almost more comfortable to go to a spot where i don't know anyone, besides skating with close homies only.
since i've hit my 30s my feelings of social inadequacy have been on the rise immensely. i feel like the way i conducted myself seemed more in line what was expected from someone with latent weirdo vibes in their 20s. i am definitely one of those asperger cases that seems way younger than they are. people think i'm mid 20s because i look very young. but i know i'm late 30s now and i sort of want to be treated like an adult. i get treated like a kid, but also act like one tbf.

this is all not too bad when it comes to skateboarding. it's worse for me in terms of building a career, getting through uni/school, keeping up meaningful relationships. people only have so much patience with your bullshit. i've lost good friends cause they were too exhausted to handle me anymore and my life lacks stability in general. i've been diagnosed as a kid but have never been to any sort of therapy behavioral or otherwise, because my parents are/were absolutely anti-psychiatry. i've been basically running against walls headfirst with my condition for the past 15 years and been looking for a therapist to get down to all my psychological comorbidities, which are the real problem. i also need to learn how to not get taken advantage of.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 109
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 02:33:41 AM »
my biggest challenge is holding a crew to roll with. i don't even want to have that many people around since i can't handle that. when i go to a park or spot that's full of people i get social white out. it's insanely hard for me to recognize everyone and greet accordingly how it might be expected.

i am not very spontaneous and sometimes i have trouble communicating why i don't want to go somewhere or don't want to do something, so i just leave.

I'm another one well down the spectrum. Skating with other people that I don't know is the worst. If I go to a popular spot it has to be very early in the morning. And as soon as anyone else turns up, I leave.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 03:02:55 AM »
for me it's fine when it's just a few strangers. i can just give a nod or say hi and shits done. at a certain number this works in the other direction for me where i am just intimidated.

sometimes i try to reciprocate when people want to engage in small talk and im so bad at it. like my questions are dumb or pointless or just odd and often i don't know how to respond or keep the conversation going. iam also pretty bad at reading faces in realtime so sometimes when people say something that sounds good but actually look distraught i dont immediately get it and it leads to shit like me saying "thats awesome/sick" when it's actually not.

the best way for me to be normal is to be at work constantly.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 03:32:03 AM »
I’m on the spectrum too but it’s manageable with the meds + sobriety-ish.

The only times I could feel that recently is when I went to some different cities on holiday and the main homie would introduce me to his homies.

They were all really cool and welcoming but for some reason I couldn’t land shit for like 2 days straight.

Then it all calmed down and it was the fucking best.

I think I still have traces of peer pressure / social anxiety / agoraphobia whatever you wanna call it.

Other thing (that it’s probably not related) I can notice it’s that if someone is being a douche not necessarily to me but also to others I keep thinking about it for at least the day and it ruins everything. That led me to just avoiding said people and it’s been always fine afterwards.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 06:18:54 AM »

i have obsessions with gear and spots that sometimes make me just sit down and sit the current spot out or only skate it in a certain way i can't explain to others.

usually don't strike up many conversations because i tend to rant off for minutes until people say "aight dude, i gotta skate, let's chat later or something" basically steamrolling them with a bunch of information about whatever when they ask me whatsup and i am not "masked" sort of/not trying to control my reaction to social interaction too much so i seem more normal.

when i really try to be social i seem to some as if i have taken mdma because then i'm kinda over the top hyped.

most my problems are purely social and make social skating difficult for me. no one knows i have asperger because i'm ok at masking as a slightly goofy dude and this isn't something i go around telling people without reason. people just think i'm socially awkward, but most of them like me on a basic level i guess.

for me it's almost more comfortable to go to a spot where i don't know anyone, besides skating with close homies only.
since i've hit my 30s my feelings of social inadequacy have been on the rise immensely. i feel like the way i conducted myself seemed more in line what was expected from someone with latent weirdo vibes in their 20s. i am definitely one of those asperger cases that seems way younger than they are. people think i'm mid 20s because i look very young. but i know i'm late 30s now and i sort of want to be treated like an adult. i get treated like a kid, but also act like one tbf.

this is all not too bad when it comes to skateboarding. it's worse for me in terms of building a career, getting through uni/school, keeping up meaningful relationships. people only have so much patience with your bullshit. i've lost good friends cause they were too exhausted to handle me anymore and my life lacks stability in general. i've been diagnosed as a kid but have never been to any sort of therapy behavioral or otherwise, because my parents are/were absolutely anti-psychiatry. i've been basically running against walls headfirst with my condition for the past 15 years and been looking for a therapist to get down to all my psychological comorbidities, which are the real problem. i also need to learn how to not get taken advantage of.

A lot of that is relatable to me. I guess the whole point of "spectrum" is that basically everyone is on it, right? So far I have only been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression...
I want to skate with a crew, but then can't handle when there are a lot of people. Sucks.
Big shoutout to everyone struggling. You got it!

BRINK

• Rep: -937
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 06:21:13 AM »
@BRINK

This might be a good opportunity to share resources, post stories of positive moments from others that you know, share the Autism Skates charity you are involved in, and such.

Maybe, a chance for a reset / a chance for the SLAP locals and BRINK to work together creating a positive environment and positive change?

Maybe, the PALS can do the same?  :)

The same place the people here found their “ammunition” to verbally assault me is where they can find all of that already … on my IG.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 06:28:40 AM »
If it’s any consolation, I like you, Brink.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 07:34:50 AM »
I'm autistic. I've always had kind of had a hard time skating in groups of people and fitting in with the session. I guess that is more from the social anxiety that comes with things, but since I tend to overthink details of setups or spots I seem to ask questions that catch people off guard in a weird way. Or conversations don't flow well. The worst is around the cool guy Bay Area and Hell Ride types. Around other skate nerds I'm fine.

In my day job the spectrum helps me a lot as I work in statistics and machine learning. I'm actually really good at breaking down problems into components and analyzing them, but in real life this leads to analysis paralysis. In skating it leads to madness and overthinking things to the point of exhaustion. I think setup madness probably ate up a year of progression recently.

buttchin

• Rep: 18
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 03:02:25 PM »

I dont think I am on the spectrum, although I do tend to have symptoms of high-functioning individuals (maybe I am high-functioning schizoid/bipolar? Thats seems to be something a psychiatrist had said that might be my case) but some words of advice is to really talk to a therapist or psychologist that you trust for sure, and also take advantage of support groups, like spectrum-related group therapy, similar to sobriety groups for getting off drugs, alcohol, or dealing with chronic illnesses. It does not hurt to get professional help, even if some pals here do not even have the slightest grasp of how to help or have even been in a position to help someone suffering from mental health and spectrum disorders

Even my immediate family and long-time skate friends from my hometown are slowly understanding my mental health condition and I can finally keep it onehunnid and be honest and real with them about my manic and depressive moodswings, as well as understand the warning signs I display when I literally dont get good sleep for days and feel ramped up, slowly going into fight-or-flight and feeling like its me against the world. My mental health is not a cop out and I literally suffer from this shit and am not making it up.

Sorry for my personal tangent. I am an open-book
Basically,  tl;dr - mental health and spectrum conditions are not something to take lightly. We are  humans too and its okay to get professional help, or get guided by a social worker and PERT team at hospitals to get help, even if it means getting sectioned into psychiatric units for a couple of days to a few weeks. Mind and body is important and we gotta take care of our mentals before anything else imho

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
i skate alone or with my one buddy (who is one of my closest friends luckily) but I have a lot of trouble making connections with strangers. Working on it. I have diagnosed ADHD and bad social anxiety and some other developments (talk to myself when I'm alone which my psych says is 'maladaptive') but I've yet to seek out an autism diagnosis as an adult. Does anyone have any experience with adult diagnosis? Is it worth it? I'm in indiv and group therapy for anxiety and relationships right now and feel like I'm learning a lot atm so

Edit: Skating is one of my hyperfixations I guess but it's really weird to talk about it with people. No one really follows my train of thought
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 03:43:34 PM »
@dwyck I feel you. I sought therapy services that my university offered for free after suspecting I was on the spectrum. Was failing miserably with connecting with others at my school, but I was told it was likely I had developed social anxiety after experiencing some big time culture shock (small town first gen student at a Big Ten uni filled with rich kids with rich k12 experiences). Did some group therapy that really helped me with the self loathing and to reframe some shit.

Sometimes I still wonder, however. I was next to nonverbal around anyone besides my closest friends as a young kid, and still struggled a great deal socially through high school where I was well liked and "successful" otherwise. Eye contact in particular can feel very confusing/not nice depending on who I'm talking to. Ive definitely felt fixations (skating being one) but also have always thought of it as just deeply caring about what I like. I don't really know if I am on the spectrum because I've never sought out a second opinion, but even after a lot of inner work, breakthrough psilocybin trips, and positive social experiences, I still bug out when meeting new people at times and, at worst, just passing strangers on the street.

In my particular situation, I think the most that getting a diagnosis could do would be to provide an explanation for all the social anxiety. I am sort of at peace understanding that I'm just anxious around people and that I have developed tools to cope with it, regardless of why it happens in the first place. That may seem ignorant to those who have been diagnosed and know what it's done for them, but that's why this is a great thread. I hope more people here feel comfortable sharing their struggles and successes to help shed light.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:56:39 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 10:12:07 PM »
There’s a skater in my area (southeastern PA) who has autism who absolutely rips, especially at transition.  I follow him on IG and always enjoy his perspectives on his skating in his stories and comments.  He’s also super involved in like shoveling out parks in the winter and squeegeeing them to dry them out after it rains and other stuff in the local skatepark community.  Always does sick grip-jobs on his boards too.  I have a sibling with special needs so I’m always stoked on what he’s doing.

Interested to check out his stuff, could you DM me his handle?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 12:41:21 AM »
I will start by saying that I am not speaking for people who have this diagnosis, only from my experience as a therapist.
I was a 1:1 therapist and family counselor for children diagnosed with ASD and other developmental delays for years. Skateboarding was something that replaced a lot of nonfunctional sensory/repetitive behaviors and presented them many learning opportunities for learning coping mechanisms. It was all positive for the children who I worked with who had the motor skills to skateboard independently within the right environment(for them). It was amazing to see how much skateboarding changed their lives in a positive way.
They could have been having a bad day(like anyone else) and the happiness they got just by pushing down the street was something that would remind me of why skateboarding doesn’t give a fuck who a person is, it is just there for people to enjoy. Skateboarding brings out a lot of emotions and for the children I worked with, it taught them how to identify those emotions and what to do with those emotions(of course with a program I designed for them to do so with my supervision and guidance).Also, there are so many social learning opportunities such as interacting with people at a skate shop to buy product or other kids at the skate park. ( if they are on the more verbal end of the spectrum)
There was some “ex-pro” bmx BCBA I worked with that did something similar with biking for the families he worked with. My hope is that now that skating is more mainstream, we will see more skaters in these professions who have a similar approach and therapy model.

For the people self diagnosing themselves, here is an article relating to the DSM-5 criteria for diagnosing an individual with ASD. If you really think you fit these, then by all means go see a neurologist and also get a functional behavioral assessment done by a panel of OT, SLP and BCBA who are clinically trained to do so.
https://depts.washington.edu/dbpeds/Screening%20Tools/DSM-5(ASD.Guidelines)Feb2013.pdf

This is something that should be spoken more about with this trend in mental health within the skateboard community. After all, skateboarding is a unifying tool for all.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2022, 11:40:22 AM »

Love you, Frank

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 02:37:36 PM »
I will start by saying that I am not speaking for people who have this diagnosis, only from my experience as a therapist.
I was a 1:1 therapist and family counselor for children diagnosed with ASD and other developmental delays for years. Skateboarding was something that replaced a lot of nonfunctional sensory/repetitive behaviors and presented them many learning opportunities for learning coping mechanisms. It was all positive for the children who I worked with who had the motor skills to skateboard independently within the right environment(for them). It was amazing to see how much skateboarding changed their lives in a positive way.
They could have been having a bad day(like anyone else) and the happiness they got just by pushing down the street was something that would remind me of why skateboarding doesn’t give a fuck who a person is, it is just there for people to enjoy. Skateboarding brings out a lot of emotions and for the children I worked with, it taught them how to identify those emotions and what to do with those emotions(of course with a program I designed for them to do so with my supervision and guidance).Also, there are so many social learning opportunities such as interacting with people at a skate shop to buy product or other kids at the skate park. ( if they are on the more verbal end of the spectrum)
There was some “ex-pro” bmx BCBA I worked with that did something similar with biking for the families he worked with. My hope is that now that skating is more mainstream, we will see more skaters in these professions who have a similar approach and therapy model.

For the people self diagnosing themselves, here is an article relating to the DSM-5 criteria for diagnosing an individual with ASD. If you really think you fit these, then by all means go see a neurologist and also get a functional behavioral assessment done by a panel of OT, SLP and BCBA who are clinically trained to do so.
https://depts.washington.edu/dbpeds/Screening%20Tools/DSM-5(ASD.Guidelines)Feb2013.pdf

This is something that should be spoken more about with this trend in mental health within the skateboard community. After all, skateboarding is a unifying tool for all.

thanks for this post.

i was more or less diagnosed as a child, but didn't know that until my mother disclosed this to me as an adult as my parents sort of called bullshit on the diagnosis. i've seen some therapists briefly and they also suggested that i am probably on the less severe part of the spectrum. my parents/father didn't accept that anything might be wrong with me and he still doesn't. he doesn't believe in neurological or psychological disorders. i remember i had to learn and internalize stuff like greeting people, keep up eye contact in conversations(which still freaks me out), and all those "normal" customs, as well as not taking every question literally. i was also very non verbal outside of the house or anywhere i felt uncomfortable. which was anywhere that was not our house. it's weird because now i get really pissed when people don't reciprocate that with me because it's hard for me to abide to all these norms and i sort of take it personal when people just disregard them while i work to/manage to get it done.

for the time when my parents apparently were still open to me being on the spectrum they sent me to play with other autistic kids and i often found there's some sort of mutual understanding or vibe when people on the spectrum meet. almost like in that bubble everyone seems kind of normal? not sure how to describe it. it's kind of cool actually.

i feel like skateboarding helped me become more normal in a sense while keeping the weirdness that is kind of cool. it made me also a bit more free in mind and less closed up. i felt at home with this pack of misfits. i was still the odd one out in the crew pretty often. and since i love to do repetitive things, i had no problem practicing the same trick the whole day. or doing the same trick the whole day. i learned a lot of tricks that way. i also felt less like an outcast overall, it seems that as a skater, you can get away with acting younger and being a bit weird and stuff. i played lots of teamsports and generally did all types of sport but never fit into a team because i had trouble making friends or connections through it other than the people i already was friends with outside anyway.

for me the hardest thing still is that sometimes masking up and trying to fit in is just super exhausting. i get really tired after too much social interaction and then i am literally out of words or energy to give real responses. i used to abuse alcohol heavily throughout my 20s and that helped a lot, but now i don't drink like that anymore(means i don't get drunk, only have a beer here and there), i can't keep up. like clubs and parties are just too much for me, i usually only go when it's some sort of obligation and then i stay for an hour and then bounce cause i'm literally depleted. i have three or four smalltalks, that usually go bad cause i don't know how to do small talk and keep the convo up. and then all i want is to get home and be alone again.

this extends to the internet as well, but i feel very home at here for example, and feeling comfortable makes it easier for me to keep up. also it's easier for me to write considerate responses since i can take my time.

the thing i dislike the most about being that way is that i am incredibly flakey. all this stuff basically leads to social anxiety because i overthink all the possible scenarios in social spaces a lot. and this leads to me often calling off any sort of date right before, because i'm panicking that i'm unprepared, or i already feel depleted of words or feelings. and it gets so bad that i get physical symptoms like nausea, heavy sweating,
or i have to pee every ten minutes, as if my body won't let me leave the house.

also i have a hard time dealing with a full mailbox, or any type of messenger program where you can be hit up at any time.

Love you, Frank

<3 u too bud

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2022, 04:23:49 PM »
Frank, you are rad!

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2022, 06:15:04 PM »

I'm like 99% sure I know who you're talking about from this description alone.

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
Wish i could help, im combination adhd with no medicine or even health insurance, i just cope with ungodly amounts of coke, I need help as well. Godspeed all.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A lot of that is relatable to me. I guess the whole point of "spectrum" is that basically everyone is on it, right? So far I have only been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression...
I want to skate with a crew, but then can't handle when there are a lot of people. Sucks.
Big shoutout to everyone struggling. You got it!
in this case, no not everyone is on it, the topic is the autistic spectrum. Social anxiety and depression is definitely co issues that pop up with many mental health disorders, but also very different than what is on the spectrum deal with, it can be similar but also very unique. Like for example, I’m high functioning on the spectrum and like most I have massive social anxiety, but unlike many from what I have been told my “fears” coming from the anxiety are very different. Many like me on the spectrum have a massive fear of being embarrassed. I’m almost 40 years old and I still get super nervous just skating down the street because skating is loud as fuck and I don’t want to draw attention to myself. I can get past it and do it but for most of my life it would strait up stop me from even trying to do it.

SK8houses

• Rep: -2
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2022, 01:27:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thanks for this post.

i was more or less diagnosed as a child, but didn't know that until my mother disclosed this to me as an adult as my parents sort of called bullshit on the diagnosis. i've seen some therapists briefly and they also suggested that i am probably on the less severe part of the spectrum. my parents/father didn't accept that anything might be wrong with me and he still doesn't. he doesn't believe in neurological or psychological disorders. i remember i had to learn and internalize stuff like greeting people, keep up eye contact in conversations(which still freaks me out), and all those "normal" customs, as well as not taking every question literally. i was also very non verbal outside of the house or anywhere i felt uncomfortable. which was anywhere that was not our house. it's weird because now i get really pissed when people don't reciprocate that with me because it's hard for me to abide to all these norms and i sort of take it personal when people just disregard them while i work to/manage to get it done.

for the time when my parents apparently were still open to me being on the spectrum they sent me to play with other autistic kids and i often found there's some sort of mutual understanding or vibe when people on the spectrum meet. almost like in that bubble everyone seems kind of normal? not sure how to describe it. it's kind of cool actually.

i feel like skateboarding helped me become more normal in a sense while keeping the weirdness that is kind of cool. it made me also a bit more free in mind and less closed up. i felt at home with this pack of misfits. i was still the odd one out in the crew pretty often. and since i love to do repetitive things, i had no problem practicing the same trick the whole day. or doing the same trick the whole day. i learned a lot of tricks that way. i also felt less like an outcast overall, it seems that as a skater, you can get away with acting younger and being a bit weird and stuff. i played lots of teamsports and generally did all types of sport but never fit into a team because i had trouble making friends or connections through it other than the people i already was friends with outside anyway.

for me the hardest thing still is that sometimes masking up and trying to fit in is just super exhausting. i get really tired after too much social interaction and then i am literally out of words or energy to give real responses. i used to abuse alcohol heavily throughout my 20s and that helped a lot, but now i don't drink like that anymore(means i don't get drunk, only have a beer here and there), i can't keep up. like clubs and parties are just too much for me, i usually only go when it's some sort of obligation and then i stay for an hour and then bounce cause i'm literally depleted. i have three or four smalltalks, that usually go bad cause i don't know how to do small talk and keep the convo up. and then all i want is to get home and be alone again.

this extends to the internet as well, but i feel very home at here for example, and feeling comfortable makes it easier for me to keep up. also it's easier for me to write considerate responses since i can take my time.

the thing i dislike the most about being that way is that i am incredibly flakey. all this stuff basically leads to social anxiety because i overthink all the possible scenarios in social spaces a lot. and this leads to me often calling off any sort of date right before, because i'm panicking that i'm unprepared, or i already feel depleted of words or feelings. and it gets so bad that i get physical symptoms like nausea, heavy sweating,
or i have to pee every ten minutes, as if my body won't let me leave the house.

also i have a hard time dealing with a full mailbox, or any type of messenger program where you can be hit up at any

Thank you for your thoughtful response and being open to sharing your perspective on this! It is really awesome to discuss this with adults who have an ASD diagnosis.

Touching on the mutual understanding between the children who have developmental  delays actually reminds me of the mutual understanding skaters have of one another. It’s this understanding that they are both aware of with out verbally communicating it. That was one thing that always fascinated me about children with that diagnosis. Them understanding others in a similar situation but simultaneously “not
having social skills” within their range of chronological development.

What you said about your own parents is something that is very hard, especially on the child. I have been there with parents who are just finding out their child got diagnosed and have experienced some heavy situations. The denial by parents is one of the hardest things to overcome that I encountered as a counselor. A lot of the time one parent (mostly the father) would be in such a delusional state of denial that they would leave their family and move on. I can’t imagine how that would feel to the child.

One question for you, have you ever looked into ACT? (Acceptance commitment therapy).
It’s not widely practiced but when I was a therapist this therapy model seemed to work well (better than ABA or CBT for most clients with ASD). Don’t get me wrong, they all work differently depending on the individuals needs and one is not better than the other, but it is a great one if practiced properly.

Again, I really appreciate you sharing your perspective

Hastings

• Rep: 37
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2022, 06:24:39 AM »
I'm not diagnosed as anything, though I'm real sure I am... dealing with people you half know, or a big group of people is the absolute worst. Everyone just thinks I'm some rude offish guy. When in reality I'm stressing about every nano second of the encounter and would just rather bail.

I see things so differently than everyone else I know. I'm halfway through life now and I've learnt to mask/avoid most things... though I would have appreciated some help as a child.

Skateboarding has been super rad for me... maybe a little too much though.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2022, 11:33:13 AM »
I feel like this is an important issue that is deeply intertwined with skateboarding but is not talked about enough as it is often masked through our focus on physical ability, being able to see ourselves as social outcasts just because we skate, self-medication in our developmental years, and probably many other reasons.

I would love to hear from everyday skaters with autism about the challenges, as well as the positives.

Challenges are separate. Skateboarders are weird, and my challenges don't come from that at all.
People these days talk about autism like they talk about having native American ancestors. IMO who cares unless you are trying to solve a problem. I don't want to sound rude but I'm an adult and I don't need to be put into yet another group.
Skateboarders, fine. Spectrum, fine. Don't need both. Being on the spectrum doesn't really effect being a skateboarder to me.

My REGULAR LIFE challenges involve me not telling a damn person about it unless they are also on the spectrum. I don't have severe problems or manias just some mathematical difficulties and I have ulcers probably from stressing about things. I'm particular.

I can't even imagine what skateboarding would have to do with it except maybe helping me cope with life, but I think just about everyone benefits from that if they skate.

Sorry, I feel like I should comment but I'm not sure this is what you had in mind. I'm not stoked on this autism thing and even less about it being some kind of thing to brag about. It makes me feel really uncomfortable.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2022, 05:33:54 PM »
guy with autism,
it doesn't change how i skate much, if at all. if anything it might help, as i can get fixated on landing the one trick.
the main challenge is talking to people, especially trying to assemble my crew of 'homies'. if i'm talking with one guy it's about 50/50 that we'll have some meaningful kind of conversation, but i always feel out of place whenever there's any kind of group. i always end up overthinking, not wanting to intrude too much on the dynamic of the group or do something wrong.

shit sucks but that's life
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with