Author Topic: Gonz trick tip: the fakie carnivorous  (Read 1156 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Gonz trick tip: the fakie carnivorous
« on: May 21, 2022, 12:02:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_CG-mu7X0g

Who else is going to try? Someone on here already has it down maybe? Been loving Gonz's YouTube channel lately, he's killing it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: Gonz trick tip: the fakie carnivorous
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 02:07:52 AM »
It's not a fakie sweeper?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 05:44:15 AM »
Guess not, at least if Gonz calls a trick something I know I'm going to go with it. My guess is it may be because you don't literally sweep across the platform while going frontside with this one and so it can't be a sweeper. Fuck if I know. Do you do it?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 06:21:43 AM »
I think at some point I've done probably every type of footplant thingy on a mini ramp. I don't skate transition anymore but. Herniated discs in my back so the slams aren't worth it. Wonder if there's a regular carnivorus like a bean fakie but other leg down. 

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 07:16:12 AM »
I think at some point I've done probably every type of footplant thingy on a mini ramp. I don't skate transition anymore but. Herniated discs in my back so the slams aren't worth it. Wonder if there's a regular carnivorus like a bean fakie but other leg down.

That's cool and about the regular version I reckon you may be right. I very rarely skate transition too but am a big fan of sweepers when I do, also always loved seeing Gonz or Paulo Diaz do that trick on urban spots, not necessarily transition or inclines. Fakie carnivorous off flat over a ledge or something sounds fun, fakie ollie over then put the foot down and grab.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:59:04 AM »
Looks achievable but I bet when I try it, it will be a whole other story. Might try...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 11:27:49 PM »
Al Losi did this no handed no?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 02:47:14 AM »
Al Losi did this no handed no?

I wouldn't doubt your word, my knowledge of a lot of vert skating can be lacking. If you remember the name of the video (unless it was a sequence), I would be keen to see it. I imagine no handed would feel really weird, like just a crazy fakie footplant, benihana type of pose too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 07:22:01 AM »
Even Gip concurs…

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=34691.0

It’s prolly in a love letters…..

I just saw pics but think it would have gone down like this a fakie ollie bumping off coping planting the back foot and then getting it on.  Same idea Natas originally did the Ollie fast plant on street, but going forward.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 09:10:20 AM »
Even Gip concurs…

I just saw pics but think it would have gone down like this a fakie ollie bumping off coping planting the back foot and then getting it on.  Same idea Natas originally did the Ollie fast plant on street, but going forward.

Thanks, I'll try and find it, I probably should watch more classic vert parts in general... I can totally picture the trick.

What's funny is just bringing up benihanas earlier I remembered the Jenkem article on the origin of the trick and benibonga/benihana terms: https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/02/22/history-skateboardings-taboo-trick-benihana/

And the history of that trick reads like a multiverse version of exactly the trick we're discussing, just with the other foot off. Made me realize I don't think I've ever done fakie thrusters too, I should try... I remember I learned running up then dropping into miniramps the thruster way before normal drop-ins as a kid because somehow that felt safer than elevator position. So for a while, during group sessions, my turns looked real weird.

Good Jenkem piece in 2022 would be a study on the physical similarities and differences between Losi's trick and falcon plants - ouch.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Even Gip concurs…

[close]

Thanks, I'll try and find it, I probably should watch more classic vert parts in general... I can totally picture the trick.

What's funny is just bringing up benihanas earlier I remembered the Jenkem article on the origin of the trick and benibonga/benihana terms: https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/02/22/history-skateboardings-taboo-trick-benihana/

And the history of that trick reads like a multiverse version of exactly the trick we're discussing, just with the other foot off. Made me realize I don't think I've ever done fakie thrusters too, I should try... I remember I learned running up then dropping into miniramps the thruster way before normal drop-ins as a kid because somehow that felt safer than elevator position. So for a while, during group sessions, my turns looked real weird.

Good Jenkem piece in 2022 would be a study on the physical similarities and differences between Losi's trick and falcon plants - ouch.
Does a backside Benihana have a name? Or like the judo version so your foots kicked out in front of your grabbing hand?
In 2022 is it still worth getting into the fakie thruster vs switch ice plant vs switch bean fakie or has it reached just call it whatever

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 12:09:07 PM »
I have no idea, to be honest at this point I basically call everything a whatever these days, but according to your definition maybe that just means I'm ahead of the times (your definition actually gives me hope there that perhaps I'm not just fried or fucking stupid).

You know a whatever I never really knew the real name for, it's the one Daewon does a lot but a good example is at 7:59 in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04M26RH9dhM

I remember the Grind Session game on the PlayStation called it the 'slamma jamma', but I swear I've heard it called a few other things. Matt Hensley also used to do similar tricks off jump ramps with funny names I keep hearing and then forgetting because I personally always sucked at jump ramps.

Little kid in me actually always wanted to do the slamma jamma thing at least once to experience how it feels, since I first saw a clip. It just looks so funny and more accessible than a McTwist so maybe it can be my personal McTwist? Except it took me two decades to even start registering how that move worked. To this day I haven't tried it once. But I'm starting to read it as basically a (strong) stretch on the beanplant. Maybe one day I'll try it over a hip and slam on my ass.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 08:13:41 PM »
Re Benihana there is a love letters where I think Lester breaks it down….OG is like a fakie thruster, backside is Benibongo. 

I don’t think there ever was an opposite kick benihana…..

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 10:36:57 PM »
Re Benihana there is a love letters where I think Lester breaks it down….OG is like a fakie thruster, backside is Benibongo. 

I don’t think there ever was an opposite kick benihana…..
I thought frontside was the benibongo. Had a friend who would do the front kick Benis so I have to assume plenty of other around the world have done it too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 05:48:56 PM »
Yes…you are correct…11:00

https://youtu.be/_tAtBb6U9rI

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 08:37:28 PM »
I have no idea, to be honest at this point I basically call everything a whatever these days, but according to your definition maybe that just means I'm ahead of the times (your definition actually gives me hope there that perhaps I'm not just fried or fucking stupid).

You know a whatever I never really knew the real name for, it's the one Daewon does a lot but a good example is at 7:59 in this:

I remember the Grind Session game on the PlayStation called it the 'slamma jamma', but I swear I've heard it called a few other things. Matt Hensley also used to do similar tricks off jump ramps with funny names I keep hearing and then forgetting because I personally always sucked at jump ramps.

Little kid in me actually always wanted to do the slamma jamma thing at least once to experience how it feels, since I first saw a clip. It just looks so funny and more accessible than a McTwist so maybe it can be my personal McTwist? Except it took me two decades to even start registering how that move worked. To this day I haven't tried it once. But I'm starting to read it as basically a (strong) stretch on the beanplant. Maybe one day I'll try it over a hip and slam on my ass.

So this may sound weird but at one point in my life I had almost a natural mctwist. Skating, Snowboards, rollerblades, whatever. I could even do them off them by pushing off with my foot the same way a lot of kids do backflips. How I learned them without dying was actually on a diving board at the city pool... It started as a like a side flip and then I figured out how to control myself on takeoff in the air with my hips and shoulders. After you do a couple the whole disorienting panicked feeling of being upside down starts to go away and you'll start to learn to spot your landing while rotating. The first ones I landed on a board were the little tight ones where you sort of just roll off the lip and keep everything in tight so you rotate super quickly. You don't need a ton of air, but you do need to be willing to look like a rolling jackass until you figure them out.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 01:55:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So this may sound weird but at one point in my life I had almost a natural mctwist. Skating, Snowboards, rollerblades, whatever. I could even do them off them by pushing off with my foot the same way a lot of kids do backflips. How I learned them without dying was actually on a diving board at the city pool... It started as a like a side flip and then I figured out how to control myself on takeoff in the air with my hips and shoulders. After you do a couple the whole disorienting panicked feeling of being upside down starts to go away and you'll start to learn to spot your landing while rotating. The first ones I landed on a board were the little tight ones where you sort of just roll off the lip and keep everything in tight so you rotate super quickly. You don't need a ton of air, but you do need to be willing to look like a rolling jackass until you figure them out.

That's cool, I don't think I actually want to ever do a McTwist to be honest otherwise I reckon I would have tried. Reminds me of a friend of mine who could do some sort of bastardized invert on coping and then tumble into some wild rollie pollie from there, possibly frontside too, so technically not a McTwist at all but to him it was his McTwist and so the McTwist. Seemed to be all in the shoulders and hips (oh but you don't say). Me I'm not a gymnast. Used to love the idea of somersaults and whatnot as a kid but outgrew that with cartoons. If things really have to come down to this then I'm more of a backside boneless guy.