Author Topic: transparent Editing help  (Read 440 times)

nath.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
transparent Editing help
« on: May 21, 2022, 07:22:08 AM »

I have an image I just need to turn transparent, can anyone help, I just need to change it from black to white

https://pasteboard.co/6qH93vnARSuN.jpg

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
Re: transparent Editing help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 06:24:20 PM »

I have an image I just need to turn transparent, can anyone help, I just need to change it from black to white

https://pasteboard.co/6qH93vnARSuN.jpg
Do you have access to photoshop?
Just knock out the background, or also make the image white?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:38:39 PM »
Do you want to reverse the colors or make the black see through?

Use Photopea and watch a youtube video.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 07:07:33 PM »
transparent background?

In Photoshop, use the magnetic lasso tool, trace the image, and copy and paste it into a new artboard and delete the "background".

This image looks complicated so it might be tough.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 01:50:13 AM »
JPEG doesn't support transparency, so you need to use a file format that does if you're going to keep it as a raster. PNG is probably best but gif should be fine with a single color.

If this is for anything even remotely professional you really should convert it to a vector though, aside from inherent transparency you'll be able to scale infinitely large or small without losing image quality.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1427
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 07:57:46 PM »
Like this?

Took me 3 mins to do and looks like shit. Ain't no way in hell I'm tracing the whole thing organically so detail is going to be lost.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 08:32:38 PM »

just toss it in illustrator, sketch, ungroup and select the white colors, flip em to black, and vice versa to the white. I don't know how to do that without selecting them individually. and i'm not trying to do all that for free.

I attached the pdf below

FYI if this is for silkscreen you gotta punch those white areas out with the pathfinder, and i'm not trying to do all that for free either.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2022, 09:04:26 AM »
here dude, probably the best i could do in a few minutes, assuming you wanted everything but the black lines transparent

just toss it in illustrator, sketch, ungroup and select the white colors, flip em to black, and vice versa to the white. I don't know how to do that without selecting them individually. and i'm not trying to do all that for free.

I attached the pdf below

FYI if this is for silkscreen you gotta punch those white areas out with the pathfinder, and i'm not trying to do all that for free either.
don't use live trace in illustrator, it always looks like shit, unless you want to spend a ton of time adjusting the path. there are better vectorizing applications.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2022, 12:45:46 PM »
here dude, probably the best i could do in a few minutes, assuming you wanted everything but the black lines transparent

Expand Quote

I attached the pdf below

[close]
don't use live trace in illustrator, it always looks like shit, unless you want to spend a ton of time adjusting the path. there are better vectorizing applications.

you did a top notch job my dude
as far as the correct method of vectorization--enlighten me, for infinite gnars

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
i mean i don't think anything really beats the pen tool, but it is time consuming. for automatic vectorizing there are programs you can use to get better results than AI live trace, i've tried vector magic and it works pretty good, and sean cliver uses one called canvas x draw.

Christ Puncher

• Rep: 40
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2022, 02:38:21 AM »
There are a few light sections that require a bit of work. Used alpha channels.

I would skate a Najaf board if it was a nice shoe and my size.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 01:20:44 PM »
i mean i don't think anything really beats the pen tool, but it is time consuming. for automatic vectorizing there are programs you can use to get better results than AI live trace, i've tried vector magic and it works pretty good, and sean cliver uses one called canvas x draw.

FWIW I've found that cleaning up the image in Photoshop (or your preferred raster editing software) before starting your live trace can really improve up the result. Especially if you're good with the settings, which I am not but sometimes get lucky haha.