Author Topic: The sea and cake  (Read 386 times)

thebacker

The sea and cake
« on: September 15, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »

HeavyAndExpensive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 114
Re: The sea and cake
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 01:13:12 PM »
The Sea and Cake are one of my all time favorite bands, particularly their self titled, The Biz, Nassau, the Fawn. Love them, their laid back guitar work, they’re just really chill and understated. Great band. Have you ever listened to Karate? Similar sound, though their vocals are a bit more in the forefront.

thebacker

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
The Sea and Cake are one of my all time favorite bands, particularly their self titled, The Biz, Nassau, the Fawn. Love them, their laid back guitar work, they’re just really chill and understated. Great band. Have you ever listened to Karate? Similar sound, though their vocals are a bit more in the forefront.

ill check em out, any specific recommendations?

buffalo hunter

• Rep: 35
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 05:47:12 PM »
Been listening to them since the beginning. I seen them once around 1998. They are amazing live. I like the early stuff the best.

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 06:20:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The bed is in the ocean, and In place of real insight are the two I love.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 07:09:57 PM »
any sea and cake fans?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jk-uJmRC7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4vwckri1E
Who skated to the argument? Around 00/01. Maybe it was a montage in a digital or on.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 07:54:51 PM »
Oh my God, where do I begin. Absolutely love the Sea and Cake, Oui and The Fawn are two of my most cherished albums of all time. Oui especially was one of the defining albums of my early and mid twenties.

Their music got me through some very difficult times.

And I definitely owe it to skateboarding for introducing me to the band.

A couple of of my favourite tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgO_nn8MD2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeG2lf87dI8

Who skated to the argument? Around 00/01. Maybe it was a montage in a digital or on.

Appleyard in IE

HeavyAndExpensive

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 08:20:30 PM »

thebacker

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 09:30:41 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUquchslIgI

i got to see them  at this show a few years ago (RIP Boot and Saddle)
still cant get over how fucking good the argument (1:10:00) and four corners (opener) sounded
the new stuff they played was whatever but the set had a decent mix of old and new

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 08:23:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I seem to have found that Karate is one of those bands from back in the day that reappeared back in my life. I liked them back around '00, but wasn't nuts for them. Maybe 6 years or so Bass Sounds ended up randomly on one of my wife's mix cds in her car and i was reminded of them. Now I play these two albums quite a bit. Not many people seem to be aware of them. I always imagine that them, and Dismemberment Plan were more midwest/east coast phenomenons and never really made it to the west coast. Love me some Sea and Cake, too. OP should check out the first two Sam Prekop solo albums as well. They have the same vibe. I play the first solo album a bunch still.

thebacker

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I seem to have found that Karate is one of those bands from back in the day that reappeared back in my life. I liked them back around '00, but wasn't nuts for them. Maybe 6 years or so Bass Sounds ended up randomly on one of my wife's mix cds in her car and i was reminded of them. Now I play these two albums quite a bit. Not many people seem to be aware of them. I always imagine that them, and Dismemberment Plan were more midwest/east coast phenomenons and never really made it to the west coast. Love me some Sea and Cake, too. OP should check out the first two Sam Prekop solo albums as well. They have the same vibe. I play the first solo album a bunch still.

that first sam prekop solo album is a gem

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
  • downward is heavenward
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 08:31:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

that first sam prekop solo album is a gem

Some Boots!!!!!

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 09:36:44 AM »
sea and cake/sam preskop are siq

can admit i def first heard em cause of emerica this is skateboarding b sides using the david bowie cover

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »

Logic #6

https://youtu.be/cRooqiZYT6w?t=1047
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 01:05:25 PM »
 Never been very familiar with their work, but they got their name from this track (on one of my all-time favourite albums) which is pretty cool:

https://youtu.be/l0SQoGTIBN8

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 09:02:11 PM »
pretty crazy to this day i can't listen to "the fawn" without my stomach kind of hurting because it reminds me of my first girlfriend who broke my heart spectacularly
in 10th grade

i love this song/edit from dan wolfe's closure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYq5jPBTfCQ