Author Topic: Needing help/advice with 50/50s.  (Read 941 times)

FrankRizzo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
Needing help/advice with 50/50s.
« on: May 21, 2022, 07:06:03 PM »
Started carving skate park bowls at age forty (learned to push as a kid over cracked and heaved NE terrain but never learned tricks (been off the board 25 year or so)).

I can pump for speed quite well, carve grind and blast out. I can ride fakie and switch but I am still getting a feel for it (more so with hill bombing doing 180 into it).

I carve grind coping BS and FS and would enjoy advice turning my grind into a 50/50.

I think my issue may be skating loose trucks and tending to carve through everything rather then kick turn.
I can kick turn but rarely do it. Also the parks nearest to me have 4' high minimum transition so I haven't developed mini ramp skills/stalls/etc.

I have to avoid major injuries due to fatherhood and teaching yoga so I am sure that is holding me back from progressing grinds.

Any advice is appreciated. Most skaters I've asked have a hard time explaining how they get into things.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 09:17:21 AM by rocklobster »

dofrenzy

Re: Needing help/advice with 50/50s.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 11:51:08 AM »
Don’t know if I can help but 50/50 stall (axle stall) was the 3rd or 4th thing I learned on coping on a smaller (about 2.5 or 3 foot) mini.  I started by learning how to come back in first by setting up on the coping and dropping/turning into the ramp. 

Only backside for me (facing the transition/ramp)

- place axles on coping on top of the ramp.
——— fully decked heel-wheels, toe wheels fully against coping
- step on board in normal riding stance, front foot on bolts, back foot on tail.
- push/skooch the back-heel-wheel forward so it hits the coping and the toe-side back wheel is hanging in the transition
——— toe-side front wheel is still against the coping
- press tail, lift front wheels, turn into the ramp and get in there!

To get up there from in the transition, you need a little extra pump at the top of the transition and something like a kick turn where you raise your front wheels as they get to the coping, or ride over the coping with the front wheels (maybe depends on how much bonk the coping has….how much the coping sticks out into the transition).

It takes some time to learn to feel where your back wheels are on the coping.  Personally I feel speed and power are your friend here and it’s better to fly out to the deck than to not get the one back wheel over the coping.

In any case, my ONLY slam(s) with this trick have been coming back in.  Get comfy with setting up on the coping and turning the board into the ramp first.  Once you get the stall on lock you can get it grinding.

Knowing me, there’s a good chance I explained something that you aren’t asking about, but I like to think that in my nearly 3 years of skating I at least know what a 50/50 is.

4’ is crazy to learn on at our ages (I’ll be 53 this week) but with a step-wise approach I think It is totally in reach.  Full pads and helmet will help and padded shorts for sure!!!! (Shorts with hip, thigh, tailbone and butt pads, easy to hide under loose fit dickies or similar)

I’ll throw up my worst 50/50 stall slam along with a demo video in a bit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:24:48 PM by dofrenzy »

dofrenzy

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 01:43:57 PM »
I honestly don’t know if this will help at all, but I hope you can glean something helpful from this.

Say hello to my little slam (just to be clear about some of the dangers):

https://youtu.be/kq29PMveHo0

Here’s my demo to maybe help you visualize. I am NOT at “expert” level (little slam while making this and left knee-cap is sore now) but I *love* a 50-50 stall and once it starts grinding it is super groovy:

https://youtu.be/o_Z9scW0-8U

EDIT - it isn’t just by feel when you know the back axle is on the coping, also listen for it

Good luck, please consider safety equipment!!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:54:30 PM by dofrenzy »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 11:26:45 PM »
I’ve skated forever, never quitting but finally just figured out axel stalls and 50-50’s in the last few years….

My advice :

1) just get to the coping regularly and try getting the co-ordination to put both trucks on coping but in the ramp.  I did this for years, having the skill to even pull it to fakie but never getting n top.
2) just riding onto the deck, over time dialing it to something closer to a 50-50
3) consider learning 50-50 drop ins.  Lean back, with your head stacked over your back leg.  You never want to be flopping forward.  This is kinda not necessary. It’s scary but if you do it, your kinda have the trick.
4) I think most of the trick is in on the back toe…..shift your hips back and sit on your heels….pushing your front foot forward along the coping. 

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 04:50:07 PM »
Totally agree with learning to drop in from an axle stall.
Might be basic, but the thing that made this click for me (on both the 50/50 drop in and the stall) was to come in really light footed. I was thinking about it like a tail drop (heavy front foot) and hanging up on the coping every time. Once I learned to "float it in," it worked.