Author Topic: Funniest “beginner” tricks  (Read 2668 times)

sk8punk110

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -39
Re: Funniest “beginner” tricks
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 05:51:03 AM »
Before I could flip my board I used to do fastplant fingerflips all the time, I thought i was super sick and freestyle whole time I just looked like an idiot.
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

sk8punk110

• Rep: -39
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2022, 05:54:52 AM »
shove tailgrab,
My one friend does these all the time down stairs and drops, and I tell him he should just do a regular pop shuv because it looks better and is harder and he could totally do it without the grab, he doesnt listen to me so now I just feel like a dick whenever I say it.
My pillowcase is made out of griptape.  That core enough for your punk ass?

flippy lippy

• Rep: -23
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2022, 06:13:47 AM »
Sweeper

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2022, 06:32:31 AM »
Axle stall (stop for coffee) to crooked stall (stop for coffee) to feeble stall (stop for coffee) to rock to fakie

Fakie front 50 big spin out

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2022, 08:19:00 AM »
the one where you start with the board upside down with your toes underneath and then jump and do like half a heelflip. kids dig that. fakie bigspin is definitely the GOAT beginner stunt - i remember feeling like an absolute legend doing those the first few times.

damn this shit is real.

how about finding a pole or piece of metal in the neighborhood somewhere, putting it on the ground and roll on 50-50ing it. Extra points if the pole is in grass. I have hours of footy of myself doing this.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2022, 08:22:40 AM »
all of these tricks are sick as fuck

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2022, 08:22:53 AM »
Late shuvit.
Shout out Frankie Decker.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2022, 09:22:41 AM »
fakie frontside 50-50 frontside halfcab out

frontside 50-50 nollie backside bigspin out

nollie norths

nose manny to manny (or vice versa)

The Mad Rapper

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2022, 09:26:54 AM »
fakie 50-50 fakie front 180/ 360/ big spin out. 

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »
I thought I was so gnar for doing nollie 360 shuvs as a kid.

A kid I knew growing up would always challenge people to games of SKATE on the park's mini quarterpipe and he would do the most silly combos that just involved standing on the coping. Axle stall to 5-0 to axle to smith to axle to feeble to axle to 5-0 to axle to tail kinda tricks.

Is that kid in this video?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2022, 09:47:36 AM »
Expand Quote
I thought I was so gnar for doing nollie 360 shuvs as a kid.

A kid I knew growing up would always challenge people to games of SKATE on the park's mini quarterpipe and he would do the most silly combos that just involved standing on the coping. Axle stall to 5-0 to axle to smith to axle to feeble to axle to 5-0 to axle to tail kinda tricks.
[close]

Is that kid in this video?

God, the thing && does where he gets into axle stall and then bashes his front truck onto the coping over and over fuckin sends me. What is he accomplishing with it. Thats some little kid shit for sure.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 716
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2022, 11:25:39 AM »
Oh shit I almost forgot. is Fakie big spin the GOAT beginner trick???

It’s gotta be. 

I feel like a lot of these other tricks - 5050 variations, varial flips, etc can be sick either in the right context or ironically (maybe with the exception of frontside 5050 frontside 180 out)

But seeing a pro do a fakie bigspin as a single trick in a part (kind of rare to see) hurts my heart a little bit

somefucker

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2022, 11:26:59 AM »

if there is no tail contact, yes

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2022, 11:28:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s gotta be. 

I feel like a lot of these other tricks - 5050 variations, varial flips, etc can be sick either in the right context or ironically (maybe with the exception of frontside 5050 frontside 180 out)

But seeing a pro do a fakie bigspin as a single trick in a part (kind of rare to see) hurts my heart a little bit

Yeah, I think the best way to think about this thread is imagine yourself as a 12 year old doing any of these tricks at negative speed.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -483
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2022, 12:50:45 PM »
Moving this over from the unpopular opinion thread: what are the funniest/best “beginner” tricks you’ve done or seen?

I used to do bs shuv it w/ an opposite way body varial on the neighbors driveway that I called “funny shuvs”, waiting for a pro to throw that one down something big….

Also, how about fakie rock n roll where you basically turn 360 degrees with a lil Rock in the middle. That’s a good one to impress the homies with on a 2’ quarterpipe.

So you just did shuv rewinds but sucked?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -483
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 12:53:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s gotta be. 

While I agree , fakie big spin manual back 180 out is super fun to do and I still find a lotta of people can’t do them haha
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 12:54:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Moving this over from the unpopular opinion thread: what are the funniest/best “beginner” tricks you’ve done or seen?

I used to do bs shuv it w/ an opposite way body varial on the neighbors driveway that I called “funny shuvs”, waiting for a pro to throw that one down something big….

Also, how about fakie rock n roll where you basically turn 360 degrees with a lil Rock in the middle. That’s a good one to impress the homies with on a 2’ quarterpipe.
[close]

So you just did shuv rewinds but sucked?

Not quite. it was basically this but slow, low, and way worse.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 01:51:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s gotta be. 

[close]

While I agree , fakie big spin manual back 180 out is super fun to do and I still find a lotta of people can’t do them haha

Yeah for sure - into manual totally changes things

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »

2:17 will change your mind

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 02:00:44 PM »
fakie bigspin is a goat trick in general, I think more pros should do them, they're indicative of high class and tastefulness

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 02:37:55 PM »
Imagine a big crew of skaters pushing their ass down the street, one of them noticing a pretty girl walking down the sidewalk. He risks everything to get her attention among the multitude of his peers. Knowing full well he's unable to do the ollies, 180s and coveted kickflips of his comrades, he risks everything to lift his front wheels off of the ground. He's done it! He's doing the flatground manual! He flails his arms in attempt to keep it going as long as he can but, alas, he drags his tail  and shuffles around to keep his balance. He glances over to the girl, but she didn't notice. With a sigh of relief, he continues his maneuver into the sunset. Little did he know that she wasn't even aware of his presence to begin with. One question still remains, "when will the manual end?"

Thank you for helping me verbalize and establish to myself that there really were two types of people in this world: those who in such situations ask themselves, 'when will the manual end?'. And those who instead ask themselves, 'when does the next manual start?'.

And then maybe you have a few odd ones who ask themselves 'this totally didn't work out but still, now should I try a nosemanual?'

Glue Foot

• Rep: 4
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 03:05:25 PM »
Expand Quote
the one where you start with the board upside down with your toes underneath and then jump and do like half a heelflip. kids dig that. fakie bigspin is definitely the GOAT beginner stunt - i remember feeling like an absolute legend doing those the first few times.
[close]

damn this shit is real.

this one takes me back. when i was a kid a friend showed me the toes under the board half flip and then he showed me how he was learning ollies standing still in the grass or with the back wheels in a crack (for safety). he never got any better.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 03:33:10 PM »
^ That was my cousin. I mean literally no I don't think it was, but that's exactly how my cousin breaking down ollies to me went down to a tee. Maybe there's some kind of esoteric levels of distant connection. At least on my end I'm talking a rather distant cousin.

Expand Quote
There's a few tricks I like to show to the kids I see struggle on flatground ollies at the skatepark when they start looking so frustrated about the process their face reads 'I'm about to start hating skating', usually based on 'alternative' ways to get height when cruising around even with zero technical skill:

- early grabs (I like early mute/ideally japan, also because I never really did any other variation myself);
- beanplants;
- pop the nose into your leading hand/run/bomb drop back onto the board;
- kickback (the no-pop half kickflip Ben Kadow brought back);
- no-pop nose shuvs/powerslide shoves if I notice they can powerslide or revert, also one-footed reverts;
- step hop front shove;
- kick the board around so that it does like a 720 spin on the ground as you run next to it then catch it again;
- if there's a wall, approach backside then pop and kick the board up into a wallride but you stay on the ground and lead it into your hand to grab it, then run and bomb drop;
- bunch of classic Neil Blender fun moves;
- walk the dog;
- 'ollie main' or hand ollie, it's a normal ollie but your front foot instantly comes out like a one-foot and it's your leading hand that reaches down and does the motion the front foot normally would by rubbing against the grip tape (no grab so it's not a scarewalk; instead you 'karate chop');
- if they can do like frontside 180's and fakie shuvs or bigspins, I show them how to connect those tricks together and challenge them to do them in succession with no push and just flow, also introduce them to the idea of body varials or one-footed landings;
- I never expect them to try it, but 360 flip step hop seems especially fascinating to kids when they first see it;

I think it's just cool to show kids skating doesn't have to be linear and especially not boring, every single time I've done it all have appreciated it and sometimes I'll run into them years later and they've incorporated some of what I've showed them into their own style, always feels like a blessing and a win for skating as a communication tool.
[close]

You sound like a legendary old cunt to have at the skatepark. (no sarcasm)

I appreciate that, the best part is hardly anyone can tell but I only ever had to work on the legendary part.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 03:43:34 PM by silhouette »

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2022, 04:11:51 PM »
you all are naming all the tricks I have

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

2:17 will change your mind

I’ll respectively maintain my stance on fakie bigspins while admitting that TJ’s was an extremely well executed fakie bigspin

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2022, 06:29:02 PM »
i used to do this weird as trick where i'd push the nose to the ground at about 90 degrees, similar to a noseslide distribution just with no ledge. from there i'd do a kind of half shuv to end up rotating the board in a shuv motion, just without any pop.
fun little thing, and while i don't think they're cool anymore it's fun to pull one out while fucking around
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2022, 06:40:52 PM »
Roll on grinds onto a shitty curb - anything to get grind marks on your trucks to prove you weren't a complete beginner.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1579
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2022, 06:47:53 PM »
Wheels in the crack stationary ollie where the tail doesn't even hit and you're praying no one saw you
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2022, 08:50:17 PM »
Nollie 360 but 30% of it is wheels on the ground
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2022, 09:12:13 PM »
Ollies up curbs are very fun as a beginner. Especially after taking slams from hanging up, then overcoming the fear and trying it again. To me at least. It felt like I was going to be able to flow through any area and neighborhood. Unfortunately I never really got used to it.