Author Topic: Who's got wok skills?  (Read 766 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Who's got wok skills?
« on: May 23, 2022, 04:28:51 PM »
I've been getting better at using my cast iron wok although I wish I had a carbon steel wok.

I'm trying to make fried noodles as good as I got in Hong Kong.

Anyone a wok master? All tips welcome.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Who's got wok skills?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 05:49:30 PM »
My old lady is getting pretty good with the wok. Shit was brutal for a while, lots of burnt stuff and bad smells. But she handles up a mean stir fry, fried rice etc. In love listening to mustard seeds pop in there
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Resident Jeff

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 05:56:36 PM »
Definitely try getting your hands on a carbon steel wok, cast iron is far too heavy for that style of cooking.

A few (potentially obvious) tips:

Treat a wok like any other decent pan, get a good layer of seasoning on there, it makes a world of difference.

Get that thing super hot before anything goes in, I’m talking at smoking point. Then keep everything moving.

Never overcrowd your wok, it’ll lose all its heat and you’ll end up stewing whatever’s in there. If you’re cooking for a few people do it in small batchs (or get a bigger wok).

As far as recipes go, it’s almost limitless. I like to keep it pretty simple and just whip up a nice sauce, there are so many directions you can take it but the sauce will be your key component.
Always have your noodles cooked and ready to go, then just toss em through quickly at the end, no sticking!!

Sorry for the wall of text, I like to cook…
Reschs Refreshes

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 982
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2022, 08:08:07 PM »
just buy this and thank me later
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2022, 08:24:51 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 08:43:31 PM »
My former manager, from China, told me he only woks outside because of the mess and smells. He lives in San Diego so he can do that every day.

Peanut oil, high heat and constant stirring seems to be the move.

I also don’t add sauce until the end because the sugar will burn.

Also, Soy Vay Island Teriyaki is a fantastic sauce. Also, anything by house of Tsang is delicious.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 11:32:52 PM »
I see it pretty commonly out here Chinese fams have a whole other kitchen…..

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 03:55:38 AM »
just buy this and thank me later

Hahahaha. I used to fuck heavy with these until i realized how much sodium they have. It's all about their pasta.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 04:26:31 AM »
Kind of a PITA, but one of the keys passed down the line from my grandma is to use raw/unsteamed fresh Hong Kong style "chow mein" noodles (the characters are 生香港式炒麵). These may or may not be readily available in your area. I honestly thought she was bonkers for a while, but over the years I've seen it mentioned in different places, so she wasn't off her rocker.

I've tried using pre-steamed or dried noodles and it's not the same. Might be all in my head though.

If you can't find them, you can also buy the pre-steamed and skip the steaming steps or the dried variety and boil it according to the package instructions, then cool it with water. I think Amazon has the prepped variety, but if you can, support our "core" mom and pop shops and head into your local Asian market and spread the love. At least in the US, the communities are suffering from some seriously violence and crime...

...but this ain't a sociopolitical thread, so pardon my digression...

Now, where were we?

I'm assuming you may already know what sauce/topping you want on the noodles, so I'll focus on how to make them crispy.

Sorry if you already know any of these steps...

TL;DR

1.) Steam noodles
2.) Fry one side; flip
3.) Fry the other side.
4.) Plate
5.) Top with your desired style of stir fry.

In depth instructions:

Ingredients:

1 package raw/Unsteamed HK style chow mein noodles
2 TBS (can be US/UK or Australian tablespoons, doesn't really matter) corn oil (or any high smoke point oil)

Equipment:

Steamer
Colander/strainer
Mixing bowl of cold water
Cooking/regular wooden chopsticks
Wok
Plate
Spatula (optional)

First off, make sure all your ingredients and equipment are prepped and staged as much as possible (this includes your sauces and other ingredients you want to add). With wok usage, timing is crucial.

There's not much wiggle room - too short and stuff's undercooked, too long and the texture is gone or it's burnt to hell.

Anyhow.

Steam the noodles on high for about 10 minutes, then dip them into cold water to stop the cooking for about 20 seconds. After that drain the noodles through a colander, and fluff/separate the noodles for about 1-2 minutes with chopsticks. Then let the noodles chill out for 3-5 minutes.

Next, heat your wok on high heat for about 2 or 3 minutes. Then, add half the oil (1 tablespoon) [corn oil or any other oil with a high smoke point]. Swirl it around the pan and let the oil heat up until it's fully hot/shimmering.

Now add your noodles to the pan.

To get the noodles crispy and golden brown, we need to cook EACH side about 7-10 minutes, occasionally turning the noodles but NOT stirring or breaking up/into the layers (otherwise the much pursued crispiness will not happen). Turning helps ensure that the entire surface of the noodles gets an even crisp (what we're after) because most stoves and pans have uneven heat distribution.

After the bottom appears the right color (7-10 minutes), using your wok skills (or a spatula) flip the noodles.

After flipping, add the final 1 tablespoon of corn oil around the rim of the noodles, so that the bottom side also gets nice and crispy. Turn the noodles occasionally, and after the second side has turned crispy and golden brown, transfer the noodles onto a plate.

Then cook your meats and aromatics, take them out of the wok, after that cook your veggies, add the meat back in with the vegetables and prep your sauce. Finally put the prepped meats, veggies, and sauce mix on top of the plated noodles.

Hope this helps. Sorry if it was too long.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 04:40:29 AM by SaySo »
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 04:39:59 AM »
If you were a Canadian kid in the 80’s, you probably know this

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SaySo

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 04:44:13 AM »
If you were a Canadian kid in the 80’s, you probably know this

Dude, in the US we had Martin Yan (Yan Can Cook) on PBS.

His media personality was an over the top, seriously insensitive caricature.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 04:47:49 AM »

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 07:24:29 AM »
I once cooked some rice noodles with veggies and soy sauce on my wok. Not great but not bad either

The thing is I have those electric stoves so woks and the absence of fire might not be the best combo

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 07:58:51 AM »
My former manager, from China, told me he only woks outside because of the mess and smells. He lives in San Diego so he can do that every day.

Also, Soy Vay Island Teriyaki is a fantastic sauce. Also, anything by house of Tsang is delicious.

All of your floors must be so slippery and your walls must get so grody

Do you wok users just constantly mop your floors?
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

thebacker

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 08:02:52 AM »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 08:40:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All of your floors must be so slippery and your walls must get so grody

Do you wok users just constantly mop your floors?

Yeah, wokking indoors is fucking gross, unfortunately.

I go through a wok phase every 2 years or so... The first time I do it, I always remember why I stopped, but I always think, "well, my kitchens already fucked up, might as well use the wok until I'm totally sick of it, then do a deep clean at the end."

One day, I dream of having one of those jet burners on a patio so that I can wok freely outdoors and just hose down the patio at the end. Because food cooked in a wok is probably my favorite food to cook and eat. It's so simple and so tasty. And it's decidedly fun to fling shit around in a wok and watch it flying in the air.

Also, I used to watch Yan Can Cook religiously after school when I was a kid. It would come on after this furniture repair show which was basically these 2 guys who were the Ben + Jerry of furniture and would fuck with each other and bicker like an old couple while they were reupholstering some weird old chair.

I always say his catch phrase "...and then!" In my mind it's his catch phrase but in reality it is just something he said a lot and I'm probably being super racist by doing it. I also say "...cut it up, cut it up, cut it up..." a lot because I work in an industry where we're always cutting things. The Yan Can Cook Cookbook was the first cookbook I owned as an adult. The dude is a legend.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1473
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 09:21:47 AM »
First of all, thanks for chiming in and no, your responses weren't too long. I guess I need to do a better job of prepping and organizing so I'm not fumbling around in between stuff I'm cooking.

I didn't know Yan was doing a caricature because my mom always dragged me through Chinatown to shop for meats and veggies and he sounded like many of the shop keepers. I, too, enjoyed watching his cooking show for years as a kid.

I'm Filipino so pansit is all the fried noodle that I was familiar with until I decided I wanted to dabble.

Seasoning the wok seemed easy and there are a lot of how to's available, but I always doubted the job I did because I was burning things and stuff stuck to it. I just needed to keep cooking with my wok because it got better with more use.

I should look at making a DIY cooking platform out of concrete that I can put my gas cartridge burner on and get frying outside.

Lastly, the silicone insert in this scrubber makes it much easier to scrub for cleanup.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2022, 09:58:18 AM »
I could never really figure out why my wok skills were sub-par til I started regularly eating in a restaurant where the wok guy is cooking six feet away. Super huge flame blast, large amounts of cold oil (?) thrown in to a hot pan, whole pot gets scrubbed out every 10 minutes. Tough to pull off at home without a dedicated setup.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2022, 12:58:06 PM »
Stephan Yan used to go to my gym….super happy guy, just like the show….still would crack the wok puns well into the late 90’s…..

Not really wok related but I just figured out with stir fry’s…..cook everything first, then get your sauce in the pan on its own to thicken…..then bring everything together…..I’d always just dump my sauce in with the veggies and it would fail. 

tag_king

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 01:31:12 PM »
I have been feeling this guys youtube channel that definitely has some wok recipes. Great for anyone either vegan, veg, or trying to eat less meat: https://www.youtube.com/c/WILYEUNG

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 08:08:45 AM »
Basically prep all your ingredients before cooking and get ready to move quickly once the wok is hot enough.

Kenji is a real treasure in terms of technique and recipes.

He also insists that heat is a critical issue. That's why in Vancouver, CAN, it's common for kitchens to have extra wok rooms with super hot, restaurant-grade burners.

If you can't get enough heat to fry your proteins, Kenji suggests torching it from the top with a blowtorch (works!).

Here's a super easy noodle recipe:

I also love this website The Woks of Life:
www.woksoflife.com

I use a bamboo brush without soap or anything to clean the wok. Then dry it over the burner and rub some oil on it before storing. A good wok will feed you for a long time and if you follow the Woks of Life and Kenji you will have plenty of inspiration. Buy their books if you want to show support. Peace!