Author Topic: Bs Lipslide  (Read 1228 times)

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
Bs Lipslide
« on: May 24, 2022, 01:42:46 AM »
Currently trying to learn bs lipslides but all I have is a pretty high rail. I can bs 5050, front board and bs 180 over the rail, but when I actually try to bs lip, everything seems to go wrong. I often land in a bs smith, pretty much on the wrong side of the rail. I have not managed to land in a position similar to a fs board at all so far.
The obvious answer is just keep trying, as with all other tricks, but I got sent to the ground pretty hard yesterday and there has to be some better way.
I'd be very grateful for any tips on how to make it easier.
Thank you

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Bs Lipslide
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 02:01:50 AM »
Beat me to starting this thread, this is a bucket list trick for me. If I actually get these consistent I think I would finally feel like an average-level skateboarder in my 30s. I only have high flatbars at my local, been trying them on the ledge but the weight distribution during the slide feels very different on a ledge vs rail.

Somehow it feels easier to get up and on a decent height ledge as opposed to a short one.

Going to post up a few of the videos I found helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXKMAuB5eRY
Click baity title but he gives an honest effort at them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVY7mhFAQ88
Swinging the rear arm and shoulder is new insight for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx1m1Z_ZEAo
Goofy sunglasses, good insight on winding the shoulders pre-pop and getting a solid ollie before the rotation.

Keep us posted on your progress, let's get this one cranked out.

Edit: I think the biggest hurdle to the trick is the commitment, I just got comfortable doing BS 50-50s on a taller flatbar and BS Lipslide feels like its within reach. I just need to grow a huge pair of balls to try the first one.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 02:18:44 AM »
Thanks! Gonna watch all of those today.
I feel like I made a lot of negative progress yesterday by finally fully committing and getting destroyed. Now I'm even more scared of it and might also need to try it on ledges. Or maybe I'll learn bs smiths on the rail first and then do some back lips on accident because I suck at them.

The worst thing is I just know I could learn it super quickly on a low rail.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 03:12:57 AM »
Thanks! Gonna watch all of those today.
I feel like I made a lot of negative progress yesterday by finally fully committing and getting destroyed. Now I'm even more scared of it and might also need to try it on ledges. Or maybe I'll learn bs smiths on the rail first and then do some back lips on accident because I suck at them.

The worst thing is I just know I could learn it super quickly on a low rail.

Like Diego Bucchieri says - sometime you gotta slam and taste the pain before you fully commit to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0hTQYLYfU

Getting the twist and lock on a ledge helps, but I believe the weight distribution is different for a rail.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 03:53:46 AM »
I'm trynna learn this trick too rn. If i figure it out I'll say something lol.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 03:15:47 PM »
Solid pop and try to do a tweaked back 180 where your nose dips. This gives you a better chance of clearing the back trucks over the rail. The fact that you are landing in back smith prob means your hesitating a bit when whipping the 90 degree turn (understandable). Can you back tail? I think of the back lip as a back tail where you can be a bit more sloppy with it and overshoot the tail while letting the board dip towards the nose as you land on the middle.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:15:16 PM »
Just started building up to them by Ollie-ing BS over the rail, going at a slight angle is much easier than straight on parallel. Found a lower rail to work on them tomorrow, everyone I've spoken to says it's 100% about committing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 03:30:23 AM »
Solid pop and try to do a tweaked back 180 where your nose dips. This gives you a better chance of clearing the back trucks over the rail. The fact that you are landing in back smith prob means your hesitating a bit when whipping the 90 degree turn (understandable). Can you back tail? I think of the back lip as a back tail where you can be a bit more sloppy with it and overshoot the tail while letting the board dip towards the nose as you land on the middle.
This guy fucks

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 05:22:05 AM »
Damn got inspired by this thread and this trick has always been a personal dream.

I tried a couple just to see if I was getting into them and yeah it works.

Now if someone can borrow me some balls I’ll try and stay on them and sw front boards.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 07:04:19 AM »
Damn got inspired by this thread and this trick has always been a personal dream.

Now if someone can borrow me some balls I’ll try and stay on them and sw front boards.

How did you try them without staying on? I wish I could do that.
Made no progress at all since the first post because I can't find a rail that isn't super tall. I can get into bs lips on ledges but sliding and getting out seems even worse than on a rail. Gonna have to build a small rail, but I've been saying that for such a long time and it never happens.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 07:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Made no progress at all since the first post because I can't find a rail that isn't super tall. I can get into bs lips on ledges but sliding and getting out seems even worse than on a rail. Gonna have to build a small rail, but I've been saying that for such a long time and it never happens.

I just pop it, turn and 1 second before the board touches the rail I jump off with one foot. It’s a bit dodgy. It’s also silly cos I can front board well so it shouldn’t be that much of a problem.
I just wasn’t expecting to be doing the turn correctly so I got stoked to get above the rail everytime.

This stupid approach doesn’t work for sw front boards.. it’s shin galore there hahah.

Btw what do you mean by tall / short flatbar? As in height. Mine is like 30cm tall (around 1 foot I guess) but I think it’s ok to learn things on.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 09:02:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just pop it, turn and 1 second before the board touches the rail I jump off with one foot. It’s a bit dodgy. It’s also silly cos I can front board well so it shouldn’t be that much of a problem.
I just wasn’t expecting to be doing the turn correctly so I got stoked to get above the rail everytime.

This stupid approach doesn’t work for sw front boards.. it’s shin galore there hahah.

Btw what do you mean by tall / short flatbar? As in height. Mine is like 30cm tall (around 1 foot I guess) but I think it’s ok to learn things on.

Kind of a crazy approach but amazing if it works. Gonna try if it works for me too. My local flatbar is 35cm high, which is totally fine and I can easily bs 180 over it, but I'm just so damn scared of bs lips that I can't even bring myself to try it again on this height. I feel like anything could happen once I'm on there with not enough control.
I think 20-25cm would be a fun height for a little rail to learn all kinds of spooky tricks on.

Oh and I forgot I learned nollie bs lips, pretty easy but also uncomfortable and I don't feel like they help me get normal bs lips at all.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
I finally got them. My problem was that I was jumping way too high. I didn't need a lower rail, I just had to stop acting like it's super high. Only by looking at the footage of me trying it did I realize that I ollie like 20cm higher than the rail, which made it so much harder so land right. I always felt like I'm ollieing just high enough not to clip, but that was wrong.

So I just chilled a bit more, ollied lower and softly laid the board onto the rail. At this moment it clicked and was really easy.