Author Topic: Simple Shoes  (Read 7227 times)

topfrog10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Simple Shoes
« on: May 26, 2022, 05:52:05 PM »
Anyone know anything about this brand? I've been seeing them on IG and it looks like they're a skate shoe of some type but I can't find any info on them on here or anywhere else.

https://simpleshoes.com/

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Simple Shoes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 06:00:26 PM »
Idk if they still exist. If you order post a review. I was a off season discount Airwalk kid in 91 so I never got to try them.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 07:04:55 PM »
They've been around forever. Had a skate team in the 90s. Gonz wore them at one point IIRC.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 07:10:47 PM »
Some of the longest-lasting shoes I ever had, from back in the day.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 07:55:54 PM »
I loved those things in the 90’s. Comfortable and lasted forever

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 08:08:41 PM »
from what i gather, they seem to be taking a more "nostalgia casual" shoe approach than skating, but there's no rule that says you can't skate a non-skate shoe

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 09:50:39 PM »
One of the most durable pair of skate shoes I ever had was Simple. The soles were made from re-ground car tires. This was probably around 1994/95.

Simple were one of the first eco-focussed shoes before most companies engaged in green-washing.

They also used to come with a zine called the Moonlight Chronicles. I met the guy who did that zine at zine fair. Anyway... nostalgia...

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 10:04:21 PM »
I loved Simple back in the day. Catch me back in 8th grade in pair of green OG’s with the kickball sole, some size 40 brown cords, with a rugby shirt and a bucket hat lookin Swayze af.
I could’ve sworn there was ad of SAD doing a front nose looking hella G, but couldn’t find it. I did find this one of Gonz, though.

https://149578918.v2.pressablecdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/simple-shoes-mark-gonzales-1994.jpg

truthislie

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 10:44:02 PM »
Proper Larry D vibe, isn’t it?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 10:48:18 PM »
Yup….they are best worth with glasses…..see Larry D or Justin Girard….

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 01:20:55 AM »
They were ubiquitous on the Central Coast in the early to mid 90s. Along with that era's Doc Marten boom. And Sublime being the incessant BGM at house and beach bonfire keg parties.

Were always a bit too surfer-brah vibe for me, personally though.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »
They were pretty sturdy shoes back in the day. Gonz and SAD made them legit. I did notice more non-skaters wore them than skaters did, probably because they were pretty much a mall shoe. I always liked them and did have a pair of the Simple Bam Bam’s that I got on sale. They were the only shoe that someone has ever flat out commented to me were ugly.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 09:46:31 AM »

topfrog10

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 12:54:46 PM »
Idk if they still exist. If you order post a review. I was a off season discount Airwalk kid in 91 so I never got to try them.
i might try a pair out because they're still up and running, will definitely report back if i do. i had been seeing them around instagram a while but honestly didn't realize they were a skate shoe until they did a video with a ccs rider. 85/95 bucks is kinda steep for em tho, but that's a lot of shoes nowadays.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 12:56:44 PM »
I promised myself if they ever get stocked somewhere in nyc I'll go try them on. My ex's dad has worn them on and off for like 3 decades
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 01:06:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i might try a pair out because they're still up and running, will definitely report back if i do. i had been seeing them around instagram a while but honestly didn't realize they were a skate shoe until they did a video with a ccs rider. 85/95 bucks is kinda steep for em tho, but that's a lot of shoes nowadays.

i poked around their weirdly organized site and for anyone thinking of buying, the OS and OS standard issue have a few differences other than the $5 difference, mainly that the standard issue has removable insoles vs the OS has "Ubersquish insoles – a recycled PU foam". i didn't even see the OS the first time i clicked because i didn't scroll past the clogs lol

OS - https://simpleshoes.com/collections/shoes/products/os-suede?variant=39356268249146

OS Standard Issue - https://simpleshoes.com/collections/shoes/products/os-standard-issue-suede?variant=39507204472890
https://simpleshoes.com/collections/shoes/products/os-standard-issue-suede?variant=39507204472890

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 04:40:14 PM »
They were ubiquitous on the Central Coast in the early to mid 90s. Along with that era's Doc Marten boom. And Sublime being the incessant BGM at house and beach bonfire keg parties.

Can confirm. From the Central Coast. Had a pair in elementary
The chillest1

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 08:12:23 PM »

This makes me want some…Gonz looking so sick. Pic and Gonz making that look like a switch front heel.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 10:45:07 PM »
Random side note: That "Dweeb" model looks strikingly similar to Spanky G6 he dropped with Emerica a couple years ago. More stitching (deco or functional) and a different heel panel counter, but overall they feel similar!

Spanky G6 for reference:
Super Champion Fun Zone

SaySo

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 06:47:42 AM »
One of the most durable pair of skate shoes I ever had was Simple. The soles were made from re-ground car tires. This was probably around 1994/95.

Simple were one of the first eco-focussed shoes before most companies engaged in green-washing.

They also used to come with a zine called the Moonlight Chronicles. I met the guy who did that zine at zine fair. Anyway... nostalgia...

Yeah, if I recall correctly, they had some origin story that involved a VW bus or something? I might be mixing that up with the Odwalla juice origin story though...

They definitely were the early adopters of the "real green-y" psychographic. I think their timing was a bit too early though. People and companies were still having difficulty separating that vibe from the Grateful Dead following patchouli and B/O smelling trustafarian swamp trogs. It was before the Madison Ave marketing firm focus groups jumped on the bandwagon.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 06:53:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can confirm. From the Central Coast. Had a pair in elementary

Hahaha. If you don't mind me asking, Turdy, whereabouts on the Central Coast are/were you from?

I was in SLO from the early to late 90s, and I blame Central Coast Surf (CCS) [when it was still on Higuera] for the proliferation of Simple and other brands into Chad and Karens' repertoires.

SaySo

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 06:58:51 AM »
In no way does my past vitriol of Simple reflect upon their durability or skate-ability.

Just wasn't my bag. From all accounts, then, and now, they put out some decent product.

And I honestly can't hate on a brand like that for taking the mall shop chain money when it came along; they never fronted that they were a "core" brand.

At this point in life, it's all good. Enough serious things to be worried about that a brand rising from the ashes, or coming back from the shadows, is the least of our woes.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 09:19:00 AM »
one of my fav skate shoe back in 1995..very durable.. grippy dark red outsole..the suede holds up pretty well too.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 10:00:40 AM »
well if anyone still has any money left and interest, 25% off with SIMPLE25 this weekend

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -398
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 10:36:59 AM »
I purchased some in about ‘95. Forgot about them. Just last year I was in between shoes and saw the same Gonz ad as above. I remembered them and grabbed them out of storage and skated them for about two weeks…even with the 25 years in box: that kickball sole was awesome…suede was really durable…boardfeel was good- they only issue is the o.g.s have canvas areas in exactly the same places I seem to make the most contact with the board so they ripped in those spots pretty quickly. Other than that it was on par with any ‘good’ skateshoe I’ve tried.

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Rep: -398
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 01:41:56 PM »
Julien Stranger used to skate for Simple also.

We actually looked into carrying Simple at our skateshop last year even though we know they probably wouldn't sell. Would still be sick to have them. Didn't end up happening though.

I did recently get hooked up with a half price code but haven't ordered any yet. My wife would probably divorce me for wearing the same shoes as Larry David, but when I look at them all I see is old 411 footage of Gonz, SAD, etc.

Definitely need to order a pair.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2022, 07:38:42 AM »
well if anyone still has any money left and interest, 25% off with SIMPLE25 this weekend

dang..i need to get me some..

iw0

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
just found this and it's recent, neat

topfrog10

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2022, 11:33:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i ended up buying a pair, the os in brown not the standard issue, so i'm hoping they've got enough of a loosely glued insole i can get them out n replace with more structured ones if needed, but i will definitely report back when ive got em.