Author Topic: Simple Shoes  (Read 7224 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
Re: Simple Shoes
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2022, 02:01:07 PM »
just found this and it's recent, neat

Both the simple shoes in this video looked nice. That skater is also dope.

YBOS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2022, 06:08:18 PM »
The simplicity, cuts, and colors remind me of a 90's version of Last Resorts. I like them, but they definitely need to be worn with bigger pants than the dude in the ccs video was wearing.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »
I remember seeing these at Marshalls when I was a kid. Wanted air walks but my mom would only buy me Caldor off brands.  she offered to get me a pair of these once and I declined. already got capped on enough for the fake air walks
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2022, 10:18:40 PM »
Bought a pair of them back in 94-95 timeframe from ccs. I was 10 or 11. I fucking loved them. Might have actually bought a second pair when the first died, but I don’t recall for sure. I should probably get a pair again for the sake of nostalgia.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2022, 10:44:56 PM »
Carl Shipman rode for them too. What a sick team!

Also grew up on the central coast, SLO to be exact, and definitely had a pair of these at one point. Very long lasting sole.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2022, 10:55:24 PM »
If we're talking about shoes from that era with clean lines, I really wish they'd bring these back:

"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2022, 11:01:28 PM »
NGL, the soles of Simples always remind me of:

"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2022, 11:35:10 PM »
Julien Stranger used to skate for Simple also.

We actually looked into carrying Simple at our skateshop last year even though we know they probably wouldn't sell. Would still be sick to have them. Didn't end up happening though.

I did recently get hooked up with a half price code but haven't ordered any yet. My wife would probably divorce me for wearing the same shoes as Larry David, but when I look at them all I see is old 411 footage of Gonz, SAD, etc.

Definitely need to order a pair.
I was hoping you were gonna comment just Julien Stranger. If you didn't, I was gonna have to do it since no one had brought him up yet. The frontside flip at what I'm guessing is Benicia is a classic ad though.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2022, 11:50:13 PM »
If we're talking about shoes from that era with clean lines, I really wish they'd bring these back:

GOAT shoes!
Having said that, I feel LRAB is pretty close to this vibe, maybe with their upcoming cupsole, they can give the tongue a bit more puff and get it closer to what dukes was producing.
Quality wise, they feel on par with what dukes was doing at the time

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2022, 12:34:57 AM »
I went into the shop to buy Airwalk Ones if I remember correctly, but when I inquired about them, the young salesman, Roger Bagley, told me, "We're not going to be carrying these anymore, they're leaving skateboarding, so they're not cool anymore, you should try these, they're sick." which is when he pointed me in the direction of the Simples with the white toe-cap. My mom said, "those are cool, you should get them" which I agreed with and walked out with a pair on my feet.

I think I had 3 more pairs successively until too many of my friends bought them and also my parents' adult friend bought a pair (gasp!) which to a kid is the uncoolest thing possible.

They were great shoes and had a very unique position in skating. Kinda nerdy but subversive at the same time.

It's true, though, they look best with ultra wide cut-off cords, or even jeans if you can pull it off, because otherwise you can look like an IT geek or a mormon or something.

dunc

• Rep: 51
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2022, 01:50:24 AM »
Gershon rode them for some time as well. Tempted to get a pair. Been eying them up for 30 years. 😄
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2022, 06:33:48 AM »
I could pick a pair up for 39 euro's a few years ago (they just came out again) and I'm still hitting myself in the head for it :(

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2022, 08:15:52 AM »

Didn’t DC reissue these or another pair recently?

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2022, 08:20:45 AM »
I went into the shop to buy Airwalk Ones if I remember correctly, but when I inquired about them, the young salesman, Roger Bagley, told me, "We're not going to be carrying these anymore, they're leaving skateboarding, so they're not cool anymore, you should try these, they're sick." which is when he pointed me in the direction of the Simples with the white toe-cap. My mom said, "those are cool, you should get them" which I agreed with and walked out with a pair on my feet.

I think I had 3 more pairs successively until too many of my friends bought them and also my parents' adult friend bought a pair (gasp!) which to a kid is the uncoolest thing possible.

They were great shoes and had a very unique position in skating. Kinda nerdy but subversive at the same time.

It's true, though, they look best with ultra wide cut-off cords, or even jeans if you can pull it off, because otherwise you can look like an IT geek or a mormon or something.
Forgot about the ones with the white leather toe cap. They also had a pair that were real similar to Airwalk ones. I remember having a pair that were gray and burgundy with a gum sole that I really loved.
The Gadzooks at Cherryvale would always have the previous season on heavy discount.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2022, 08:32:55 AM »
Who actually was on the team again beside Gonz and Julian? I vaguely remember a black and white Gonz ad

YeoWhattup

• Rep: 22
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2022, 05:35:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Julien Stranger used to skate for Simple also.

We actually looked into carrying Simple at our skateshop last year even though we know they probably wouldn't sell. Would still be sick to have them. Didn't end up happening though.

I did recently get hooked up with a half price code but haven't ordered any yet. My wife would probably divorce me for wearing the same shoes as Larry David, but when I look at them all I see is old 411 footage of Gonz, SAD, etc.

Definitely need to order a pair.
[close]
I was hoping you were gonna comment just Julien Stranger. If you didn't, I was gonna have to do it since no one had brought him up yet. The frontside flip at what I'm guessing is Benicia is a classic ad though.

If u wanna get rid of that code lmk

SaySo

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2022, 07:17:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did they? If they did, I totally slept on them. I know they reissued the Danny Way 1's which kinda look similar. Or maybe they never made it to Japan?

@Gray Imp Sausage Metal did you catch wind of anything about this?

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2022, 09:59:31 PM »
Carl Shipman rode for them too. What a sick team!

Also grew up on the central coast, SLO to be exact, and definitely had a pair of these at one point. Very long lasting sole.

YES! These ones are the ones I had! They had the white toe cap and looked like a beefed up suede version of what a Chuck Taylor would want to be for a skate shoe, but with a cupsole. I remember them being called the Simple Sneaker.

I’d do almost anything to skate that particular model again! Last time I checked they appeared to have discontinued that shoe, which is a bummer.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2022, 11:09:14 AM »
Who actually was on the team again beside Gonz and Julian? I vaguely remember a black and white Gonz ad

Motherfuckin SAD was on Simple!!!

Expand Quote

[close]

Dukes was an offshoot of Duffs through World so DC definitely wouldn't have reissued these. SaySo is probably right and you're thinking of the Danny Way 1, but even that was like 4 years or so ago.

Don't think the original Jeremy Wray Dukes have ever been reissued. I wish they would because that shoe still looks amazing and the shape looks like it would be very current for skating today which is rare for older shoes.

I did find an instagram account awhile ago that seems to be Jeremy Wray saying he's going to bring back Dukes, but the last post was 21 weeks ago so I wouldn't hold my breath.

"You’ve all been so patient in waiting for the real Dukes Shoes to make a triumphant return. It may still take some time to get a pair on your feet, but rest assured, I will be taking the necessary steps to do just that. Stay tuned along our journey and enjoy a few images from our storied past while you wait. Dukes Shoes. Since Yesterday! 🔹🔹🔹 - Jeremy Wray"

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2022, 12:32:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Dukes was an offshoot of Duffs through World so DC definitely wouldn't have reissued these. SaySo is probably right and you're thinking of the Danny Way 1, but even that was like 4 years or so ago.

Don't think the original Jeremy Wray Dukes have ever been reissued. I wish they would because that shoe still looks amazing and the shape looks like it would be very current for skating today which is rare for older shoes.

I did find an instagram account awhile ago that seems to be Jeremy Wray saying he's going to bring back Dukes, but the last post was 21 weeks ago so I wouldn't hold my breath.

"You’ve all been so patient in waiting for the real Dukes Shoes to make a triumphant return. It may still take some time to get a pair on your feet, but rest assured, I will be taking the necessary steps to do just that. Stay tuned along our journey and enjoy a few images from our storied past while you wait. Dukes Shoes. Since Yesterday! 🔹🔹🔹 - Jeremy Wray"
That’s exactly the shoe I was thinking of. It’s been a few years (like you said), I don’t really pay that much attention to DC, and I’m easily confused.
Also.  It’s been a VERY long time, but I thought Dukes was a precursor or at least affiliated with DC.
Weird to think that the 90’s was 30 years ago.

SaySo

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2022, 11:47:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
That’s exactly the shoe I was thinking of. It’s been a few years (like you said), I don’t really pay that much attention to DC, and I’m easily confused.
Also.  It’s been a VERY long time, but I thought Dukes was a precursor or at least affiliated with DC.
Weird to think that the 90’s was 30 years ago.
It's understandable to get things from that era mixed up. A LOT of time has passed since then, there were quite a few companies coming out of SoCal that had a "D" in their names, and many of the riders jumped ship from one sponsor to another or had teammates from one sponsor riding for another brand. I mean, Jeremy Wray was on Droors Clothing as was Danny Way (in addition to a lot of other skaters). And both were on Plan B.

But IIRC, DC started before Duffs and subsequently, Dukes. Affiliation was by six degrees of Rodney Mullen or Rocco.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2022, 05:30:41 AM »
Yes, you are mainly right BUT duffs (and subsequently dukes) was around way before DC.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2022, 07:20:00 AM »

I never knew Bitch had other team riders besides Alphonso Rawls and Steven Cales.

I also don’t think Julien ever had an ad for Simple. I know SAD did.

Julien was probably just wearing them that day, most skaters didn’t have shoe sponsors and wearing certain shoes in photos didn’t necessarily mean you rode for the brand.

Aside from 60/40, Jay Stephens/SAD always had terrible sponsors. He would’ve fit on World or Menace easily.

Simples were pretty much Bobo’s in the skate shoe world back then, just like most Airwalks were. Mostly non-skaters wore them to be “different”.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SaySo

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2022, 07:37:11 AM »
Yes, you are mainly right BUT duffs (and subsequently dukes) was around way before DC.

Hahaha, you may be right. As has been mentioned, a lot of sand has fallen in the hourglass since then.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2022, 12:56:21 PM »
Aside from 60/40, Jay Stephens/SAD always had terrible sponsors. He would’ve fit on World or Menace easily.

Straight up SAD is one of the best skaters of all time. My understanding is that his erratic behaviour is what kept him from getting on the cool companies like Menace or Chocolate. I used to think how bad could the dude be, like he couldn't be worse than Sheffey, right? Now I follow him on instagram and I get it. Dude is out of his mind, I love it. One of my all time favourite skaters.

First time I ever went to LA in 2002, within the first few days my friend took me to this semi-famous ledge spot and SAD was over by the swing set doing push ups with no shirt on, holding his towel in his hand. He did not have a skateboard.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2022, 03:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahaha, you may be right. As has been mentioned, a lot of sand has fallen in the hourglass since then.
okay I did some digging and I may have overshot on the “way before”. Duffs was 93 and DC was 94; so much changed in a year in skating back then so it seemed to feel like longer…

TheLowerBack

• GTU/FWD
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2022, 03:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Straight up SAD is one of the best skaters of all time. My understanding is that his erratic behaviour is what kept him from getting on the cool companies like Menace or Chocolate. I used to think how bad could the dude be, like he couldn't be worse than Sheffey, right? Now I follow him on instagram and I get it. Dude is out of his mind, I love it. One of my all time favourite skaters.

First time I ever went to LA in 2002, within the first few days my friend took me to this semi-famous ledge spot and SAD was over by the swing set doing push ups with no shirt on, holding his towel in his hand. He did not have a skateboard.
This is awesome. What’s his IG?

homicidalpsychojunglecat

• Rep: 15
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2022, 04:35:37 PM »
Random side note: That "Dweeb" model looks strikingly similar to Spanky G6 he dropped with Emerica a couple years ago. More stitching (deco or functional) and a different heel panel counter, but overall they feel similar!

Spanky G6 for reference:

That toecap stitching on the Dweeb looks like it was on Gilbert Crocketts references for his pro 2. I'd buy a pair!

Watson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2022, 10:53:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This is awesome. What’s his IG?

https://www.instagram.com/sadmaanog1/

Easily one of my favourite instagram accounts. The real juice is in the stories where he's always getting high as fuck and cooking fucked up looking meals calling himself Chef F+. One time he was driving around faded as hell at like 4:00 in the morning and ended up ordering fast food at a drive through leaned back through his back window because his front window doesn't roll down. It's fucking gold.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2022, 01:41:58 PM »
So anyone end up copping the Simple skate shoes? What’s the review? Skate good? Would recommend?