Author Topic: Simple Shoes  (Read 7181 times)

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
Re: Simple Shoes
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2022, 02:15:21 PM »
So anyone end up copping the Simple skate shoes? What’s the review? Skate good? Would recommend?

i've been skating a pair of OS's since about may/june, occasionally i'll skate in another shoe but they've been my main choice since then. here's a list of take-aways so i don't wall of text it. note: i only 'skate hard' maybe 12hrs total a week and cruise to conrner stores/mailboxes otherwise, so i'm not putting these through the harshest conditions -

- if you have wide feet or want some more room in your shoe, these are worth looking into
- they hold up pretty well, i'm just now getting into 'serious wear' on the sole but to be fair i haven't been on any brand new grip with them. i've had a few times recently where i feel like dust build up on the deck/soles made it a bit slippery but could also feel connected to the board else wise so idk what was going on there
- sole is grippy and solid when new, and breaks in nice to a good amount of flexibility without being floppy
- board feel is similar to 1010's in my opinion, without the heel-toe drop that the 1010 has if that makes sense, so maybe a bit less than the 1010 in the toe/forefoot but still fine
- insole/cushioning is great, landings feel good not that i'm jumping off anything substantial
- superglue is your friend, as with all skate shoes i feel
- long & fat laces, might irritate people if you don't want to double knot or whatever. simple (heh) fix though
- they seem to hold their shape and haven't bagged out which has been nice, and the heel area feels secure.
- tongue is thick but solid, so you feel locked in and it doesn't squish into nothing
- people say they look like bowling shoes often
- haven't gotten any case of swamp foot so i call that a win
- larry david

overall, it's a wide(r) toe-box shoe option that's totally viable for skating. ymmv, they won't change your life or make you pro overnight, but if you like their look and there's a sale (or late night splurge) give em a shot.

also i kind of want to try the more expensive ones to see if there's any difference, but the OS's have been just fine and feel 'premium' already

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2022, 03:16:11 PM »
Expand Quote
So anyone end up copping the Simple skate shoes? What’s the review? Skate good? Would recommend?
[close]

i've been skating a pair of OS's since about may/june, occasionally i'll skate in another shoe but they've been my main choice since then. here's a list of take-aways so i don't wall of text it. note: i only 'skate hard' maybe 12hrs total a week and cruise to conrner stores/mailboxes otherwise, so i'm not putting these through the harshest conditions -

- if you have wide feet or want some more room in your shoe, these are worth looking into
- they hold up pretty well, i'm just now getting into 'serious wear' on the sole but to be fair i haven't been on any brand new grip with them. i've had a few times recently where i feel like dust build up on the deck/soles made it a bit slippery but could also feel connected to the board else wise so idk what was going on there
- sole is grippy and solid when new, and breaks in nice to a good amount of flexibility without being floppy
- board feel is similar to 1010's in my opinion, without the heel-toe drop that the 1010 has if that makes sense, so maybe a bit less than the 1010 in the toe/forefoot but still fine
- insole/cushioning is great, landings feel good not that i'm jumping off anything substantial
- long & fat laces, might irritate people if you don't want to double knot or whatever. simple (heh) fix though
- they seem to hold their shape and haven't bagged out which has been nice, and the heel area feels secure.
- tongue is thick but solid, so you feel locked in and it doesn't squish into nothing
- larry david

overall, it's a wide(r) toe-box shoe option that's totally viable for skating. ymmv, they won't change your life or make you pro overnight, but if you like their look and there's a sale (or late night splurge) give em a shot.

also i kind of want to try the more expensive ones to see if there's any difference, but the OS's have been just fine and feel 'premium' already

Nice one, thank you. Yeah, if I see a crazy sale I may end up grabbing a pair. Definitely curious, but not $90 curious

mr_moser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2022, 03:51:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

- larry david

I agree with the above. I’m currently skating a pair of the Retro 91 mids (the Retro 91’s are the model with the shell toe), and they skate well. I skated in the lows of this model a few months back, too, so I’m a repeat customer. They’re a wider shoe, which I like, especially since I find a lot of vulc shoes to be narrow. The insoles are the “ubersquish,” or something like that, which I actually like quite a bit. The only thing about them is the flick isn’t the best, but I’m 44 and don’t do a lot of flip tricks these days. They’re supportive, the suede is good quality, and the soles grip well. Overall, as good as many skate shoes out there. If you can embrace their ugliness—and they are ugly—they’re a durable, comfortable skate shoe.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2022, 07:55:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

- larry david

[close]

Nice one, thank you. Yeah, if I see a crazy sale I may end up grabbing a pair. Definitely curious, but not $90 curious

IIRC I saw them on sale on the CCS site.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2022, 09:27:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

- larry david

[close]

[close]

IIRC I saw them on sale on the CCS site.

Looks like they have the Suede S1 which actually isn't half bad looking and the Leather OS. I *think* I'll wait for the Suede OS to go on sale somewhere, get the real deal bowling shoe jawns

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2022, 10:24:38 AM »
NGL, the soles of Simples always remind me of:

Bombardment!
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »

pretty happy with these, especially for $20. interested to see how they skate.

Cross post from other thread. Pretty into these, the toe cap is a *little* big and round for me, but I think once they get a bit dirty/skated it'll look a bit better. Pretty comfortable right away

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2022, 04:56:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cross post from other thread. Pretty into these, the toe cap is a *little* big and round for me, but I think once they get a bit dirty/skated it'll look a bit better. Pretty comfortable right away

damn those look better on foot than in the product shots, good sale buy for sure

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2022, 07:29:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Follow up after a couple of sessions: been wearing them non-stop since I got them, they’re crazy comfortable. The insole feels great and super padded but they don’t feel too heavy.

HOWEVER, at least for me, they don’t work for skating. There’s too much cushion and I can’t feel my board. Coming from primarily vans or LRABs, this feels like switching to a cupsole. I’m sure I’d get used to them eventually but they’ve been feeling so good at work I’m just going to keep them as chillers.

I will say, the toe cap seems crazy durable. I didn’t skate them a ton but I was flicking kickflips for an hour or so (pretty unsuccessfully) and there’s barely any flick marks on the toe.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2022, 08:33:50 AM »
I'm wanting to order but I just can't afford to buy replacement shoes for the stupid too small slip.

I'm a fucking bum and I don't deserve nice things.

My main guitar is fucking broken too.

I'ma die silently with bad feets
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2023, 08:31:37 AM »

J bought these excited to try them for skating - probably gunna j walk in them for a few weeks first tho .
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2023, 07:35:04 AM »
how do the S1 fit? TTS, small, large?

I had the old toe cap ones back in the day, the cap was leather and the shoe was heavy but I still liked it.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2023, 08:44:19 AM »
how do the S1 fit? TTS, small, large?

I had the old toe cap ones back in the day, the cap was leather and the shoe was heavy but I still liked it.

I have the Canvas S1 and for me they run large. I wear a 13 in Vans or Nike, but sized down to 12 for Simple.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2023, 01:16:05 PM »
Thanks. I'm a 10 in vans, but thinking of trying the canvas s1 in 9.5

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2023, 01:27:20 PM »

Yeah I would say that's safe. They don't do half sizes between 12 and 13. They're great chillers and I got them on sale dirt cheap, I've enjoyed them.

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2023, 05:05:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah I would say that's safe. They don't do half sizes between 12 and 13. They're great chillers and I got them on sale dirt cheap, I've enjoyed them.
thanks again, I went with the 9.5 for only $21. Couldn't pass it up.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2023, 07:54:51 AM »
I've seen the ads on social media and was surprised this company was back.

My brother had a pair in the 90s. The main downside was that the fabric portion on their basic lowtop shoe got shredded badly. It would make more sense to make that part more durable material IMHO.

RE: Dukes, never had a pair back then but would probably give them a chance if they came back.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2023, 08:47:40 AM »
Dukes were out of the World/Duffs camp and had way more clout than Simples.

Simples were not well respected back then.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2023, 11:39:52 PM »
the OS Standard has suedes replacing the fabric ankle part.

blahblah999

• Rep: 20
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2023, 05:22:10 AM »
Dukes were out of the World/Duffs camp and had way more clout than Simples.

Simples were not well respected back then.

Sure, I remember they were sold at regional mall stores that were stocking things like Jncos and Stussy T-shirts, with a small amount of skate stuff.

Trying to walk that line between a fashion brand and a skate brand is what killed Airwalk, which did the same thing around the time. The only brand that managed to do it over the long term was obviously Vans.

Even back then the local skate shop did not stock Vans except for Half Cabs.

switchfakie

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2023, 04:53:38 PM »
their slip ons are pretty good but the sizing kinda sucks

i bought them 0.5 size down (i have a wide food) and it feels pretty good

the shoe is ever so slightly spacious considering i have a wide food, so i'd suggest people with slim feet should buy a full size down

UNLESS you switch out the soles for a thicker sole. The sole in this shoe is ultra flat - so if you replace it with a thick heel sole, sizing 0.5 should be just fine

i bought these shoes on a whim, the packaging is super premium and overall a good ass shoe (even though all slip ons look similar, this one looked better)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2023, 11:13:26 PM »
I’m just here for the dukes banter, one of my fav skate shoes ever!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year