Author Topic: New Mini Logo Trucks Design?  (Read 10606 times)

liahoop9595

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
New Mini Logo Trucks Design?
« on: May 27, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
Zach Doeling skating some new trucks that look like their backwards? Pause at 16:37 for a good look. Wild...

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
Re: New Mini Logo Trucks Design?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 01:47:16 PM »
and to save everyone some time and an algorithm hit on this one

twic3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 01:54:46 PM »
Waiting for the slap engineers to chime in

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 02:37:59 PM »
Variflex Connection trucks in the early 80s were similar.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 02:40:34 PM »

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »
So like a standard truck and a longboard trunk got drunk and had a baby?
With most skate gear “innovations” I’m curious to see how this pans out, but honestly don’t see these going anywhere.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »

this is an RKP(reverse kingpin) design, popular in longboarding. by placing the pivot and kingpin at a right angle it eliminates the weird stress that skate trucks get, as well as gives the truck a more linear turn, instead of a divey turn.

I believe these are an Aera truck(https://aeratrucks.com/skateboard-trucks/trucks), and not Mini Logo.

More info here, long read but interesting: https://changingangles.com/2021/05/05/tkp-trucks-history-and-quirks/

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 02:47:58 PM »

This is wild

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 04:48:31 PM »
Hmmm. First new wheels out of Powell that seem to be game-changers, and now a new truck design?

Both using tech taken from downhilling?

Which makes sense. Downhilling is the only form of skating where the technology has been progressing. Everyone trying to get an edge in speed has resulted in tons of variety and innovation, unlike street skating which has had little change, other than small changes in truck
and wheels .

I’ve ridden downhill a bit, and am curious how these trucks turn. Downhill trucks have a lower angle, so the go ‘inward’ more than ‘up and down’, resulting in less wheel bite.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »
Hmmm. First new wheels out of Powell that seem to be game-changers, and now a new truck design?

Which makes sense. Downhilling is the only form of skating where the technology has been progressing. Everyone trying to get an edge in speed has resulted in tons of variety and innovation, unlike street skating which has had little change, other than small changes in truck
and wheels .

I’ve ridden downhill a bit, and am curious how these trucks turn. Downhill trucks have a lower angle, so the go ‘inward’ more than ‘up and down’, resulting in less wheel bite.

What wheels are you referring to?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2022, 06:17:58 PM »
They do look pretty wild but honestly I'd give them a shot if they weren't crazy expensive

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2022, 06:56:08 PM »
Expand Quote

and wheels .

[close]

What wheels are you referring to?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=82118.msg3781721#msg3781721

Y'all need to start using the search function

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 454
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »
So that’s what the hole in the Krux hanger is for…

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2022, 07:03:42 PM »
So that’s what the hole in the Krux hanger is for…

and here i was banking on krux hole flair/charms as the upcoming 2022 trend of the year

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2022, 08:04:46 PM »
They do look pretty wild but honestly I'd give them a shot if they weren't crazy expensive

I might give them a shot even if they are a bit more.
Can you imagine deep carves AND zero kingpin catch on smiths?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2022, 11:25:27 PM »
I know it would be a complete re-engineer but how about a rollerball where the kingpin nut is….the k-roller truck… it would be insane…..

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2022, 12:05:35 AM »
Just so everyone knows, the trucks in question on Zach's deck are NOT Mini Logo. They wouldn't touch this design with a ten foot pole.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2022, 12:50:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is an RKP(reverse kingpin) design, popular in longboarding. by placing the pivot and kingpin at a right angle it eliminates the weird stress that skate trucks get, as well as gives the truck a more linear turn, instead of a divey turn.

I believe these are an Aera truck(https://aeratrucks.com/skateboard-trucks/trucks), and not Mini Logo.

More info here, long read but interesting: https://changingangles.com/2021/05/05/tkp-trucks-history-and-quirks/

These are definitely not the trucks you linked to, the baseplate and hanger are totally different. Maybe a prototype or something else by the same company, but it's definitely not something I've seen before and I've seen those aeras.

Honestly the first thing that came to mind when I saw them was a backwards Theeve Ti-Hanger.  I really wouldn't be surprised if they're something some engineering student came up with and he's skating so he can make a YouTube video about though.

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2022, 12:59:55 AM »

These are definitely not the trucks you linked to, the baseplate and hanger are totally different. Maybe a prototype or something else by the same company, but it's definitely not something I've seen before and I've seen those aeras.

Honestly the first thing that came to mind when I saw them was a backwards Theeve Ti-Hanger.  I really wouldn't be surprised if they're something some engineering student came up with and he's skating so he can make a YouTube video about though.

sorry, i thought it was implied these are prototypes. was just linking aera for those unfamiliar. they are distributed through powell

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2022, 07:27:30 AM »
SkateOne (Powell / Bones / Mini Logo / Aera) have been working on trucks for years. I think I had a couple email exchanges with Kam (their product guy) about 5 years ago where he mentioned them.   How they end up branding any final truck would depend on how it fits with the existing branding/expectations.  As an example - with the new wheels, they are marketing the 95a and up as Bones and the 93a and down as Powell.   Same line of wheels, but different branding based on expectations of consumers.

As such, no way would these be Mini Logo.  Mini Logo is the pricepoint brand.

Aera exists, already has RKP trucks, and an expectation that they are spendy as fuck.  But no street cred.  So, what is SkateOne to do?   Market these as Aera or make a new brand?

He has also been skating a prototype standard kingpin truck in some of the videos (attached below). Then in others, he is skating Thunder, and sometimes Indy.

SkateOne takes years to develop shit.  The new prototype wheels have been in development for 10 years.  I first heard of them about 4 years ago.  They still aren't to market.

I would expect that if these trucks do come out they won't be Mini Logo, and they will work well, and they won't be all that commercially successful.   Mini Logo trucks work well. How often do you see them in the wild?  How often do you see them in the wild on someone's board who is over 10 years old?   

SkateOne struggles with trucks and how to brand them to the skate community.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 08:24:33 AM by backinaction »

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2022, 07:35:24 AM »
LET THE MADNESS BEGIN! continue

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2022, 08:05:01 AM »
Are you trying to tell me && was ENGINEERED?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2022, 09:09:47 AM »
SkateOne (Powell / Bones / Mini Logo / Aera) have been working on trucks for years. I think I had a couple email exchanges with Kam (their product guy) about 5 years ago where he mentioned them.   How they end up branding any final truck would depend on how it fits with the existing branding/expectations.  As an example - with the new wheels, they are marketing the 95a and up as Bones and the 93a and down as Powell.   Same line of wheels, but different branding based on expectations of consumers.

Aera exists, already has RKP trucks, and an expectation that they are spendy as fuck.  But no street cred.  So, what is SkateOne to do?   Market these as Aera or make a new brand?

He has also been skating a prototype standard kingpin truck in some of the videos (attached below). Then in others, he is skating Thunder, and sometimes Indy.

SkateOne takes years to develop shit.  The new prototype wheels have been in development for 10 years.  I first heard of them about 4 years ago.  They still aren't to market.

I would expect that if these trucks do come out they won't be Mini Logo, and they will work well, and they won't be all that commercially successful.   Mini Logo trucks work well. How often do you see them in the wild?  How often do you see them in the wild on someone's board who is over 10 years old?   

Based on the feedback from people on this board who have tried them, minilogo trucks are……actually really good????

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 09:24:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Based on the feedback from people on this board who have tried them, minilogo trucks are……actually really good????

I have both 8” and 8.38”.  They are good.

I also have Thunder team, Thunder hollow, Thunder Ti. Indy hollow, forged hollow, Ti, standard stage 8.
Ace classic and AF1.

If I had to only skate Mini Logo I would be fine. They stack up

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2022, 11:15:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Probably the best overall low truck if you skate over an 8" deck if I'm being honest (though I haven't skated the new aces yet). They have a nice snappy turn, they're super stable on center, they're light as hell, and they grind like thunders.

Honestly they don't look nearly as bad without the big ugly badge on the hanger either. I fux wit mini logo trucks for sure.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
Idk, Mini Logos are pretty bad if you've skated significantly better trucks from the bigger brands. They're a price point truck with price point quality.  A friend of mine broke them pretty easily trying to film a trick.  He threw his board kind of hard towards the ground trying to bail on this grind to gap and the truck just fell apart. Back to Indy for him. Kind of a freak accident, but still a testament to their mediocre quality.  :-X

Anyone who thinks they're as good as an Indy, Ace, or a Thunder is kidding themselves.

Ride what ya like, though!  8)
Super Champion Fun Zone

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2022, 01:01:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can't speak to overall quality and durability, but I skated a friend's Mini Logos and they were a smooth, stable yet somewhat surfy truck with a good feeling grind. I've used both the soft and medium bushings a few times and they are at least as good as anything else from the major makers.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2022, 01:39:15 PM »
Idk, Mini Logos are pretty bad if you've skated significantly better trucks from the bigger brands. They're a price point truck with price point quality.  A friend of mine broke them pretty easily trying to film a trick.  He threw his board kind of hard towards the ground trying to bail on this grind to gap and the truck just fell apart. Back to Indy for him. Kind of a freak accident, but still a testament to their mediocre quality.  :-X

Anyone who thinks they're as good as an Indy, Ace, or a Thunder is kidding themselves.

Is that single event the only reason you think they're worse? Because that happens to every truck. Seems to me like most reports of trucks more or less randomly breaking apart recently on slap are about independents (and lurpiv of course).

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2022, 01:49:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Is that single event the only reason you think they're worse? Because that happens to every truck. Seems to me like most reports of trucks more or less randomly breaking apart recently on slap are about independents (and lurpiv of course).

No, I was using an example of how mediocre Mini Logo quality is for their trucks. The random breaking anomaly that  I witnessed with my friend has never happened with any Indys ever as far as I've seen/heard. By me or others we knew. When I say break, the whole truck and its components just disassembled from the impact. Indys, Thunders, and Ventures don't do that. It would need a hell of a lot more force than what I saw to break those three the way these ML did.

I've ridden Mini Logo trucks and they feel cheap,  the turning is okay at best, and the grinding is no good. Doesn't keep speed or feel smooth at all. These are Mini Logos from years ago now, maybe 7 years-ish, so if they've improved since then, color me corrected. But I'm doubtful.
Super Champion Fun Zone