Author Topic: New Mini Logo Trucks Design?  (Read 10604 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: New Mini Logo Trucks Design?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2022, 04:17:20 PM »
I’m prolly taking little bits of stuff that I’ve heard and weaving in my own narrative but I think the mini logo truck was engineered and tested for years which at the time was to come up with a low truck that carved well…..

The kicker was not being able to manufacture it in the US, so they were made in china and put out as a price point truck ie mini logo….

I think they have some good aspects….

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2022, 04:57:25 PM »
I’m prolly taking little bits of stuff that I’ve heard and weaving in my own narrative but I think the mini logo truck was engineered and tested for years which at the time was to come up with a low truck that carved well…..

The kicker was not being able to manufacture it in the US, so they were made in china and put out as a price point truck ie mini logo….

They turn really well for a low truck, are light, cheap, and I like the grind.  I skated them the same session as Indy on some pool coping and was getting faster, longer grinds on the Mini Logo.  They give up on kingpin clearance, and I have had a kingpin come loose in the baseplate.  But they cost about 50% of a hollow forged Indy that is heavier. Are they as solid as an Indy?  No. But they are cheap and light.  But two sets.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2022, 10:34:04 PM »
They're definitely worth the PP price tag, my biggest complaints are the bushing (way too mushy) and pivot cups (hard plastic) which made the trucks feel cheap. The metal grinds hard like a Venture, moderate pinch / slide.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 02:16:28 AM »

I'm pretty sure you're at least mostly correct because that's exactly how I remember the story. I believe old Georgie sunk 7 figures into the R&D actually and it shows.. They're ugly as shit but extremely functional. I'm also a pretty big advocate of the 8.38" axle width in general, its perfect if you alternate between 8.25 and 8.37 deck but 8.5 doesn't really feel magic carpet either. Don't think i could do it on an 8.12 though.

I do think here's something to be said for skating a wide and low setup that actually turns (like future prime minister Andrew Anderson). Not even necessarily with ML, or new aces, or if you're comfortable skating an 8.5 on 5.2s like some maniacs I know, whatever. Just dropping a few mm and moving up a board size from what you're used to... I don't know what it is but popping ollies on boards like that is maybe my favorite thing to do in all of skating and I suddenly develop a fakie flip that's better than my normal one?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2022, 05:31:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm pretty sure you're at least mostly correct because that's exactly how I remember the story. I believe old Georgie sunk 7 figures into the R&D actually and it shows.. They're ugly as shit but extremely functional. I'm also a pretty big advocate of the 8.38" axle width in general, its perfect if you alternate between 8.25 and 8.37 deck but 8.5 doesn't really feel magic carpet either. Don't think i could do it on an 8.12 though.

I do think here's something to be said for skating a wide and low setup that actually turns (like future prime minister Andrew Anderson). Not even necessarily with ML, or new aces, or if you're comfortable skating an 8.5 on 5.2s like some maniacs I know, whatever. Just dropping a few mm and moving up a board size from what you're used to... I don't know what it is but popping ollies on boards like that is maybe my favorite thing to do in all of skating and I suddenly develop a fakie flip that's better than my normal one?
i agree with the wide and low sentiment. best feeling setups imo
venture lows in wider sizes would be the dream (49-50mm)
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2022, 07:36:36 AM »
go wide board small wheels..

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2022, 02:36:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Idk, Mini Logos are pretty bad if you've skated significantly better trucks from the bigger brands. They're a price point truck with price point quality.  A friend of mine broke them pretty easily trying to film a trick.  He threw his board kind of hard towards the ground trying to bail on this grind to gap and the truck just fell apart. Back to Indy for him. Kind of a freak accident, but still a testament to their mediocre quality.  :-X

Anyone who thinks they're as good as an Indy, Ace, or a Thunder is kidding themselves.

Ride what ya like, though!  8)
[close]

Is that single event the only reason you think they're worse? Because that happens to every truck. Seems to me like most reports of trucks more or less randomly breaking apart recently on slap are about independents (and lurpiv of course).

[close]

No, I was using an example of how mediocre Mini Logo quality is for their trucks. The random breaking anomaly that  I witnessed with my friend has never happened with any Indys ever as far as I've seen/heard. By me or others we knew. When I say break, the whole truck and its components just disassembled from the impact. Indys, Thunders, and Ventures don't do that. It would need a hell of a lot more force than what I saw to break those three the way these ML did.

I've ridden Mini Logo trucks and they feel cheap,  the turning is okay at best, and the grinding is no good. Doesn't keep speed or feel smooth at all. These are Mini Logos from years ago now, maybe 7 years-ish, so if they've improved since then, color me corrected. But I'm doubtful.

This happens all the time with every truck.

Ive broken Indy's on flat ground before.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2022, 01:35:47 PM »
I'm planting a flag now...If Skateone releases these, I'll consider buying them.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1069
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »
Will these sale for 30$ like regular ML trucks? If so I’d by a wide pair and through them on a mess around setup. But despite making quality products and having a new truck gimmick, i don’t know if people will want to pay full price.

I think, shiny new gimmick + low price would lead to greater adoption, but will it be cost effective to skate one?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2022, 06:28:33 PM »
Will these sale for 30$ like regular ML trucks? If so I’d by a wide pair and through them on a mess around setup. But despite making quality products and having a new truck gimmick, i don’t know if people will want to pay full price.

I think, shiny new gimmick + low price would lead to greater adoption, but will it be cost effective to skate one?

I bet they're $45-50/truck. I think they'll do similar marketing to the Flight decks, something like "these trucks have all the benefits of our mini logos, but the geometry gives better turning, bushings don't wear/crumble like they do on standard trucks, and there's no hang up on ramps or smiths/feebles. They'll last twice as long" or something.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2022, 06:40:10 PM »
Going after that "40-plus-coming-back-to-skateboarding-after-20-years-and-I-only-ride-Powell-Flight-decks" money
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2022, 09:22:23 PM »
Going after that "40-plus-coming-back-to-skateboarding-after-20-years-and-I-only-ride-Powell-Flight-decks" money

From the people who made the world lightest deck for people who don’t flip their board.

Serious question though. I suck at smith grinds. My strategy is usually to go fast. They’re never properly dipped. I can’t hold them. My transition grinds aren’t much better, but atleast they’re clearly smiths

How big of a issue is hanging up on grinds?

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2022, 11:17:13 AM »

Certainly true, but as a tech nerd I won't fault them for advancing skateboarding technology which has been stagnant for decades.

With Flight decks, RKP trucks, new Street Tech wheels and Bones Swiss Ceramic bearings they're really pushing hard to make top quality stuff.

That complete is gonna cost you $300 though.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I bet they're $45-50/truck. I think they'll do similar marketing to the Flight decks, something like "these trucks have all the benefits of our mini logos, but the geometry gives better turning, bushings don't wear/crumble like they do on standard trucks, and there's no hang up on ramps or smiths/feebles. They'll last twice as long" or something.

But if all that is true, what's the problem?

The truck market is pretty stagnant...different, lighter metals....IKP...but nothing really new in terms of basic design (if it works....)...now if the RKP somehow addresses frequent hang ups (a built in lapper design) and more grind clearance, that would be something worth checking out. Still, might fuck with krooks after a while.

Expand Quote
[close]

From the people who made the world lightest deck for people who don’t flip their board.

I believe durability was their main goal...not flipping weight, hence the rolling over the deck with trucks verses rotational data lol. Not one item listed about weight or flip tricks in the product description (anymore, they did at launch but were called out I'm guessing...Impact 'lights' aren't light either...just lighter than the defunct impact decks of yesteryear).

"FLIGHT™ Decks are:

Thinner - as thin as your phone
Stronger - more than twice as strong in our tail break tests
Longer lasting - The epoxy infused, fiber reinforced structure of the Flight deck is extremely resistant to breaking, and this structure gives them "everlasting pop" that doesn't fade as your deck slowly wears.
Ollies higher because of greater rebound and snap.
Team testing suggests that Flight decks will last several times longer than a 7-ply, making them a great value as well as a superior performing skateboard."

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 11:40:32 AM by Xen »

disclosed

• Rep: 174
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2022, 12:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The truck market is pretty stagnant...different, lighter metals....IKP...but nothing really new in terms of basic design (if it works....)...now if the RKP somehow addresses frequent hang ups (a built in lapper design) and more grind clearance, that would be something worth checking out. Still, might fuck with krooks after a while.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I believe durability was their main goal...not flipping weight, hence the rolling over the deck with trucks verses rotational data lol. Not one item listed about weight or flip tricks in the product description (anymore, they did at launch but were called out I'm guessing...Impact 'lights' aren't light either...just lighter than the defunct impact decks of yesteryear).

"FLIGHT™ Decks are:

Longer lasting - The epoxy infused, fiber reinforced structure of the Flight deck is extremely resistant to breaking, and this structure gives them "everlasting pop" that doesn't fade as your deck slowly wears.
Team testing suggests that Flight decks will last several times longer than a 7-ply, making them a great value as well as a superior performing skateboard."

going off topic but.
are they even lighter? i ve heard people mention it but i held/tried this guys 9" Andy deck last week and it was significantly heavier than my 10" Dead Dave. even though he was running Indy titanium hollows while i ride standards. thought that was odd.

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"FLIGHT™ Decks are:

[close]

going off topic but.
are they even lighter? i ve heard people mention it but i held/tried this guys 9" Andy deck last week and it was significantly heavier than my 10" Dead Dave. even though he was running Indy titanium hollows while i ride standards. thought that was odd.

I got my first Flight a couple weeks ago, they're definitely lighter. Was it a 7 ply AA deck?

disclosed

• Rep: 174
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2022, 01:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"FLIGHT™ Decks are:

[close]

going off topic but.
[close]

I got my first Flight a couple weeks ago, they're definitely lighter. Was it a 7 ply AA deck?

no it was definitly a flight. it was super heavy.
strange. cant think of why it was then.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2022, 01:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"FLIGHT™ Decks are:

[close]

going off topic but.

They're not lighter than the 'average' deck; lighter than some tho. Take Slave decks, heavier than anything out there really, even some BBS boards are lighter than other BBS boards of the same size. I've ridden a few flights, never once did I feel them being lighter than normal. Even the VX decks aren't lighter, thinner sure.

FWIW Primitve decks, no matter the size are usually lighter than other brands' boards of equal size and dims and I couldn't tell you why. Also, I don't weight decks anymore...I've tamed that portion of my OCD :P

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2022, 05:15:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"FLIGHT™ Decks are:

I didn’t mean to make it sound like any of that was bad, I’m Definitely curious. Especially since the general feedback on mini logo trucks is “actually they’re great” and the new bones formula is supposed to be amazing. If the rkp trucks come out and feedback is good, I’d be willing to give them a shot.

Everyone immediately jumped all over lurpivs because oski rips and is cool, but because Powell sponsors a bunch of dorks no one is willing to give the trucks a shot? Sort of lame.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2022, 06:09:32 PM »
I wasn't calling you out at all.

If wheels aren't brown, trucks aren't in the big 3 (or 4) or boards aren't coming out of DLX or some new clip-art-local bro-brand, it gets shit on immediately around here...Guy gets a board on April (fucking GUY gets a board on April) yet the company is 'shit' around here; stacked team, great shapes/wood, but no clip art ;P

Powell (like Santa Cruz or Dog Town) or anything pre-AWS (even they're getting shit on here) aren't kewl enough from the young drip-concerned swag headz these days...it also doesn't help that powell shapes are dogshit (243 shape gets a pass) ;)

Gawd forbid PP make a wheel even if it's brown it will get shit on [or truck, just look at the new Royal] that actually does what it's marketed as, and could actually be/is good.... Watch...ML trucks are very, very good for a PP truck, they punch above their weight and compete easily with the big 4 but they're not cool (they certainly don't look cool).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:05:44 PM by Xen »

MysticalTypeExperience

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2022, 07:59:35 PM »

If wheels aren't brown, trucks aren't in the big 3 (or 4) or boards aren't coming out of DLX or some new clip-art-local bro-brand, it gets shit on immediately around here...Guy gets a board on April (fucking GUY gets a board on April) yet the company is 'shit' around here; stacked team, great shapes/wood, but no clip art ;P

Powell (like Santa Cruz or Dog Town) or anything pre-AWS (even they're getting shit on here) aren't kewl enough from the young drip-concerned swag headz these days...it also doesn't help that powell shapes are dogshit (243 shape gets a pass) ;)

Gawd forbid PP make a wheel even if it's brown it will get shit on [or truck, just look at the new Royal] that actually does what it's marketed as, and could actually be/is good.... Watch...ML trucks are very, very good for a PP truck, they punch above their weight and compete easily with the big 4 but they're not cool (they certainly don't look cool).

I really like the 245 shape (8.75x32.95x15"), it really feels like a goldilocks shape for me. But I think I'm in the minority where I enjoy a long deck and wheelbase. I'm a taller dude and it just feels right to have more leg room on the board.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2022, 08:08:45 PM »
I agree with where both of you are going. We’d still be flatspotting spitfires 4 minutes in to the first sesh after hitting a stop rock, had George not cooked up the stfs.
Also totally agree that the Powell shapes are dogshit. The mini logo truck r&d is so wild to me, because the truck gets good reviews from lots of people. I’ve had people that I personally respect skating wise share positive feelings about those things, and I just cannot. Because I’m small and weak minded. I mean someone would need to cgi these things on Lavar’s greatest misses for me to think about em.
All I’m trying to say is why make something that functional and then pretend that one of the most vain customer bases of all times will just…
I think a huge big large factor in all of this is Powell has a business model that seems to be fairly anti skateshop, and then doesn’t have a cool team. Primitive gets away with it because they have some hitters. Charlie Blair doesn’t make me wanna. If one of two shops in my home state (or uprise)doesn’t have the product, I’m not gonna try it

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2022, 08:31:33 PM »
I think a huge big large factor in all of this is Powell has a business model that seems to be fairly anti skateshop, and then doesn’t have a cool team.

Their target demographic IMO:
- skaters on the comeback trail in their 40-50s, PP still resonates with them as a brand, stopped caring about being cool and don't keep up with modern skateboarding outside of a few vert legends
- kids of the above adults, will ride anything but dad's paying so why not, have no concept of cool in skateboarding

ML trucks are great for the price, and as much as I don't like the PP brand I will try their trucks out of morbid curiosity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2022, 09:58:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I think a huge big large factor in all of this is Powell has a business model that seems to be fairly anti skateshop, and then doesn’t have a cool team.
[close]

Their target demographic IMO:
- skaters on the comeback trail in their 40-50s, PP still resonates with them as a brand, stopped caring about being cool and don't keep up with modern skateboarding outside of a few vert legends
- kids of the above adults, will ride anything but dad's paying so why not, have no concept of cool in skateboarding

ML trucks are great for the price, and as much as I don't like the PP brand I will try their trucks out of morbid curiosity.

You are correct.
And then after you try the trucks out, and tell me that you can crook further than ever, I’ll get them and just never admit it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2022, 08:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really like the 245 shape (8.75x32.95x15"), it really feels like a goldilocks shape for me. But I think I'm in the minority where I enjoy a long deck and wheelbase. I'm a taller dude and it just feels right to have more leg room on the board.

245 is still the same shape as the 243, speaking strictly shape (nose/tail/taper). 247/248/249 are hideous.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »
I agree with where both of you are going. We’d still be flatspotting spitfires 4 minutes in to the first sesh after hitting a stop rock, had George not cooked up the stfs.
Also totally agree that the Powell shapes are dogshit. The mini logo truck r&d is so wild to me, because the truck gets good reviews from lots of people. I’ve had people that I personally respect skating wise share positive feelings about those things, and I just cannot. Because I’m small and weak minded. I mean someone would need to cgi these things on Lavar’s greatest misses for me to think about em.
All I’m trying to say is why make something that functional and then pretend that one of the most vain customer bases of all times will just…
I think a huge big large factor in all of this is Powell has a business model that seems to be fairly anti skateshop, and then doesn’t have a cool team. Primitive gets away with it because they have some hitters. Charlie Blair doesn’t make me wanna. If one of two shops in my home state (or uprise)doesn’t have the product, I’m not gonna try it

I wonder if Powell/skateone/bones are anti-skateshop, or if skateshops are just anti-powell brands? Every skate shop carries bones bearings and wheels, maybe some will carry Powell boards, but almost none carry anything minilogo. Part of it could be that shops just can't make the margin they need to on price point minilogo trucks and boards. Also, most shops that carry any powell boards are usually older dude shops selling re-release 80s fish decks, not any of the core, cool skate shops. I could see it going either way.

That being said, I don't think anyone would argue that they are doing a lot of R&D and are introducing new tech/designs into skating which is overall positive. I'm definitely not rushing out to get a set of ML trucks, but if the RKP is as good as they're saying it is, I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2022, 10:25:49 AM »
how is exactly is skateone anti skateshop? Like are they just hard to do business with? No shop near me  carries anything skate one except bones products and I'm pretty sure it comes from Eastern and not bones directly.

The only one in state i know get regular powell drops, caters to that demographic.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2022, 10:30:38 AM »
how is exactly is skateone anti skateshop? Like are they just hard to do business with? No shop near me  carries anything skate one except bones products and I'm pretty sure it comes from Eastern and not bones directly.

The only one in state i know get regular powell drops, caters to that demographic.

They probably prioritize online sales/their own webstore instead of shops. They could also offer bad margins because their product is fairly inexpensive.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2022, 10:36:14 AM »
Fuck all this "for the price" shit, they're just good trucks. I would not feel like I got ripped off if I paid $50 for them at all. I also don't think they look THAT bad anymore either.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »
Fuck all this "for the price" shit, they're just good trucks. I would not feel like I got ripped off if I paid $50 for them at all. I also don't think they look THAT bad anymore either.

The sloped hanger still throws me off. I understand the reasoning but it looks real wild.