Author Topic: Florida Man tries to shut down skate shop for allegedly backdooring Nike SBs  (Read 10535 times)

manysnakes

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Frankly speaking, I’d actually prefer my shop hook up the good homies & locals rather than these random vultures.
If they can back door that shit & prosper, more power to they.
I ain’t payin’ that kind of money for those bad boys; makes no difference to me so long as they thrive.
[close]

Exactly.   Shops know who their regulars are. 

It was sad/funny one rainy morning in LA the owner of my local showed up to open his shop and found a line of mostly parents (being very good to their kids) having stood there for many hours for a release that was rumored on some website but the store hadn’t made any posts about so it wasn’t happening (iirc it was days before the official release so they couldn’t hook them up anyways)

I’m surprised the dunk market still exists.   I bought that dark grey/light grey pair of highs because I had store credit on GOAT and I put a low ball offer in and it was accepted.   Is it worth all that hassle for $40 profit?
[close]

When things were shutdown due to covid and the dunk resurgence was just taking off, I had time on my hands and hit a few raffles. I resold shoes for hundreds of dollars of profit and paid emergency pet medical bills with one pair actually, lol. But now that things are cooled off and average resale prices aren't astronomical (haven't checked in about 6 months so maybe I'm wrong), not worth it at all.

I am by no means a "reseller." I think I won like 3 raffles and entered 10 or so over the course of a year, these other dudes let it run their lives. Dunks are a big deal in my local scene (shop has done numerous colorways), but most of the skaters I know can't be bothered with chasing them. It's just crazy sneakerheads like this idiot in Florida.
[close]

My local shop posted about a raffle for some of those KCDC Dunks, and for the first time ever, I was like "oh, this is a cool looking shoe. I'm gonna enter!" And I won! But now I have a pair of $120 Nike Dunks that I'm afraid to do anything with because frankly that's way too much money to pay for a pair of athletic shoes you're gonna destroy skating.

I thought maybe I'd just sell them on eBay, but the going price is like $150, which obviously doesn't represent any profit over the $120 I paid, so now I've got some pink KCDC Nike Dunks that I don't presently know what to do with but assume will eventually be worth more than I paid (so long as I keep them hermetically sealed, I guess).

So anyway, that's my first time ever dipping my toe into the collectible "sneaker" shit. Now I have a pair of fancy Nikes that I don't know what to do with.
[close]

The right thing to do is to wear them while you go out and start stacking clips.

I’ve thought about just saying fuck it and wearing them, but honestly it has been so insanely gross in the northwest this season that I’ve hardly been skating and I’m only wearing my absolute crustiest shoes in this filth. Not gonna turn my expensive pink Nikes brown by walking down the street in them.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
I wish more shops would be like Atlas and tie their raffles into supporting a charity. 

eSK3

I wish more shops would be like Atlas and tie their raffles into supporting a charity.

I like Orchard and using skate trivia related to the release to pick who gets a chance.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1441
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Expand Quote
[close]

I like Orchard and using skate trivia related to the release to pick who gets a chance.
No Comply also does the $5 entry for charity. They raised a ton of money for some Texas food banks. Orchard also did this for those Natas blind bags.

I got those Parra dunks from Orchard from some weird trivia I learned from Alexis Sablone’s Bunt episode.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 809
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
No Comply also does the $5 entry for charity. They raised a ton of money for some Texas food banks. Orchard also did this for those Natas blind bags.

I got those Parra dunks from Orchard from some weird trivia I learned from Alexis Sablone’s Bunt episode.

grapes?

manysnakes

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

35th Ave and 35th Ave North often do food bank or back-to-school drives. Sometimes they accept donation receipts for their chosen charity, as well.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1441
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

grapes?
BINGO! 🍇🍇🍇

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
It’s entitled people like this that make working retail a nightmare for the rest of us.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 25
if you're a sneaker head you fucking suck and aren't a human, just a zombie of consumerism. Tens of thousands of years of human evolution and this is your shit? YIKES.

Fuck that limited edition shit.
As long Nike doesn’t make it happen that I can
go to my local skateshop whenever I want / need some new skateshoe and can buy some mid dunks in all Black / all white or some other cool and decent colorway.
I don’t give fuck about this fuckers, and will buy an halfcab or some last resort instead.

thot juice

• Rep: -54
back backdooring & only hiring good looking white ppl like abercrombie & fitch

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
there's nothing wrong with shops being choosy about who gets dunks in my opinion as long as it isn't the same people every time. as other people said i'd way rather see that stuff go to the locals who represent the shop and actually support it as opposed to some hypebeast dickheads who could care less about their local skate scene
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 130
I'm getting a train of thought from this thread that I think has a solution. Would be a pain in the ass to do maybe, but hear me out. To purchase SB dunks you need to have some sort of proof that you skate lol. Like a receipt that you recently bought wheels or a deck, etc. Could also accept the customer wearing skate shoes with ollie/flick wear, or you have to show the seller that you can at least do a kickflip outside the store, etc.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
I'm getting a train of thought from this thread that I think has a solution. Would be a pain in the ass to do maybe, but hear me out. To purchase SB dunks you need to have some sort of proof that you skate lol. Like a receipt that you recently bought wheels or a deck, etc. Could also accept the customer wearing skate shoes with ollie/flick wear, or you have to show the seller that you can at least do a kickflip outside the store, etc.

eBay opened a store over the weekend on Fairfax where customers got heavy discounts on sneakers if they wore them out the door.   

I don’t know how big of an issue it really is or it just affects very online people

Buttholesurfer

• Rep: 13
If you have to pay retail for shoes and you skate your a kook. By now you should know a pro and get hooked up simple as that. Also who cares if your local is back dooring. They should be hooking up their loyal customers rather then some hype beast

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
This is just the male version of a Karen who doesn’t understand how raffles/ drops work. especially in 2022 when everyone and their moms is on snkrs every morning.

Straight gilligan shit

Free max b

Exactly. During the pandemic so many people started entering SNKRS draws because it literally takes five seconds to do. So if you don't hit, it's no big deal. And if you do hit, you just made some easy money, especially with all the ways you can resell shoes now (StockX, GOAT, eBay, OfferUp, Reddit, Facebook Marketplace, etc.).

Here's Florida Man on Reddit bragging about his first w's on SNKRS:

Then as soon as the sneakers arrive he goes back to Reddit to flip them:

That's an easy $1,400 profit for very little work. All of a sudden this guy thinks he's some sort of resell mogul.

The only reason these people act like this is their poor choice to make a living off of scalping shoes. I mean these folks live and eat off this shit and i know first hand because i work a second job as a supervisor at a sneaker store in my town and let me tell you people have gone as far as to threaten the life of employees over this shit. The issue now is it aint like back in the day where people got they shoe in cleared they got send people in the store to pick up more than one or even call corporate with a lie just to get some shoes. And these people are too dumb to realize that the demand for the product is the only reason they make money off it so it baffles me ,how come they dont understand that if their is a stock 20 shoes and  the whole city wants it they might lose even with all the tactics they use. the stories i could tell of just craziness people act on just to get 20 to 100 dollars off a shoe is wild

Yep, and when Florida Man's luck started to run out on SNKRS draws, he gets all pissed off that he can't win the raffles from the local skate shop. Like he's entitled to win because he's cleared a grand reselling. Has no idea what a skate shop is, what is does for the community, the concept of loyal customers.

buttchin

• Rep: 18
Expand Quote
This is just the male version of a Karen who doesn’t understand how raffles/ drops work. especially in 2022 when everyone and their moms is on snkrs every morning.

Straight gilligan shit

Free max b
[close]

Exactly. During the pandemic so many people started entering SNKRS draws because it literally takes five seconds to do. So if you don't hit, it's no big deal. And if you do hit, you just made some easy money, especially with all the ways you can resell shoes now (StockX, GOAT, eBay, OfferUp, Reddit, Facebook Marketplace, etc.).

That's an easy $1,400 profit for very little work. All of a sudden this guy thinks he's some sort of resell mogul.

Expand Quote
The only reason these people act like this is their poor choice to make a living off of scalping shoes. I mean these folks live and eat off this shit and i know first hand because i work a second job as a supervisor at a sneaker store in my town and let me tell you people have gone as far as to threaten the life of employees over this shit. The issue now is it aint like back in the day where people got they shoe in cleared they got send people in the store to pick up more than one or even call corporate with a lie just to get some shoes. And these people are too dumb to realize that the demand for the product is the only reason they make money off it so it baffles me ,how come they dont understand that if their is a stock 20 shoes and  the whole city wants it they might lose even with all the tactics they use. the stories i could tell of just craziness people act on just to get 20 to 100 dollars off a shoe is wild
[close]

Yep, and when Florida Man's luck started to run out on SNKRS draws, he gets all pissed off that he can't win the raffles from the local skate shop. Like he's entitled to win because he's cleared a grand reselling. Has no idea what a skate shop is, what is does for the community, the concept of loyal customers.

The dude is a sneaker newb and a clown imho for thinking it would be easy to cop some limited sb’s, knowing that most SB accounts cater to select skate shops. I would like to see this fool do that at andrew skateshop in FL, supreme, or ftc. I am not one to use violence, but he needs to straight up get checked and possibly banned for all future releases for bringing his agenda out to some of the most legit brick-and-mortor skate shops that survive  off their high tier Nike SB accounts
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:04:38 PM by buttchin »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I liked my skate shops backdooring buds more than shit like this.
Support your local skate shop

spicysk8rboi

• Rep: 4

There was a shop that did do this at least once, can’t remember who though. Whoever won the raffle had to ollie a deck before purchasing

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Frankly speaking, I’d actually prefer my shop hook up the good homies & locals rather than these random vultures.
If they can back door that shit & prosper, more power to they.
I ain’t payin’ that kind of money for those bad boys; makes no difference to me so long as they thrive.
[close]

Exactly.   Shops know who their regulars are. 

It was sad/funny one rainy morning in LA the owner of my local showed up to open his shop and found a line of mostly parents (being very good to their kids) having stood there for many hours for a release that was rumored on some website but the store hadn’t made any posts about so it wasn’t happening (iirc it was days before the official release so they couldn’t hook them up anyways)

I’m surprised the dunk market still exists.   I bought that dark grey/light grey pair of highs because I had store credit on GOAT and I put a low ball offer in and it was accepted.   Is it worth all that hassle for $40 profit?
[close]

sorry man, but that's not good parenting to me. That's how you create spoiled brats. If my kids dared to ask me to wait in line for hours for some overpriced shoe, oh man.....I'd feel I failed as a parent. and they'd get an earful believe me.
anyways like others said, current sneaker culture sucks. I love sneakers, I even bought books about that shit, but I get my high off finding shit I find fresh myself. not what everyone else is wearing...."the cool uniform" as someone said above.
[close]

I said good to their kids, not good parents, but these weren’t some rich whiteys out there.  they were salt of the earth working class types who were doing something nice for their kids.   I’m not going to make any assumptions about the family dynamics and whether their kids should learn to live without something they want, etc.

hahahah I guess you've never been to the supermarket with a 2 year old.....teaching kids they "should learn to live without something they want" is pretty much half your job as a parent.
also blowing your money on trendy/overpriced clothes if you're rich is kinda stupid and superficial to me, but for someone who has troubles making ends meet, it's even worse. teach your kids not to care about the labels, that's doing something good for your kids. Teach them the value of money.
edit: I hope  I'm not coming off too preachy here, but these are things I struggle daily with, as the father of a 14 year old and a 9 year old.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Expand Quote
What is up with FL, I mean, really?

. Is everyone sipping margaritas with a bath-salt rim   
[close]

Pure gold, amigo. Pure gold

I concur!
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

IpathCats

the overlap of guys that are REALLY into sneakers/cars are some of the worst, most shallow, egocentric, materialistic, man children on earth. I'm on the perimeter of both of these communities, and i cant fucking stand most people i meet through them. an insufferable bunch

Beeda Weeda

purchase your personality.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
My local has to turn off the IG comments when they list a Nike raffle. You have to answer Skate Trivia be considered.

They local NBA players line jump/backdoor asks. It's a lot of extra work dealing with these scumbags. It helps the bottom line though.

I think Nike knows that these people are crazy and don't take a lot of stock in their claims.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
ok thanks

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1312
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
My local either holds a raffle through donation to the local food bank or gives out tickets at cutty skate spots. Fuck sneaker heads.

manysnakes

They local NBA players line jump/backdoor asks.

I find it hard to believe that an NBA player cannot just call up Nike and get whatever shoes they want. I have several friends in entertainment who have been to the Nike VIP warehouse in both New York and LA, where celebrities can show up and get whatever Nike shit they want for free. Maybe these Dunks are just that limited though?

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
Yo fuck all this for real. I can personally say the block does nothing but support the skate community in Jacksonville. Mike, Adam, and everyone involved with that shop have shown nothing but professionalism and respect.
Check that screenshot, and check their responses to IG comments. Notice how different their responses are . Never once have I seen them respond to someone like that.
Fuck you if you try to cancel this shop over bullshit like this. They Straight up built a DIY park in the back lot of their store for anyone to skate.

No shit! The block is literally the straightest of straight shooters in our community.
It's real easy for some people to assume all skate businesses in jax are run by jerks (for some reason) but I can assure you these guys are the real deal and actually the nicest dudes ever.

Fuck whoever this guy is. Also kinda fuck this sneakerhead nonsense too.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391

at 54:04 mark, Alyasha Owerka-Moore, the OG NYC skater/designer who put dunks on to the skateboard scene again in the late 90's early 2000's at Nike corporate with his alphanumeric x nike dunk collab, explained the backdoor, nike/supreme hype train pretty accurately. As a guest on Talib Kweli's podcast , Alyasha basically summed up how streetwear is basically constant consumerism for people trying to get into the "limited club" of the designers, skaters, and artists of a certain brand and spending their hard-earned money to keep up with the joneses. Kinda sad knowing this from an OG designer's perspective, but it is pretty true.

Always wanted to know more about this dude, thanks for posting this.

Intriguing to hear about his friend with the wrist tattoos that say "Never wait never pay." Kind of reminds me of this image of skating I grew up with, where you know people behind the scenes that can get you into places.

I'll admit I'm into the Dunk hype to a degree. I was able to cop a few pairs last year. I just see it as supporting my local shop. This Florida kid is definitely kooking it as well, there's nothing wrong with skateshops wanting Dunks to get into the hands of actual skateboarders.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
My pc is so old I can't even view OP full post. I'm over trying to win dunks through a raffle. It's not going to happen and I'm ok with that. I'm not going to pay aftermarket either.  I am however receiving some bootleg 277 dunks in the mail today. $60. Sweeeet. If I ever run into Ishod or Magnus I'll give them a $20. ha!

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
  • Did someone say sassy?
Expand Quote

Straight gilligan shit

Free max b
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

This is excellent LPQ-level documentation!