Poll

What is the optimal wheel size for street skating in your opinion?

Can't spell wheels without wee
51-52mm
53-54mm
55-56mm
BIGGER IS BETTER

Author Topic: Optimal wheel size for street skating  (Read 5395 times)

Wizard0f0dds

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 72
Optimal wheel size for street skating
« on: May 29, 2022, 08:32:52 PM »
I'd like to know what you guys think is the best size of wheels for street. Feel free to comment on shape, and why you think that.

Been messing around with different wheels lately, and while overall I think 54mm classics is probably my sweet spot, I prefer my 54mm OG Classics on rougher ground and 52mm classics for techy skating and flatground.

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
Re: Optimal wheel size for street skating
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 08:51:19 PM »
I'd like to know what you guys think is the best size of wheels for street. Feel free to comment on shape, and why you think that.

Been messing around with different wheels lately, and while overall I think 54mm classics is probably my sweet spot, I prefer my 54mm OG Classics on rougher ground and 52mm classics for techy skating and flatground.
I think the answer to this question is more geographical than anything.
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i live in pacific northwest or east coast city
i hate it here
U.K.

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 09:30:27 PM »
Obviously it all depends on what type of terrain you're skating, what style of skating you're doing, etc.

Midwest is crusty, so I don't have the luxery of a smaller wheel.

My favorite are 56mm, but I don't skate tech at all. That is basically my limit for size. It lets me skate in a nice sweet spot of 55-54mm with a bit wider of a surface too. Overall the wheel has a longer lifespan so its more economical. Especially for Bones wheels (which have thin riding patches compared to Spitfire), the V6 56mm are decently wider than the V6 54mm... The V6 54mm are slightly too thin for me.

I would say 54mm is a really healthy size for all types of skating and all terrain you'll find in the street. Enough size to get over things (crust, cracks, etc.) and maintain momentum, but they aren't monster truck wheels like 56mm+. They are a good starting point to wear down from to get the most lifespan out of the wheel.

I honestly feel like wheel WIDTH is something that isn't talked about enough. I feel it really has a huge effect on everything from turning to the general feel of the wheels. I feel like when I'm skating thin wheels that my board is on its tip-toes. However, Spitfire Radial Full were just a bit too big for me. Really felt like monster truck wheels in a way that was a bit too heavy and cumbersome.

I feel like the Bones V6 56mm are essentially my ideal wheel... though Spitfire Conical Full 54mm are nice too with a good balance of width. I think OG Classics in 56mm or 58mm would probably be awesome too, but I haven't gotten to ride those yet.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 09:32:28 PM »
It’s 54, even though I like 56 too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 09:55:21 PM »
i live in toronto suburbs

52 super fat wide stfs or normal contact patch 54/56mm.

ive skated 58mm wide with no problem but was probably because i switched from indy to thunder.

dont neglect your bearings! ive run ~45mm with fresh quantums and didnt feel much speed loss, i like that quick acceleration for ledge skating anyways. throw downs then trick doesnt really test the glide of your wheel
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 10:54:57 PM »
I live in Southern CA and have consistently bought Bones or Spits (last two years) in 53-55m for the last 8-10 years. Haven't gone below 53 since sometime before 2012 I believe. I bought one F4 Conical in 52 when I thought there was gonna be a wheel shortage/price hike because of Covid, but I've yet to set em up.

54mm is my preference and i like to get technical but skate transition, rougher ground, and just maintain speed better. Dainty sub 53mm just don't cut it!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 01:46:09 AM »
Used to be 54mm only for me. 99A F4 Conical Fulls preferably. I ran them down to 50mm until getting new ones. Now I sometimes go all the way up to 60mm depending on the board. Finland has mostly quite rough ground so skating from spot to spot can be a chore with even 58mm 99A Conical Fulls.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 01:48:51 AM »
East Berlin here. I am digging the 52mm Spitfire Regular Conicals. Wider contact patch matters more as the wheel size in my opinion.
IG: @flowterspace

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 02:04:41 AM »
My Bones 100s 52s are down at 46mm now and still good, even great now the contact patch is wider. Switzerland has mostly nice pavement but on Saturday I wanted to skate a cobblestone obstacle. I even brought my crust set up with 52mm Spits but no luck. Maybe with soft 60 mms it would have worked.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2022, 04:28:55 AM »

I used to always ride bigger wheels everywhere, but compared to most people my board was thought to be or always looked at as a transition based setup, even compared to some of the late 90s street dudes on bigger wheels, but that was the closest comparison to how I liked to ride bigger and wider wheels more so than small skinny wheels.

Nowdays I have three different category normal board setups:

1) Those with newer bigger 56 to 58 mm Classic or Classic Full shaped wheels, mainly for going faster on anything
2) The worn down a bit of those same wheels between 52 and 54 mm or some 54 mm or so Classics or Conical Full for all rounders
3) The very worn down Classics or Conical Full wheels usually around 50 mm with re shaped rounded sides for curbs and very small carpark stuff

It might seem redundant to always have a few boards in the car, but it definitely is nice to switch it up when needed, which is why I do that.  Everything else on the boards is pretty much exactly the same, just the wheel size.

That works for me anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2022, 07:47:44 AM »
I really like 58 but i know that is a bit big for most people. no risers, on indys, trucks tightened only 1 thread. I live in a small town in Canada so its probably extra rough here. I think 54 is the best "all around size"  but if you buy 56mm and wear them down to like 53-54 is even better

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2022, 08:15:19 AM »
54mm-56mm for me personally..

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2022, 08:23:46 AM »
For me I like to stay on 53mm f4 but I will do 52 or 54 depending on if I like the shape of the wheel. I don't skate street as often as I used to.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 09:51:18 AM »
i’ve been bouncing around different wheel sizes and shapes for the past year now. from what i’ve found, i do my “best,” skating on 52-54mm wheels in a more conical or side cut shape. right now i’m on 52mm conical fulls and they’re one of my recent favorites. i also really enjoyed 53mm radials and 54mm tablets

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 10:47:42 AM »
I spent the past couple years jumping around between all different bigger, wider wheels - conical fulls, OG classics, radial fulls, Loophole v-cuts in 56 through 58 mm usually.  More recently I threw on some 55 mm Spitfire Classics.  After getting used to how visually shocking seeing more narrow wheels looks I can honestly say I'm loving them.  I feel like they’re perfect for most things and will continue to get better worn down to 52-54mm. 

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
I like flipping around but the east european streets are sometime quite rough so i start at 54 (classical shape) and feel them best when beeing worn down to 52, coz the contact patch gets wider but they still have rounded edges.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 11:38:57 AM »
I'm a firm believer in big wheels. I've been on 60s for a while and, once you've tasted the feeling of gliding over a braille block, it's hard to back. I also enjoy the fact that, like Mbrimson said, everyone just assumes I'm a transition skater and I get a pass from the local cool kids half my age for only being able to kickflip.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 12:19:44 PM »
I mainly partake in park style and incessantly try to slow down…..52 it is!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2022, 12:31:33 PM »
53 conical feels right to me
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2206
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
54-56 for me, please.
I reckon that makes 55 my sweet spot?
I’m not too picky.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2022, 04:03:04 PM »
'Park' Street
'Real' Street
Plaza 'Street'?
Crusty Street?

Personally 52-54 depending on terrain and I have no issues swapping out wheels for size/duro or shape based on what the session is going to be.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 04:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i hate it here
U.K.
i dont know how to acknowledge to you that i found this funny. but this was funny as fuck
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 05:01:11 PM »
54mm is my preference
Cocteau Twins

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2022, 05:30:10 PM »
Fifty fucking three baby

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2022, 06:06:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i hate it here
U.K.

Always runnin the conical full f4 i hate it here's
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2022, 06:09:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i hate it here
U.K.

It makes me wonder what type of wheels Tom Knox skates. I don't know how he is so tech and quickfooted skating UK crust and bricks and coblestone.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2022, 06:29:10 PM »
Tom Knox rides 53mm conical shaped SML 99a's.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2022, 08:49:09 PM »
Like stated before it depends on where and what you skate. I prefer 53s for an all arounder(spits f4 99 classic shape) but I’ll ride 53-56 (same shape/duro) w/o much of an issue.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2022, 09:47:46 PM »
I size them by my board width.

8” - 51/52 because it’s a tech board.

8.25” - 53/54 - all around

8.5” - 54/55 - all around, but bigger

8.75” and up - 55/56 - flip is not a priority

54 is most often skated

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2022, 12:21:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this poll is basically:
i live in california
i hate it here
U.K.
[close]
i dont know how to acknowledge to you that i found this funny. but this was funny as fuck
glad you enjoyed my thorough analysis