Author Topic: Lurpiv Struggling Already  (Read 20363 times)

ezekiel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Lurpiv Struggling Already
« on: June 05, 2022, 08:35:39 AM »
Latest post on their Instagram kinda implies they’re running into some issues. Really hope it’s not true as I’m always down to support a new skater owned business especially in a sector that isn’t just another board/clothing/hardware brand. Maybe a manufacturing change because of the slight design issue?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CebQl11jZSB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Monopolyman

Re: Lurpiv Struggling Already
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 10:12:10 AM »
Yeah their website’s been down a while.  Video’s probably to tell everyone they’ll be back soon

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 10:28:07 AM »
Theranos Truck Co. cant fuck with the Ace Pilot Experience
https://youtu.be/KyjW5jaVb68
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 12:09:54 PM »
trucks is easily the hardest market to break into. geometry, quality control, defects, marketing. i’m rooting for him but i think he really needs to change the way he does things. he really should just shut it down and start testing his product, for like a year at least. and then relaunch. 

I’m sorry but 100 dollars for trucks is absolutely ridiculous. small brand or not. Got to figure out a way to get that price point down. I’d start with getting rid of that ridiculous packaging. Why waste money on that stupid box?

i’m rooting for him tho

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 12:28:28 PM »
It’s too bad that lurpiv had all the little details right, but so many of the bigger issues wrong.
With how fast everything moves today/ the fact that everyone is a brand or company there are some things , like trucks, that need time before coming out.

I never bought them, and haven’t tried them on anyone else’s board.

I know Oski will be fine in the long run even if he “lost it all” like he says in this video ( I know it’s kind of a joke video with the super serious tone). He still has a solid check with Nike and could for another 10 years if he just keeps positive and skates. That money could potentially carry him for the rest of his life if used smartly. I like him as a skater a lot, but it seems like people were bummed on that oski likes sharks part, and outside of being in a polar production, maybe he is not as interesting as when he is in it. I genuinely wish the dude well and hope he doesn’t get depressed by this.

It could be worse, he could be known for pushing nft’s or something.

Monopolyman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 12:29:37 PM »
So this is what I got told:
The factory that produced Lurpivs actually used to make car parts. Their biggest costumer pulled out so they were struggling and had to find other forms of revenue. That’s where Lurpiv came to play. But I guess it wasn’t enough to keep the lights on so they had to shut down.

From what I know, the trucks were kinda expensive to produce in comparison to the industry’s standard.
That’s why lurpiv was just selling them directly to the consumer through their webstore.
They were struggling to get them to be sold at skate shops and still make a decent profit…

But I feel like this is not the last time we hear about them… maybe they’ll move somewhere that makes it more business friendly. Who knows…

IpathCats

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2022, 01:15:29 PM »
Really needed more r&d

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 01:30:28 PM »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 03:17:26 PM »
"starting a business wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be"

lol

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

comicbookguy

• Rep: -53
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 05:10:24 PM »
Lurpiv of existing.

mamba

• Rep: 134
  • Sucka free
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »
"starting a business wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be"

lol

Big ole facepalm

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 05:53:46 PM »
He’s gonna move production to Asia and all the QC issues will get ironed out but the Swedish made ones will be collectible.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1135
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 06:05:14 PM »
sternum never had these problems. fuck the chest

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 06:10:18 PM »
He’s gonna move production to Asia and all the QC issues will get ironed out but the Swedish made ones will be collectible.

That's the only way to make it sustainable in the long run profit wise, China manufacturers got the scale and ability to take smaller MOQs if he can work past the language barrier.

Trucks are the hardest skate product to introduce to the market especially if you're doing a brand new design. Decks, wheels and bushings are essentially the same products with different graphics screened on, with trucks he's starting from ground zero.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2022, 06:20:58 PM »
A real Saab story.

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 17
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2022, 05:43:09 AM »
Props to Oski for not trying to just capitalize on his popularity with like a clothing/ deck brand that's uninspired, and actually trying to take the road less traveled to make something of substance.

Hope he is able to establish something that has staying power in the skate industry, as that's what it seems he's looking for. Just hope he finds his way while he's still on top of the professional world.

Stoked to have a pair of the first batch shipped out and the box, little piece of skate history now I guess?

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2022, 05:49:44 AM »
Yeah it was cool he did something other than edgy/stupid T-shirt’s…but there’s a reason there has never been more than 3-4 truck companies people care about.

Can’t speak to whatever technical shit was going on with those trucks that was supposed to be in ovational
Or whatever but they always just looked like old Indy’s to me.

No more truck companies. Unless Krēper is coming back in which case ima need em by yesterday.

Free max b
FREE MAX B

ezekiel

• Rep: 4
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2022, 06:49:33 AM »
Still completely down for them even if they have to switch up manufacturing to a cheaper location. People hate on Chinese manufacturing but they really have made leaps and bounds over the last 10ish years or so. Also as a few others have said ditching the gimmicky packaging for something cheaper and more sustainable would be a smart move in my opinion. Being based in Canada trucks cost around 90 CAD a pair plus tax so the price for something skater owned/created was always fine with me.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1417
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
The geometry is great, hefty pop feel on a tall surfy truck that isn't squirrelly and doesn't wheelbite.

No complete axle and a shouldered kingpin bolt were terrible ideas. Inverted kingpins are already prone to untighten, reaming out the baseplate kingpin hole, and wiggling around, so introducing a shouldered bolt is just exacerbating the issues. The grub screw in the baseplate was a weak bandaid that will inevitably fall out. It's a shame, they're really fun trucks.

The price wasn't exorbitant for a Swedish-made hard good with rheocasting, imho.

Unless Krēper is coming back in which case ima need em by yesterday.

Grind King put out the Disruptor trucks a couple of years ago.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2022, 07:43:28 AM »

I had 0 issues with my Lurpiv trucks, maybe because I didn't go too hard on trasnition in them. That being said. I do hope is moving on to more efficient production that can fix the design flaws and keep a similar geometry. A light version would also be dope.

IpathCats

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2022, 10:04:06 AM »

I had 0 issues with my Lurpiv trucks, maybe because I didn't go too hard on trasnition in them. That being said. I do hope is moving on to more efficient production that can fix the design flaws and keep a similar geometry. A light version would also be dope.

They need to make ones that wont snap before they start worrying about how to make them lighter lol

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2022, 10:43:34 AM »
I’m sorry but 100 dollars for trucks is absolutely ridiculous

Everyone in Europe:

During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 10:48:54 AM »
They should have made a shirt that says DatPiv

mattdlx

• Rep: 165
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2022, 11:32:19 AM »
A real Saab story.

Well played! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
SPB!

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2022, 12:00:20 PM »
look at all the smaller brands of trucks and how many people actually ride them. Krux coming off that NHS network and no one rides them. Ace seemed like a good brand but again no one rides them. You gotta have some big money for marketing to beat out indy, thunder, venture.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2022, 12:12:26 PM »
look at all the smaller brands of trucks and how many people actually ride them. Krux coming off that NHS network and no one rides them. Ace seemed like a good brand but again no one rides them. You gotta have some big money for marketing to beat out indy, thunder, venture.
:o
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2022, 12:26:49 PM »
A real Saab story.

Underrated comment.My First car was my parents 2001 Saab 95. Many skate trips taken and memories in that car.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2022, 01:26:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.acetrucks.com/team

Absolutely stacked.
Including Vinnie Banh apparently, lol.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2022, 01:53:05 PM »
Ace seemed like a good brand but again no one rides them.

It certainly seems as if Ace is being adopted regionally, but where I am I used to be the only one not skating Ace Trucks. Now I’m on Ace again so no worries there.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

roastbeef

• Rep: -47
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2022, 02:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

https://www.acetrucks.com/team

Absolutely stacked.
Including Vinnie Banh apparently, lol.

yeah free trucks for them.. but walk into a shop and see how many they carry compared to the other brands.