Poll

what is the situation that usually gives you flat spots?

Intentional power slides
6 (14%)
Accidentally power-slide out of a trick
8 (18.6%)
Skidding on a rock or something on the ground
12 (27.9%)
Random/Other
5 (11.6%)
I don’t get flat spots
12 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: How do your flat spots usually occur?  (Read 485 times)

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
How do your flat spots usually occur?
« on: February 13, 2024, 12:56:02 PM »
Just flatspotted my F4s today after hitting a rock at the park. Always been curious how this happens to everyone else.

Bupstop

• Rep: 38
Re: How do your flat spots usually occur?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 01:15:34 PM »
I usually get them by landing 90 degrees on board slides and lipslides.

BL0B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 02:07:58 PM »
all of the above, except "I don’t get flat spots".

in the random/other category. board getting dragged by a car or buss can leave some pretty epic flat spots.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 02:37:34 PM »
Honestly have no idea. I powerslide, intentionally and unintentionally, more than one ever needs to, I skid rocks often, rarely get flat spots

When it does happen, it just seems to show up the next time I throw down

Edit: It happens infrequent enough to me that it sounds kinda cool for like 10 minutes, then quickly annoying af
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:15:18 AM by frontsideNECKTIE »
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 03:50:01 PM »
Just flatspotted my F4s today after hitting a rock at the park. Always been curious how this happens to everyone else.

Was it a slippery smooth park or a more coarse ground surface?

Seem to see more smaller flatspots on slippery smooth ground, but they usually go away after a session anyway.

Some of the other big old slides down a road where the wheel just gets stuck in the one spot can give some "game over" kind of flatspots that will never come out, but most of the time that is just unlucky and as long as there is even a little forward movement then the wheel should not stop spinning and shouldn't cause a flatspot.

That said, any and every wheel can get them, even the best or most flatspot resistant wheels, if there is enough force on a wheel that is not spinning at all whatsoever but is still moving along a surface, forwards, sideways or any which way.

Seen a few "board dragged under car" flatspots that are all time, but even one guy who bailed on a vert ramp and got the board stuck under him as he came down put one super solid flatspot in Bones wheels that I had never seen before and was not coming out any time soon either.

Not to hijack this thread, but can people post their flatspotted wheels for viewing (dis)pleasure??

I am sure there would be some epic ones out there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 04:00:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seem to see more smaller flatspots on slippery smooth ground, but they usually go away after a session anyway.

Some of the other big old slides down a road where the wheel just gets stuck in the one spot can give some "game over" kind of flatspots that will never come out, but most of the time that is just unlucky and as long as there is even a little forward movement then the wheel should not stop spinning and shouldn't cause a flatspot.

That said, any and every wheel can get them, even the best or most flatspot resistant wheels, if there is enough force on a wheel that is not spinning at all whatsoever but is still moving along a surface, forwards, sideways or any which way.

Seen a few "board dragged under car" flatspots that are all time, but even one guy who bailed on a vert ramp and got the board stuck under him as he came down put one super solid flatspot in Bones wheels that I had never seen before and was not coming out any time soon either.

Not to hijack this thread, but can people post their flatspotted wheels for viewing (dis)pleasure??

I am sure there would be some epic ones out there.

Reminds me of that clip of Cards and Gerwer bombing that back road and John completely shreds the wheel of the axle. Tent City, if i remember right
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 04:33:16 PM »
As a skater over the age of 35, I am obligated to say, that definitely was from "Tent City".
RIP Ben Raemers

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 04:39:33 PM »
I flatspotted a set of F4 tablets pivoting a fast frontside 180 on fresh blacktop. Been on dragons since they came out, 5+ sets, never flatspotted at all.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 06:39:52 PM »
Failed rocks. Luckily I can handle the big ramp at Lynch screaming down the face at 90° to a crawl.

Formula 4s roll out. Don't worry . It happens fast too. There's literally no damage caused by human power that can take um out.
I scored my ogs really badly right after I got um. I was almost in tears for like .5 seconds. It was like 5mm wide and 5 deep. Took about 2 days to stop feeling it on park ground.
About a week to stop hearing it at the plaza. Couple months to disappear.

If I get wheel damage with an f4 I go skating in the basketball court in the common. No one uses it. Do some hard figure 8s tillit rolls out on the course ground. It fixes first t every t.
Just remember to do a bunch of switch ones too to get max wear on the wound.

I assume bones is the same.

F4 in 99 and 101 is on some Wolverine Regen shit. Trust in what I say. Outdoor bowl probably work too. 
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2024, 07:19:51 PM »
Lip slides on brushed concrete. They weren’t noticeable on asphalt or rougher concrete but on smooth polished concrete they’d brap. Not bad and they’d skate out after a couple hours.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 08:34:08 PM »
It’s always a rock. Usually at a DIY

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 10:31:04 PM »
I usually get them by landing 90 degrees on board slides and lipslides.

Every wheel I've flatspotted has been from this
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2024, 09:06:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is pretty much what happened, smooth concrete and a semi small flat spot.  Ended up skating the street later in the day and i dont think id feel it anymore once i get back to park ground.

Ive had the other type of flat spot before on F4 radials and spent about a month unsuccessfully trying to skate it out, super frusterating

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2024, 09:37:39 AM »
Usually they happen while skating.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.