Author Topic: 8”s grrreat  (Read 9992 times)

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -172
Re: 8”s grrreat
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2022, 03:47:42 AM »
Went skating yesterday with a friend who hasn't been skating for almost 15 years.
I just started back skating in October '21, so I'm still relearning everything.

Since I picked up skateboarding again, it's in my head that the bigger the bigger the board the better.
So I ride a AH 8.5 with Indy 149 trucks. While not even close to landing anything, I'm already thinking about going to 8.75, just to have more landing space and to feel more " safe and secure" regarding that extra width to land on.

But I took my friends old element board yesterday, I think it's a 7.75 and it's ridiculously short, and it was like the deck was glued to my shoes. Proper Ollies up and over stuff, without hardly making an effort. The board did exactly what I wanted.

This got in my head, and now I'm thinking instead of going up in deck size, I need to size down.
Maybe I got brainwashed into thinking that everyone at least skates an 8.25 -8.5 deck...

Can't afford to buy myself a whole new setup right now, but might look out to score a deck somewhere that's 8" . 
I wonder if the 149 trucks will compensate for the loss of deck width when looking at stability...

This is what I found-- in all seriousness on a 8.75 it takes all my strength to ollie up on a curb, on an 8 it feels basically like it did as a kid once I get over thinking my feet are sticking off. Once I got on the 8 I've been able to do low ledge grinds again as well which I thought I was locked out of forever.  Its counterintuitive for sure, but I think given it takes less strength to pop (and most importantly you dont have to slide your front foot as far to get to the nose-- I think that a big thing from an old man mobility perspective) you can focus on directing the board and the pop off is much easier, and then to actually level due to the shorter wheelbase its not that far (so the overall motion looks like a real ollie)  I think it helps me bail as well when I need to, because jumping off is easier.  That said certainly surfing around on a 8.75 with aces "feels" cooler-- I've decided for me that's a "Cruiser"-- through on some 60 mm hard wheels and you have a sick cruiser -- but cmon for kickflips or ledge grinds if your old and weak like me its tough.

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2022, 04:44:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Went skating yesterday with a friend who hasn't been skating for almost 15 years.

Since I picked up skateboarding again, it's in my head that the bigger the bigger the board the better.
So I ride a AH 8.5 with Indy 149 trucks. While not even close to landing anything, I'm already thinking about going to 8.75, just to have more landing space and to feel more " safe and secure" regarding that extra width to land on.

But I took my friends old element board yesterday, I think it's a 7.75 and it's ridiculously short, and it was like the deck was glued to my shoes. Proper Ollies up and over stuff, without hardly making an effort. The board did exactly what I wanted.

This got in my head, and now I'm thinking instead of going up in deck size, I need to size down.
Maybe I got brainwashed into thinking that everyone at least skates an 8.25 -8.5 deck...

Can't afford to buy myself a whole new setup right now, but might look out to score a deck somewhere that's 8" . 
I wonder if the 149 trucks will compensate for the loss of deck width when looking at stability...
[close]

This is what I found-- in all seriousness on a 8.75 it takes all my strength to ollie up on a curb, on an 8 it feels basically like it did as a kid once I get over thinking my feet are sticking off. Once I got on the 8 I've been able to do low ledge grinds again as well which I thought I was locked out of forever.  Its counterintuitive for sure, but I think given it takes less strength to pop (and most importantly you dont have to slide your front foot as far to get to the nose-- I think that a big thing from an old man mobility perspective) you can focus on directing the board and the pop off is much easier, and then to actually level due to the shorter wheelbase its not that far (so the overall motion looks like a real ollie)  I think it helps me bail as well when I need to, because jumping off is easier.  That said certainly surfing around on a 8.75 with aces "feels" cooler-- I've decided for me that's a "Cruiser"-- through on some 60 mm hard wheels and you have a sick cruiser -- but cmon for kickflips or ledge grinds if your old and weak like me its tough.

That's insane you mention those low ledge grinds.. the last couple of weeks I'm trying 5050's again and finding myself having a lot of trouble locking into the ledge. It needs all my focus and strength, and still I'm overshooting the ledge. I always end on top of it. And my guess is that, while the board isn't "too heavy" cause I can pop on top of the ledge, the size of the deck might be too big to handle while doing tricks / aiming for lock in...
I can't put lesser effort into ollieing/grinding the ledges, cause then I'm just bailing out while having the mental block that I won't get up.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2022, 05:27:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That's insane you mention those low ledge grinds.. the last couple of weeks I'm trying 5050's again and finding myself having a lot of trouble locking into the ledge. It needs all my focus and strength, and still I'm overshooting the ledge. I always end on top of it. And my guess is that, while the board isn't "too heavy" cause I can pop on top of the ledge, the size of the deck might be too big to handle while doing tricks / aiming for lock in...
I can't put lesser effort into ollieing/grinding the ledges, cause then I'm just bailing out while having the mental block that I won't get up.

Exactly-- I could huck myself up there with a bigger deck, but weirdly even though the truck space is much smaller on 139s, I actually have a chance to properly line my body up in the air and land on the grind instead of overshooting.  It just feels like less of a "huck"-- I still have to engage fully, but feels more controlled (maybe is a wheelbase thing too-- because its easier to get the slide part of the ollie done quickly and your foot in the right place to land on the obstacle-- on bigger wheelbase boards I didn't have enough time to do so)..  I immediately realized when I got on an 8 and then could easily curb stall grind with 0 effort versus on the 8.75 and thereabouts was having trouble even doing that-- could ollie up curbs but would overshoot grinds.  On the 8 my feet can sort of predict where exactly they need to be on the bolts to actually line up with the edge, and actually get the Ollie done in time to be leveled out at the edge.  Again, its really weird because approaching the obstacle feels way more delicate on the smaller board, but once I forced myself to do it, actually getting into the grind and off was 1000% easier (for me at least).  Again, I'm not sure if this was due to actual muscle strength or just remembering what it felt like on an 8.  That said, on a 7.75 I seem to start to miss again.  Take all with a grain of salt-- im a terrible skateboarder ha.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2022, 05:29:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Doing an 8.125 Snack with 149 Indy (since Nawrocki skates 8in/149) and it's working out great. Typically prefer 8.5+, but the 149's help a lot with control and confidence as opposed to 139 imo.
[close]

Interesting. Have you tried 144s with an 8 or 8.125 shape? And if so, would you prefer the 149 > 144
[close]

I was considering trying 144's on 8/8.125 but am trying to stop the gear madness and switch to 139.  I've heard putting a bunch of washers in the 139s can have a similar effect without feeling like a boat, but curious what folks feel.  I've actually never skated 144s (had 8.25 sized aces, and have run 149s on 8-8.75 size while trying things out).  Curious if folks notice a real difference 144 on 8.125 versus 139-- maybe grids marginally easier but flipping harder?  Ultimately I think I should just stick with 139 as the timing of the pop feels like a 90s board even though the grind space does feel small.
[close]

Take what I say with an even bigger helping of salt because my truck madness likely borders on being a legitimate condition with a psychiatric diagnosis, but just stick with the 139s unless you really think you can take advantage of the extra grind space

Just stick with whatever trucks you have on hand. I've tried 139s and 144s on an 8.125 and the performance differences really are minimal to the point where it might be in my head

For me the biggest mental hurdle with 144s was just knowing my axles were wider than the board. I'm a headcase

If you have 139s on hand, try three washers on the inside of each wheel before spending money on the 144s. The four extra mm you'll get that way is approximately .125" so that will put you right in the middle of 139s and 144s

I'm going to try the washer trick-- I think that may do it for me. I have tons of extra washers and hadn't thought of this.  Frankly I ride 0 washers even though terrible for the bearings (90s kid at heart-- was the age of "no extra metal stuff on your board").

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2022, 05:32:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Alien/Habitat 8 is currently my favorite, and I'm on one right now. Have 3 or 4 others on ice too. But I did break my leg on this one lol.
[close]
Are most of the Alien/Habitat 8's usually 14.0 or 14.25" wb? I've seen them listed at several shops with 14.0, 14.25, and even 14.375. I'll probably end up trying the 8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0 shape
[close]

Most of them are listed at 14.25 and only a few of the 8.0s are listed at 14. Oddly enough more of the 8.125s are listed at 14. I just went to measure them and realized I'm an idiot and don't actually know how they measure wheelbase. Is it from the bottoms of the drilled holes? Middle? Top?

Weird-- I'm seeing this now as well.  Definitely I've been doing the 14 ones lately-- seems like more of the Habitats are 14 but its a mix.  I'm realizing now I have a 40 dollar sale deck on the way that claims to be 14.25 8 inch from habitat though.  I'm going to put them next to each other when I get them.  But yeah, seems to be a mix-- I must have just randomly hit a spate where I was seeing the 14 only.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2022, 06:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Alien/Habitat 8 is currently my favorite, and I'm on one right now. Have 3 or 4 others on ice too. But I did break my leg on this one lol.
[close]
Are most of the Alien/Habitat 8's usually 14.0 or 14.25" wb? I've seen them listed at several shops with 14.0, 14.25, and even 14.375. I'll probably end up trying the 8.125 X 31.5 WB 14.0 shape
[close]

Most of them are listed at 14.25 and only a few of the 8.0s are listed at 14. Oddly enough more of the 8.125s are listed at 14. I just went to measure them and realized I'm an idiot and don't actually know how they measure wheelbase. Is it from the bottoms of the drilled holes? Middle? Top?
[close]

Weird-- I'm seeing this now as well.  Definitely I've been doing the 14 ones lately-- seems like more of the Habitats are 14 but its a mix.  I'm realizing now I have a 40 dollar sale deck on the way that claims to be 14.25 8 inch from habitat though.  I'm going to put them next to each other when I get them.  But yeah, seems to be a mix-- I must have just randomly hit a spate where I was seeing the 14 only.

My boy Ben Degros tells me in his video that wheelbase is measured from the middle of the bolts so I decided to measure them. I have 4 right now two Alien and two Habitat. They're all pretty dead on 14.25. Just looked through both the Alien and Habitat websites and the only 8 I see listed currently with a 14 wheelbase is the Suciu Topographic board. I'm on the venture 5.2 Lo V-lights right now and I've really liked it. But I've been on these trucks for years now so I'm very used to them. I just got some Royal 139 ultra lights that I'm going to set up soon. First time with Royals in probably 10 years so I'm very curious to see how they feel. Slap convinced me to give them a try so I really hope they feel good on an 8 with 14.25 wheelbase. Y'all have given me the madness I guess.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2022, 08:03:39 AM »
Interesting-- it seems like the Habitat basic team logo board is 14 on mine and the alien "OG logo" at least the run I had, but yeah one I thought was 14 seems to be 14.25.  I may not be able to notice on the 8 inch.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -62
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »

Honestly, I think the whole "landing space" thing is all in people's heads.
I'm 6'4 with size 12 feet and I've never had an issue landing on my deck.
It's funny though, I get the exact opposite mind games. I get uncomfortable with wide decks when I don't want to land on it, like when you're bailing out of a trick and just want the board to get the hell away from you, it's harder to get away from a 8.5!

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
It's funny though, I get the exact opposite mind games. I get uncomfortable with wide decks when I don't want to land on it, like when you're bailing out of a trick and just want the board to get the hell away from you, it's harder to get away from a 8.5!

THIS. Even on an 8.25, I feel like I can't get rid of my board fast enough if things get sketchy mid trick

Doosh215

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2022, 10:03:39 AM »
Interesting-- it seems like the Habitat basic team logo board is 14 on mine and the alien "OG logo" at least the run I had, but yeah one I thought was 14 seems to be 14.25.  I may not be able to notice on the 8 inch.

I just found an older Habitat setup and measured that one too which is also 14.25. Here's a pic of the ones I measured for reference is that helps at all.

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2022, 11:09:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

I’m size 8.5 feet
But the reason behind the ability not getting away from your deck makes also a lot of sense! Never thought about it that way. What a “great” perspective!!
Really need to get out and buy a 8” deck now

Thebird

• Rep: 152
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2022, 05:46:28 AM »
I've been switching setups frequently lately, but after reading this thread last week, I pulled out the 8 for the weekend and it felt great.  I'm also around 6'3 with size 12 feet, but I really feel like I have so much more control of my board with this size setup.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2022, 10:14:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just found an older Habitat setup and measured that one too which is also 14.25. Here's a pic of the ones I measured for reference is that helps at all.

Pretty weird-- im looking online and it seems like only 14 inch wheelbase habitat decks listed are completes.  In hindsight, some of what I thought were regular pod and leaf type decks must have been from a reseller that was breaking up complete decks and I got sold on.  I guess 40 dollar regular team decks in person is too good to be true ha.  Honestly they were nice and fun, but every deck I currently have that I actually measured seems to be 14.25-- and these I got from either Tactics or Habitat directly.  Sorry to confuse everyone!  This actually makes a lot of sense as I thought the more recent ones I got seemed "bigger" ha. 

Also, I am originally from south jersey/philly area and now live NYC region, but was back in Philly this weekend.  Can confirm  rough penns landing "spots" from my childhood still work on 8 inch decks-- purposely didn't bring a bigger one even though I was staying and primarily going to be around those really rough spots near the Korean War monumet/south street.  Managed to walk by muni with the fam, but all my 215 skate sessions were very quick/early morning around pennslanding.   I haven't skated around society hill in probably 20 years and tried to approach the sculpture marble ledge as the 8 inch deck took me back in time.  Wasn't even close to managing to pop into it with how rough the street was.  Had fun on the stairs, hills, etc by penns landing near south street though!   

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 302
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2022, 10:35:57 AM »
damn thought I would have another 8" with 14" wb option, but as mentioned, the 8.125 alien/habitat shape seems great.

If anyone cares, here are some 8" with 14" wb options I personally like
- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2022, 12:14:08 PM »
to add to the list, DOA's 8" are also 14"wb

notinternetfamous

« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2022, 12:48:54 PM »
to add to the list, DOA's 8" are also 14"wb
good to know! i would like to try out the flat as fuck shape one day.
Yea that list are just some options that I like. Dwindle brands makes 8" with 14" wb too, but I prefer BBS wood over DSM

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2022, 01:40:39 PM »
I've had some nice hydrodipped 8 inch 14 wheelbase pennswood decks. In general I think a lot are 14 inch.

Doosh215

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2022, 03:05:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Pretty weird-- im looking online and it seems like only 14 inch wheelbase habitat decks listed are completes.  In hindsight, some of what I thought were regular pod and leaf type decks must have been from a reseller that was breaking up complete decks and I got sold on.  I guess 40 dollar regular team decks in person is too good to be true ha.  Honestly they were nice and fun, but every deck I currently have that I actually measured seems to be 14.25-- and these I got from either Tactics or Habitat directly.  Sorry to confuse everyone!  This actually makes a lot of sense as I thought the more recent ones I got seemed "bigger" ha. 

Also, I am originally from south jersey/philly area and now live NYC region, but was back in Philly this weekend.  Can confirm  rough penns landing "spots" from my childhood still work on 8 inch decks-- purposely didn't bring a bigger one even though I was staying and primarily going to be around those really rough spots near the Korean War monumet/south street.  Managed to walk by muni with the fam, but all my 215 skate sessions were very quick/early morning around pennslanding.   I haven't skated around society hill in probably 20 years and tried to approach the sculpture marble ledge as the 8 inch deck took me back in time.  Wasn't even close to managing to pop into it with how rough the street was.  Had fun on the stairs, hills, etc by penns landing near south street though!

Yeah I've wanted to try a 14" wheelbase so I picked up a Girl Breana Geering board which I'm going to set up soon. Maybe if I don't like that I'll grab the Suciu topographic board that has the 14" WB. I need to get back and skate Philly soon. Also a Philly area guy living in NYC.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2022, 07:07:04 PM »
damn thought I would have another 8" with 14" wb option, but as mentioned, the 8.125 alien/habitat shape seems great.

- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045

I just set up a magenta 8 x 31.5x 14wb
after skating two G045's in a row the bbs wood feels good

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2022, 08:43:53 PM »
Expand Quote

- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045
[close]

Passport 8's are also 14" I've been skating one since the beginning of the summer and it's been great.

Props to GISM for the recommendation.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2022, 05:20:58 AM »
Expand Quote

- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045
[close]

How do you like the magenta?  My main issue with the magenta I have (I have only tried one) is the nose seems too long or shovel for me-- just something with the pocket doesn't feel in right place on the nose.  In the picture online it looked more like an alien/habitat nose.  That said, for those looking for that type of nose it may work and the quality of the deck seems good.  It felt somewhat like a GX1000 shape to me, but on BBS wood, so not as flex.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2022, 06:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045
[close]

[close]

How do you like the magenta?  My main issue with the magenta I have (I have only tried one) is the nose seems too long or shovel for me-- just something with the pocket doesn't feel in right place on the nose.  In the picture online it looked more like an alien/habitat nose.  That said, for those looking for that type of nose it may work and the quality of the deck seems good.  It felt somewhat like a GX1000 shape to me, but on BBS wood, so not as flex.

BBS wood 8"x14" has always treated me well. Either fullSE Real or Magenta work well for me, but I prefer Magenta since they tapper a little, especially on the tail. These three have been my whips over the past 4-5 months. Top pics are from the Jameel Douglas magenta and the Real deck for comparison

(Sorry for the big ass fotos, dunno how to resize when linkin from imgur) cheers 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:53:00 AM by Mcidraque »

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2022, 02:18:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045
[close]

[close]

Mine is the big brush team board. I like it its pretty mellow , I would get another

Magenta site says they have changed their 8 shape to make it steeper in their latest series

I've still got a gx1000 14wb one that I bought two months ago nose is definitely bigger than the Magenta

Cheers for the photos I thought the dlx 8.06 had a large wheelbase so I never looked at those
Good to know another 14wb full out there

notinternetfamous

« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2022, 03:58:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

- Frog
- Magenta
- Crailtap G018, G045
[close]

[close]

[close]

Mine is the big brush team board. I like it its pretty mellow , I would get another

Magenta site says they have changed their 8 shape to make it steeper in their latest series

I've still got a gx1000 14wb one that I bought two months ago nose is definitely bigger than the Magenta

Cheers for the photos I thought the dlx 8.06 had a large wheelbase so I never looked at those
Good to know another 14wb full out there
the standard 8.06" dlx shape is 14.38" wb. the SE shapes are the ones with the shorter wb

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -377
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2022, 06:33:30 PM »
I don't skate nearly as much anymore but thought I'd try a smaller than 8 deck a few years ago for shits and giggles to see if I could get some flip tricks back. I'm not even big but the shit felt so small. I couldn't skate it and gave it to my buddies daughter. I'll skate a boat over a toothpick 100% of the time.

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2022, 05:46:04 AM »
I don't skate nearly as much anymore but thought I'd try a smaller than 8 deck a few years ago for shits and giggles to see if I could get some flip tricks back. I'm not even big but the shit felt so small. I couldn't skate it and gave it to my buddies daughter. I'll skate a boat over a toothpick 100% of the time.

Interestingly it seems like most people in this thread are taller/bigger (I'm 6 foot) and maybe in mid 30s to mid 40s and actually lived through the small board years, so just like it.  Is the 8 inch board revolution really being led by taller guys not afraid to skate a "toothpick" ha. Yes, I constantly get people of all ages asking me how I'm riding a toothpick in basically all settings now-- skateparks, random street spots, ages range from 14 to 55.  No, I'm not going to do more squats so I can ollie high on an 8.75 :)

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2022, 07:58:39 AM »
I'm 5'7 with size 9 feet. I'm still shocked at how many guys around my height are on what I consider to be big boards (+8.25). Looks really snowboard-y, especially with longer wheelbases.

I tried 8.25s for a while and could still get my board to do a lot of things I wanted, but definitely with a lot more effort. I recently took 144s off the 8.25 Palace I'm on and put 139s on. Feels way better already. I'm definitely going back down to 8.0/8.125. I think the added control I get with a smaller board is a much better advantage than whatever stability the extra .25 in size gives me. The best skating of my life was done on 7.875/8.0.

I think it's sick that tall guys are willing to try smaller boards. Tall guy style reigns supreme imho.

Some inspo for you lanky mfers on small boards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn3Hqz6V5AY

SpuytenDuvyilEphemera

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2022, 09:35:39 AM »
I'm 5'7 with size 9 feet. I'm still shocked at how many guys around my height are on what I consider to be big boards (+8.25). Looks really snowboard-y, especially with longer wheelbases.

I tried 8.25s for a while and could still get my board to do a lot of things I wanted, but definitely with a lot more effort. I recently took 144s off the 8.25 Palace I'm on and put 139s on. Feels way better already. I'm definitely going back down to 8.0/8.125. I think the added control I get with a smaller board is a much better advantage than whatever stability the extra .25 in size gives me. The best skating of my life was done on 7.875/8.0.

I think it's sick that tall guys are willing to try smaller boards. Tall guy style reigns supreme imho.

Some inspo for you lanky mfers on small boards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn3Hqz6V5AY

Nice this is great-- I've never heard of this guy before, so appreciate the share.  This kind of style is my fantasy ha.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2022, 09:57:54 AM »
I also love how casually Aleka tosses his board around.  Does anyone actually know what his setup is?  It looks like 7.75, venture lows and some 50ish wheels.  But since he's taller maybe it's actually larger.

notinternetfamous

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2022, 01:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Interestingly it seems like most people in this thread are taller/bigger (I'm 6 foot) and maybe in mid 30s to mid 40s and actually lived through the small board years, so just like it.  Is the 8 inch board revolution really being led by taller guys not afraid to skate a "toothpick" ha. Yes, I constantly get people of all ages asking me how I'm riding a toothpick in basically all settings now-- skateparks, random street spots, ages range from 14 to 55.  No, I'm not going to do more squats so I can ollie high on an 8.75 :)
lol i'm a short dude and i did not live through the small board years. i did spend 7 years on 7.75 though and I also went thru the 8.25 phase a little before finally settling on 8.0/8.125 shapes for good. it's all preference at the end of the day and i think its cool to see different size boards in the wild.