Author Topic: 8”s grrreat  (Read 9989 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: 8”s grrreat
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2023, 12:43:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
I ended up going up to the AntiHero 8.4 for awhile but now it’s starting to seem a bit oversized. Matched it up to some 8.25 ( which is my typical size) and the difference is barely noticeable. Any tapered shape 8.125 always looks to small but I did stand on a Habitat 8.125 that I think I like. Would the blunt shape of the Habitat make a difference or is this an optical illusion I’m going to end up regretting?
[close]

For transition it doesn't work for me that well, but habitat 8.125 is so nice for trying to relearn flip tricks.  I do tend to think their 8s feel bigger (still normal 14.25 wheelbase, but more room on the nose).  Most other 8s I can barely stand on, but Habitat or AWS while still feeling small I can do small quarters or whatever in addition to flat ground/curbs.   Still prefer bigger for general skating but 8 is perfect size to flip board IMO (that said, may be because I learned flip tricks originally on an 8 inch alien back in the day).   I have an 8.125 Habitat yellow logo board and 8 white logo and both feel roomy for size.
[close]

Thanks for the reply on this. I’m still on the fence. The 14 wheelbase tends to feel a bit cramped for me. I’m only 5’10” with a 30” inseam so 14 would be ideal if it wasn’t for the size 11 shoes :D 14.125 wheelbase is doable for some reason though.
[close]

I've seen 8 inch habitats with 14 wheelbase but not as much recently.  All the ones ive gotten recently Habitat or Alien are 14.25.  Their (alien/habitat direct websites) generally has reliable measurements for the current decks.  Just a little roomier with the big nose.  That said for general transition I'm on the 8.75 alien still (also 14.25 wheelbase but thing is huge length wise), but the 8 inch feels normal size.  I have an Alien 7.8 that honestly feels roomy in the nose as well- if you compare to a normal size BBS like Magenta at same size, it feels huge.  That said- they are not "flat" as someone mentioned above IMO (obviously a subjective term) that some other 90s legacy brands are making.  They are medium, BBS, with larger nose.  I like that their wheelbase is pretty predictable across sizes.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm currently riding a Polar 8.5x32.125, been riding the deluxe 8.5x31.8 boards before but I think I like the added length on the Polar more. Been thinking of switching to an 8.0/8.125 but noticed that the lengths are pretty short (usually around 31.5-31.75). Is the shortened length an issue for any of you? Is a longer length on a thinner board a bad combo?
[close]

One of the reasons why I started skating 8"s more regularly is because I found that the shortened length made a huge difference for me and my short legs. IMO board length is one of the probably the most important aspect of how a deck skates which never gets talked about.
[close]

Right up there with WB (for obvious overall length reasons) for me. Anything between 31.75 and 31.875 is on point, 31.5 is much too short for me and I find my front foot always creeping up into the front pocket to widen my stance.
[close]

Length is an underrated spec. My large window is 31-32”, but I probably prefer 31.25-31.5+…ish. I suck, and I’ll just adjust if I give a setup enough time.
I’m with many snakes, when I say 8, it’s really that 8s tend to be around 31.5, 14-14.25 wb. And hopefully flat.

I can do 31.9/32" but not with an 8<->8.25, feels weird, too long and skinny....even then at 8.3-8.5 I still prefer 31.875 ish.  That's why dlx/baker are not my go to for 8.25s.

The weirder thing is that 8" Thunders work for me better than 148/149, next to no wheelbite (stock bottom/NFG hard low top)..it has me questioning my truck collection :) hell everything since I usually skate 8.25+
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 01:07:27 PM by Xen »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
I ended up going up to the AntiHero 8.4 for awhile but now it’s starting to seem a bit oversized. Matched it up to some 8.25 ( which is my typical size) and the difference is barely noticeable. Any tapered shape 8.125 always looks to small but I did stand on a Habitat 8.125 that I think I like. Would the blunt shape of the Habitat make a difference or is this an optical illusion I’m going to end up regretting?
[close]

For transition it doesn't work for me that well, but habitat 8.125 is so nice for trying to relearn flip tricks.  I do tend to think their 8s feel bigger (still normal 14.25 wheelbase, but more room on the nose).  Most other 8s I can barely stand on, but Habitat or AWS while still feeling small I can do small quarters or whatever in addition to flat ground/curbs.   Still prefer bigger for general skating but 8 is perfect size to flip board IMO (that said, may be because I learned flip tricks originally on an 8 inch alien back in the day).   I have an 8.125 Habitat yellow logo board and 8 white logo and both feel roomy for size.
[close]

Thanks for the reply on this. I’m still on the fence. The 14 wheelbase tends to feel a bit cramped for me. I’m only 5’10” with a 30” inseam so 14 would be ideal if it wasn’t for the size 11 shoes :D 14.125 wheelbase is doable for some reason though.
[close]

I've seen 8 inch habitats with 14 wheelbase but not as much recently.  All the ones ive gotten recently Habitat or Alien are 14.25.  Their (alien/habitat direct websites) generally has reliable measurements for the current decks.  Just a little roomier with the big nose.  That said for general transition I'm on the 8.75 alien still (also 14.25 wheelbase but thing is huge length wise), but the 8 inch feels normal size.  I have an Alien 7.8 that honestly feels roomy in the nose as well- if you compare to a normal size BBS like Magenta at same size, it feels huge.  That said- they are not "flat" as someone mentioned above IMO (obviously a subjective term) that some other 90s legacy brands are making.  They are medium, BBS, with larger nose.  I like that their wheelbase is pretty predictable across sizes.
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm currently riding a Polar 8.5x32.125, been riding the deluxe 8.5x31.8 boards before but I think I like the added length on the Polar more. Been thinking of switching to an 8.0/8.125 but noticed that the lengths are pretty short (usually around 31.5-31.75). Is the shortened length an issue for any of you? Is a longer length on a thinner board a bad combo?
[close]

One of the reasons why I started skating 8"s more regularly is because I found that the shortened length made a huge difference for me and my short legs. IMO board length is one of the probably the most important aspect of how a deck skates which never gets talked about.
[close]

Right up there with WB (for obvious overall length reasons) for me. Anything between 31.75 and 31.875 is on point, 31.5 is much too short for me and I find my front foot always creeping up into the front pocket to widen my stance.
[close]

Length is an underrated spec. My large window is 31-32”, but I probably prefer 31.25-31.5+…ish. I suck, and I’ll just adjust if I give a setup enough time.
I’m with many snakes, when I say 8, it’s really that 8s tend to be around 31.5, 14-14.25 wb. And hopefully flat.
[close]

I can do 31.9/32" but not with an 8<->8.25, feels weird, too long and skinny....even then at 8.3-8.5 I still prefer 31.875 ish.  That's why dlx/baker are not my go to for 8.25s.

The weirder thing is that 8" Thunders work for me better than 148/149, next to no wheelbite (stock bottom/NFG hard low top)..it has me questioning my truck collection :) hell everything since I usually skate 8.25+

I really really like 147s. I like thunders in general, but 147s are my favorite from that brand.
These days, for me, I’m more into just riding whatever with whatever. 147s** on a 7.8? 8.25? Sure. As long as my feet hold up and I have a free moment I’m kinda into whatever setup. I have absolutely given up tho.

** I’m usually on venture lo’s, but if I’m not it’s 147s.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2023, 04:53:55 AM »

I went with this Real Ishod. 8.12 with a 14” wheelbase. I was riding Indy last time I tried 14” wheelbase but now I’m riding Thunder so I think it should work.

hiljentaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2023, 11:34:31 AM »
I resetup a Real 8.06 with a 13.9" wb. It was from before the True Fit series. I loved this board on 5.2 Venture hi lights, but now I have 5.2 lows on it. Super mellow IV stamp, not full kicks.

I ordered a Mini Logo 8" after listening to some of the DOA podcast. I am excited to try it. Mellow, fuller kicks, and stoked to skate a blank hah.

I also have a 8" Baker B2. Skated it briefly but I'm not sure... Will have to revisit it later on.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2023, 05:10:32 PM »
Got an 8.13 because it was on sale. Liked it enough to grab an 8” Element from another sale. I’ve been riding 8.5 for a while, mainly cruising. Been in my own head for a year or two after breaking my elbow, but I’m feeling confident again and want to get some tricks back.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2023, 07:35:02 AM »
I resetup a Real 8.06 with a 13.9" wb. It was from before the True Fit series. I loved this board on 5.2 Venture hi lights, but now I have 5.2 lows on it. Super mellow IV stamp, not full kicks.

I ordered a Mini Logo 8" after listening to some of the DOA podcast. I am excited to try it. Mellow, fuller kicks, and stoked to skate a blank hah.

I also have a 8" Baker B2. Skated it briefly but I'm not sure... Will have to revisit it later on.

i’m interested in the mini logo 8, feels fucked to type that out. i want a flat board, the flattest really.

@Richard Skidder that graphic is nice, and in a real too

Richard Skidder

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2023, 07:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i’m interested in the mini logo 8, feels fucked to type that out. i want a flat board, the flattest really.

Thanks @ok  I enjoyed it quite a bit and wanted to skate it into nothingness but it warped pretty badly. That combined with bent axles on both trucks made it feel like being on a wavy train track when going straight. I rode it this way for a month!

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2023, 11:38:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks @ok  I enjoyed it quite a bit and wanted to skate it into nothingness but it warped pretty badly. That combined with bent axles on both trucks made it feel like being on a wavy train track when going straight. I rode it this way for a month!

damn it. that sounds cursed as hell. you are ah…real one for legging it out for a month on that shit.

Richard Skidder

« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

damn it. that sounds cursed as hell. you are ah…real one for legging it out for a month on that shit.

I feel like I’ve been one to make excuses and mentally blame my gear even though I know better. Had to put in a solid effort and make it work. Will I be a better skater because of it? Nah, but I do feel less wasteful.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2023, 12:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel like I’ve been one to make excuses and mentally blame my gear even though I know better. Had to put in a solid effort and make it work. Will I be a better skater because of it? Nah, but I do feel less wasteful.

actually i think staying with just one does make me better. maybe. not necessarily more fun, but the consistency has to help

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2023, 11:53:58 AM »
Thinking of grabbing a Magenta which has for
Me, a clean size in 31.5” Length and 14” wb. What’s a good truck for flat ground and carving with ? I have some 85a Magenta wheels I want to throw on for slides and carving.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2023, 12:30:09 PM »
Thinking of grabbing a Magenta which has for
Me, a clean size in 31.5” Length and 14” wb. What’s a good truck for flat ground and carving with ? I have some 85a Magenta wheels I want to throw on for slides and carving.
Magenta 8 is with 14.125 wb, but the feel is not that different from the 14 wb decks with the same length. My previous deck was Magenta 8 and it happened to be from the new steeper decks which in the begining caused me some hard time popping, but later when mellowed a bit was super good. I liked it with royals, i guess thunder 147 would also be sweet. Anyways, those magenta 85 wheels doesn't slide  a shit. A lil homie here has a set and it is nice soft feel for cruizing around, but... maaaan they stick like hell.

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2023, 01:08:54 PM »
Shit, well I guess I’ll be doing some cruising and carving and working on my flat ground . All good.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve skated some Mini Logo decks and they were always fine. Better than a lot of other budget decks, and sincerely one of the best flipping decks I ever skated.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2023, 02:15:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’ve skated some Mini Logo decks and they were always fine. Better than a lot of other budget decks, and sincerely one of the best flipping decks I ever skated.

Which trucks did you skate them with?
I’m contemplating a mini logo just to feel out the shape before committing to a flight. I’ll have to go get new truck either way as what I have on hand is too big.
What will the difference be between indie’s and ventures, on the same deck. Same axle width as well. Cast Indy or Venture highs with 1/16” riser.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2023, 05:58:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which trucks did you skate them with?
I’m contemplating a mini logo just to feel out the shape before committing to a flight. I’ll have to go get new truck either way as what I have on hand is too big.
What will the difference be between indie’s and ventures, on the same deck. Same axle width as well. Cast Indy or Venture highs with 1/16” riser.

Indy standard 139d or 144s. Don’t remember exactly.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2024, 07:19:11 PM »
anyone skated an 8” deck recently that they’d care to recommend?

looking at an 8” april cuz yuto.
i’ve been skating wider decks/trucks lately, but trying to commit to one set of 8” trucks, for the month.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2024, 09:57:23 PM »
@ok Girl G045 or Powell/mini logo 242
Both 14 wb and around 31.5

I like those two shapes at the moment

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2024, 11:34:59 PM »

i’ve been skating wider decks/trucks lately, but trying to commit to one set of 8” trucks, for the month.
I skated a GX1000 and it was pretty nice, enjoyed it but got bored quite fast
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2024, 02:21:42 AM »

The 8.0” BBS shape that Sci-Fi uses has pretty nice dimensions.  Nothing special necessarily, but I’ve had a couple of them this year and always enjoyed skating the shape (compared to some other 8.0’s). 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2024, 06:49:31 AM »
appreciate the responses

Fast_Freddie

• Rep: 58
    • SOMD Skateboard Association avatar image
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2024, 07:47:24 AM »
I have religiously been skating Real Ishod Twin Tail in the 8.0 x 31.5, but the 14.3 WB can be a bit much. 
I have also tried the welcome 8.0 Evil Twin, I liked that deck to to slightly smaller wheel base but is a tad harder to get.
Chocolate just released a Chris Roberts 8.0 twin, and I ordered a few of those to try as well... supposed to be a 14" WB

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2024, 07:18:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

it must be tough being this evolved.  maybe a spot of caviar is more fine-tuned for your tastes monsieur.  also, felt this way about your mom.

flamed.  here you dropped this, L

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2024, 08:19:44 AM »

I've been skating an 8" Primitive, which I think I read here is basically the same shape as the April 8". It's got a pointier nose and tail than I am used to, but otherwise I very much like the deck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2024, 08:53:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been skating an 8" Primitive, which I think I read here is basically the same shape as the April 8". It's got a pointier nose and tail than I am used to, but otherwise I very much like the deck.

af1 44s?

i like pointy, feels correct. i love(d) the classic baker shape. toy machine boards too, that pointy crispy feeling.
with an 8, much more willing to skate full shapes, compared to when i’m skating larger sizes, and the full shapes starts to feel like too much

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2024, 08:55:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

it must be tough being this evolved.  maybe a spot of caviar is more fine-tuned for your tastes monsieur.  also, felt this way about your mom.

i love the h8

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2024, 09:03:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

af1 44s?

i like pointy, feels correct. i love(d) the classic baker shape. toy machine boards too, that pointy crispy feeling.
with an 8, much more willing to skate full shapes, compared to when i’m skating larger sizes, and the full shapes starts to feel like too much

Yeah, 44s. I have always steered away from pointy noses, but any time I actually skate one, it doesn't bother me at all.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2024, 09:03:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Username checks.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

smg1138

• Rep: 26
« Reply #178 on: February 14, 2024, 08:41:24 AM »
Anybody else still skating the Crail G008 shape? I recently got a Kenny Anderson Dream Rodeo and am really enjoying it. I thought going back down to an 8" deck would be weird, but with the 14.25" wheelbase it feels really nice on Indy 139's. Skating this setup feels like cheating after being on 8.5's for so long.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: February 14, 2024, 12:45:44 PM »
Anybody else still skating the Crail G008 shape? I recently got a Kenny Anderson Dream Rodeo and am really enjoying it. I thought going back down to an 8" deck would be weird, but with the 14.25" wheelbase it feels really nice on Indy 139's. Skating this setup feels like cheating after being on 8.5's for so long.

i’ve somehow never skated this one, or if i have, it’s been so long i don’t recall.
the ‘regular’ length and wheelbase of this shape seems pleasant. i skate smaller boards, but they are often twitchy and uncomfortable, for anything other than slow flatground skating.

and it is shocking to not have to put three or four life bars behind a kickflip attempt.

thanks for the recommendation