Author Topic: Bratislava, Slovakia  (Read 446 times)

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
Bratislava, Slovakia
« on: June 11, 2022, 12:21:19 AM »
I know this is kind of short notice but me and a friend are going backpacking in Europe at the end of summer. Of course, we're bringing our boards.

We were originally going to go to Amsterdam, and stay at hostels, but we figured there is just way too many Americans there; we really want to immerse ourself in the overseas experience, not just a watered down version of the States. So we got over that.

Then we changed our focus to Barcelona, for obvious reasons -- we've never been there before, it's a skate mecca and our friend has a flat there.

But then we ran into this guy last weekend at a house party who really sold us on Eastern Europe, Slovakia in particular.

He said that there's a sick city that has the best skate spots, just random, perfect granite ledges, pretty much untouched, right outside Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. He says it's like an uncovered treasure trove of skate spots out there that no one even knows about.

Besides, he told us Barcelona is full of Americans, so what's the point, you know. Slovakia evidently has barely any Americans.  He specifically pointed us towards this little known hostel over there which he claims absolutely needs to be experienced.

In addition to the skate spots, oh, man, the chicks are of the hook, bro. I got a little thing for Eastern Euro ladies so it's appealing. He showed us some pictures of the level of magnificent hotties out there and he wasn't joking around.  Babe country. "Go East," he said.

Anyways, the hostel is unlisted, it's not like in the guide book, but, like I said, the guy assures us that there are a lot of really attractive women there at the hostel that go absolutely crazy for foreigners, especially American men. I guess they love our accents and, due to the war, there are basically zero local guys there.  Plus, it's "heaps cheap."

Idk but he made it sound really appealing, so we're changing our itinerary to go to this Slovakian hostel and skate those ledges!

Has anyone here ever visited Bratislava? Or anywhere in Slovakia, for that matter? Where are the skate spots? We generally skate ledges and banks (not really interested in rails). What sort of food/restaurants would you suggest? Any other tips? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 01:12:20 AM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

35mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 27
Re: Bratislava, Slovakia
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 03:41:00 AM »
I'll answer part by part. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Have you ever been to Europe? I am assuming that you haven't because calling Amsterdam 'a watered down version of the States' is straight out disrespectful. A random street in Amsterdam may predate the foundation of the US. The same goes for Barcelona. Yes, you are bound to find tourists in the touristic places. Yes, some of them will be from the US. The most touristic spots (restaurants, bars, etc) may cater to the tourists and sell a fake experience. Don't fall in the tourist traps.

I have never been to Slovakia but it sounds like the guy you talked to was full of shit.

Having to wax and do prep work on a random granite ledge in the outskirts of Bratislava doesn't seem appealing at all when you can go to world known spots in London, Paris, Barcelona, Berlin, Prague,...

The whole Slovakian girls stuff you have written sounds kinda smug. If you are good looking and know how to flirt you will get by, like everywhere else.

'due to the war, there are basically zero local guys there'. What war are you talking about exactly? WW2? You know that Slovakia and Ukraine are different countries, right?

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 04:48:21 AM »
I’m definitely not local but I took a day trip to Bratislava from Vienna back in late summer 2019. I specifically went for skating and sightseeing. I did a good amount of research but didn’t find much to skate at all. Aside from the Slavin war memorial, I didn’t find any perfect plazas. The brutalist architecture was very cool to see. If you want to skate, I definitely would opt for Vienna. Though it’s more expensive. Budapest isn’t too far, which is also another option. Budapest is very cheap, better for skating than Bratislava and is a party destination for many.
I’m not sure how old you are but if women and skating are your focus I would just go to Barcelona. It’s a university town and there are so many beautiful women everywhere it’s insane, every time I’ve gone it’s the highest concentration i have noticed. Especially during the summer. I’m older so it’s a little demoralizing to be around it. Avoiding American tourists in the summer anywhere seems impossible.  It’s gonna be fucked up crowded and hot.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 07:50:34 AM »
I’m not sure how old you are but if women and skating are your focus I would just go to Barcelona.

I'm 38 and gonna be a pro skater.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 09:35:58 PM »
Let me know if you’re interested in torturing young american tourists. My rates are cheap.

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 02:06:59 AM »
been a few times in bratislava since its super close to my hometown vienna.
it´s quite nice there but it defenitely wouldn´t be my top destination if I had to chose one city in europe.
as already mentioned there are hardly any good spots - never heard of the granite ledge spot... not sure about that...

I would much rather visit vienna. its such a underrated city. good spots, good swimming locations, good flat but a bit pricy
just a few examples:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd6NMJwgb05/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfFdkeUJsXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdxmEGdARAI&t=394s