Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86373 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1481
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2022, 10:58:11 PM »
I’m on the sexy ventures.

Last year, I was bouncing between modded theeves, ace, tensor, and mindy baseplate with regular hangers. Oh, and some thunders with ace barrel bottom.

For now, the venture lo’s have stock red bushing, krux ikp, and sleeved bottom washer.

Edit: Forgot to mention royals.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:44:34 AM by layzieyez »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2022, 02:37:13 AM »
oldheads, its perfectly normal to like indys
its pretty much the formula
see someone 30+ on a skateboard...guess the trucks?
9/10 its indy and thats been the case for as long as i remember
peak "back in my day" truck
dont try and be hip, just keep your hip intact
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2022, 08:25:59 AM »
Too bad the "old heads" rip circles around most people who care about trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2022, 08:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Guys should I just stop pretending I like the feel of ventures and aces more than Indy? I think I should just go back to what I know and love and focus on just enjoying skating.
[close]

I know several people this year who were just like "I give up, I love Indys, I'm just gonna skate these" and every one of them seems pretty happy with their decision. It turns out that after ~45 years, Independent has figured out how to make a decent truck.
[close]

I rode Indy’s my whole life, then rode Ace for about 5 years. I’m back on Indy’s now because they grind so much better and they don’t have any of the QC issues. I have Ace bushings in my Indy’s now and they turn well enough that I don’t miss Ace
[close]

This. After going back and forth between Indy and ace. Almost buying ventures again. Thinking I could do thunders if I tired it with risers this time I have come to the fact and can fully admit. I just like Indy’s.  I enjoyed aces and they are always a close second but I just can’t deal with the QC.  Nothing feels as good as an Indy and every other truck I try, I try and make it feel like an Indy so why fight it.

Problem is in my head I absolutely love the stock bushings. Perfect amount of loose but I want to go buy the “soft red” and the “super soft white” Indy bushings to really Fuck it up.

The reds are known for being hard and sucking. The hack is the blues with slightly less threads showing than the stock orange. Less wheelbite and solid rebound and don't feel much tighter if at all at the top.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #214 on: July 02, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »

No they don’t.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #215 on: July 02, 2022, 03:23:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No they don’t.

If I were going to rank trucks based on what the kids at the park who rip are skating.. It would probably go something like

1- Thunder
2 - Ace
3 - Indy
4 - Venture

The ones who are good enough to maybe end up sponsored  are mostly either tech gods who value the thunder pinch above all else or the neo-retro kids doing no complies and impossibles on their 9 inch shaped board with ace 66s. And then there's one kid I sometimes see who's absolutely nuts but skates krux. Not a ton of heck riders around here these days.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #216 on: July 02, 2022, 04:54:09 PM »

There are definitely a lot more people in the over 40s group who were "Indy lifers" now riding Ace, in particular AF1 trucks around here.

That might have something to do with local distribution and the thought of cheap or even free trucks to try more than anything else, but those guys are for the most part really loving their Ace trucks now.

I have a set of AF1 55s as well as some classics in various sizes and they go alright, but I still prefer Indy standards over everything else.

I also have boards set up with Thunder, Venture and some other brands, but they don't get used much and are more just for people to try if they want to see what certain trucks are like.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2022, 05:20:41 PM »
In my experience with the kids who rip, they’re skating whatever fucking truck the shop gave them or was deeply discounted.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2022, 07:01:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No they don’t.

Depends where you live i guess but I've encountered many 30+ and even 40+ dudes that are tech/gnarly as hell and likely better than most kids at the park and spot. I'm not talking about the bowl trolls or the dude that quit for 2 decades and just got back into skating.

Obviously up and coming youngsters and retired pros should be excluded.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #219 on: July 03, 2022, 04:48:00 AM »
dawg i never said it was a problem, never said they sucked
dont want to quote myself but i said "its perfectly normal"
nobody is paying me, i couldnt really care. you shouldnt either
have a laugh, move on, and DONT prove my point
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2022, 06:20:51 AM »
Old head is what people call old(er) dudes. Liking Indys doesn’t make you an old head. Being an older dude that skates makes you an oldhead.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2022, 10:29:25 AM »
I have wallowed in the madness, by chasing setups that don’t naturally work for me. What I mean by that is if I get on an 8”ish board and trucks, tricks are easier, not necessarily better, but easier. I’ve gotten adjusted to much larger setups, and have had maybe even better results than just riding an 8”, but it’s such a fiasco: rounding up a bunch of parts and then swapping around, waiting to get adjusted to everything to be able to evaluate it, just a mess really.

For the last month I’ve ridden two different completes, which is way better than what I regularly do, and could settle with either. I am still not good, it didn’t solve anything. Both about the same size, a big 8.1, and a board advertise as 8 that’s more like a 7.9, low 8 trucks, 52s and 51s.

It’s been interesting for me to witness my madness/consumerism shift over to shoes. I’ve always tried different shoes, my feet hurt, I do physical work and am very old in skateboard years, but I’ve recently taken my energy that I spent on boards and started to get weird about the shoes I want to use. Pretty wack. The whole thing, the madness, for me, just anxiety and consumption, rinse and repeat. 

If any of you has a feeling about what you ‘should ride’, I’m not saying you shouldn’t try all of the other things, but maybe keep track of the parameters on the ‘should setup’, could be useful when you get way out in the woods of drastically different sized truck/wheel combos and what not. I’m now basically riding a setup I would have ridden 10-15 years ago. For me, I was probably skating a bit better on an 8.5, than I am rn, on an 8, but I just wore myself out thinking about all of it. The whole deal is frustrating in that I hoped there would some light at the end of the tunnel, with more information I’d find something more comfortable, but I’ve essentially just decided to skate a setup based off of what has worked for me in the past, and what some of my favorite pros skate.

I’m just rambling on a day when the weather isn’t cooperating, but for those of you that know you like a certain truck brand, rejoice! It’s not all bad trying different setups, some tricks have gotten better for me, from trying stuff. I think I’ve had to be more deliberate, and that has led to some greater understanding of a few tricks, maybe. Who knows, I had a bad session last night and once the regret/high of buying Jordan’s to skate in, wears off, you know I’ll be right back here talking about how I need to get indy 159s because I just rewatched the t-funk part, or 5.0 lo’s because I want to relive my youth trying to channel Lavar.
Hopefully not tho.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2022, 11:14:47 AM »
I’m currently skating a 9.75” Heroin symmetrical egg with 66 Ace classics. Why? I don’t know.

It has a shorter wheelbase than what I’m used to and otherwise it’s huge. It takes so much effort to even just ollie. I used to ride 8.375” and maybe 8.5” before the madness got the best of me.

Had some great times on a 9.25” shaped deck with 66 AF1s. I guess that fueled my madness making me think bigger is better. I guess I should move back down a bit as the current setup just is too much for me even though I quite like some aspects of it. I don t know. Fucking madness.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2022, 04:32:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Guys should I just stop pretending I like the feel of ventures and aces more than Indy? I think I should just go back to what I know and love and focus on just enjoying skating.
[close]

Congratulations, you've reached Acceptance. Enjoy it before the next bout of Gear Madness hits and sends you down the spiral of Denial (that it's our gear that is lacking, not our skills).
[close]
I feel gear madness more closely resembles a Sorry board game. New stage of Indy? Sorry! New manufacturing overseas? Sorry!

Move your piece right back to the beginning

SORRY but with Half Cabs

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2022, 05:15:33 PM »

If any of you has a feeling about what you ‘should ride’, I’m not saying you shouldn’t try all of the other things, but maybe keep track of the parameters on the ‘should setup’, could be useful when you get way out in the woods of drastically different sized truck/wheel combos and what not. 8<......>8 but I’ve essentially just decided to skate a setup based off of what has worked for me in the past

I've got a mental list of 'best setups' it's semi-useful to a point...if they don't keep the same decks in the line-up/rotation you're SOL.

Two of my fav boards are no longer made (DLX 8.18 FULL SE and the 8.25x31.9x14.353 NHS); I miss that 8.18 =(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:43:06 PM by Xen »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2022, 05:53:12 PM »
Expand Quote

If any of you has a feeling about what you ‘should ride’, I’m not saying you shouldn’t try all of the other things, but maybe keep track of the parameters on the ‘should setup’, could be useful when you get way out in the woods of drastically different sized truck/wheel combos and what not. 8<......>8 but I’ve essentially just decided to skate a setup based off of what has worked for me in the past
[close]

I've got a mental list of 'best setups' it's semi-useful, to a point...if they don't keep the same decks in the line-ups you're SOL. Two of my fav boards are no longer made (DLX 8.18 FULL SE and the 8.25x31.9x14.353 NHS); I miss that 8.18 =(

Good and fair point.
What I’ve noticed for myself, and I guess incorrectly assumed others would also possibly experience, is that I need the much more specific parameters, when I’m outside of the ‘normal’ (as if this type of anguish over a child’s toy was normal) for me range, which is 8” deck, 8” trucks. I can possibly skate better on an 8.5” setup, but woe is fucking me if the details aren’t sorted out. To me, the ‘madness’, is chasing the minutiae, to a degree that it gets in the way of the activity, or becomes the activity. My best skating was done by grabbing whatever got me hyped (jocking some pro’s style) and rocking with that.
In no way is this a shot at you, @Xen, I’m hyped you have narrowed your preferences so sharply. I think it’s dope, and shows a sensitivity and skill I just don’t have.
When I start trying to make these wild leaps of: ‘well I want to learn transition skating, and people that rip that skate x + x + x…’ I end up super sideways.
To attempt to salvage a salient point out of my gibberish: I need specific shit when I’m tripping, but if just skate a ‘regular’ sized setup, 95% of that tweaking about the setup magically disappears. I might still like a board more/less than the previous, but it’s not some catastrophic event. For me.

It is fucked when companies quit doing the thing we liked from them. I’m currently buying aj1’s, like a moron, because I can’t buy dunks. So not rad.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2022, 07:43:53 PM »
Some guy locally is selling 3 new Indy Ti 159s for $40.  I don’t need them - I have 159 hollow forged. But I’m still showing up tomorrow with cash

But it’s ok, because early in the thread I said I should just skate Indies. And I have an Anti Hero Blue Meanie and some 56mm F4 classics just sitting here.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2022, 08:02:35 PM »
Some guy locally is selling 3 new Indy Ti 159s for $40.  I don’t need them - I have 159 hollow forged. But I’m still showing up tomorrow with cash

But it’s ok, because early in the thread I said I should just skate Indies. And I have an Anti Hero Blue Meanie and some 56mm F4 classics just sitting here.

Damn. That’s a steal. If you feel like selling some let me know.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #228 on: July 03, 2022, 08:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's three trucks for a total of $40 - not three sets of trucks.    A set of trucks, and a lonely solo truck that is destined to sit in the garage unloved.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #229 on: July 03, 2022, 11:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

It's three trucks for a total of $40 - not three sets of trucks.    A set of trucks, and a lonely solo truck that is destined to sit in the garage unloved.

For some that is a good enough deal, eg riding a set and having one spare for just in case, or when you go through one hanger, you have a replacement ready.

There are a lot of places I know that still sell individual trucks, so I can always just get another single to make up a new set too, but I have realised it is just as handy to have a spare single in most in case someone does need something, eg pull apart the truck so there is a 159 Ti hanger, a forged baseplate, some bushings, which can be used as well.

Someone sometime might be in need, so you can always move the extra truck if you are not the sort of person to skate through the back (or front) hanger any time soon too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2022, 08:44:12 AM »

Even if I wasn't wanting to ride them, I'd still buy them, pick up a single truck online, sell them of and make some $$.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2022, 08:55:01 AM »
Or really flex on your friends by putting using the TI truck in unorthodox places - replace the handles of kitchen cabinets, use as a shifter knob in your car, an expensive hammer or wall mount a 2nd use to use as grips for chin ups.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2022, 10:52:01 AM »
Mallgrab work out…..

How about getting Hulu hoop and using as lawn darts…

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 456
« Reply #233 on: July 04, 2022, 03:57:46 PM »
Third Ti truck as a griptape file.

IpathCats

« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2022, 05:51:55 AM »
Third Ti truck as a griptape file.

Or really flex on your friends by putting using the TI truck in unorthodox places - replace the handles of kitchen cabinets, use as a shifter knob in your car, an expensive hammer or wall mount a 2nd use to use as grips for chin ups.

Frame it in a glass case that has the message "in case of madness, shatter glass"

Because at the end of the day we should all probably just be riding indys on a board with a WB that compliments our body type.......

I'm not ready to admit that though.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #235 on: July 05, 2022, 06:08:34 AM »
I have to renew my license and insurance this week.
I’m like 200 short.

My mind is screaming to buy 6.1s. I definitely don’t need new trucks. I want them.

I don’t even got shoes rn. Wtf is my problem
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

IpathCats

« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2022, 06:29:50 AM »
I have to renew my license and insurance this week.
I’m like 200 short.

My mind is screaming to buy 6.1s. I definitely don’t need new trucks. I want them.

I don’t even got shoes rn. Wtf is my problem

what size shoe do you wear?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2022, 07:25:33 AM »
Man I wish concave didn't differ between decks in a press. DLX III is like my Goldilocks but I am still a kook going through every deck in a shop to get one

IpathCats

« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
Man I wish concave didn't differ between decks in a press. DLX III is like my Goldilocks but I am still a kook going through every deck in a shop to get one

I'm grateful this hasn't become an issue for me. I'm aware of the difference, but for some reason it hasn't bothered me enough to worry about. I have looked at that number on the board and had this exact thought. "thank god i dont care about this"

LebowskisRug

« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2022, 07:52:49 AM »
I had a II anti hero 8.38 that was so fucking steep I couldn't ride it. I compared it to another II and it was way steeper, basically a I or more. I like flatter decks and until this experience never cared.