Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82713 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2022, 10:29:09 PM »

In 20+ years I've already ridden almost everything. I did it the other way when I started with the 7.75 coming down from a 9. (Or maybe an 8.8 can't remember the actual last board). Got a bunch of 8.5ish boards but they spark no joy

Thanks @Mbrimson88 I was basically thinking creature vs orange eagle but weirdly always found creature goes well with thunders and AH good with Indy even tho you'd think it more likely go the other way (or more likely it's just in my head)

Yes I totally get it, which is why I didn't try to recommend anything else, or other sizes, even though I did spend another half an hour looking through all the different bigger options from 8.6 up to 9.25 on OCD, but the options for choosing sizes and wheelbases are excellent to go through.

Madness is in full effect, thought I was a 8.25-lifer but 8.5 is feeling so good right now. Barely noticed the difference in width after the first session. Now I need to update my entire truck ecosystem for 8.5 decks, wonderful.

The tech guys I skate with usually ride the 8.25 sized trucks on 8.38 and 8.5 sized boards, so before you update too much, have a think about how much truck you actually want.

The most common thought is wider trucks for transition, not so wide for street and tech.

Not quite like Reynolds on 139 for everything from 8.1 to 8.5 but it sure does seem to work for most of those guys.

I much prefer wider trucks, but I am more transition > street, even though I do like to skate a bit of everything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2022, 11:07:47 PM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88 I was basically thinking creature vs orange eagle but weirdly always found creature goes well with thunders and AH good with Indy even tho you'd think it more likely go the other way (or more likely it's just in my head)
[/quote]

Yes I totally get it, which is why I didn't try to recommend anything else, or other sizes, even though I did spend another half an hour looking through all the different bigger options from 8.6 up to 9.25 on OCD, but the options for choosing sizes and wheelbases are excellent to go through.

Madness is in full effect, thought I was a 8.25-lifer but 8.5 is feeling so good right now. Barely noticed the difference in width after the first session. Now I need to update my entire truck ecosystem for 8.5 decks, wonderful.

The tech guys I skate with usually ride the 8.25 sized trucks on 8.38 and 8.5 sized boards, so before you update too much, have a think about how much truck you actually want.
[/quote]

I didn't too much about it and was enjoying the ride, until a friend pointed it out the axle being shorter than the board and now I can't stop thinking about it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #332 on: July 28, 2022, 02:52:24 AM »
Fuck a Christmas complete! I skated a completely new setup today due to madness and holy fuck did I hate it.

I was on Heroin 9.75” symmetrical egg with Ace 66 classics, 1/8” risers, rails & 56 mm conical fulls and I didn’t like it cuz it was too short, wide and heavy. Went to an Antihero 8.75” with Ace AF1 60s and 54 mm conical fulls.

Also skated spots and parks new to me initially. Thankfully I still had my old shoes. Would’ve probably quit skating altogether had I not had some familiarity.

Went to a park I know at the end of the session and it started to feel not 100% horrible. Funny thing about this is that the new setup is way closer to what I usually like to skate than the old one but it felt so off.

Oh well. I think I’ll get used to the new setup within a few sessions. I still have a few big eggs & other funny shaped boards in my stack but I think I’ll be sticking to boards from 8.375” to 9” and 8.35” to 9” Aces, preferably classics and wheelbases from 14.5” to 14.75” as that has been working for me nicely before. Maybe I can use the big boards as cruisers as big cruisers can be fun.

So yeah, just wanted to vent about how new stuff actually fucking sucks and having the madness leads to skating new stuff too often.

IpathCats

« Reply #333 on: July 28, 2022, 06:15:45 AM »
I just want you guys to know, i have sold or given away all of the trucks i dont currently have setup on a skateboard. Except my beat up Lurpivs which i have on display on a shelf, im sure they will be a good skate artifact eventually.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #334 on: July 28, 2022, 10:52:35 AM »
Fuck a Christmas complete! I skated a completely new setup today due to madness and holy fuck did I hate it.

Been there done that. Also not with brand new, but some "interesting" (read: madness induced) complete/setup scraped and assembled from various parts found at home, maybe with some new purchases sprinkled in. I guess one loads up all kinds of expectations and hopes while setting up the complete. Usually at least partly totally irrational hopes and expectations...

Rainy days and winter breaks are bad for gear madness.

IpathCats

« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »
I feel like a whole new setup is the most prime madness catalyst. even if youve got your setup figured out, you can set up a whole new board and just feel horrible.

tonitonne

« Reply #336 on: July 28, 2022, 11:05:51 AM »
Gonna try only skating eagles again sticking with 8" to 8.25".

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2022, 12:36:46 PM »
Went to the shop to get some new shoes yesterday and resisted the urge to buy new decks/trucks/wheels that I don’t need. Small steps to recovery, feels good 😂

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #338 on: July 28, 2022, 06:36:05 PM »
Went to the shop to get some new shoes yesterday and resisted the urge to buy new decks/trucks/wheels that I don’t need. Small steps to recovery, feels good 😂

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2022, 08:01:14 PM »
Currently agonizing between Indy 139s and 144s on an 8.125 Quasi. The size and shape is perfect, but I just can't settle on the trucks. I previously had the 144s on an 8.25 and that was good, but I wanted smaller board to try to get some flip tricks back.

In my prime, I always skated trucks narrower than the board. I liked the look of it and the tippy feeling made flip tricks seem easier. Knowing the trucks are just 1/8 of an inch wider than the board now irked me so much I caved and got a set of 139s, which I have yet to set up.

I think the 144s might be the more versatile choice based on my preferences for wheels and boards. I'm willing to go down as small as an 8.0 and as wide as an 8.25 with 52-54 mm wheels.

I'm sure 144s would skate just fine on an 8.0 but I know I'd be a total headcase about the trucks being a whole 1/4 inch wider than my board. That said, I don't want to lose truck real estate with the 139s. I'm not great at grinds and I feel like the 144s would be more forgiving.

Writing this out seems fucking crazy

I should just be glad I'm letting myself settle on Indy for now after fucking around with Thunder and Venture (the truck of my youth which will inevitably pull me back again)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2022, 08:09:11 PM »
I've had both on that size deck and like the 144's. It's 1/16"/side there is no way you can see that when you are riding and 8.25" trucks are still narrow. They're also barely any heavier and for most flip tricks (probably all) you won't notice.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2022, 08:15:56 PM »
I've had both on that size deck and like the 144's. It's 1/16"/side there is no way you can see that when you are riding and 8.25" trucks are still narrow. They're also barely any heavier and for most flip tricks (probably all) you won't notice.

You're right. I need to sell the 139s and stick with the 144s until I get this nonsense out of my head

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2022, 09:34:12 PM »
I just want you guys to know, i have sold or given away all of the trucks i dont currently have setup on a skateboard. Except my beat up Lurpivs which i have on display on a shelf, im sure they will be a good skate artifact eventually.

Congrats. It feels good!

You're right. I need to sell the 139s and stick with the 144s until I get this nonsense out of my head

I'm skating an 8" with Ace 44 (so same width). Like you, I was thinking "shit, should I get 139s for this deck?" before I finally realized I could just set it up and see what happened. Yeah, the difference is absolutely negligible. Flips just like a 139 but also has more room for curbs.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2022, 11:11:45 PM »
Untitled by ,

That feeling when you build a christmas complete out of gear you hoarded out of boredom (check the quasi graphic hehe) and because you can. I'm telling myself its ok because they are all different sizes and offer different experiences.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #344 on: August 03, 2022, 03:18:05 AM »
Currently agonizing between Indy 139s and 144s on an 8.125 Quasi. The size and shape is perfect, but I just can't settle on the trucks. I previously had the 144s on an 8.25 and that was good, but I wanted smaller board to try to get some flip tricks back.

In my prime, I always skated trucks narrower than the board. I liked the look of it and the tippy feeling made flip tricks seem easier. Knowing the trucks are just 1/8 of an inch wider than the board now irked me so much I caved and got a set of 139s, which I have yet to set up.

I think the 144s might be the more versatile choice based on my preferences for wheels and boards. I'm willing to go down as small as an 8.0 and as wide as an 8.25 with 52-54 mm wheels.

I'm sure 144s would skate just fine on an 8.0 but I know I'd be a total headcase about the trucks being a whole 1/4 inch wider than my board. That said, I don't want to lose truck real estate with the 139s. I'm not great at grinds and I feel like the 144s would be more forgiving.

I should just be glad I'm letting myself settle on Indy for now after fucking around with Thunder and Venture (the truck of my youth which will inevitably pull me back again)

Unless you are planning to set up some really wide wheels for the 139s, I would stick to the 144s. Just my personal opinion but I don't like the tippyness of 139s on 8.125 decks. I have it way too deep in my head, that tippy setups cause ankle tweaks and I prefer the axles to be aligned with the deck. So, 144s on 8 to 8.25 decks sound great.
IG: @flowterspace

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2022, 05:42:26 AM »
Anyone out there transition from a bigger setup back to something smaller with Venture lows and actually enjoy it?  Just rewatched the Puleo and Dill Bobshirt interviews and every time I see late 90’s/early 2000’s footage of dudes like that skating somewhat crusty East Coast spots on Venture lows I get the urge to try a setup like that.  Also has anyone gone flat top washer on Venure lows?  Did it help the turn at all?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2022, 05:52:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Unless you are planning to set up some really wide wheels for the 139s, I would stick to the 144s. Just my personal opinion but I don't like the tippyness of 139s on 8.125 decks. I have it way too deep in my head, that tippy setups cause ankle tweaks and I prefer the axles to be aligned with the deck. So, 144s on 8 to 8.25 decks sound great.

Especially on a deck as full shaped as Quasi. Do you plan on going back to 8.25 after the 8.125? If so the 144 is the move. Only having to adjust to one variable at a time can help with madness and if you’re going back up after this keeping the same set of trucks can maintain familiarity with your setup. Don’t overthink it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2022, 05:56:15 AM »
Anyone out there transition from a bigger setup back to something smaller with Venture lows and actually enjoy it?  Just rewatched the Puleo and Dill Bobshirt interviews and every time I see late 90’s/early 2000’s footage of dudes like that skating somewhat crusty East Coast spots on Venture lows I get the urge to try a setup like that.  Also has anyone gone flat top washer on Venure lows?  Did it help the turn at all?
I went from 8.75 ish to 7.75 with Indy lows and mostly enjoyed for a couple years (only just kinda got over it) didn't skate much transition or hills or anything where you go too fast on it tho.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2022, 06:01:20 AM »

I’m back on venture lo’s, and it’s my favorite. I leave the trucks stick. I have used flat washers in the past. This ain’t that, meaning…I don’t setup venture lo’s and expect ace turning.
52s are the biggest wheel o could see running, and 50s would be the ideal. I’m using 51 f4 classics. So be prepared for that.
I was skating 8.5s, with 8.5” trucks, before I made this switch. Now it’s 8” board, 8” venture lo’s, 51s, Mob (almost always used jessup previously), cupsoles (dunks). I do not want to skate my other setups.
I do not skate skateparks/transitions. I skat sparking lots, street, curbs. Works great for that. Absolutely need to take more pushes.

Bobby, Gino, Lavar…3 of my top 5 alltimers, venture lo’s. Bobby skating the harshest spots on sub 50mm wheels. If you want to make it happen you will. I prefer the stability, and if I have to take more pushes, I do that. If I was skating from spot to spot with others, or bombing hills in the city I’d be the slowest, but I skate by myself and do not care. I’m trying to land tricks in my old age and this setup helps me, considerably.

Skatebeard

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2022, 06:11:53 AM »

I usually skate an 8.25 with thunder lights, but snapped a kingpin so used my backup setup for a couple months - 7.875" Magenta deck with 5.2 venture lows and 50mm wheels.

I enjoyed it as a vacation, but was glad to be back on the 8.25 to be honest, smaller boards are very chuckable, but almost too much so for me nowadays, easy to overflip tricks and slip off the board due to my big-ish feet. I enjoy skating small decks here and there but deffo feel like it's a quicker route to injury.

As for the Venture lows themselves, love them - i pretty much just skate flatground and ledges so they're perfect for rolling back and forth.

TL;DR - fun skinny setup is cool to have, but i couldn't use it as my sole board.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2022, 06:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I usually skate an 8.25 with thunder lights, but snapped a kingpin so used my backup setup for a couple months - 7.875" Magenta deck with 5.2 venture lows and 50mm wheels.

I enjoyed it as a vacation, but was glad to be back on the 8.25 to be honest, smaller boards are very chuckable, but almost too much so for me nowadays, easy to overflip tricks and slip off the board due to my big-ish feet. I enjoy skating small decks here and there but deffo feel like it's a quicker route to injury.

As for the Venture lows themselves, love them - i pretty much just skate flatground and ledges so they're perfect for rolling back and forth.

TL;DR - fun skinny setup is cool to have, but i couldn't use it as my sole board.

That’s my biggest concern.  I don’t do well with running multiple setups at once so I’d need to completely commit to it for a couple months.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2022, 09:36:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Especially on a deck as full shaped as Quasi. Do you plan on going back to 8.25 after the 8.125? If so the 144 is the move. Only having to adjust to one variable at a time can help with madness and if you’re going back up after this keeping the same set of trucks can maintain familiarity with your setup. Don’t overthink it.

I think I'd sooner go down to 8.0 than back up to 8.25, but I'll make the 144s work on it if I do

And that's good advice. Changing one thing at a time is the move

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #352 on: August 05, 2022, 03:42:45 AM »
I recently tried solving the last bit of truck madness. I've been switching between Indy 149 titaniums and Ace AF1 55's on my 8.5 deck. I love how the Aces turn and I love riding around on them, but tricks are more difficult with their weight. I used one of my friends belt sander to make a set of Ace bushings the same size as the Indy ones. I haven't skated them yet, but I hope this will get a little bit of the Ace feeling into the lightweight Indy trucks :)

IpathCats

« Reply #353 on: August 05, 2022, 05:41:16 AM »
I recently tried solving the last bit of truck madness. I've been switching between Indy 149 titaniums and Ace AF1 55's on my 8.5 deck. I love how the Aces turn and I love riding around on them, but tricks are more difficult with their weight. I used one of my friends belt sander to make a set of Ace bushings the same size as the Indy ones. I haven't skated them yet, but I hope this will get a little bit of the Ace feeling into the lightweight Indy trucks :)

Hopes, dreams, madness, they all intersect here on SLAP

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #354 on: August 05, 2022, 05:47:47 AM »

[/quote]

I didn't too much about it and was enjoying the ride, until a friend pointed it out the axle being shorter than the board and now I can't stop thinking about it.
[/quote]

just get some wider wheels or put washers on the inside. I've always noticed 8.25 trucks on an 8.5 board is a way better feeling.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #355 on: August 05, 2022, 06:49:02 AM »
Now entering shoe madness. I was skating Crockett High for a while but kept getting hot spots in one foot when I'd sweat. One morning I got to the park and my Half Cabs were in the car and I was wearing slippers so I skated those and generally liked it. No hot spots. The weird part is, and this has to be mental. I feel way more confident to stomp 360 flips, heel flips, basically anything that I normally wasn't.

But Half Cabs do flop out a bit. I've got Tiagos and same thing vs the Crocketts. Haven't gotten used to the rear foot yet and some of my foot placement is weird, but somehow better flick. And I've got Rowan's that were in my closet which feel more like the Crockett.

I think the Crockett upper is too thin to be supportive for me and thus my foot moves around in the shoe. Now I'm chasing the dragon of the perfect shoe.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #356 on: August 05, 2022, 09:58:00 AM »

For some reason (madness), I prefer one notch wider trucks than my board nowadays. Ie. 144s with 8.1, 149s with 8.3/8.4. To compensate, I use classic or classic wide profile wheels. Seems to give bit stability and truck to grind, but doesn't hinder my old man's kickflips too much. Using wider profile wheels makes it feel way too heavy for me.

Homie just put 149s into 8.1 board, no problems or visible hotrodding.

So, try it out and hope that the madness evaporates...

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #357 on: August 05, 2022, 03:08:20 PM »
Is there anyone that makes an 8-8.125” squared off full shape similar to FA with a 14” WB that is on BBS wood? Really looking for that fat nose

Can’t skate ps stix anymore and would really like to keep skating this shape without giving all my money to FA

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
« Reply #358 on: August 05, 2022, 04:18:22 PM »
Real makes 8.06 full with a 14 wb that should fit the bill.

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #359 on: August 05, 2022, 06:38:19 PM »
Having some madness about bushings. Skating the Thunder 149 lights, switched out to bones mediums but I don’t know if I like them.

Thinking about going back to the Thunder bushings but not sure if I should stick with the stock ones or get harder ones since ima bigger dude. I also had risers on my last two boards and have felt awful so I took them off. Hoping that helps