Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 11109 times)

zozu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #360 on: August 06, 2022, 04:26:53 AM »
I skate the best on Thunder standards and would skate nothing else if not for the baseplate, I find them perfectly manageable but as soon as I hop on someone else's setup I remember what a totally loose and thoughtless tailslide feels like.
Wouldn't bother me if they weren't one of my favourite tricks to do unfortunately.

Because of this I have been swapping between Thunder, Indy, Ace and Royal almost every skate recently, its never been this bad before. 
If I could decide on one truck my madness would pretty much be cured, over the past few years I have nailed down my ideal setup aside from trucks. I know that I could probably stick to Indy standards as a sort of "true neutral" truck but the Thunder itch will always be in the back of my mind.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #361 on: August 06, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »
I skate the best on Thunder standards and would skate nothing else if not for the baseplate, I find them perfectly manageable but as soon as I hop on someone else's setup I remember what a totally loose and thoughtless tailslide feels like.
Wouldn't bother me if they weren't one of my favourite tricks to do unfortunately.

Because of this I have been swapping between Thunder, Indy, Ace and Royal almost every skate recently, its never been this bad before. 
If I could decide on one truck my madness would pretty much be cured, over the past few years I have nailed down my ideal setup aside from trucks. I know that I could probably stick to Indy standards as a sort of "true neutral" truck but the Thunder itch will always be in the back of my mind.

What put you off the royals? They seemed like a thunder Indy hybrid and to me? Pinch and quick pop like a thunder turn like an Indy.

LebowskisRug

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #362 on: August 06, 2022, 11:40:09 AM »
You forgot that Royals grind like Venture and pop light like Ace

zozu

• Rep: 48
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2022, 07:55:31 PM »
I did actually buy the Royals expecting them to solve all my problems, they certainly have the good qualities of Indy and Thunder but don't excel at anything.
I do really like them and could see them solving a lot of peoples truck madness.

For some reason the pinch wasn't working very well for me on the them, I think because the bushings have a certain mushiness and don't snap back to centre like Thunders. This also means they don't quite turn as nicely as Indy/Ace.

I also wasn't a fan of the hard grind as they still haven't broken in, yet the baseplate has worn down so fast that my wheels start to grab on slide tricks like Thunders.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #364 on: Today at 05:50:43 AM »
Is there anyone that makes an 8-8.125” squared off full shape similar to FA with a 14” WB that is on BBS wood? Really looking for that fat nose

Can’t skate ps stix anymore and would really like to keep skating this shape without giving all my money to FA

Primitive makes a deck like this. Their 8-8.25" decks all have a 14" wheelbase and BBS wood, with huge noses. However, they are not squared off in the same way as FA/Hockey, and the tails remind me a bit of Baker in that they are actually extremely round.

If you can get over skating a Primitive (I personally literally could not care any less), they're a great option.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

vicious cycle

• Rep: 98
« Reply #365 on: Today at 06:27:14 AM »
Is there anyone that makes an 8-8.125” squared off full shape similar to FA with a 14” WB that is on BBS wood? Really looking for that fat nose

Can’t skate ps stix anymore and would really like to keep skating this shape without giving all my money to FA
I got a FA 8.18 , 14 Inch wheelbase.
Alien Workshop has a 8.125 , 14 Inch. By 31,5.
Check the Mind Control deck. Pretty simular to a FA nose.
Habitat should also fit the bill.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.