Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 85005 times)

zozu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #360 on: August 06, 2022, 04:26:53 AM »
I skate the best on Thunder standards and would skate nothing else if not for the baseplate, I find them perfectly manageable but as soon as I hop on someone else's setup I remember what a totally loose and thoughtless tailslide feels like.
Wouldn't bother me if they weren't one of my favourite tricks to do unfortunately.

Because of this I have been swapping between Thunder, Indy, Ace and Royal almost every skate recently, its never been this bad before. 
If I could decide on one truck my madness would pretty much be cured, over the past few years I have nailed down my ideal setup aside from trucks. I know that I could probably stick to Indy standards as a sort of "true neutral" truck but the Thunder itch will always be in the back of my mind.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #361 on: August 06, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »
I skate the best on Thunder standards and would skate nothing else if not for the baseplate, I find them perfectly manageable but as soon as I hop on someone else's setup I remember what a totally loose and thoughtless tailslide feels like.
Wouldn't bother me if they weren't one of my favourite tricks to do unfortunately.

Because of this I have been swapping between Thunder, Indy, Ace and Royal almost every skate recently, its never been this bad before. 
If I could decide on one truck my madness would pretty much be cured, over the past few years I have nailed down my ideal setup aside from trucks. I know that I could probably stick to Indy standards as a sort of "true neutral" truck but the Thunder itch will always be in the back of my mind.

What put you off the royals? They seemed like a thunder Indy hybrid and to me? Pinch and quick pop like a thunder turn like an Indy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #362 on: August 06, 2022, 11:40:09 AM »
You forgot that Royals grind like Venture and pop light like Ace

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #363 on: August 06, 2022, 07:55:31 PM »
I did actually buy the Royals expecting them to solve all my problems, they certainly have the good qualities of Indy and Thunder but don't excel at anything.
I do really like them and could see them solving a lot of peoples truck madness.

For some reason the pinch wasn't working very well for me on the them, I think because the bushings have a certain mushiness and don't snap back to centre like Thunders. This also means they don't quite turn as nicely as Indy/Ace.

I also wasn't a fan of the hard grind as they still haven't broken in, yet the baseplate has worn down so fast that my wheels start to grab on slide tricks like Thunders.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1103
« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2022, 05:50:43 AM »
Is there anyone that makes an 8-8.125” squared off full shape similar to FA with a 14” WB that is on BBS wood? Really looking for that fat nose

Can’t skate ps stix anymore and would really like to keep skating this shape without giving all my money to FA

Primitive makes a deck like this. Their 8-8.25" decks all have a 14" wheelbase and BBS wood, with huge noses. However, they are not squared off in the same way as FA/Hockey, and the tails remind me a bit of Baker in that they are actually extremely round.

If you can get over skating a Primitive (I personally literally could not care any less), they're a great option.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #365 on: August 07, 2022, 06:27:14 AM »
Is there anyone that makes an 8-8.125” squared off full shape similar to FA with a 14” WB that is on BBS wood? Really looking for that fat nose

Can’t skate ps stix anymore and would really like to keep skating this shape without giving all my money to FA
I got a FA 8.18 , 14 Inch wheelbase.
Alien Workshop has a 8.125 , 14 Inch. By 31,5.
Check the Mind Control deck. Pretty simular to a FA nose.
Habitat should also fit the bill.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #366 on: August 11, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »

This is what it feels like when my GF comes into my office where I have a mountain of gear. Room is feeling like a skateshop these days. If anyone is in ATX and needs some cheap gear, I can see what I can/need to do. Still not wanting to ship anything but maybe one of these days...

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #367 on: August 11, 2022, 12:39:43 PM »
This is what it feels like when my GF comes into my office where I have a mountain of gear. Room is feeling like a skateshop these days. If anyone is in ATX and needs some cheap gear, I can see what I can/need to do. Still not wanting to ship anything but maybe one of these days...

Same. I also feel conflicted about just leaving stuff at Brushy near the trash can. Need to know it's going to a good home! LOL.

ATX gear nerd swap meet? :shrug:
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2022, 06:44:34 AM »
Madness creeping back. Been on thunders. Decided I should give royals a fair shot. Cause when I tried them I think the deck was the issue super stiff and steep. I think I am doing this cause I haven’t got to skate in about a week so for some reason I decide the next time I skate I Shoukd use different trucks. It’s dumb. I’m dumb but here I am.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2022, 09:16:45 AM »

Get control of your life, loser.

Took stock of my pile, 11 decks, 6 pairs of trucks, 6 sets of wheels but never enough hardware and so I keep reusing my shitty old ones. Should probably treat myself to a fresh pack, maybe some Mini Logo bearings since I'm feeling spendy.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2022, 10:19:43 AM »
Stuff I need to sell:

-Brand new Indy 159
-Royal 144
-Pretty good 144 Indy Standard Hollow with extra hangers
-Carpet 8.38
-Prob Hockey 8.44 I bought on impulse.
-Huffer new in box

Come let give you my problems.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #371 on: August 18, 2022, 10:27:14 AM »
post photos pimp we need this

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #372 on: August 18, 2022, 01:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same. I also feel conflicted about just leaving stuff at Brushy near the trash can. Need to know it's going to a good home! LOL.

In for this, I have way too much shit.  I bagged up a bunch to take to No Comply to donate but never did, now it's just sitting under my desk

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1287
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #373 on: August 18, 2022, 02:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In for this, I have way too much shit.  I bagged up a bunch to take to No Comply to donate but never did, now it's just sitting under my desk
This is silly but I'm actually embarrassed to take my stuff to NC. Revealing myself as a hoarder in a shop setting is very hard to do haha. I wish House park or Mueller had a skate gear drop off sort of how I see those neighborhood libraries pop up in Austin. I can keep something like that pretty stocked for at least a few weeks.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #374 on: August 18, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
This is silly but I'm actually embarrassed to take my stuff to NC. Revealing myself as a hoarder in a shop setting is very hard to do haha.

No this is why I haven't dropped anything off lol

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #375 on: August 18, 2022, 08:42:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
This is silly but I'm actually embarrassed to take my stuff to NC. Revealing myself as a hoarder in a shop setting is very hard to do haha.
[close]

No this is why I haven't dropped anything off lol
Just say you asked around and some more people donated

slapattack

• Rep: 8
« Reply #376 on: August 19, 2022, 06:47:31 AM »

Literally the exact same relationship I have with thunders. Just switched to venture casts with TI hangers and I got to say I don't think Im going back. Same wheelbase (3.25") as a thunder hollow but 2mm taller and baseplate slide. I don't understand why thunder hollows are 51mm tall for a 8.5" truck its just too low and disproportionate.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #377 on: August 19, 2022, 06:52:47 AM »
My madness had been quiet for awhile. It returned this week. For an unknown reason (oh, I know why....madness) I decided to (re)try two pieces of equipment (Thunder Team Hollows and a 14.25 wb deck...I ride Indy Forged Hollows and a 14.38 wb deck) that I've had before, more than once, and didn't like each time. So, on an intellectual level, I already knew what the result was going to be. But you know, sometimes the madness will make you think that if you try the same thing over and over again, there will be a different result. Well, surprise surprise, there wasn't. Within 10 min of skating these two things I knew the madness had bested me, again. I quickly took them apart, and put my regular set-up back together. Some kid at the park will soon be getting new trucks and a new deck--the madness does benefit some.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #378 on: August 20, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »
We need more pics in this thread.

Here’s my madness collection.

Current setup and cruiser

Shoes in use

Some “extra” setups I moved to storage

Some extra shoes that have been in use that I moved to storage

Decks under my bed

Shoes still in their boxes

Wheels

Griptape

Trucks and truck stuff

Rails

Nuts and bolts and whatever

Shoe laces & other shoe stuff

My latest purchases that I got today 😬

Please tell me that I have a problem.

I don’t go through stuff fast enough to justify having this much gear. I use shoes until the sole has a hole. Decks I skate for months. Wheels last me a good while. Trucks too. Bearings I clean and maintain instead of throwing out. I could probably not buy any skate stuff for 10 years and still be fine.

I have so much different kind of stuff cuz I try to find the holy grail setup that’ll make me a great skater, which will never happen anyway. 😊

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #379 on: August 20, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
@Roisto thanks. Now my stack of 5 and 2 riders doesn’t seem so bad…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #380 on: August 20, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
My lord that makes me look sane. There's simply no way you could go through that in a year if you rode a new deck every 2 weeks. It's not like anything in that pile is a really unique release.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
« Reply #381 on: August 20, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »
My lord that makes me look sane. There's simply no way you could go through that in a year if you rode a new deck every 2 weeks. It's not like anything in that pile is a really unique release.

That’s been my strategy to make myself feel better about buying way too much gear - especially decks.  I’ve been skating decks for only like two or three weeks each and moving onto the next one.  Unless I feel some unique connection to the used deck I usually just leave it at the skatepark and move on.  I think I’m down to four decks (two might be like collector/wall hangers moreso), three sets of trucks, and two sets of wheels that are truly unskated.  As long as I skate the gear for a little bit I think the purchase is semi worth it.  Especially with shaped decks it’s more of an “experience” to try different ones.  Buying trucks and wheels though is usually a complete waste of money for me and I end up back on Indys and some conservatively practical Spitfire F4 shape and size…

LebowskisRug

« Reply #382 on: August 23, 2022, 07:54:36 AM »
I've bee pretty settled for a bit now- Thunders on a pretty standard shape with a 14.38. Oddly 14.38 is never in the shapes I want to buy so in gaslighting myself about my decision and options and often considering things that didn't historically work.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #383 on: August 23, 2022, 08:08:26 AM »
nice purge,

this thread makes me sad

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #384 on: August 23, 2022, 08:48:15 AM »
My madness had been quiet for awhile. It returned this week. For an unknown reason (oh, I know why....madness) I decided to (re)try two pieces of equipment (Thunder Team Hollows and a 14.25 wb deck...I ride Indy Forged Hollows and a 14.38 wb deck) that I've had before, more than once, and didn't like each time. So, on an intellectual level, I already knew what the result was going to be. But you know, sometimes the madness will make you think that if you try the same thing over and over again, there will be a different result. Well, surprise surprise, there wasn't. Within 10 min of skating these two things I knew the madness had bested me, again. I quickly took them apart, and put my regular set-up back together. Some kid at the park will soon be getting new trucks and a new deck--the madness does benefit some.

Honestly very proud of you for this. I did the same except a full session with Ventures I had on hand after skating Indy hollows for a few months. Had a bad session and as soon as I got home swapped back and have been madness free since. Occasionally the thought to swap something creeps in but my wallet deserves to be treated better. I've axled trucks before but not for awhile and I'm trying to get there again.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #385 on: August 23, 2022, 07:19:17 PM »
A good first step is to layout your entire stash in front of your eyes, so you can visually acknowledge your madness. I had so more decks and shoes that I forgot I had bought because I became an expert at squirreling stuff away. I was only last week when I moved to a new pad did I realize I had 8 pair of brand new skate shoes and 15 decks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #386 on: August 23, 2022, 10:05:54 PM »
Damn thought I was bad but lookin at all y'alls shit I am a perfectly sane, upstanding citizen

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #387 on: August 23, 2022, 10:56:18 PM »
A good first step is to layout your entire stash in front of your eyes, so you can visually acknowledge your madness. I had so more decks and shoes that I forgot I had bought because I became an expert at squirreling stuff away. I was only last week when I moved to a new pad did I realize I had 8 pair of brand new skate shoes and 15 decks.

This is the key. That’s the main reason I took all those photos of my stuff.

Also please everyone don’t use my madness as a justification for your own (lesser) madness. It’s good to hear you guys are doing better but it can still be a burden and get out of hand quick.

I have a mate who has hundreds of shoes and decks and whatever so I’d say he’s more mad than I am but I will not tell myself that what I’m doing is ok cuz he’s much worse cuz I definitely have a problem.

Something I’ve realized lately is that if I don’t like a deck after giving it a fair chance, I can leave it at the park for someone else to enjoy and it really is a win-win situation. This has been mentioned many times in this thread also as an ailment for the madness. While it’s not a cure and can even make things worse if you use it for justification for getting more stuff, I feel it kinda puts things into perspective and letting go of your hoarded stuff can be quite liberating.

I’m now trying to skate through the stuff I have and not buy anything new unless I need it. I’m trying to focus on spending my money on home improvement stuff instead.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #388 on: August 23, 2022, 11:22:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also please everyone don’t use my madness as a justification for your own (lesser) madness. It’s good to hear you guys are doing better but it can still be a burden and get out of hand quick.

I have a mate who has hundreds of shoes and decks and whatever so I’d say he’s more mad than I am but I will not tell myself that what I’m doing is ok cuz he’s much worse cuz I definitely have a problem.

Something I’ve realized lately is that if I don’t like a deck after giving it a fair chance, I can leave it at the park for someone else to enjoy and it really is a win-win situation. This has been mentioned many times in this thread also as an ailment for the madness. While it’s not a cure and can even make things worse if you use it for justification for getting more stuff, I feel it kinda puts things into perspective and letting go of your hoarded stuff can be quite liberating.

I’m now trying to skate through the stuff I have and not buy anything new unless I need it. I’m trying to focus on spending my money on home improvement stuff instead.
Displaying your stash of gear can work but you have to only do it every now and then for maximum shock value. Leave it out too long and get used to it and you will just think its normal. Basically how hoarding works.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: August 23, 2022, 11:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Displaying your stash of gear can work but you have to only do it every now and then for maximum shock value. Leave it out too long and get used to it and you will just think its normal. Basically how hoarding works.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m