Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82721 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
Put 2-3 extra washers inside and try it out.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2022, 03:34:50 PM »
Put 2-3 extra washers inside and try it out.

I don’t know why I forget that this is an option. Thanks dude!

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #422 on: August 27, 2022, 05:03:28 PM »
Regripped my board. It wasn’t dusted and I’ve been skating it well so I figured re-grip rather than set a new one up.  Went skating today, now have wax spots.  Super hot in AZ.  Now I’m thinking of regripping it.  Yet again.  I have plenty of grip but the board is solid. No chips and plenty of pop.  Plus I like it when I’ve done a good job on the scratch off underneath. Nose and tail and center look properly beat.   Am I crazy. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #423 on: August 27, 2022, 06:14:16 PM »
Regripped my board. It wasn’t dusted and I’ve been skating it well so I figured re-grip rather than set a new one up.  Went skating today, now have wax spots.  Super hot in AZ.  Now I’m thinking of regripping it.  Yet again.  I have plenty of grip but the board is solid. No chips and plenty of pop.  Plus I like it when I’ve done a good job on the scratch off underneath. Nose and tail and center look properly beat.   Am I crazy.

Yeah sounds like it. You ever tried a cleaning eraser?

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Eraser-Stick-Abrasive-Sanding/dp/B000H69U7G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=32BXBF7B4KTSR&keywords=belt+sander+cleaner&qid=1661649212&sprefix=belt+sander+cleane%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-4

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #424 on: August 27, 2022, 06:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Eraser-Stick-Abrasive-Sanding/dp/B000H69U7G/ref=sr_1_4?crid=32BXBF7B4KTSR&keywords=belt+sander+cleaner&qid=1661649212&sprefix=belt+sander+cleane%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-4

Seriously these are the shit! One guy who's really good at skating at my local is super OCD about having clean grip so he always has one with him and he got me onto it.

I only use it on larger bits of dirt and crud that annoy me but it's so good to be able to keep my grip fairly uniform without splodges of crap. Just don't get into the trap of spending all session or evening cleaning your grip. I've seen my friend behind a ramp obsessively rubbing his grip a few times 😂

Enjoi make a nice hard one and mob make a soft one. I reckon harder is easier to use

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #425 on: August 27, 2022, 11:40:45 PM »
For spots of wax the grip gum doesn’t work from my experience.

What I’ve done is melt the wax with a hairdryer for example and soak it into a paper towel. If you want to make it a bit cleaner looking it’s probably better to put the towel there before melting the wax. Grip will not look spotless but it’ll work just as new.

I’m all for regripping a board when the grip is worn out but trying to keep it looking nice is useless at least where I skate so I don’t bother and I actually enjoy when it looks well used if it still functions good.

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #426 on: September 06, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »
I actually managed to retain myself today. I had the idea to give my Ace AF1 55’s another try, but I stuk to my Indy 149 Titaniums. I was glad I did so, I felt like I was getting more used to the setup and I really appreciated the light weight :) The turn of the Aces is nice, but my tricks just feel easier and more controlled on the Indies.

So in other words, as I already know, and as most people already know, it does actually help to stick to a certain setup… It’s a miracle.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #427 on: September 09, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »
I actually managed to retain myself today. I had the idea to give my Ace AF1 55’s another try, but I stuk to my Indy 149 Titaniums. I was glad I did so, I felt like I was getting more used to the setup and I really appreciated the light weight :) The turn of the Aces is nice, but my tricks just feel easier and more controlled on the Indies.

So in other words, as I already know, and as most people already know, it does actually help to stick to a certain setup… It’s a miracle.

Well done!
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Badandoldskater

• Rep: 31
« Reply #428 on: September 09, 2022, 04:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Seriously these are the shit! One guy who's really good at skating at my local is super OCD about having clean grip so he always has one with him and he got me onto it.

I only use it on larger bits of dirt and crud that annoy me but it's so good to be able to keep my grip fairly uniform without splodges of crap. Just don't get into the trap of spending all session or evening cleaning your grip. I've seen my friend behind a ramp obsessively rubbing his grip a few times 😂

Enjoi make a nice hard one and mob make a soft one. I reckon harder is easier to use

You can buy a giant one at harbor freight

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #429 on: September 09, 2022, 08:03:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Gonna need a link to that one.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2022, 09:39:12 PM »
Just get one on Amazon. I use them to clean sanding belts on my sanders and they have some cheap ones that work pretty damn well. It acts kind of like a pencil eraser but absorbs particles and then sheds/erases off.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #431 on: September 09, 2022, 09:39:38 PM »
Had a friend that ordered a deck online and sent it back cuz it was a I on the press DLX. Quite bad.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #432 on: September 09, 2022, 11:46:21 PM »
I'm about to set up my Polar deck, which in true Polar fashion, have completely wrong wheelbase measurement. Its suppose to be 14.125", but its more like 14.4". Therefore i'm tempted to slap indy's on, instead of using my trusty thunders. Thoughts?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #433 on: September 10, 2022, 05:13:42 AM »
My thought is that it’s going to be more difficult to adjust to a different truck than it is a wheelbase difference of a fraction of an inch.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #434 on: September 10, 2022, 06:45:18 AM »
My thought is that it’s going to be more difficult to adjust to a different truck than it is a wheelbase difference of a fraction of an inch.

I second this.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #435 on: September 10, 2022, 07:11:20 AM »
Also those Polar decks are 14.25 so you're measuring it wrong and it's even less than you think.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #436 on: September 10, 2022, 09:20:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-belt-cleaner-30766.html
was curious just how big it was & found this

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: September 10, 2022, 10:27:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

https://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-belt-cleaner-30766.html
was curious just how big it was & found this

Dope, thank you. I need some extended clamps and was planning on going to HF this weekend anyway!

freidnly guy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #438 on: September 10, 2022, 11:00:30 AM »
I'm about to set up my Polar deck, which in true Polar fashion, have completely wrong wheelbase measurement. Its suppose to be 14.125", but its more like 14.4". Therefore i'm tempted to slap indy's on, instead of using my trusty thunders. Thoughts?
Which deck? And are you for sure measuring correctly?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #439 on: September 11, 2022, 02:50:34 AM »
I have a Polar 8.25 deck lined up next. But it is like 2 years old soon. Dane Brady Kiosk graphic. The wheelbase there is like 14.3"

But I don't know how they are on more recent decks.
IG: @flowterspace

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #440 on: September 11, 2022, 06:15:21 AM »
Heads up….I kinda think while the rest of the world is dealing with supply chain issues, this season at least, there is a bloated supply of decks….shops will be/are blowing them out.  Stock pile….or don’t…..

I stockpiled. Element just had a big sale, $35 boards, all bbs wood, not hyped on the graphics but that with the spend $150 get $50 off I went a little bit nuts blew a paycheck on 20 boards. Of course now that means I have to skate these boards knowing all of them have this stubby 6.45” Flat-ish tail. Time to put my thunders back in the rotation I suppose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #441 on: September 11, 2022, 07:01:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Heads up….I kinda think while the rest of the world is dealing with supply chain issues, this season at least, there is a bloated supply of decks….shops will be/are blowing them out.  Stock pile….or don’t…..
[close]

I stockpiled. Element just had a big sale, $35 boards, all bbs wood, not hyped on the graphics but that with the spend $150 get $50 off I went a little bit nuts blew a paycheck on 20 boards. Of course now that means I have to skate these boards knowing all of them have this stubby 6.45” Flat-ish tail. Time to put my thunders back in the rotation I suppose.

It's a funny one!

People I know turn their noses up at those kind of sales, but I would rather get a board with good wood and bad graphic for cheap than pay excessive amounts for the same wood, but the spend / save ratio is a lot higher for me in that regard.

I can always paint or blank the board and it still skates the same as any other and I get three boards for the same price as just one of the better boards, so in that regard I am not worried about anything else.

What size did you get with that short of a tail?  Most I see are at least 6.5 and up, but I do ride the bigger boards too, usually 8.38s and 8.5s.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #442 on: September 12, 2022, 05:25:19 AM »
Just thought about this gear madness for a bit and now I'm extremely glad it hit me as a relatively young person (27). After getting on slap and watching ben degros, finding out about all these differences and trying stuff, it basically destroyed my skating for more than a year. I'm over it now, making progress again and not switching any gear until it breaks because there's simply nothing to gain from it.

I imagine if you're getting into the madness at 40+, only trying new stuff, losing all the progress you've made while not having the time and energy to fully get everything back, it must be shattering.

Let's try to keep more people from doing this to themselves.
Tell your story.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #443 on: September 12, 2022, 05:34:34 AM »
Got an idea. Does gear madness worsen for people who tend to skate the same spots/parks regularly? When I was younger and would pretty much skate a new spot or park every week I'd basically use the same gear and be concentrating on how to skate the spot. Now I'm old and broken I basically skate the same places all the time and when shits not working start to focus on how I'd want different gear etc

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2022, 05:46:28 AM »
Got an idea. Does gear madness worsen for people who tend to skate the same spots/parks regularly? When I was younger and would pretty much skate a new spot or park every week I'd basically use the same gear and be concentrating on how to skate the spot. Now I'm old and broken I basically skate the same places all the time and when shits not working start to focus on how I'd want different gear etc

For sure, and then you keep skating the same stuff because before trying a new spot, you first need to get used to the new gear. Pushing the madness into a positive feedback loop, only getting worse.

For me it started from always reading on slap that you should skate thunders on a short wheelbase. I'm 5'8" or so and rode thunders on a 14.4"wb so I wondered if there's actually something to gain by changing decks/trucks.
There wasn't..
It's all personal preference and simply what you're used to. No rules

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #445 on: September 12, 2022, 07:16:32 AM »
have went a bit mad and had to buy Spitfire F4s, Ace Trucks, and a 8.5" board just because they were lacking in my life
i havent hardly skated it at all because i have a 9.125" setup and a 8" setup
if i can find like 6 more bearings i could have a 4th setup.

8" Isle deck - Paul Shier
Ventures (8")
Bones wheels i got in germany ~2013, maybe 50mm left
$10 abec 5's

8.5" The Ward (Guelph, ON Canada shop. board done by Chapman / Clutch)
Indy 139s forged hollow (still have the iron cross logo)
Spitfire F4 Mark Suciu 99a (Conical Full)
Bones Super Swiss

9.125" Primitive Egg Frankie Villani
Ace AF1 60 Polished
OJ 58mm(down to like 56) 95a Natas Kaupas
Bronson G3

4th rain setup would fit nicely;
8.75" Anti Hero Blue Meanie
Indy 159 Forged Hollow stage 11 (grinded down to axle though)
Bones STF 104a (down to ~49mm)
~Need Bearings~

Considering switching the Ventures from the 8" setup over to the 8.5" setup, i feel like it makes more sense to have Ventures with the Spitfires. Put the STF onto the 8" setup because its just meant to be a small techy setup anyway (hence the ventures) and then have the slightly bigger softer wheels for the rain cruiser.
ONTARIO CANADA

MysticalTypeExperience

• Rep: 128
« Reply #446 on: September 12, 2022, 07:34:23 AM »

That's kind of bass ackwards because the best part of different gear is catering it to the terrain you're skating. Since I mostly skate park I've been able to narrow my setup options down to find the "goldilocks" setup. Of course the other element to that is the type of tricks you're doing at said spots.

IpathCats

« Reply #447 on: September 12, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »

I can relate to this feeling.

obZen

• Rep: 7
« Reply #448 on: September 12, 2022, 03:21:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's a funny one!

People I know turn their noses up at those kind of sales, but I would rather get a board with good wood and bad graphic for cheap than pay excessive amounts for the same wood, but the spend / save ratio is a lot higher for me in that regard.

I can always paint or blank the board and it still skates the same as any other and I get three boards for the same price as just one of the better boards, so in that regard I am not worried about anything else.

What size did you get with that short of a tail?  Most I see are at least 6.5 and up, but I do ride the bigger boards too, usually 8.38s and 8.5s.
All 8.25s except I did get one Madars deck deck that’s an 8.38 which is pointier than what I prefer but it’s gonna be cool to try. I know 6.45 isn’t crazy short, but they have a lot of flat beyond the bolts almost the same as the 8.25 toy machines I had that makes me feel like it’s shorter in my head. I got used to the 6.8” rounder tail on the girl G052 boards I skated before this so it definitely is taking some adjustment.

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 42
« Reply #449 on: September 12, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »
Coming back from not skating for a while, I wanted to optimize my setup, so that I wouldn't have to think about. Couldn't blame it for anything, just skate. Try to make it kind of generic.

I came up with that 8.25" or 8.5" were my ideal deck sizes.

Figured 8.38" was the middle ground for trucks

and 54mm for wheels.

But to work with the deck widths, I wanted flush wheels/grind space, so 8.5" or 8.75" are my truck options. And to have the biggest wheels I can without too much wheelbite, the trucks and wheels I decided on are cast venture hi's, cast indy's, or aces, with 54-56mm 99a F4's depending on truck brand. Hollows if available.

I think the best setup for hill bombing is probably a cast venture Hi 6.1, on an 8.5 deck, with 54/55mm conical fulls

For pools and stuff, a cast Indy 159, on an 8.5, with 56mm conical fulls sounds right.

The one I ended up going with, that I'm skating right now is Ace AF1 55's, on an 8.25", with 54mm OG classics. This could be the one. Definitely the easiest to skate. Different wheels could make it easier maybe.

I think a shaped 9.25 with a shorter wb or the front truck drilled back, risers and 57-59mm wheels would be tight, on like 9" aces or 169s... And to fix pop angle I could slap a tail skid on there

Over the years I've skated everything from 7.25" to 10" for decks, 129's to 169's, and ~44 to 64mm wheels, venture lows, thunders of most heights and sizes, indys of many different stages and heights, and now some AF1's.

Honestly only really curious about venture hi 5.8's and 6.1's. Might set up two identical boards, one with venture highs and one with aces, and see which one I like better. I feel like indys are right in the middle of those two and I've skated all the indys but 109's and 215's.

Indy is definitely the most common truck I think, shame about stage 9 and 10, shame about the marketing.

Spitfire F4's are the most common/popular wheel, p sure

I think the AH eagles/Baker logo decks are the best generic looking decks

IDK what the hell I'm talking about, thanks for coming to my ted talk