Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 84631 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #660 on: November 16, 2022, 09:07:24 PM »
I’ve rocked some Ray Barbee Vans from who the fuck knows how long ago, and they go alright. Not new fresh but they didn’t feel like they’d fall away from my feet either

Edit: they’re from 2014

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #661 on: November 16, 2022, 09:23:18 PM »
Figured this might be as good a place as anywhere to ask for opinions.

For shoe hoarding, when do shoes become unsafe to wear? I have some 9 year old new in box vans that always got pushed down in the pile of unworn shoes.
I want to skate them but I’m worried the soles are just gonna crumble or fold like I’ve heard happen with old sneakers. Is that just a concern with EVA foam and rubber vulcs are good to go?
I think vulcs are almost always fine there's an insta account called pillowheat where a guy specifically sells really old vans. Classic cupsoles usually good too but the rubber can go really hard/plasticy. This actually happened to some emerica vulcs I had but I had worn them a bunch then put them away. Either way I guess you could walk around in them for a bit first see how they are.
I'm hoping what I say is true because I also have a bunch of shoes from 9+ years ago lol

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 439
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #662 on: November 17, 2022, 05:21:23 AM »
If they’re Vans pros from that time them shits were destined to peel apart in a week anyway. So if they do fall apart it will be hard to tell it’s from time or Vans shitty QC from back then.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #663 on: November 17, 2022, 06:52:25 AM »
Yeah vans pro authentic from November 2013

I wore them this morning out to run some errands. Insoles definitely softer with the ultracush HD and they fit a little bigger than current models. Overall I think they’ll be fine.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #664 on: November 18, 2022, 08:25:27 PM »
I just bought two pizza boards for 38$. I have 14 boards inventory.   I fear that this may be a problem.  Normally I go through a board every two weeks. But I keep getting hurt, so my inventory is high. Normally I would skate them faster than I buy them.  Plus I just got a raise. 

AND we are not even into Black Friday yet.  Is there a divorce thread because when my wife sees another box show up I’m going there next.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #665 on: November 18, 2022, 08:31:19 PM »
I just bought two pizza boards for 38$. I have 14 boards inventory.   I fear that this may be a problem.  Normally I go through a board every two weeks. But I keep getting hurt, so my inventory is high. Normally I would skate them faster than I buy them.  Plus I just got a raise. 

AND we are not even into Black Friday yet.  Is there a divorce thread because when my wife sees another box show up I’m going there next.

You're looking for Whatever - Things you are stoked on but not stoked on
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #666 on: November 19, 2022, 09:17:49 AM »

You might just have to do your own mystery box sale at this rate

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #667 on: November 20, 2022, 09:05:04 AM »
Do forged baseplates slide worse or is that just me?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
« Reply #668 on: November 20, 2022, 10:16:05 AM »

I go back and forth between forged and standard baseplates on my Indys depending on my wheel size/kick steepness and I've never noticed a discernible difference between the two. Both seem to slide as expected for me. I could see cast sliding marginally better since there's more metal to slide against, though.
Super Champion Fun Zone

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #669 on: November 20, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I go back and forth between forged and standard baseplates on my Indys depending on my wheel size/kick steepness and I've never noticed a discernible difference between the two. Both seem to slide as expected for me. I could see cast sliding marginally better since there's more metal to slide against, though.

But how could I possibly be the problem. Ridiculous

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
« Reply #670 on: November 20, 2022, 10:21:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's blasphemy, you're not the problem! It's the weather, the ledge has no wax, something!!
Super Champion Fun Zone

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: November 20, 2022, 10:24:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's blasphemy, you're not the problem! It's the weather, the ledge has no wax, something!!

Pretty sure mercury was in retrograde during my slides

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #672 on: November 20, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »
Hello !

Let me explain,

I'm 5.7 Ft, I have short legs, and 8 for foot size

For some time, I've been trying to find the perfect setup, and every time I think I've found it, there's this fucking madness that comes back:

Deck : I wonder if I shouldn't go down to 7.9, because I've been skating 8.0 for about 6 years, and sometimes some flip tricks are difficult to throw, when I see Luan Oliveira or cody mcentire, I see that they are small and skate small boards.. but however, it seems to me that some pros who are small also ride 8.25 or more (If anyone can testify having met a pro for real, surprised at the size of board and its size)

Is the body size important to have a quality skateboard ? I skate a lot a lot flatground !

Trucks : I've been skating for 15 years, and in my early years, I was kickflip perfectly, and I had low trucks (Venture lows).

However, I lost the kickflip for 10 years now, and I noticed while watching my videos, that since I have high trucks, I very rarely successfully kickflip. (However, no harm with the flip switch..)

But I feel like I sometimes make a superhuman effort to jump for certain tricks!

I also wonder if stockings aren't better for someone short.. but as I said above, I think short skaters ride standard 55mm independents and do all their tricks very, very well. I think it's all in technique and timing.. unless height is really important? (I skate venture high standards)

Damn, what madness, it's funny to think that in our first years of skateboarding, we didn't think of all that!

What do you think ? In relation to what I told you, but also to have a general opinion and also in relation to your skating, I would like to know !

Thank you for your valuable response !

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #673 on: November 20, 2022, 12:21:01 PM »
Hello !

Let me explain,

I'm 5.7 Ft, I have short legs, and 8 for foot size

For some time, I've been trying to find the perfect setup, and every time I think I've found it, there's this fucking madness that comes back:

Deck : I wonder if I shouldn't go down to 7.9, because I've been skating 8.0 for about 6 years, and sometimes some flip tricks are difficult to throw, when I see Luan Oliveira or cody mcentire, I see that they are small and skate small boards.. but however, it seems to me that some pros who are small also ride 8.25 or more (If anyone can testify having met a pro for real, surprised at the size of board and its size)

Is the body size important to have a quality skateboard ? I skate a lot a lot flatground !

Trucks : I've been skating for 15 years, and in my early years, I was kickflip perfectly, and I had low trucks (Venture lows).

However, I lost the kickflip for 10 years now, and I noticed while watching my videos, that since I have high trucks, I very rarely successfully kickflip. (However, no harm with the flip switch..)

But I feel like I sometimes make a superhuman effort to jump for certain tricks!

I also wonder if stockings aren't better for someone short.. but as I said above, I think short skaters ride standard 55mm independents and do all their tricks very, very well. I think it's all in technique and timing.. unless height is really important? (I skate venture high standards)

Damn, what madness, it's funny to think that in our first years of skateboarding, we didn't think of all that!

What do you think ? In relation to what I told you, but also to have a general opinion and also in relation to your skating, I would like to know !

Thank you for your valuable response !
try venture hollows and work on your technique
maybe a smaller wheelbase would help
what board are you on right now?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #674 on: November 20, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
I skated 7.4-7.6 with Venture and Thunder lows from like 1997-2001. I then stepped up to an 8 after seeing taller skaters ride them as I was 6 foot 3 at age 15, but with a size 10 shoe. Most of my flip tricks were barely popped and mostly based on pressure aside from kickflips and their variants. Going up to an 8 actually helped me do them better.

Fast forward many, many years including lots of time away from doing anything but cruising and ollie'ing up curbs. Trucks are almost always highs and 8.25 seems to be the starting point size. Most people my height ride 8.38-9 these days with various wheelbases and shit. Boards are 3/4" longer, longer wheelbases, and much different amounts of concave. I've ridden as high as 8.5x32.25 which was 1.25in longer, 1.1in wider, and with .75in longer wheelbase, 6.5mm higher trucks, and 4mm higher wheels than my old 7.4 I learned kickflips and 360 flips on. Those same flip tricks are probably better despite having significant injuries limiting the movement of both of my legs. Just takes some patience to adjust.

I actually have tried riding an 8, Venture low's, and shorter wheelbases and found no reason to go back to such a setup. It's easier to do shitty, faster flips, but is less stable, has less room to land on, and just isn't as fun to ride.

skatebruh

• Rep: 30
« Reply #675 on: November 20, 2022, 03:30:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure Luan skates Indy standards and his deck looks super flat in footage. Try getting a flatter deck before you change up everything else. My flip tricks feel way more consistent with flatter kicks.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #676 on: November 20, 2022, 05:08:12 PM »
Regardless of your preferences or what has been done in the past, the best move is get used to what’s out there so you aren’t losing your mind chasing shit around….

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
« Reply #677 on: November 21, 2022, 07:32:38 AM »
I'm pretty sure Luan skates Indy standards and his deck looks super flat in footage. Try getting a flatter deck before you change up everything else. My flip tricks feel way more consistent with flatter kicks.

There's a Brazilian ledge ripper who, for some reason, is living up here in the Northwest these days. He's sponsored back in Brazil, but a relative nobody in terms of professional skaters. Anyway, he skates a pancake flat ~7.5" deck with Indy 129s and informs me that this is more or less the norm among Brazilian skaters.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #678 on: November 21, 2022, 08:09:33 AM »

Same.  Powell decks have some of the flattest kicks (18 degrees) and I am most consistent on them.  Graphics are horrible and I have been known to skate a Mini Logo to avoid the Powell skulls. 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #679 on: November 27, 2022, 05:42:43 PM »
fuuukkkk.

About 8-10 months ago I decided to go Indy on all the boards I ride most often. I bought some 144 hollows to go with my 149 ti and 159 hollow forged. A few months ago I was able to get two more sets of Ti 159s for about $80 so I picked them up.  I still had a setup with Stage 8 146s, and two with Ace that I would very rarely mess around with in the bowl.

I'm turning 50 next month.  A year ago I was able to ollie over 5 boards, and this summer I couldn't come close.  I chalked it up to skating mostly transition and getting older. 

This afternoon I was cleaning the garage and found my Thunder 149 ti that I had on the board when I made it over the 5 and decided to put them on a deck again.   Dammit if I didn't add 6 inches to my ollie.  I may be able to do it again.

Madness again!!!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: November 28, 2022, 01:32:20 AM »
fuuukkkk.

About 8-10 months ago I decided to go Indy on all the boards I ride most often. I bought some 144 hollows to go with my 149 ti and 159 hollow forged. A few months ago I was able to get two more sets of Ti 159s for about $80 so I picked them up.  I still had a setup with Stage 8 146s, and two with Ace that I would very rarely mess around with in the bowl.

I'm turning 50 next month.  A year ago I was able to ollie over 5 boards, and this summer I couldn't come close.  I chalked it up to skating mostly transition and getting older. 

This afternoon I was cleaning the garage and found my Thunder 149 ti that I had on the board when I made it over the 5 and decided to put them on a deck again.   Dammit if I didn't add 6 inches to my ollie.  I may be able to do it again.

Madness again!!!

50 yo ollieing 5 boards is probably nbd? Put that on youtube/insta/thrasher cover

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #681 on: November 28, 2022, 03:12:10 AM »
Expand Quote
fuuukkkk.

Madness again!!!
[close]

50 yo ollieing 5 boards is probably nbd? Put that on youtube/insta/thrasher cover

I'll take this over the girl who just FS Crooked Grinded the Hollywood 16
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1106
« Reply #682 on: November 28, 2022, 06:11:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuuukkkk.

Madness again!!!
[close]

[close]

I'll take this over the girl who just FS Crooked Grinded the Hollywood 16

Huge component of madness is the age/declining physical abilities…
Indys with huge wheels used to give me high, very inconsistent pop.
I much prefer the snap with thunders.
I really support the goal: I’ve never been a goal oriented person, preferring to just fuck around and see what works out, and as such do not really progress, in any area of life. How high is 5 boards? I had an entirely internal, mumbled, conversation with myself about clearing a tennis net (I’m well into my 40’s), went so far as going to a court with no board and decided I was being delusional. Gun to head I don’t think I could ollie 30”, after training.
Based off your comments earlier in the thread about powells being flat, I looked at some of their stuff, got confused and exited. Is there a shape concave guide im missing? I really like flat boards, but not sure it’s worth it.

Bo Turners Masonic Fish

« Reply #683 on: November 28, 2022, 06:49:23 AM »
fuuukkkk.

Madness again!!!

I feel this 100%. Every time I put Ventures on a board, my pop game improves immensely and I am shocked by how snappy everything feels. But as an old, mostly point A to B and curb skater, the stiff turn and slower grind just do not compare to my Indys. I rationally know the latter is where I need to be, but that whiff of youth from the Ventures is so sweet and tempting.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: November 28, 2022, 09:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote
fuuukkkk.

Madness again!!!
[close]

This was a year and a half ago at 48.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNv9LyDBjBi/ 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: November 28, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »

I feel this 100%. Every time I put Ventures on a board, my pop game improves immensely and I am shocked by how snappy everything feels. But as an old, mostly point A to B and curb skater, the stiff turn and slower grind just do not compare to my Indys. I rationally know the latter is where I need to be, but that whiff of youth from the Ventures is so sweet and tempting.

Ventures are probably the only popular truck I haven't tried, and I haven't been all that interested in them - for the reasons you mentions.  At my age, I'm not opposed to buying a set to get just enough boost to get over a stack one last time.  I relate to the Tony Hawk videos where he retires a trick. There are some tricks I landed in 2020 that I don't know if I'll ever do again - like the ugliest fakie impossible I have seen.  Every year when the snow flies (like today) signaling the end of a season, I wonder what I'm going to actually be able to get back in March. 

I went to all Indy early this year because I thought it would make it easier to do tricks.  Consistency.  Better to get used to one thing than to use completely different setups.  But...  I skate very different depending on where I am.  Does it make sense to be trying double kickflips on the same board as I use in an 11' bowl?    Different boards for different spots - and maybe that means I use Thunder when I'm skating flatground and at the street park, Indy in transition, and a big fat Ace 66 when I'm doing old-man curb sessions. 

Maybe it's ok to have the madness. 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: November 28, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »
How high is 5 boards? I had an entirely internal, mumbled, conversation with myself about clearing a tennis net (I’m well into my 40’s), went so far as going to a court with no board and decided I was being delusional. Gun to head I don’t think I could ollie 30”, after training.

Looking at that stack, it's mostly 8.38-8.5 boards, with one 8" in it.  I just did a similar stack and measured it to be about 28.5", give or take a little.  Tennis nets are 36" in the center.  Pickleball are 34".  I'm not doing either at this age.

Based off your comments earlier in the thread about powells being flat, I looked at some of their stuff, got confused and exited. Is there a shape concave guide im missing? I really like flat boards, but not sure it’s worth it.

They have a flat nose/tail - 18 degrees.  The DLX concave is often around 19.  Steeper Enjoi/Almost are 21 tail with 24 nose. 

The actual concave is more medium.

https://www.skateone.com/manufacturing   Current popsicles 8.5" and under are using the K20 concave.

Powell is now doing their maple popsicles in China at the same factory as the Mini Logo.  I honestly don't know if there is one bit of difference in the wood, and Mini Logo are 2 for $50 at skateone right now - with better graphics, because a blank deck is better looking than 95% of Powell graphics. Free shipping at $60. 

I am currently on a Flight, which is nicer and US built.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #687 on: November 28, 2022, 11:06:29 AM »
Expand Quote
How high is 5 boards? I had an entirely internal, mumbled, conversation with myself about clearing a tennis net (I’m well into my 40’s), went so far as going to a court with no board and decided I was being delusional. Gun to head I don’t think I could ollie 30”, after training.
[close]

Looking at that stack, it's mostly 8.38-8.5 boards, with one 8" in it.  I just did a similar stack and measured it to be about 28.5", give or take a little.  Tennis nets are 36" in the center.  Pickleball are 34".  I'm not doing either at this age.

Expand Quote
[close]

They have a flat nose/tail - 18 degrees.  The DLX concave is often around 19.  Steeper Enjoi/Almost are 21 tail with 24 nose. 

The actual concave is more medium.

https://www.skateone.com/manufacturing   Current popsicles 8.5" and under are using the K20 concave.

Powell is now doing their maple popsicles in China at the same factory as the Mini Logo.  I honestly don't know if there is one bit of difference in the wood, and Mini Logo are 2 for $50 at skateone right now - with better graphics, because a blank deck is better looking than 95% of Powell graphics. Free shipping at $60. 

I am currently on a Flight, which is nicer and US built.
It only really matters what width the top and bottom boards are. Since this is about madness/going overboard if the idea of a tennis net puts you off you could get a running hurdle. They're designed to fall over safely if the person doesn't clear them and are adjustable height. Kids ones prob go right down to 20 inches or something

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #688 on: November 28, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »
String draped across a couple of parking cones can work too. It’ll just pull out of the tape if you hit it instead of grabbing your legs and sending you face first to the other side, which is a fucking nightmare.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #689 on: November 28, 2022, 06:01:36 PM »
Not you.
 Unless the curb/ledge is completely vertical you get a lot of wheel drag when you stand on it. Standards have more material on the pivot cavity so that helps on stuff that isn’t 90*.