Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86524 times)

MOE SYZLAK

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 824
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #750 on: December 08, 2022, 08:08:37 AM »
Been contemplating changing my whole set up.
I’ve been skating 8s with Thunder 147s for the past 3-4 years. I sized down from 8.25, which I skated for 15 or so years..
I’ve been skating a lot of big chunky DC cupsoles lately and I feel like they kinda dwarf the 8s
Been contemplating going back to 8.25 and getting back on some ventures. Maybe sizing down to 52- 53mm..
changing my entire set up gives me serious anxiety.

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #751 on: December 08, 2022, 08:27:17 AM »
I’ve been skating 8s with Thunder 147s for the past 3-4 years. I sized down from 8.25, which I skated for 15 or so years..
I’ve been skating a lot of big chunky DC cupsoles lately and I feel like they kinda dwarf the 8s
Been contemplating going back to 8.25 and getting back on some ventures. Maybe sizing down to 52- 53mm..

Changing too much at once is always a dangerous game to play for me. If I manage to restrain my madness to changing only one variable at a time, I feel like I have a better idea of knowing if it worked out for the better.

Maybe Ishod it and try the 147s with extra washers on an 8.25 first and let it evolve from there?

*Edit*
I'm on an 8.25 with 139 Indys with extra washers and it's working out great skating-wise. Aesthetically, I like the proportions of a wider Indy and that's the only thing making me want to size up. But that's my own madness issue.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #752 on: December 08, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
147 to venture high will be a 4mm jump in height AND push the wheels out. That is assuming same basic wheelbase and deck dimensions. Sizing down wheels 1-2mm might not make it feel exactly the same either you'd need a mellower deck to kinda get close.

If you have the means then go for it. Skateboards aren't cars worse case you hate it after 6-7 sessions just give it away to a kid. But definitely don't microtweak it to perfection. Use the smallest wheels you would rationally tolerate and if it doesn't work it's not going to magically work.

IpathCats

« Reply #753 on: December 08, 2022, 09:35:31 AM »

I'd just try an 8.25 as your next deck keeping everything else the same, to see if its all in your head. Like others have said, changing too much at once will make it hard to know what component is making each difference.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #754 on: December 08, 2022, 11:15:40 AM »
I hate all of you. I’m out skating right now, and I have just discovered “washers madness” for the first time. This never would have happened without your help. Currently running 3/1 on 8.25 with Indy forged 144s…and really liking it…halfway between 144/149s…
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

IpathCats

« Reply #755 on: December 08, 2022, 11:25:28 AM »
I hate all of you. I’m out skating right now, and I have just discovered “washers madness” for the first time. This never would have happened without your help. Currently running 3/1 on 8.25 with Indy forged 144s…and really liking it…halfway between 144/149s…

lmfao sorry man.

But you're welcome for those lovely flush axel nuts and slightly more hanger space

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #756 on: December 08, 2022, 11:55:58 AM »
I'm all in on the washer madness

If you normally run one washer on the inside and bump it up to three, you get about 3-4 extra mm of truck, which is about 1/8 of an inch. That legitimately lands you right in between truck sizes in most cases

this is all insane, but i love it

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #757 on: December 08, 2022, 11:57:55 AM »
I came here for madness “support.” It just got worse. This thread is basically the liquor store that trades in AA sobriety chips for free booze. It should be called the “Madness Worsening Thread.” God damn washer insanity…but damn, my set-up was feeling so good today… :)

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 617
« Reply #758 on: December 08, 2022, 12:14:08 PM »
I came here for madness “support.” It just got worse. This thread is basically the liquor store that trades in AA sobriety chips for free booze. It should be called the “Madness Worsening Thread.” God damn washer insanity…but damn, my set-up was feeling so good today… :)

Let's just be thankful. If some irrelevant changes to your wooden toy are what you're worrying about, your life is hella easy

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #759 on: December 08, 2022, 12:19:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let's just be thankful. If some irrelevant changes to your wooden toy are what you're worrying about, your life is hella easy

Well said.

IpathCats

« Reply #760 on: December 08, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BIG FAX

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #761 on: December 08, 2022, 01:09:31 PM »
The once or twice when I put two washers on the inside of the truck, the Nylock nut did not seem to be engaging and I immediately switched back.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: December 08, 2022, 01:27:39 PM »
The once or twice when I put two washers on the inside of the truck, the Nylock nut did not seem to be engaging and I immediately switched back.

Yeah, I am kind of waiting for a wheel to fall off. :)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 725
« Reply #763 on: December 08, 2022, 01:47:20 PM »
Anyone skate one of those Worrest twin tale decks?  Did you like it?

Twin tail* decks. Maybe it tells two tales as well a la Charles Dickens

Pasta Monster

« Reply #764 on: December 08, 2022, 02:14:07 PM »

I got the twin tail slick twice and enjoyed it. 8.3 with a 14.38 or 14.4 wheelbase, if I remember the sticker correctly. They felt better to me with Thunder Hollow Lights compared to Venture Lights. Even though my preference is for FA/Hockey Shape #1 or Real SE boards, I’d get another one.

IpathCats

« Reply #765 on: December 08, 2022, 02:46:33 PM »

Yes, I skate them a lot. Like 4 decks in a row at one point. I love them. If the length/WB was a little longer I would probably ride them exclusively.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #766 on: December 08, 2022, 02:58:48 PM »
This site has ruined my brain. 

I grabbed set of the Pig bushings to test out to see if they are cold weather resistant, but the bottoms are too tall for Ventures.

I put them in my set of Royals since they fit perfectly so I can still test the cold weather resistance.  If they are I'm going to spend the time to cut them down to make em fit in the Ventures.

Unless someone can tell me which bushings don't freeze so I can spend more money on those.

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #767 on: December 08, 2022, 03:11:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I got the twin tail slick twice and enjoyed it. 8.3 with a 14.38 or 14.4 wheelbase, if I remember the sticker correctly. They felt better to me with Thunder Hollow Lights compared to Venture Lights. Even though my preference is for FA/Hockey Shape #1 or Real SE boards, I’d get another one.

Word thanks - I’ll probably skate it with Aces cause the wheelbase is a little longer for me

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: December 08, 2022, 03:13:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, I skate them a lot. Like 4 decks in a row at one point. I love them. If the length/WB was a little longer I would probably ride them exclusively.

Yeah I love Bobby (who doesn’t) and feel like skating another slick so I was thinking about picking one up.  I wish they were a little longer but oh well, if it’s good enough for Bobby, I’m sure it will be good enough for 4-5 weeks of mediocre slappy crook and switch noseslide variations

poodude

• Rep: 22
« Reply #769 on: December 08, 2022, 03:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did 3 washers on the inside of an indy 144 with 52mm spitfires; a wheel did fall off during a flat ground trick. Went down to 2 where the axel is perfectly flush to the nut and had no issues since. A side effect of the washers is also that when the board hits on the side I don't mush up the axel threads.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #770 on: December 08, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »

I just had one. It was fine. My nollie pop on it was really good. Oddly I didn't like it much for manual and it felt harder to level out certain tricks with such a small and mellow nose. It's a cool shape and I might ride it after my current DLX 8.25 is up.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #771 on: December 08, 2022, 04:53:46 PM »
are 8.75 trucks harder to flip vs 8.5 trucks on the same size deck?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #772 on: December 08, 2022, 06:16:59 PM »
I'm all in on the washer madness

If you normally run one washer on the inside and bump it up to three, you get about 3-4 extra mm of truck, which is about 1/8 of an inch. That legitimately lands you right in between truck sizes in most cases

this is all insane, but i love it

Great, I have mixed thickness washers on my setup right now and it's fucking with me. Guess I know how I'm spending my lunch break.

are 8.75 trucks harder to flip vs 8.5 trucks on the same size deck?

Just went from 8.25 to 8.5 so your experience may vary. Straight flip tricks need 5% more effort but more satisfying when caught. 180 flip tricks are similar in needing more effort but also an adjustment in foot placement. My go-to FS Flip required me to have less front foot on the board to get the flip. Still figuring out the placement for 360 flips, seeing more board under me gives me the confidence to catch them bolts, but I can't get the weight distribution on the scoop to not jump beyond my board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #773 on: December 08, 2022, 06:30:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I did 3 washers on the inside of an indy 144 with 52mm spitfires; a wheel did fall off during a flat ground trick. Went down to 2 where the axel is perfectly flush to the nut and had no issues since. A side effect of the washers is also that when the board hits on the side I don't mush up the axel threads.

The main thing with all the washer additions is having nuts that still have decent nyloc on them.

That is not to say always have a bag of spare nuts, but depending on how often you change things out, if the nut is starting to get finger tight where you like it, I would be switching it out for a new one, regardless of where the nut sits on the axle.

Like many other things, you can buy a box of axle nuts (along with kingpin and deck bolt nuts) for very little from hardware wholesale suppliers and it will save any issues - directly or on ebay.

More often than not I have three washers on the inside only - don't need any on the outside as the nut pretty much has its own built in washer nowdays, but other people I know are still so used to having a washer on the outside so I would not try to change anyone's mind there.

On some trucks the axle is offset so sometimes I need four on one side and three on the other or something similar.  Yes OCD kicks in there too, so I often just run the same number of whatever will fit comfortably on both sides.

As to washers, you can get different width washers too, some brands having thicker ones, some having thinner ones.  The bulk buy I got from ebay most recently were a lot thinner than the standard ones, which at first I didn't like but now I find that it is easier to mix and match to make it exactly how far out I need them - all that depending on the brand of truck, the state of the axle and also the brand of bearings, of which some sit wider and some are way more narrow on the axle. 

Running spacers between bearings usually means one less washer on too, but that is another story entirely.

Edit:

I prefer my wheels flush or just under the deck line, so usually with bigger wheels they sit well on 149s on 8.5 decks, or slightly smaller wheels on 149s on 8.38 size boards, all with three washers on the insides, but I still have maximum grind space in width of truck with the nuts on flush and a touch of wiggle room in the bearings and no nuts falling off for these boards.

Been doing that for a long time, and really liking it, but in experimenting, going up to 159s without inside washers just feels weird, in the same way that riding 144s with maximum washers also feels weird, so those few mm really make such a big difference when muscle memory is so ingrained.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 06:39:33 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #774 on: December 08, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »
I got a bag of axel nuts because I deserve them…..

And I land primo a lot…

IpathCats

« Reply #775 on: December 08, 2022, 07:28:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I love Bobby (who doesn’t) and feel like skating another slick so I was thinking about picking one up.  I wish they were a little longer but oh well, if it’s good enough for Bobby, I’m sure it will be good enough for 4-5 weeks of mediocre slappy crook and switch noseslide variations

I've got two on ice right now haha. Will probably set one up next.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #776 on: December 08, 2022, 09:28:14 PM »
I got a bag of axel nuts because I deserve them…..

And I land primo a lot…

100 should last me a while, the moment the nut doesn't fit into the skate tool I'm tossing it.

Same for kingpin nuts and washers, buy them in bulk and swap when needed.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #777 on: December 09, 2022, 06:25:37 AM »
The main thing with all the washer additions is having nuts that still have decent nyloc on them.

Local shop lost their lease awhile back and went out bid'ness. Owner gave me a big 'ole bag of nuts on the way out. When I went up to three washers the other day, I put on four new nuts for this exact reason...we'll see how she holds.

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #778 on: December 09, 2022, 07:18:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did you try putting the nut with the nylock facing inside the hanger?

IpathCats

« Reply #779 on: December 09, 2022, 09:27:32 AM »
yea, def dont use so many washers that you dont engage all of the nylock haha, that's no good.