Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86118 times)

notinternetfamous

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 310
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #810 on: January 23, 2023, 01:49:47 PM »
I have the shoe madness more than any other kind of madness. If my feet are uncomfortable or get sore fast it makes everything suck. I wish dunks were easier to get. Seems like the perfect shoe for me.

Vulcs skate the best for me but my feet get so sore. I guess I need support more than I need heavy cushioning. Has anyone put Superfeet in a vulc and had favorable results?

I'm running Superfeet Adapt Run insoles in my Nike SB Blazer GT's and they feel real good

OhioGuy

• Rep: 66
« Reply #811 on: February 01, 2023, 07:00:30 AM »
Bought some sale decks with graphics I don’t really like. Now my new madness is, “I can’t skate these ugly ass graphics.”

The shape is all that should matter. But I don’t do boardslides or anything really to scratch up the bottoms of my decks, so I have to look at the graphics for like a month or two.

I just switched out a perfectly good Tactics deck cause I hated the graphic. It’s amazing the stuff that can get into your head 😔

IpathCats

« Reply #812 on: February 01, 2023, 07:23:05 AM »
Bought some sale decks with graphics I don’t really like. Now my new madness is, “I can’t skate these ugly ass graphics.”

The shape is all that should matter. But I don’t do boardslides or anything really to scratch up the bottoms of my decks, so I have to look at the graphics for like a month or two.

I just switched out a perfectly good Tactics deck cause I hated the graphic. It’s amazing the stuff that can get into your head 😔

Stickers/spray paint

OhioGuy

« Reply #813 on: February 01, 2023, 07:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stickers/spray paint
Yeah that’s what I plan on doing when I circle back to it lol

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #814 on: February 01, 2023, 07:51:47 AM »
It’s amazing the stuff that can get into your head 😔

I don't think so, at all. When you look at your gear, it should stoke you out. It should make you happy. It should make you smile. If you look down, and you don't like what you see, it's absolutely going to have an impact on your mood/mental state, and that's going to carry over to your session.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #815 on: February 01, 2023, 08:00:14 AM »
There’s a thread about removing graphics from decks and using a small amount of acetone was brought up.  I have a deck that I’m on the fence about the graphic and the shape and will probably experiment with it by trying to remove the graphic and making wheel wells

OhioGuy

« Reply #816 on: February 01, 2023, 08:07:43 AM »
Expand Quote
It’s amazing the stuff that can get into your head 😔
[close]

I don't think so, at all. When you look at your gear, it should stoke you out. It should make you happy. It should make you smile. If you look down, and you don't like what you see, it's absolutely going to have an impact on your mood/mental state, and that's going to carry over to your session.
I can see that. I do skate better when I’m stoked on my gear. I have a Real Mason Silva deck with this girl in a field waving to some spaceships that have seemingly left her behind and it always makes me smile.

But at the same time, I wonder if I’m just making excuses to switch shit out. Like I’m on this thing right now too where I want nothing on my trucks, no color, no writing, just silver cause it looks cleaner and goes with everything. Part of me is like, “This shouldn’t matter, it skates the same!” But it does 😭

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #817 on: February 01, 2023, 08:18:15 AM »
Part of me is like, “This shouldn’t matter, it skates the same!” But it does 😭

Not to pour gasoline on your madness, but if bums you out, it does not skate the same; one make you feel bad, one doesn't. The experience is wholly different.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1025
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #818 on: February 01, 2023, 04:09:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not to pour gasoline on your madness, but if bums you out, it does not skate the same; one make you feel bad, one doesn't. The experience is wholly different.

To me, it is absolutely everything to have a setup I am stoked on, shoes and clothes I am comfortable in, which will then put me in a good frame of mind before I even step on a board that day.

Yes there are some boards with some graphics that I am not stoked on, that I scraped off or painted over, along with everything else that is set up to work, or changed to fit to make my mental state willing to have a good skate day.

I have taken graphics off decks, trucks and wheels, just to have things I know work well, with out whatever else was going on to make things weird, just for starters.

More often than not, my setup has plain silver Indy (or other brand) trucks, Classic Spitfire wheels logo removed from both sides, only black shields on bearings,  whatever deck I am on that day, often blanked just because the graphics annoy me, two silver bolts at the front when plain black grip, or all black bolts if I have anything like cut up grip to see the nice stain of the board.

Sometimes I will not skate a board as much with nice clean graphics, but once they are a bit scuffed or the graphic taken off, I don't have to think about the graphics at all and can skate without having to worry about how it will or will not slide or grip on the paint too.

How's that for madness???

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #819 on: February 01, 2023, 04:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

To me, it is absolutely everything to have a setup I am stoked on, shoes and clothes I am comfortable in, which will then put me in a good frame of mind before I even step on a board that day.

Yes there are some boards with some graphics that I am not stoked on, that I scraped off or painted over, along with everything else that is set up to work, or changed to fit to make my mental state willing to have a good skate day.

I have taken graphics off decks, trucks and wheels, just to have things I know work well, with out whatever else was going on to make things weird, just for starters.

More often than not, my setup has plain silver Indy (or other brand) trucks, Classic Spitfire wheels logo removed from both sides, only black shields on bearings,  whatever deck I am on that day, often blanked just because the graphics annoy me, two silver bolts at the front when plain black grip, or all black bolts if I have anything like cut up grip to see the nice stain of the board.

Sometimes I will not skate a board as much with nice clean graphics, but once they are a bit scuffed or the graphic taken off, I don't have to think about the graphics at all and can skate without having to worry about how it will or will not slide or grip on the paint too.

Perseverating over the “difference” 53mm vs 52mm wheels make when locking into a f/s 5-0, that’s madness. What you illuminated above? That’s just common sense. :)

OhioGuy

« Reply #820 on: February 01, 2023, 04:19:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

🙇🙇🙇😅

Yeah I’m not this far gone, yet lol.

switchfakie

« Reply #821 on: February 01, 2023, 05:32:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
🙇🙇🙇😅

besides the bearing cover part, i have this as well man

but honestly not even that bad once you get used to it, i just think of it as knowing what you want and not settling for less

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 96
« Reply #822 on: February 01, 2023, 07:22:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
🙇🙇🙇😅

[close]

but honestly not even that bad once you get used to it, i just think of it as knowing what you want and not settling for less

I got some Bronson g2s for cheap and they are an annoying bright orange.  Bones reds never bothered me but this orange was too much.  Luckily they felt sluggish to me and I just happened to be reading the bearings thread about bones Swiss so I ordered my first pair of Swiss after years riding bones reds and various other cheap bearings

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #823 on: February 01, 2023, 08:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
🙇🙇🙇😅

[close]

[close]

I got some Bronson g2s for cheap and they are an annoying bright orange.  Bones reds never bothered me but this orange was too much.  Luckily they felt sluggish to me and I just happened to be reading the bearings thread about bones Swiss so I ordered my first pair of Swiss after years riding bones reds and various other cheap bearings

To be fair I have got other colour shields on bearings, along with some without shields, but having Bones Swiss with black shields is where this came from or developed, I think, but my main boards definitely are way more precise in look, colours, everything exactly how it should be. 

That way I knew I was on what I found to be the best, longest lasting bearings and they don't stand out so from riding Bones Swiss for a long time, it just made sense to me that a setup with the black shields was just right.

Some of those sets of bearings with two blue, two green, two yellow and two pink were too much though.  I found some old shields from other bearings and replaced them, just so I didn't have to look at multi coloured mix ups.

IpathCats

« Reply #824 on: February 06, 2023, 07:03:25 AM »
Been on the indy standard plates with ti hanger (149) setup for a while with no issues, however when i started that combo i was on some 54mm f4 classics which probably got worn down close to 51 or so by the time they were too small for my liking.

After that I got a set of 56mm f4 classics (my most skated wheel) and things didn't feel quite as good.

I put the forged plates back on this weekend and things seemed good, pop feel wise.

So now im trying to decide between forged plates and 56mm f4 classics, or cast plates and 54mm classics.

pinch is better on the 56mm/forged setup, and the larger wheels plow through crap a bit easier.

However the cast plates sound/grind better, and the weight distribution of the heavier baseplate with the lighter wheels makes my board feel nice.

Wheelbite isnt really an issue for me on either of these setups, but it is obv a little worse on the 56mm/forged combo.

What do you lunatics think about this situation and the tradeoffs mentioned above?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #825 on: February 06, 2023, 07:09:57 AM »
Been on the indy standard plates with ti hanger (149) setup for a while with no issues, however when i started that combo i was on some 54mm f4 classics which probably got worn down close to 51 or so by the time they were too small for my liking.

After that I got a set of 56mm f4 classics (my most skated wheel) and things didn't feel quite as good.

I put the forged plates back on this weekend and things seemed good, pop feel wise.

So now im trying to decide between forged plates and 56mm f4 classics, or cast plates and 54mm classics.

pinch is better on the 56mm/forged setup, and the larger wheels plow through crap a bit easier.

However the cast plates sound/grind better, and the weight distribution of the heavier baseplate with the lighter wheels makes my board feel nice.

Wheelbite isnt really an issue for me on either of these setups, but it is obv a little worse on the 56mm/forged combo.

What do you lunatics think about this situation and the tradeoffs mentioned above?

Curious: what width deck you riding with these?

IpathCats

« Reply #826 on: February 06, 2023, 07:21:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

currently the 8.3 dlx twin with a  14.4 wb. I go back and forth between that and the 8.38 dlx shape with the 14.5 wb

LebowskisRug

« Reply #827 on: February 06, 2023, 07:44:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Pinch is always worse for me on bigger wheels. I don't see a point in going over 54. If I'm skating shitty terrain  I would go wider first. Personally a wider wheel distributes vibrations and will carry speed better and give me a more consistent pop feel.

IpathCats

« Reply #828 on: February 06, 2023, 07:53:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Pinch is always worse for me on bigger wheels. I don't see a point in going over 54. If I'm skating shitty terrain  I would go wider first. Personally a wider wheel distributes vibrations and will carry speed better and give me a more consistent pop feel.

yea the 56mm classic bumps up in proportions compared to the 54 so its wider

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #829 on: February 06, 2023, 07:57:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

currently the 8.3 dlx twin with a  14.4 wb. I go back and forth between that and the 8.38 dlx shape with the 14.5 wb

I have two set ups. An 8.25 and 8.75 (both DLX). I have slightly bigger wheels on the 8.75. Forged Indy on both. This may be nothing but, well, madness, but I feel like the respective height of each set-up is equal to their size proportions, if that makes any sense. I was asking about your deck width, because I ride forged with 53mm classics on the 8.25. Anything over that height really starts to send me down a death-spiral of anxiety. I do like the feel of standard plates, but can't deal with the 55mm height. Yeah, could drop down wheel size, but that leads to it's own problems. I was going to comment that your set-up, if on the smaller side (e.g. 8.2 - 8.3) gave me a lot of anxiety because of the height, but thought it might as be a "proportional" height on a bigger board...so, figured I asked first. But I digress (into madness)...

As to your actual question...hard call. Sounds like you've got both options running about the same height. The trade off then is mostly the benefits of wheel size variance, and the forged/cast feel. Which is a bigger factor? 56mm will certainly give you more speed, and a more noticeable lock-in on some grinds (I think that would be too much lock-in for me). Aren't 54mm a lot easier to find than 56mm these days, too? I would prolly go with the 56mm/forged option.

IpathCats

« Reply #830 on: February 06, 2023, 08:18:47 AM »

As to your actual question...hard call. Sounds like you've got both options running about the same height.The trade off then is mostly the benefits of wheel size variance, and the forged/cast feel. Which is a bigger factor? 56mm will certainly give you more speed, and a more noticeable lock-in on some grinds (I think that would be too much lock-in for me). Aren't 54mm a lot easier to find than 56mm these days, too? I would prolly go with the 56mm/forged option.

Yea, that's exactly what I'm trying to sort through. In my experiences I find 56mm 99a f4 classics just as much or more than 54s, so i dont think that's an issue i'm worried about. Think I'm just gonna have to give the 54s and cast plates a shot and compare them back to back. I think the deciding factor will be how the board filps/feels in the air. and if the heavier plate really made the difference i thought it did.

I'm glad this is the extent of my madness these days. I'll be happy with either of those setups, and I have each component narrowed down to itself or the size adjacent to it. I'm just nitpicking to try and optimize my setup in hopes of being able to just order a 10 pairs of trucks and 50 sets of wheels.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #831 on: February 06, 2023, 08:54:13 AM »
I think the deciding factor will be how the board filps/feels in the air. and if the heavier plate really made the difference i thought it did.

I barley passed geometry in HS, so I know nothing about physics and the like, but somehow I think where the weight is distributed would make a bigger difference in flip tricks...which is to say that I think more weight on the edge of the board (e.g. wheels) would have a more substantive impact than weight in the center of the board (e.g. plates). Of course, this only (or does it?) only applies to rotation on the lengthwise axis (kickflips vs. shuvs/tre/etc.). Please report back. I am kind of fascinated by this one.

IpathCats

« Reply #832 on: February 06, 2023, 10:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
I think the deciding factor will be how the board filps/feels in the air. and if the heavier plate really made the difference i thought it did.
[close]

I barley passed geometry in HS, so I know nothing about physics and the like, but somehow I think where the weight is distributed would make a bigger difference in flip tricks...which is to say that I think more weight on the edge of the board (e.g. wheels) would have a more substantive impact than weight in the center of the board (e.g. plates). Of course, this only (or does it?) only applies to rotation on the lengthwise axis (kickflips vs. shuvs/tre/etc.). Please report back. I am kind of fascinated by this one.

When you think about how your foot meets the board in the air its rare that the whole bottom of your shoe immediately meets evenly across the board. Its usually a bit uneven. I feel like the  56mm/forged setup tends to bounce around more in the air when i catch my flip tricks since the weight is distributed around the edges more than the 54mm/cast setup.

But again, im just working off what i remembered the 54mm/cast setup to be like a couple decks ago. Should really setup both on the same shape decks and just take them both to the park and kickflip the euro for like an hour while switching between setups and screaming at the sky.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #833 on: February 06, 2023, 11:15:45 AM »
...while switching between setups and screaming at the sky.

I fully support/endorse this. :)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #834 on: February 06, 2023, 03:21:21 PM »
Expand Quote
...while switching between setups and screaming at the sky.
[close]

I fully support/endorse this. :)

Ha yeah totally!!

I would have the two setups and then choose which board depending on what I wanted to skate or do, but that is just me and I have too many of the similar setups for different things, but besides the people who will only ever have just the one setup for everything, there are many others who enjoy and make the different setups with slightly different parts work to their advantage.

Even to the point where you could get 56mm wheels, then once worn down some, they become the "54mm wheels" on the other board so you only need to get one size wheel right there.

Then depending on how long trucks last, standards vs forged hollows, there is nothing to say you can't just get a few of each, or if you just switch out the baseplates, just keep getting standards and only get a set of forged hollows if or when you need the other baseplates.

Probably not helping, but that is my rational thinking with regard to product anyway.

I am all for finding what works, then when someone / somewhere has good discounts or sales, I know exactly what I want to stock up on, so I never run out of what I usually ride or need.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: February 06, 2023, 04:18:14 PM »
Quote from: Mbrimson88
I am all for finding what works, then when someone / somewhere has good discounts or sales, I know exactly what I want to stock up on, so I never run out of what I usually ride or need.

I’m have taken this exact approach for years. I have a little stock pile of my regular gear.

streetmeat

• Rep: 171
« Reply #836 on: February 06, 2023, 05:15:15 PM »
my madness is constantly buying and constantly stocking up but HATING changing things out till they 100% die. i also refuse to have multiple boards setup, so im just sitting on so much shit.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #837 on: February 06, 2023, 07:50:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When you think about how your foot meets the board in the air its rare that the whole bottom of your shoe immediately meets evenly across the board. Its usually a bit uneven. I feel like the  56mm/forged setup tends to bounce around more in the air when i catch my flip tricks since the weight is distributed around the edges more than the 54mm/cast setup.

But again, im just working off what i remembered the 54mm/cast setup to be like a couple decks ago. Should really setup both on the same shape decks and just take them both to the park and kickflip the euro for like an hour while switching between setups and screaming at the sky.

Ben D= raw hanger forged plate…. Rodney= weighted base plates…..

Go figure….

IpathCats

« Reply #838 on: February 07, 2023, 05:32:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ben D= raw hanger forged plate…. Rodney= weighted base plates…..

Go figure….

Ben degros? I thought he just rode standards?

What point are you trying to illustrate here? Sorry, im slow.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #839 on: February 09, 2023, 09:07:12 AM »
I'm having a hard time fighting the urge to buy tensor mags.

I only got 60 bucks for the next 9 days.

I fucking want them. It's super hard to be waxing curbs with tendinitis.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)