Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82682 times)

Ronnie Rodriguez

Gear madness support thread
« on: June 12, 2022, 06:10:23 PM »
Sup pals. Been wanting to do this for a bit, kind of a catch all thread for people to talk about their madness and to hopefully get some clarity / be talked down from making foolish decisions. We'll see.

Anyways, here is my current situation:

Been skating nothing but shaped boards (pretty much) for about two years. I'm kind of over it and want to go back to just skating a popsicle, but I've got a couple unskated eggs and another shaped board I just set up. Do I just suck it up and skate through the stuff I have or do I get a popsicle? Am I making too big of a deal about it?

Worth mentioning I skate my boards for kind of a long time (3-5 months).

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 06:17:31 PM »
Man. I’m gonna be a bad influence and say try the popsicles now it’s an option financially.  If you like it sell the eggs or keep for later. If you don’t like it keep skating your current setup and keep it as back up.

Also I thought this was gonna be a more negative thread like we was just gonna tell each other new wheels won’t make 360 flips easier and stuff like that.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 06:57:50 PM »
Man. I’m gonna be a bad influence and say try the popsicles now it’s an option financially.  If you like it sell the eggs or keep for later. If you don’t like it keep skating your current setup and keep it as back up.

Also I thought this was gonna be a more negative thread like we was just gonna tell each other new wheels won’t make 360 flips easier and stuff like that.

It can still be negative. There is time. I think I might need to be told that a popsicle isn't going to up my flatground game at 39.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 07:05:35 PM »

We'll acknowledge that our gear madness is not getting us anywhere, tone it down for a while, then our minds will wander again.

There is no cure, just varying degrees of gear madness, dependent on how good our last session was.

Been skating nothing but shaped boards (pretty much) for about two years. I'm kind of over it and want to go back to just skating a popsicle, but I've got a couple unskated eggs and another shaped board I just set up. Do I just suck it up and skate through the stuff I have or do I get a popsicle? Am I making too big of a deal about it?

If you're thinking it (and can afford it), then go for it, but don't go full ham on it. Just get the deck and reuse whatever trucks you have available. Then if you don't like the deck pass it to a friend or sell it off, at least you'll know without getting overly invested in the "ecosystem" (new trucks, bushings, wheels).

That's the only way you'll be able to scratch the itch and be at peace.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 08:01:40 PM »
@Ronnie Rodriguez you are the best

@Murge we could do positivity via negativity? Because my treflips are not banging, and I have a stack of equipment…

I really like the idea of this thread.
I too keep equipment for a really long time, like some decks are years and years old.
I might be the most spazzed out as far as my radical swings in what I think works. I just bought 2, 8.5 completes, aaaaaaand now I’m skating a small 8.125 on low 8” trucks. So I’m full of shit.
I’ve used different setups, and the hope and hype from these setups, to get out and skate. I’ve said this before, but I’m basically just doing a really really bad impression of Chico Brenes, where I try my 5 (max) flip tricks on different boards.
A huge part of my gear madness comes from me being extremely susceptible to various skate media, and then the trends of the local youths. The other two main components are: aging, and anxiety. Aging: been skating off and on for many many years. I’ve taken long breaks, but my first board was a variflex twister, and I probably peaked before yeah right. Setups were different then, smaller, so sometimes (more than sometimes) I confuse my lack of ability for an equipment related issue, and also wistfully remember ‘shredding’ on something far different than what I use today…and the anxiety is pretty easy: life is wild, I’ve got more life behind than in front, and skatelife wise, I mean shit, hard to say how long I’ll be able to roll. So instead of wigging out about global apocalypse, or my lack of adult financial success, I attempt to get better at skateboarding from behind a screen, via some alchemy. I mean, it’s embarrassing to write out, but there it is.

So most of my (many) posts in this thread are gonna be like: ‘ohmygod guys did you see Wade’s part? Should I get accel slims!?’

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2022, 08:28:33 PM »
My entire gear life is foolish decisions.  I'm 49 and i KNOW that if i just had the right setup I would be able to land trick X just one more time before I get injured for the 832nd time and never land it again.

Spending another $50 on a new deck or set of trucks or $40 on wheels so I can land it that ONE MORE TIME is worth it.... right?  Right?

So I think I have about 9-12 setups.  I really don't know how many I have.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2022, 09:18:10 PM »
'Add to Cart'

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 09:36:35 PM »
Being injured or otherwise not able to skate enough is the worst. That’s when my madness goes off the charts. Last time I was properly injured I went from 1 setup & 1 cruiser to 8 total. For the last year or so I’ve been too busy with life and sprained my back a while ago so I couldn’t really skate for 2 months. I have 8 setups again and a huge stack of decks & a whole bunch of other stuff. Shoes I still have probably 40 pairs.

I guess the logic is that if I can’t get stoked on skating I try to remedy that by buying skate stuff that’ll get me stoked. The stoke from that is rather superficial though and won’t last for long and is nothing compared to the stoke I get from skating. Although having a setup you’re stoked on is very important for me. But it’s not like I end up disliking my old stuff either. I like them all. I just have too many of them.

Truck madness I’ve been cured from though. Only Aces for quite a few years now. Classic 44s, 55s, 66s and AF1 55s, 60s & 66s depending on the deck. Changing between truck brands was fucking me up way too much. It wasn’t fun anymore.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 10:18:53 PM »
Being injured or otherwise not able to skate enough is the worst. That’s when my madness goes off the charts. Last time I was properly injured I went from 1 setup & 1 cruiser to 8 total. For the last year or so I’ve been too busy with life and sprained my back a while ago so I couldn’t really skate for 2 months. I have 8 setups again and a huge stack of decks & a whole bunch of other stuff. Shoes I still have probably 40 pairs.

I guess the logic is that if I can’t get stoked on skating I try to remedy that by buying skate stuff that’ll get me stoked. The stoke from that is rather superficial though and won’t last for long and is nothing compared to the stoke I get from skating. Although having a setup you’re stoked on is very important for me. But it’s not like I end up disliking my old stuff either. I like them all. I just have too many of them.

Truck madness I’ve been cured from though. Only Aces for quite a few years now. Classic 44s, 55s, 66s and AF1 55s, 60s & 66s depending on the deck. Changing between truck brands was fucking me up way too much. It wasn’t fun anymore.

If a therapist ask me the source of my gear madness, I will point to the COVID-19 pandemic of 2020. Being locked up at home with nowhere to skate will drive a person insane with gear madness.

I'd say step 1 to getting over the madness is to fix truck madness since they change the feel of the deck the most of all components. Do all your fucking around with bushings and pivot cups and promise (lol) yourself to stick to just 1 brand of truck. Then going between decks shapes and sizes will be less of a surprise since you've already locked 1 aspect of the setup (trucks). If you've spent enough time skateboarding you should be able to go between 1/16" difference in decks without issue.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 01:11:51 AM »
@OK I could think of worse choices of elder skatespeople to emulate. I think Chico is a shining example of just doing what we love because we love it.

@Ronnie Rodriguez I echo what others have said. If it's within your financial means, cop the popsicles while holding onto your shaped decks. But if not, keep what you can/must and "KonMari" what you don't "need."

Depending on where you're located and what brands you like to ride, there may or may not be another product shortage or price hike headed your way.

I think for some items - wheels, bushings/trucks, and decks - it will be inevitable. Simply because the petro oligarchs are having a field day with raising prices and profits. So having stock, like many of us do, will help us weather the potential shortages. Though prices will never go back to what they were before.

Also, sussing out what trucks work for us is seriously a big accomplishment, especially given the amount of finite adjustments we tend to discuss ad nauseam here. So if you've got that figured out, as someone else said, that's one major variable that doesn't have to contribute to the madness.

"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

mvdbosch90

• Rep: 20
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 01:52:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We'll acknowledge that our gear madness is not getting us anywhere, tone it down for a while, then our minds will wander again.

There is no cure, just varying degrees of gear madness, dependent on how good our last session was.

Expand Quote
[close]

If you're thinking it (and can afford it), then go for it, but don't go full ham on it. Just get the deck and reuse whatever trucks you have available. Then if you don't like the deck pass it to a friend or sell it off, at least you'll know without getting overly invested in the "ecosystem" (new trucks, bushings, wheels).

Totally agree. On good sessions I'm satisfied with my setup, but after a bad session I immidiately think of what I could change regarding trucks/bushings/wheelbase etc. I also occasionally just have to check if the gras really isn't greener; I mount some old thunder trucks, like the low weight, hate the steering, and go back to ace or indy :P

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 03:16:57 AM »
I'm much more happier when I have one setup. I don't have to decide which one to skate that day. And I progress more when I stick with one. But to each their own.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 05:13:27 AM »
I (fortunately) have never reached the zone of attempting to tweak my gear choices and chase the madness to maximize my skating skills - I feel like I’d drive myself insane doing that cause I overanalyze things to begin with.  I feel like my gear madness comes more from chasing the excitement of trying something new and staying stoked on skating.

I seem to keep evolving with what I compulsively buy and want to try too - when I was younger it was skate shoes, when I fully got back into skating as an adult it was different brands and sizes of trucks, lately since I’ve been skating shaped boards it’s been decks.  I hate breaking in new trucks and have fully accepted that I should just skate Indys but I’ve been out of control with deck purchases for sure.  Instagram certainly doesn’t help seeing so much new product 24/7 especially at local shops.

I say, as long as you can limit you madness to one category of gear and keep getting some usable life out of the other components (i.e. buying tons of decks that all work with the same size/brand trucks, buying tons of wheels but getting some mileage out of your decks/trucks…) go for it.  For me personally, if I try to run multiple set ups simultaneously though I just confuse the hell out of myself.  So having way too many decks and skating one at a time seems to work. 

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 05:16:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It can still be negative. There is time. I think I might need to be told that a popsicle isn't going to up my flatground game at 39.

Oh my comment was directly pointed at myself I just spent a day looking for wheels because I convinced my self I need classics to get 360 flips down. Ha.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »
I'm much more happier when I have one setup. I don't have to decide which one to skate that day. And I progress more when I stick with one. But to each their own.
I recently had the same epiphany.  My quiver was getting out of hand given the fact that I have limited opportunity to skate these days anyway.  So I disassembled all but two and feel much better about it.  Plus now I have a stockpile of spare parts I can mix and match if I feel like making slight adjustments.

Get hungry on it!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 08:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Totally agree. On good sessions I'm satisfied with my setup, but after a bad session I immidiately think of what I could change regarding trucks/bushings/wheelbase etc. I also occasionally just have to check if the gras really isn't greener; I mount some old thunder trucks, like the low weight, hate the steering, and go back to ace or indy :P

I tend to agree but also I recently had a run of bad sessions and I took a look at my setup - razor tailed deck, axled trucks with blown bushings, seized bearings, ancient wheels ~5mm off of where they started - and I bought some new shit and it actually made a huge difference.

I skate two completes and the thing about having one or two setups (rather than an arsenal and a ton of spares) means I actually wear out my components and then feel totally justified in purchasing new ones. No guilt buying new Ace to replace my two year old 144s with 90% of the axle showing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I recently had the same epiphany.  My quiver was getting out of hand given the fact that I have limited opportunity to skate these days anyway.  So I disassembled all but two and feel much better about it.  Plus now I have a stockpile of spare parts I can mix and match if I feel like making slight adjustments.

This is the way. Disassemble everything extraneous and focus on one or two. I was creeping up to four completes a few years ago and I realized that was madness. Even two seems excessive, even though I feel like I can fully justify both.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IpathCats

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 09:53:10 AM »
The madness can be a bit overwhelming sometimes, but it has led me to some improvements over the years. Or at the very least, it has narrowed my scope of general preferences a lot.

Really had no idea about WB and what i was looking for until the madness took hold after returning to skateboarding after like 5 years and everything felt wrong on my skateboard. Now i know 14.4 - 14.5 is my sweet spot.

Pro tip, if you're feeling the madness kick in, try just tightening/loosening your trucks first. Temps affect bushings, temps fluctuate, therefore so do your bushings. Has saved me a few times. I know not all madness is truck related, but most of mine is centered around trucks.

I'm pretty much where i want to be with my wheels im about to try some 54mm 101a classic f4s, and if those dont workout, im getting back on my 56mm 99a classic f4s. Might try some 56mm 101s eventually, but you get the picture, im within a small rage of parameters now, thanks to years of madness and tinkering. my decks/bearings/grip/hardware have been "solved" lol.

IpathCats

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 10:12:22 AM »

So most of my (many) posts in this thread are gonna be like: ‘ohmygod guys did you see Wade’s part? Should I get accel slims!?’

As good as he made them look, no, you should not. Those shoes are built with the quality of something intended to be disposed after a couple uses. Shitty materials, shitty insole, floppy ass midsole. Are well constructed, mid-weight cupsoles too much to ask for? (apparently yes)

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 10:14:39 AM »
Sup pals. Been wanting to do this for a bit, kind of a catch all thread for people to talk about their madness and to hopefully get some clarity / be talked down from making foolish decisions. We'll see.

Anyways, here is my current situation:

Worth mentioning I skate my boards for kind of a long time (3-5 months).

Why not keep the shapes going + a popsicle or 2. I like shapes also and usually run an 8.6 and 8.75 popsicle as well. + a couple 8.5's for techy.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2022, 10:28:17 AM »
My madness is to the point where I have a Google doc listing the exact specs of all my 4 boards and all their parts and specs of those parts. I also keep a list of tricks I've done and want to learn. I'm an OCD list maker til the day I die.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2022, 10:35:15 AM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2022, 10:54:02 AM »
I have 5 boards set up right now I'm feeling shitty about it. Fully committed to commit by the end of 2022.

On the plus side I have committed to the following. Ace trucks, BBS decks, and F4 wheels.

IpathCats

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2022, 11:26:32 AM »
Nice to see the shared sentiment of passing along our extra gear acquired in times of madness. Hooking someone up always feels nice.

And getting trucks for free when you need them feels way better than getting half your money back on some shit you're not crazy about. So if you can manage it, and someone is in need, just hook them up. might end up helping someone else down the line, you know, pay it forward and all that.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2022, 11:34:21 AM »
Got hoarder genetics. Not going into all the therapy but also obsessive about having "enough" or having a full set so my madness often results in me having a ton of the same thing or like say I want a pair of dickies will I get brown or black? Ahhh fuck it I'll get ten pairs so I have every colour.
Key to happiness(for me at least) can be to just simplify as much as possible. I know I like coke the best so why fill my fridge with every soda. Giving stuff away also helps (as others have mentioned) I know I'll pretty much never buy Nike's again because years ago I have some guy a massive jersey bag full of dunks, prods, Omar's etc and now can't bring myself to spend real money on stuff like that again.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2022, 11:35:29 AM »
I started skating a 8" popsicle with ventures and 51mm wheels again and got back nollie flips the same day.

The big change is that I limited myself from doing nothing but slappies. If I want to be able to have good ollies, it means doing it at every opportunity.

My fun shapes weren't fun for what I wanted to be able to do with my old legs.

YMMV.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2022, 01:27:04 PM »
I used to be pretty bad with trucks and stuff but thankfully never went down a bushing rabbit hole or wheel rabbit hole. I don't even really adjust my trucks unless the temps change and make them feel looser.

I think the #1 worst thing anyone with madness can do its hoard equipment or buy shit on sale. Then you end up with a bunch of stuff that you don't need and might not have ever seen. There is enough variance in decks that unless I really know what I am getting it's just too risky.

My recent sin is a 2nd pair of trucks, which means I have 2 boards setup that I can move wheels between and reduces commitment to ending the madness.

Setup 1 seems better for: manuals, frontside flips, quick snap, tailslides, just all around more nimble.

Setup 2 seems better for: kickflips and 360 flips, lofty snap, 180s and nollie 180s.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2022, 01:38:46 PM »
I started skating a 8" popsicle with ventures and 51mm wheels again and got back nollie flips the same day.

The big change is that I limited myself from doing nothing but slappies. If I want to be able to have good ollies, it means doing it at every opportunity.

My fun shapes weren't fun for what I wanted to be able to do with my old legs.

YMMV.

Venture lo’s? I’m basically the same on 8”ish boards: was riding a setup that has 56 conical fulls and 5.2 Jo’s, and then another with forged 147s and 52s…wasn’t a lot of difference in the results.

Where my madness goes ham is wanting to, nay needing to, try something at some extreme end of the spectrum. I’ll skate it once, have ‘the best session ever’, and then never get along with it again.

I love the idea, and practice, of donating items. I often re-buy the trucks I give away. Which is super creepy.

@IpathCats thanks. I knew that was probably the case. Still might, I’ll just lie about it. But for real, a decent cupsole still kinda hard to find.

@Ronnie Rodriguez shaped boards are the cruelest of all temptations. Having one around is a great way for me to lighten up, have fun, get stoked. Can’t do em as my forever tho. Flip tricks, for me, way, way easier on 8-8.5 popsicles. Having one shaped board, one ‘regular’ setup…well that would be progress for me.
As long as I keep my expectations in line with my ever changing skate rallity, I’m generally less bummed when a setup doesn’t workout. Trying to find my ‘one forever, only setup, the last setup, the perfect truck…’ hasn’t worked for me. Yet.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2022, 01:48:25 PM »
Glad to see people are posting.

For some reason I can't tag anyone, but big ups to everyone donating gear. I did a couple big clean outs recently and dropped a bunch of stuff at the local.

I actually had a decent (for me) flatground session on my shaped board today...I think maybe I just needed to get used to the smaller wheels I've been running? So the beast is sleeping for now. If I see a nice pointy-ish popsicle next time I'm at the shop, though...

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2022, 01:52:16 PM »
I got some hi's first, but they weren't cutting it. The lows felt more like home. I think struggling to skate heavier and oddly shaped boards with much looser trucks prior made skating the 8 feel that much easier.

Nowadays, my son's interest in skateboarding is being rekindled so it's good to have a lot of options for him to try to find what works for him. He's just surpassed my height and he's turning 14 soon. I'm his gear sherpa.