Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82696 times)

NickSoapdish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2022, 10:07:52 AM »
Another disappointed Indy guy here (altho I've been riding thunders for a while I know I'll probably be back at some point). Between 2004-2009(whenever thunder finally made a 149) I must of converted twenty people over to indys. like trust me Indy are better than thunder and venture then trust me 149 is better than 139.dont know why I think I just hated all the neon pattern trucks people rode. Now I can't even say what's better about them. It's certainly not the image. In my head they just manual better but then look at all the Manny guys on thunder and venture.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2022, 10:14:22 AM »
Expand Quote

I spent my entire skate lifetime fighting the fact that I actually really like Indys.  Now I’ve reached the acceptance phase and finally started only skating Indys.  I really think Indy 159s are the overall perfect truck.  You can run them basically on 8.38’s all the way up to 9 inch popsicles and on pretty much any shaped board.
[close]

I'm kind of the other way around. I tried a bunch of shit when i was younger, then i tired indys after skating for like 6-7 years. I only skated indys for the longest time. Eventually, I basically stopped skating for a few years, and when i got back into it again more seriously, i got another pair of indys, they were ok for a while, but something just felt off. I basically just chalked it up to me being rusty for a year or so, then i really started getting into my setup after that and started trying other brands again. Really had no recollection of how different the other trucks were, i just always thought indys were the best. The variety of riders on indy is def a testament to their versatility. GT, mason silva, and tom Knox all ride 149s, crazy if you think about it.

I have been thoroughly enjoying my thunder team hollow 148's lately. First thunders ive ridden in like 15 years. They have their tradeoffs, but the turn, popfeel, and pinch really suit my style of skateboarding. The bushings seem kinda shitty though, mine are splitting after a handful of sessions. The baseplate issue is kind of annoying, but im adjusting my slide tricks and they are getting better. Nothing will ever match an indy grind though, just gotta accept that. Lurpivs were pretty damn close though.

There is a small piece of me deep down inside that wants to like thunders but I need my baseplate to get as destroyed as possible on noseslides and tailslides for me to fully bond with my trucks.  I did some good skating on the thunder team hollows (I think) a couple years ago - the hollow ones with the cast baseplate. 

IpathCats

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2022, 10:22:28 AM »
Another disappointed Indy guy here (altho I've been riding thunders for a while I know I'll probably be back at some point). Between 2004-2009(whenever thunder finally made a 149) I must of converted twenty people over to indys. like trust me Indy are better than thunder and venture then trust me 149 is better than 139.dont know why I think I just hated all the neon pattern trucks people rode. Now I can't even say what's better about them. It's certainly not the image. In my head they just manual better but then look at all the Manny guys on thunder and venture.

Ventures are the best manny trucks imo, Kind of a weird manny point compared to other trucks, but man once you get into a manual good, it felt like you could go for fucking miles.

There is a small piece of me deep down inside that wants to like thunders but I need my baseplate to get as destroyed as possible on noseslides and tailslides for me to fully bond with my trucks.  I did some good skating on the thunder team hollows (I think) a couple years ago - the hollow ones with the cast baseplate. 

yea those are the team hollows. I do miss having a big ol baseplate to grind down, it def made some tricks easier. But the wider stance on thunders does more for me as a tall guy. If i went back to indys i def couldnt skate anything under 14.5 wb. and even on that, my stance would be narrower than on thunders.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »
I dunno, the new Primitive video demonstrates that you can get tech and Manny juuuuuust fine on Indys.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2022, 04:22:40 PM »
I dunno, the new Primitive video demonstrates that you can get tech and Manny juuuuuust fine on Indys.
Here's how I think (obviously this isn't 100% true but this is a madness thread) with Indy I can hold a manual or nosegrind or 5-0 really low pretty comfortably. I can be a half inch from dropping into 5050 but it's not a problem then if I want to pop out early or try a flip out I have a ton of leverage. If I've kept my speed it's not too different from just rolling/5050 and trying the trick.
Then with thunders I have to hold it in a pretty specific spot if I go outside it's pretty much either going to drop to 5050 or taildrag or drop out of manual etc. I feel like it's better if you have the transition grinds style and can pop out sort of like a crooked where you use the spring in the bushings or lever off the side of the ledge. I suck at this and can't even explain it properly.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2022, 04:43:27 PM »

I think this is true, buuuuuuut if I’m being bitchy:

Yes pros can skate whatever. Yes some absolutely legendary skating of all types happens on Indys. As it relates to the primitive video: Carlos, and Tiago both skate mids now, no? A truck that’s kinda trying to chase some venture/thunder qualities in pop/pinch. Tre isn’t super tech. Imo there is a reason some of the tech guys skate what they do. It works for that.
I mean Yuto spun a flawless (padless) 540 on vert, with what looked like 5.2 lo’s and 50s. I can’t drop in on the local pool, and wouldn’t dream of doing so on a vertical ramp, but if there was the old gun to head, I wouldn’t be reaching for his setup.
That super tech flippery Jamie Griffin skates indys I think, as does monteiro, Joslin, French Joslin…
All I’m trying to blab on about is pros can use whatever,trucks have unique geometries that help for certain things more than others.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2022, 08:30:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think this is true, buuuuuuut if I’m being bitchy:

Yes pros can skate whatever. Yes some absolutely legendary skating of all types happens on Indys. As it relates to the primitive video: Carlos, and Tiago both skate mids now, no? A truck that’s kinda trying to chase some venture/thunder qualities in pop/pinch. Tre isn’t super tech. Imo there is a reason some of the tech guys skate what they do. It works for that.
I mean Yuto spun a flawless (padless) 540 on vert, with what looked like 5.2 lo’s and 50s. I can’t drop in on the local pool, and wouldn’t dream of doing so on a vertical ramp, but if there was the old gun to head, I wouldn’t be reaching for his setup.
That super tech flippery Jamie Griffin skates indys I think, as does monteiro, Joslin, French Joslin…
All I’m trying to blab on about is pros can use whatever,trucks have unique geometries that help for certain things more than others.

Something else to add is that the Venture riders are pretty niche with their skating (PRod excluded) and Indy riders are a bit more all terrain. That's evident with the Primitive team. Tre, Carlos, Kyonosuke, Tiago, and Spencer all get tech but they also jump/barge spots on Indys, too. Whereas almost app Venture guys are strictly tech. Again, PRod excluded because he's GOAT.

Indys making Forged Hollows and Titaniums considerably drop the "heavy" weight feeling that Indys were known for. Some Forged Hollows I had before were almost on par with a heavier Thunder. And that says something since those lighter Indys are incredibly manageable to get tech/manual with.

I love my Indys and for the skating I do/am known to do, some people are shocked I run some Indys when they think I'd better on Venture or Thunder, since I do like to get tech on ledges/manuals/quick feet type shit. I've been on Indy so long, it's home.
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2022, 09:55:22 PM »
My point isn't that one truck is better than another for X type of skating and obviously pros are great, but the key point is that any brand can work great if you give it some patience. Spencer was on Venture and dropped them to buy Indy's, rides the cast version. So does Gustav and the Sour dudes. Before Mids Carlos rode Cast Hollows, but then you have the more gnar pool dudes and GT on the same truck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2022, 09:56:51 PM »
I wasn't feeling my new Sci Fi the first few sessions then a few things clicked today. Left my 8.38 Baker at the park and probably going to sell the spare set of trucks. I literally am back on the same setup as a few months ago but at least I learned how to make a lot of other decks work 90% well enough for me.

Only madness left are shoes and bushings but I'm not sure I'll fuck with either

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2022, 10:30:24 PM »
I wasn't feeling my new Sci Fi the first few sessions then a few things clicked today. Left my 8.38 Baker at the park and probably going to sell the spare set of trucks. I literally am back on the same setup as a few months ago but at least I learned how to make a lot of other decks work 90% well enough for me.

Aye!! Recovery!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2022, 10:45:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Aye!! Recovery!

Never proclaim recovery pre-maturely, relapses are real and the Gear Gods are relentless
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2022, 06:17:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Aye!! Recovery!
[close]

Never proclaim recovery pre-maturely, relapses are real and the Gear Gods are relentless

BIG FAX

LebowskisRug

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2022, 06:54:17 AM »
I've relapse before for sure. In this case it was more that I've found I can skate these shapes all just fine with a few adjustments here and there and I wanted to go with what was feeling best overall. I found the 8.38 Baker to be a super fun setup, but my Sci Fi edged it out because it feels a bit better with tired legs and slightly more nimble on transition and manuals, which are 2 things I'm trying to progress.

I would gladly go back to the other shape in the future at some point. I think the key is just being OK with the decision and also not stockpiling decks. I've got another Carpet that is the same shape as this Sci Fi. Oh and for some reason local shops havent had any Baker 8.38 and I'm not interested in getting old stock from Zumiez.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2022, 08:12:09 AM »
Found a shrink-wrapped  8.25 blank in my basement, so I figure I should skate that and see how that feels. I'd love to be able to just walk into a shop, see a board I like, and get it...as opposed to being like, "I need to stock up on X or else".

For whatever reason it is also making me want to try other trucks, but one thing at a time. I've been pretty consistently Ace 44 classic for whatever they fit on and then Indy 159 for bigger stuff, but I've also been on slappymania for most of that time. I recognize rationally that getting some Ventures is not going to make my renewed interest in skating flatground more fruitful, but the pull is there.

IpathCats

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2022, 08:23:49 AM »
Found a shrink-wrapped  8.25 blank in my basement, so I figure I should skate that and see how that feels. I'd love to be able to just walk into a shop, see a board I like, and get it...as opposed to being like, "I need to stock up on X or else".

For whatever reason it is also making me want to try other trucks, but one thing at a time. I've been pretty consistently Ace 44 classic for whatever they fit on and then Indy 159 for bigger stuff, but I've also been on slappymania for most of that time. I recognize rationally that getting some Ventures is not going to make my renewed interest in skating flatground more fruitful, but the pull is there.

You are going to hate ventures if you're an indy/ace guy, unless you feel like you turn way too much on those trucks and really need stability. if you're itching for something different, or specifically a snappier popfeel try thunders or those new royals. they are def more stable/less surfy than indy/ace, but not nearly as rigid as a venture.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2022, 09:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You are going to hate ventures if you're an indy/ace guy, unless you feel like you turn way too much on those trucks and really need stability. if you're itching for something different, or specifically a snappier popfeel try thunders or those new royals. they are def more stable/less surfy than indy/ace, but not nearly as rigid as a venture.

Thanks. I should mention that I skated Ventures pretty much exclusively for 14-ish years so Irealize what I might be getting myself into. I also know a huge part of it is nostalgia and that I should give the Royals a chance (I do like to be able to surf out of my shitty landings), but in my head the lower hight and longer WB made flipping my board easier. I'm pretty tall and I find too short a board/WB and flick happens too early.

IpathCats

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks. I should mention that I skated Ventures pretty much exclusively for 14-ish years so Irealize what I might be getting myself into. I also know a huge part of it is nostalgia and that I should give the Royals a chance (I do like to be able to surf out of my shitty landings), but in my head the lower hight and longer WB made flipping my board easier. I'm pretty tall and I find too short a board/WB and flick happens too early.

Sounds like the thunders or royals would be right up your alley. If you want a lower truck with a longer wb, that still has some surf.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2022, 09:47:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is why Royals work for me (even stock). I get just enough of everything to be sated. Thunder height/pop, less wheelbite than Thunders, stable like vent/thunder, more carvey turn than thunder/vent but not as deep/fast as ACE or as deep as Indy, but faster than indy and more stable than both. I can't pick any negative to them, they just work and feel great.

Wheelbase and shape is where I struggle. Longer WB feels better riding fast, cruising or slappies but my flip tricks suffer. Oddly I downsized from an 8.375 twin to a regular 8.125 and everything feels...fine...both 14.25"WB

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2022, 10:11:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been working on trying to find that "middle ground" setup that works everywhere.   I don't skate my 8.0" much these days.   I do regularly skate my 8.75" at one park that is all transition, but have skated 8.3ish boards there ok. 

Yesterday i showed up to the more "street" park with 3 setups.
Creature 8.38" - 14.5 wb with Ace AF1 55s and 54mm F4 101s
Real Ishod TT 8.3" - 14.4 wb with Indy 144 hollows and 53mm STF 103
Powell 8.25 flight (that measures 8.38) - 14.25 wb with Thunder 149 Ti and 54mm F4 99s.

The wheelbase / truck combos make the axle to axle very similar, and the Creature has the steepest tail, then the Real, and the Powell is the mellowest. 

Started out on the Creature/Ace setup.  I like it in transition, but my timing is fucked up with ollies.  I just don't get the same pop.   Struggled on this setup.

Pulled out the Powell/Thunder.   Felt more at home with anything that required ollies.  Not bad in transition.

Then pulled out the Real/Indy.  Started landing a bigger percent of my flip tricks.   This may be the way.

I may be an Indy guy even though it seems like the default truck for all old farts like me. Convenient as I have 144s, 149s and 159s already.   I will try the Indy Ti 149s on both the Creature / Powell setups.    I may have some Thunder Ti and AF1s to trade soon.
[close]

Indy has a very do it all geometry in my opinion.

My next session, just taking one. Multiple setups had been the routine for awhile. I’m only trying the same tricks over and over.
[close]

I spent my entire skate lifetime fighting the fact that I actually really like Indys.  Now I’ve reached the acceptance phase and finally started only skating Indys.  I really think Indy 159s are the overall perfect truck.  You can run them basically on 8.38’s all the way up to 9 inch popsicles and on pretty much any shaped board.
[close]

I took 20 years off skating, and when I came back I noticed that almost all the guys my age were skating Indy.  I thought they were un-enlightened and that they were just skating Indy because thats what they had been skating forever.

So I became "enlightened".  I bought Thunder, Ace, MiniLogo, Krux, Royal...  and yes, Indy.    The Krux and Royal sucked.  But the Thunder, Ace and MiniLogo all did SOMETHING better than Indy.  Indy was just the shitty "default" truck. 

It turns out, default is good.

We're the Royals you tried the redesigned ones? I really love mine. Almost better than my Indy's.

IpathCats

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2022, 10:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This is why Royals work for me (even stock). I get just enough of everything to be sated. Thunder height/pop, less wheelbite than Thunders, stable like vent/thunder, more carvey turn than thunder/vent but not as deep/fast as ACE or as deep as Indy, but faster than indy and more stable than both. I can't pick any negative to them, they just work and feel great.

Wheelbase and shape is where I struggle. Longer WB feels better riding fast, cruising or slappies but my flip tricks suffer. Oddly I downsized from an 8.375 twin to a regular 8.125 and everything feels...fine...both 14.25"WB

the new royals have a lighter pop feel/shorter WB than thunders right? That's my main draw to thunders the snappy pop and longer wb, otherwise i think i would have given the Royals a shot. I think the royals look a bit better than the team hollows i have. Hanger is more sleek.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2022, 07:21:12 AM »
Have anyone done the measurments of how much tightning down the kingpin nut, mess with the geometry? I've been running Thunders with the blue 95du bushings so that I barely need to tighten them, and therefore maintain the "stock" geo.

IpathCats

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2022, 07:45:18 AM »

14.25"WB

wait wait wait, just noticed this. i thought the consensus in the royal thread was that they had a lighter pop feel, and were closer to indy than thunder? but still snappier than indy. If these pop like thunders, im almost definitely going to try them. what was the wb difference royals vs thunders?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2022, 09:01:32 AM »
Expand Quote

14.25"WB
[close]

wait wait wait, just noticed this. i thought the consensus in the royal thread was that they had a lighter pop feel, and were closer to indy than thunder? but still snappier than indy. If these pop like thunders, im almost definitely going to try them. what was the wb difference royals vs thunders?

Royal IKP / Standard / Ultralights - +3.15"
Thunder Cast - +3.15"
Thunder Forged - +3.25"

They pop light like an Indy and are around the same weight as a Thunder standard, 52mm so they wheelbite less than Thunder.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2022, 09:57:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

14.25"WB
[close]

[close]

Thunder Cast - +3.15"
Thunder Forged - +3.25"

They pop light like an Indy and are around the same weight as a Thunder standard, 52mm so they wheelbite less than Thunder.

same wb and weight roughly as cast thunders, but they pop lighter? how does that work? I'm loving the popfeel on these thunders recently, and have been just dealing with the baseplate issue, im getting better with it, but if i cant have the best of both worlds, why not?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2022, 10:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

14.25"WB
[close]

[close]

Thunder Cast - +3.15"
Thunder Forged - +3.25"

[close]

same wb and weight roughly as cast thunders, but they pop lighter? how does that work? I'm loving the popfeel on these thunders recently, and have been just dealing with the baseplate issue, im getting better with it, but if i cant have the best of both worlds, why not?

I meant to say the turn like Indy's, pop feel is around the same as Thunder
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2022, 10:21:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

14.25"WB
[close]

[close]

Thunder Cast - +3.15"
Thunder Forged - +3.25"

[close]

[close]

I meant to say the turn like Indy's, pop feel is around the same as Thunder

gotcha, thanks. I was really enjoying these thunders, yet here i am again, considering other trucks.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2022, 01:26:26 PM »
Gunna have to mute this thread to not peak my madness further with this Royal talk.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2022, 03:04:18 PM »
Just a heads up, both my ikp 144 and 149 standard new royals are +3.05.
Pop feel, in my opinion, is nowhere near thunder, feels even lighter than my thunder titaniums on a team baseplate.
The new royals are basically just lighter indy mids

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2022, 03:12:22 PM »
Congrats to everyone who turned this thread around and sent the insecure out there to buy yet another new pair of trucks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2022, 03:19:02 PM »
Congrats to everyone who turned this thread around and sent the insecure out there to buy yet another new pair of trucks.

Gear Madness Enablers Thread