Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 85304 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2022, 03:39:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Congrats to everyone who turned this thread around and sent the insecure out there to buy yet another new pair of trucks.
[close]

Gear Madness Enablers Thread

When Beavis and Butthead go to AA

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2022, 04:06:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Congrats to everyone who turned this thread around and sent the insecure out there to buy yet another new pair of trucks.
[close]

[close]

Lmao
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 443
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

100 points

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2022, 07:23:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This is why Royals work for me (even stock). I get just enough of everything to be sated. Thunder height/pop, less wheelbite than Thunders, stable like vent/thunder, more carvey turn than thunder/vent but not as deep/fast as ACE or as deep as Indy, but faster than indy and more stable than both. I can't pick any negative to them, they just work and feel great.
14.25"WB
[close]

wait wait wait, just noticed this. i thought the consensus in the royal thread was that they had a lighter pop feel, and were closer to indy than thunder? but still snappier than indy. If these pop like thunders, im almost definitely going to try them. what was the wb difference royals vs thunders?
[close]

Royal IKP / Standard / Ultralights - +3.15"
Thunder Cast - +3.15"
Thunder Forged - +3.25"

They pop light like an Indy and are around the same weight as a Thunder standard, 52mm so they wheelbite less than Thunder.

On my 8.75 royal ultra lights I measured +3.125"

And yes I fucking love them, go buy some ya lunatics

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1924
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2022, 08:49:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Congratulations, we have failed the task successfully!

Went back from Ace to Royal, french kiss. Ace AF1 Lows were way too twitchy for my liking.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2022, 04:38:55 AM »
Let's be real, the thread pretty much started out with people telling me to ignore my stack to buy a popsicle.

Anyways, this is a no-judgement, no-shame zone where people can talk about this stuff.

IpathCats

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2022, 06:26:40 AM »
I'm still getting mixed reports on royal pop feel. Not jumping ship yet. There's still hope.....

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2022, 06:36:38 AM »
This thread is an industry psy-op
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2022, 08:05:19 AM »
Funny how you guys just mentioning royal make me wanna buy a venture t……

This new Royal sounds like the best thing since Theeve….

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 53
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2022, 09:37:12 AM »
After few years of varying level gear madness, gave most of my stuff away and started to converge to pretty basic and traditional setup; BBS 8.1 + 144 or 8.3 + 149, Indy titanium for my old legs, Spitfire Classic or Classic Full, 52mm.

There is lots of truth in realizing that tinkering with gear takes lot of time and money but in many cases contributes to session fun level only marginally. It can still be super fun, for some time...

My last adjustment I still do is to use Film bushings instead of stock Indy. Conical bottom bushing just gives nicer turn. Maybe... Indy conicals... It's happening again!

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2022, 08:54:59 PM »
I'm not buying any of this talk that the new Royals are quality.  CK1 is no longer skating Royals since he got out and that's all I need to know to continue steering clear of them.

Side note: how anyone did anything substantial on obstacles, like CK1 did on Royals baffles the fuck out of me. Those trucks were hot garbage.
Super Champion Fun Zone

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2022, 09:22:02 PM »
Fuck, I am now getting some royals
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2022, 09:49:40 PM »
There is lots of truth in realizing that tinkering with gear takes lot of time and money but in many cases contributes to session fun level only marginally. It can still be super fun, for some time...

Someone sticky this as the first post.

"It's not your gear, it's you"
(mostly)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2022, 12:57:33 AM »
After few years of varying level gear madness, gave most of my stuff away and started to converge to pretty basic and traditional setup; BBS 8.1 + 144 or 8.3 + 149, Indy titanium for my old legs, Spitfire Classic or Classic Full, 52mm.

My last adjustment I still do is to use Film bushings instead of stock Indy. Conical bottom bushing just gives nicer turn. Maybe... Indy conicals... It's happening again!

Yep, I haven't bought any gear in months and I feel great about it. The hobby wasn't skating anymore, it was looking at/buying gear. Actually cutting back to just skating a couple setups and concentrating on what my body is doing rather than my gear both improved my skating and made it way more fun to me.

Im not shitting on anyone who has the madness, but be honest (with yourself) about what you're doing. It's fine if you just like shopping, but it's almost certainly not helping your progression. Probably hurting it more than anything. If you want to buy my truck collection hit me up though

disclosed

• Rep: 172
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2022, 03:17:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yep, I haven't bought any gear in months and I feel great about it. The hobby wasn't skating anymore, it was looking at/buying gear. Actually cutting back to just skating a couple setups and concentrating on what my body is doing rather than my gear both improved my skating and made it way more fun to me.

Im not shitting on anyone who has the madness, but be honest (with yourself) about what you're doing. It's fine if you just like shopping, but it's almost certainly not helping your progression. Probably hurting it more than anything. If you want to buy my truck collection hit me up though

i went back to one setup a couple months ago. i had already narowed my trucks down to the same ones on all setups and it was really just diffrent decks shapes that kept me going.
i feel i ended up shooting myself in the foot cause i spend half my sessions reajusting to difrent setups instead of just progressing. aswell as feeling i needed to decide what deck i needed for what spot and stressing myself out overthinking before even starting.
i really feel a lot better again being back to one setup and just going out without thinking bout anything.

it all started when i got into shaped boards.. still curious bout a lot of shapes so im afraid i'll still be hoarding decks at times cause youll never know when or if a shape will come again. but still i've narowed the shapes ill buy down to only the most versitile ones since i only got one setup i'll need to use for all kinds of skating now.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 53
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »

Agreed, no harm in experimenting, but at some point might make sense to reflect a bit. I had pretty severe ankle sprain last fall, took months to get it right and it seems I still lack the last mile of confidence, fearing sudden spikes of ankle pain. Formerly would've been hoarding gear and reading Shoes & Gear daily. This time I was really scared if I could ever get back on board properly, especially after one of my best "old dude" summer seasons in 2021. Decided it's time to simplify and try to get what's still obtainable session wise. It's not that serious and it's definitely not about the gear any more... But it has still been so fun to skate!

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
  • the moon rules
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
Got hoarder genetics. Not going into all the therapy but also obsessive about having "enough" or having a full set so my madness often results in me having a ton of the same thing or like say I want a pair of dickies will I get brown or black? Ahhh fuck it I'll get ten pairs so I have every colour.
Key to happiness(for me at least) can be to just simplify as much as possible. I know I like coke the best so why fill my fridge with every soda. Giving stuff away also helps (as others have mentioned) I know I'll pretty much never buy Nike's again because years ago I have some guy a massive jersey bag full of dunks, prods, Omar's etc and now can't bring myself to spend real money on stuff like that again.

I think this is where I fall on the “gear madness” spectrum. I’m not really trying to tinker around with different sized boards, or switching truck brands, or wheel durometers. The pandemic shortage just made me into a skate hoarder. I liked skating 8.12 eagles, so I had to get every single one I could find because there weren’t as many available. That mentality has continued since things returned to normal for skate production. I now like to have enough backups in case what I like is harder to find or isn’t being made anymore. My setup doesn’t change that drastically

When I buy shaped boards it’s not to find some new edge that’s missing in my skating. It’s because I think they look cool and can probably be fun to skate. There’s a lot of cool looking shaped boards from a lot of cool companies. I had to stop myself from ordering anymore because there’s no way I could ever realistically skate every single one I want to. I overestimated how much and how hard I would skate a backup/“fun” board. I’m trying to limit what I get until I’ve skated through most of my collection. It might take a couple years
fuck you bama

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2022, 01:59:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Got hoarder genetics. Not going into all the therapy but also obsessive about having "enough" or having a full set so my madness often results in me having a ton of the same thing or like say I want a pair of dickies will I get brown or black? Ahhh fuck it I'll get ten pairs so I have every colour.
Key to happiness(for me at least) can be to just simplify as much as possible. I know I like coke the best so why fill my fridge with every soda. Giving stuff away also helps (as others have mentioned) I know I'll pretty much never buy Nike's again because years ago I have some guy a massive jersey bag full of dunks, prods, Omar's etc and now can't bring myself to spend real money on stuff like that again.
[close]

I think this is where I fall on the “gear madness” spectrum. I’m not really trying to tinker around with different sized boards, or switching truck brands, or wheel durometers. The pandemic shortage just made me into a skate hoarder. I liked skating 8.12 eagles, so I had to get every single one I could find because there weren’t as many available. That mentality has continued since things returned to normal for skate production. I now like to have enough backups in case what I like is harder to find or isn’t being made anymore. My setup doesn’t change that drastically

When I buy shaped boards it’s not to find some new edge that’s missing in my skating. It’s because I think they look cool and can probably be fun to skate. There’s a lot of cool looking shaped boards from a lot of cool companies. I had to stop myself from ordering anymore because there’s no way I could ever realistically skate every single one I want to. I overestimated how much and how hard I would skate a backup/“fun” board. I’m trying to limit what I get until I’ve skated through most of my collection. It might take a couple years
I’m in this category. I found what works well and stuck with it. I ended up breaking a board I loved so after i saw they weren’t offered in the next drop I ended up searching to find all I could. Ended up with 14 or so of the same deck and I’m almost through that stack now. Kind of wish I hadn’t hoarded them all since I got a few others after that that I want to ride but can’t until the stockpile is finished. The plus side is when I set up a new deck there’s no adjustment period.

IpathCats

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2022, 05:40:07 PM »

I’m in this category. I found what works well and stuck with it. I ended up breaking a board I loved so after i saw they weren’t offered in the next drop I ended up searching to find all I could. Ended up with 14 or so of the same deck and I’m almost through that stack now. Kind of wish I hadn’t hoarded them all since I got a few others after that that I want to ride but can’t until the stockpile is finished. The plus side is when I set up a new deck there’s no adjustment period.

Damn! I thought I was bad with 5 deluxe twin tail slicks on ice, with one setup already.

Maybe the goal of this thread should be to find the one with the worst madness, that way everyone else can point to that person to feel better about themselves.

Then the thread turns into a madness rehab thread for the guy with the worst madness, once they're cured start the process over with the person who has the second worst madness.

Rinse, wash, repeat, until we're all clean and sober from the madness and live happily ever after.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2022, 05:43:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The above hits way too hard.

I keep my packs of wheels nearby to remind myself that I have more than I will ever need.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2022, 07:37:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The above hits way too hard.

I keep my packs of wheels nearby to remind myself that I have more than I will ever need.

Fuckin hell those bfrd hammers you highlighted cut me to the core.

mamba

• Rep: 138
  • Sucka free
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2022, 07:57:48 PM »
My madness only recently came up. i was the type of person who would only skate the same thing and i progressed a bunch. my madness is really only about trucks right now. thankfully all within the same brand, but still. I will say however, having the same width trucks of your board does feel noticeably more stable, especially on an egg vs magic carpet

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2022, 08:00:52 PM »
My madness only recently came up. i was the type of person who would only skate the same thing and i progressed a bunch. my madness is really only about trucks right now. thankfully all within the same brand, but still. I will say however, having the same width trucks of your board does feel noticeably more stable, especially on an egg vs magic carpet

That's always how it starts....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2022, 08:23:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Shhhh, he doesn't know yet.

mamba

• Rep: 138
  • Sucka free
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2022, 08:55:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I already had my main madness phase. I went through Krux, Royal, Thunder, Venture... now I've been on Ace for 2 years. Didn't buy into the Lurpiv hype. I think im starting to do better...  :-X

edit: damn after posting that I can't believe I went through that many brands of trucks  :o I had the madness bad!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2022, 09:11:51 PM »
In 2021 I rode Indy (forged and Mids), Venture, Thunder, brief stint on defective AF1's... definitely an embarrassing year for me.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2022, 09:41:25 PM »
In 2021 I rode Indy (forged and Mids), Venture, Thunder, brief stint on defective AF1's... definitely an embarrassing year for me.

Bro…I’ve got decks that have the most heinous wheelbite marks: the bites of multiple different brands…and sizes, of trucks. Hideous. I skate alone and my face still shows the shame

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2022, 10:42:49 PM »
Gifted Hater said in the truck vid with Ben Degros, that Indy's make you not think about ur trucks. And I do agree, except that they could be lighter, so I bought a pair of hollows! Now I should be free, hopefully :D
If it wasent for slap, I wouldent care about the Thunder baseplate thingy, but now that im aware of it, its like I stick on noseslides just for pure insanity... Either way... Its just so nice to just chill on nose/tails with Indy's, not to mention the buttery grind.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2022, 11:10:54 PM »
Gifted Hater said in the truck vid with Ben Degros, that Indy's make you not think about ur trucks. And I do agree, except that they could be lighter, so I bought a pair of hollows! Now I should be free, hopefully :D
If it wasent for slap, I wouldent care about the Thunder baseplate thingy, but now that im aware of it, its like I stick on noseslides just for pure insanity... Either way... Its just so nice to just chill on nose/tails with Indy's, not to mention the buttery grind.

The internet age definitely did not help our madness, too much info is a bad thing. I wish I could be like my homie who rips has done his best skating on Tensor Alloys and stuck to 8.0 decks for over 3 years.

Indy would be the go to recommendation if I worked in a shop - strongest customer recognition among the truck brands so I wouldn't have to spend as long convincing them. But for me Royal has become the "don't worry about it" truck, great for all levels of skateboarder.

Light and nimble - great for beginners and tech guys
Turny - you aren't just living by tick tacks
52mm - mid height so you got choices for wheel sizes
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2022, 04:23:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bro…I’ve got decks that have the most heinous wheelbite marks: the bites of multiple different brands…and sizes, of trucks. Hideous. I skate alone and my face still shows the shame

I can't wait to notice this on someone's deck in person. Def gonna call them out, then sympathize.