Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82687 times)

Bongwater Mojito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 50
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2022, 03:51:39 AM »
Here's a thought: progress (and fun!) comes mostly by getting on the board and skating. Messing with equipment should be a supporting function, just to remove friction so that one can skate more. It's subjective where to draw the line, but typically squeaky trucks, soggy boards and slow bearings are worth the attention. As soon as you notice after a session that you didn't think about your gear once, freeze everything and keep that as is, as long as possible. If you don't, the madness will creep in.

Worst situation is when you replace something due to wearing out, and even it should be exactly same, it's not. This has happened and it's very irritating...

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2022, 05:32:26 AM »
Here's a thought: progress (and fun!) comes mostly by getting on the board and skating. Messing with equipment should be a supporting function, just to remove friction so that one can skate more. It's subjective where to draw the line, but typically squeaky trucks, soggy boards and slow bearings are worth the attention. As soon as you notice after a session that you didn't think about your gear once, freeze everything and keep that as is, as long as possible. If you don't, the madness will creep in.

Worst situation is when you replace something due to wearing out, and even it should be exactly same, it's not. This has happened and it's very irritating...
It will feel normal again in no time. Hold strong soldier.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #122 on: June 23, 2022, 06:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In 2021 I rode Indy (forged and Mids), Venture, Thunder, brief stint on defective AF1's... definitely an embarrassing year for me.
[close]

Bro…I’ve got decks that have the most heinous wheelbite marks: the bites of multiple different brands…and sizes, of trucks. Hideous. I skate alone and my face still shows the shame
[close]

I can't wait to notice this on someone's deck in person. Def gonna call them out, then sympathize.

Another one is the baseplate marks not lining up especially if they tried Thunders on a deck. I got thin vinyl on Amazon to put under the baseplate to prevent this.

Thankfully I've never cared about wheels, griptape, or fine-tuning bushings. Most of my madness comes from trying to optimize for the perfect setup, realizing it might not exist, then thinking back to the good old days of an old setup and how much better it was overall. But like someone said no 2 decks are usually the same and it's best to try to spend a bit of time thinking about how to slightly adapt and make something work.

IpathCats

« Reply #123 on: June 23, 2022, 07:03:38 AM »
Tried some 54mm 101 f4 classics after being on 56mm 99s for a while. I swapped to thunders and wanted a smaller harder wheel to help ease the baseplate issue. I'm really enjoying them, but i know they will be too hard for me at certain spots, and definitely during the winter. Am i about to have winter tires for my skateboard? i think so. Is this madness, or is this mastery? Who am i? What am i?

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2022, 07:07:42 AM »
I've pretty much settled on a preferred deck and trucks size (even though I still have a couple shaped boards to play with), but lately I've been obsessing over wheels.  The right durometer to handle crusty ditches without feeling too slow on smooth concrete, the right size to avoid wheelbite as a flabby 40+ without running risers without being too small to roll over detritus, the right shape, etc. 

I don't like the madness.

IpathCats

« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2022, 07:11:34 AM »
I've pretty much settled on a preferred deck and trucks size (even though I still have a couple shaped boards to play with), but lately I've been obsessing over wheels.  The right durometer to handle crusty ditches without feeling too slow on smooth concrete, the right size to avoid wheelbite as a flabby 40+ without running risers without being too small to roll over detritus, the right shape, etc. 

What trucks are you on? how much do you weigh (dont have to answer)? how loose do you like your trucks? Are you more transition or street oriented? Or do you just cruise mainly?

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2022, 07:17:39 AM »
I feel like I have a constant gear crisis over the length/fit of my shoe. They always feel like they're too long. If I buy TTS they often feel snug on the sides of my feet and I'll still have at least a thumb's width of room between my big toe and the end of the shoe. If I go half a size up they're even longer but they're at least a little more comfortable. When they're more snug my flick feels better, but at what cost?

For what it's worth I'm typically a Vans guy but I've found this to be true among a handful of brands. Got some Lakais, Nikes, Cons, Emericas and even non skate NBs that feel like this.

Landmine

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2022, 07:37:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What trucks are you on? how much do you weigh (dont have to answer)? how loose do you like your trucks? Are you more transition or street oriented? Or do you just cruise mainly?

AF1 55s, one thread showing, I weigh 210, mostly skate transition I guess?  Ditches and bank spots, curbs here and there, skateparks when it's not triple digits.  I suck though.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2022, 08:14:18 AM »
Tried some 54mm 101 f4 classics after being on 56mm 99s for a while. I swapped to thunders and wanted a smaller harder wheel to help ease the baseplate issue. I'm really enjoying them, but i know they will be too hard for me at certain spots, and definitely during the winter. Am i about to have winter tires for my skateboard? i think so. Is this madness, or is this mastery? Who am i? What am i?

Rotating tires is good shit. If you can get your set up dialed and just rotate wheels for different terrain/ weather, why not? That's the level-of madness I aspire to limit myself to.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2022, 08:53:19 AM »
I feel like I have a constant gear crisis over the length/fit of my shoe. They always feel like they're too long. If I buy TTS they often feel snug on the sides of my feet and I'll still have at least a thumb's width of room between my big toe and the end of the shoe. If I go half a size up they're even longer but they're at least a little more comfortable. When they're more snug my flick feels better, but at what cost?

For what it's worth I'm typically a Vans guy but I've found this to be true among a handful of brands. Got some Lakais, Nikes, Cons, Emericas and even non skate NBs that feel like this.

Same, I have low volume feet that have index toe longer than big toe. If my feet are cold I fit a 9.5 but if they swell it's too tight and Vice versa with a 10. Vans and NB seem the best, Nikes less so.

IpathCats

« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2022, 10:06:08 AM »

I feel you, i was here a while ago. Go with the bigger shoe so you dont damage your foot, and try to supplement with thicker socks if possible. Lace them tight to get them more snug. I'm a small 10, and can fit some 9 1/2s, but i was crushing my feet with 9 1/2s for a while.

AF1 55s, one thread showing, I weigh 210, mostly skate transition I guess?  Ditches and bank spots, curbs here and there, skateparks when it's not triple digits.  I suck though.

I'd get the hard Ace bushings if i was you, and some 56mm f4s with a wider contact patch (conical or radials). either 99 or 97a. if youre still wheelbiting, get the classic shape.

Rotating tires is good shit. If you can get your set up dialed and just rotate wheels for different terrain/ weather, why not? That's the level-of madness I aspire to limit myself to.

dont wanna jinx it, but i feel like im nearing this point.

Landmine

« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2022, 10:41:51 AM »
I'd get the hard Ace bushings if i was you, and some 56mm f4s with a wider contact patch (conical or radials). either 99 or 97a. if youre still wheelbiting, get the classic shape.

I've considered the hard bushings, but I like the stock ones.  Probably gonna avoid 56mm wheels though, that a little bigger than I'd like.  52-54mm feels like the sweet spot. 

Good call on Classics though, I don't know why I never considered that.

IpathCats

« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2022, 10:55:33 AM »

I've considered the hard bushings, but I like the stock ones.  Probably gonna avoid 56mm wheels though, that a little bigger than I'd like.  52-54mm feels like the sweet spot. 

Good call on Classics though, I don't know why I never considered that.

You can run classics a bit bigger without wheelbiting as much as other wheels since they curve so much on the edge. the classics jump up in width at 56mm, i wouldnt recommend 54mm classics for crusty stuff. Sounds like the stuff you like to skate lends itself more to larger wheels too. i understand not wanting to ride risers, but if youre just ripping ditches and curbs, i would deff suggest a 56mm at least and risers as needed.

I got away with 56mm classics with no risers on forged indys which are 53.5mm tall, aces are 52mm but dont wheelbite as quickly due to the turn. I was running hard bushings though, and im lighter than you.

lots of variables to consider, but given your preferences i would think about considering larger wheels and maybe a small riser. I feel like larger wheels are faster too, so that could address your speed issue as well. I feel like a 56-58mm 99a or 97a would really suit you.

narrow wheel/contact patch = less wheelbite
wider wheel/contact patch = plow through crust easier

find your balance.

Landmine

« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »
Ugh u right u right

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel you, i was here a while ago. Go with the bigger shoe so you dont damage your foot, and try to supplement with thicker socks if possible. Lace them tight to get them more snug. I'm a small 10, and can fit some 9 1/2s, but i was crushing my feet with 9 1/2s for a while.

You're probably right. I might try skating one of my chillers that are a half size big to see how it goes. The difference in length is pretty minimal but the small amount of clearance on the sides are nice.

IpathCats

« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2022, 11:32:28 AM »
Ugh u right u right

lol, TRUST ME i've thought about this and spent $ on this

IpathCats

« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2022, 11:40:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You're probably right. I might try skating one of my chillers that are a half size big to see how it goes. The difference in length is pretty minimal but the small amount of clearance on the sides are nice.

also sounds like you might need to prioritize finding wider shoes, the trudgers i just tried allowed my toes to spread nicely. So many skate shoes are narrow, i assume so that they fit snug. But damn, my feet are just not shaped that way. Blazers, Last resorts, most vluc cons and NBs. I also feel like NB, es, and Lakai run a hair shorter than other brands, so maybe the halfsize up wouldnt be as bad length wise in those brands. idk

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

also sounds like you might need to prioritize finding wider shoes, the trudgers i just tried allowed my toes to spread nicely. So many skate shoes are narrow, i assume so that they fit snug. But damn, my feet are just not shaped that way. Blazers, Last resorts, most vluc cons and NBs. I also feel like NB, es, and Lakai run a hair shorter than other brands, so maybe the halfsize up wouldnt be as bad length wise in those brands. idk

So one of my chillers actually are Blazers that are half a size up and I find them reasonably comfortable. They're a tad longer than my TTS Vans, but not by much. Those might be my control group to see if this extra length stuff is all in my head.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »
Anyone else have the itch to buy shit when during lulls where they don't get to skate? Ive been off for a week (which is not bad to alot of people I understand) and I am scouring for 54mm radials even though I have a drawer full of perfectly fine wheels.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2022, 12:18:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

So one of my chillers actually are Blazers that are half a size up and I find them reasonably comfortable. They're a tad longer than my TTS Vans, but not by much. Those might be my control group to see if this extra length stuff is all in my head.

Chiming in to say that I have been so so so intense about getting the ‘correct’ fitting shoe…and what I thought was correct, was not. Said it before, but I played several sports where tight shoes were encouraged, and did the same with skate shoes. No. Fucked my feet up. It takes some getting used to, but I HIGHLY recommend going to the larger size, if one is on the fence. I have a narrow heel, and then long creepy toes with a wider forefoot, and yeah, it’s dumb. A shoe that doesn’t slip in the heel, cramps the toes. What I’ve slowly figured out: let the heel slip, use a ‘joggers loop/lace’ make sure the toes have enough room.
Be well

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2022, 05:49:50 PM »
I don't sticker my decks anymore.

I built a deck with Indy and Bones and the corresponding stickers.  Shortly thereafter I was on Thunder and Spitfire. 

Never again will my board be besmirched with a logo of something that could change by next session.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2022, 06:12:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Chiming in to say that I have been so so so intense about getting the ‘correct’ fitting shoe…and what I thought was correct, was not. Said it before, but I played several sports where tight shoes were encouraged, and did the same with skate shoes. No. Fucked my feet up. It takes some getting used to, but I HIGHLY recommend going to the larger size, if one is on the fence. I have a narrow heel, and then long creepy toes with a wider forefoot, and yeah, it’s dumb. A shoe that doesn’t slip in the heel, cramps the toes. What I’ve slowly figured out: let the heel slip, use a ‘joggers loop/lace’ make sure the toes have enough room.
Be well

This is excellent advice. I used to squeeze myself into shoes that were too small because I didn't like the toe overhang (dumb I know) and I broke several toes in a short period. I am sure it was related. Now I used slightly too big shoes and skate wider decks... way better on the feet.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2022, 06:24:00 PM »
Anyone else have the itch to buy shit when during lulls where they don't get to skate? Ive been off for a week (which is not bad to alot of people I understand) and I am scouring for 54mm radials even though I have a drawer full of perfectly fine wheels.

All
The
Damn
Time

Looking down at 3 sets of F4s and a few packs of NFG / Creative urethane wheels, and I'm itching to try some F4 Classics despite swearing off them.

I don't sticker my decks anymore.

I built a deck with Indy and Bones and the corresponding stickers.  Shortly thereafter I was on Thunder and Spitfire. 

Never again will my board be besmirched with a logo of something that could change by next session.

Getting the right sticker job is too stressful for me, but ONE DAY I'll find the perfect spot for this bag of stickers I've accumulated.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2022, 06:58:33 PM »
Sticker if a deck before setup or adding one after it's been skated is bad luck.

I was thinking about it today and why I'd wanna try other trucks. It's basically memories of a good session or a few tricks that might have felt better than usual. I've been on my current trucks for 6 months other than a sesh with thunders once before giving them away. If done everything I can do on em and learned/improved so it's weird a fading memory would cause the madness to creep.

And here I am looking at some brand new Royals, when I still haven't really pinned down my own deck preferences. I've never really enjoyed any steep decks and do like some of the mellower BBS so I'm not sure what I'd gain by switching.

IpathCats

« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2022, 07:42:23 PM »
Sticker if a deck before setup or adding one after it's been skated is bad luck.

I was thinking about it today and why I'd wanna try other trucks. It's basically memories of a good session or a few tricks that might have felt better than usual. I've been on my current trucks for 6 months other than a sesh with thunders once before giving them away. If done everything I can do on em and learned/improved so it's weird a fading memory would cause the madness to creep.

And here I am looking at some brand new Royals, when I still haven't really pinned down my own deck preferences. I've never really enjoyed any steep decks and do like some of the mellower BBS so I'm not sure what I'd gain by switching.

If you can't even make up a reason, I would probably just chill haha.

.....those royals have me curious too though lol.I hear the royals pop a little lighter and don't grind quite as nice so I'm not gonna be swapping the thunders anytime soon. Thunders/ventures made me realize how much i benefit from wide wb trucks. And the turn/grind is way better on thunders than ventures, so I'll just suck it up and deal with the thunder baseplate issues. I was an indy/ace guy for years, I'm skating much better and consistently on the thunders, wish I tried them sooner.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:34 PM »

This is a real thing.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

LebowskisRug

« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2022, 09:09:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can't even make up a reason, I would probably just chill haha.

.....those royals have me curious too though lol.I hear the royals pop a little lighter and don't grind quite as nice so I'm not gonna be swapping the thunders anytime soon. Thunders/ventures made me realize how much i benefit from wide wb trucks. And the turn/grind is way better on thunders than ventures, so I'll just suck it up and deal with the thunder baseplate issues. I was an indy/ace guy for years, I'm skating much better and consistently on the thunders, wish I tried them sooner.

I didn't skate them too long but so far I wasn't stoked on the grind it's basically Venture quality but I've read they're fine after being broken in more and having the inner exposed. Way too loose stock have like 2 threads showing and pop feel is hella weird coming from Indy.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2022, 09:14:53 PM »

[/quote]

I was an indy/ace guy for years, I'm skating much better and consistently on the thunders, wish I tried them sooner.
[/quote]

This is precisely the type of statement that triggers my madness. I’m stuck in a preference spiral between Indy and thunder. No end in sight.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2022, 09:18:17 PM »
Long ago I tired out a ton of different gear, and found my "holy grail" set-up. I then rode the same decks, trucks, wheels, etc. over and over. Much later, I got bored with my set-up...Boredom started my Madness. Boredom, novelty, curiosity, and just a good-old fashion love of new skate gear lit a Madness flame that didn't go out for awhile. I started trying different WBs, trucks, wheel shapes/sizes, etc. I believe it is good to occasionally test your assumptions, if only to prove they still hold true. And guess what? They did. My "grail" set-up was still indeed just that. The Madness went away, or rather, like Pennywise the Clown, or the Ring of Power, it just went dormant, only to later come back with new vigor.

Then I broke my leg/ankle. I could not skate for a year. Once cleared to skate again, I had to relearn everything. It took me two weeks to ollie up a 4" curb again. My leg/ankle would never be the same. My body now moved differently before. The Madness saw an opening, and knew it's time had come. Your body does not function the same way it used to, therefore, you might now be better served by a different set-up to accommodate new-found limitations. The Madness roared back to life, stronger and more pervasive than anything I had ever known.

Eventually, I found myself saying things like;

"Thunders are not going to have a better base plate now that you are trying them for the 3rd, 4th, or 5th time."

"A 14" wheel base still feels too cramped no matter if it's on an 8.06" or an 8.1" deck."

"Did you really enjoy your time at curb comparing the nuanced feels of tailslides on 6.5" vs. 6.56' tail, or would you rather have been just skating the way you would have been without Madness at the session?"

I began to hate the time, effort, emotional investment, and money that the Madness demanded of me. Rather than "just skating," I was skate-testing gear so at some point in the future I could be "just skating" once I figured out what gear I really like the best. As this was happening, I was also starring realizing something else; my ankle, despite the fact that it would never be the same, would be "good enough." I was also narrowing down the gear I liked, yet again. And lo-and-behold, what did I find myself riding? The same "holy grail" set-up. I believe it is good to occasionally test your assumptions, if only to prove they still hold true. Test them enough, and the Postulate-assumption becomes a Theorem of existential reality. And now I knew what that reality was--the same one it had always been. Since, the Madness has gone dormant, for now.

My Grail:
DLX 8.25/14.38
144 Forged (Ti or Hollow)
F4 Classics 53*
92a Indy cylindrical (blue ones)
Super Swiss 6
MOB
7/8" Allen

*101a, 99a, and 97a all have their own proper time, manner, and place. Hell, even 80HDs are useful sometimes.

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2022, 11:43:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is a real thing.

It’s the source of my madness and the only cure is more cowbell! Or just skating more.