Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82708 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2022, 12:06:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone else have the itch to buy shit when during lulls where they don't get to skate? Ive been off for a week (which is not bad to alot of people I understand) and I am scouring for 54mm radials even though I have a drawer full of perfectly fine wheels.
[close]

This is a real thing.
[close]

It’s the source of my madness and the only cure is more cowbell! Or just skating more.
It's not a cure (barely even a treatment) but this is another reason why all my stuff now is pretty different. So I have a 7.75 and an 8.75 at the same time but I'm not swapping to a 7.8, 8 etc. I'm definatly the person who opens a can of coke halfway thru a cup of coffee tho so I'm hyper vigilant with my gear madness these days.

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2022, 12:19:56 AM »
Rather than "just skating," I was skate-testing gear so at some point in the future I could be "just skating" once I figured out what gear I really like the best.

Anyone else have the itch to buy shit when during lulls where they don't get to skate? Ive been off for a week (which is not bad to alot of people I understand) and I am scouring for 54mm radials even though I have a drawer full of perfectly fine wheels.

Logging in to echo these sentiments. As I keep hearing the ticking clock of my years of physical fitness getting louder and louder, I've been realizing the different setups and gear adjustments are just outlets for my fear of wasting time. But instead of wasting it learning tricks on an imperfect setup, I waste tons of time setting boards up and relearning tricks, and feeling like a kook for how much gear I have. I have distinct memories of skating more and not wanting to change anything, actually being afraid to fuck up my muscle memory. Trying to get back there.

I also happened to setup an old "holy grail" setup that had worked for me maybe 5 years ago. Felt really comfortable and I decided to call it and keep myself to 1 main setup. The plan is not to change this setup until my board is razor tailed, and trucks are axeled. My goal is to post in the scrape report with a super fucked setup. 8)

Solidarity to all my gear madness afflicted brethren!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2022, 01:22:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This is a real thing.
[close]

It’s the source of my madness and the only cure is more cowbell! Or just skating more.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2022, 05:08:55 AM »

I didn't skate them too long but so far I wasn't stoked on the grind it's basically Venture quality but I've read they're fine after being broken in more and having the inner exposed. Way too loose stock have like 2 threads showing and pop feel is hella weird coming from Indy.

Yea, the baseplate is the only thing im really curious about. the grind and pop are keeping me away though.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2022, 05:12:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I feel like I have a constant gear crisis over the length/fit of my shoe. They always feel like they're too long. If I buy TTS they often feel snug on the sides of my feet and I'll still have at least a thumb's width of room between my big toe and the end of the shoe. If I go half a size up they're even longer but they're at least a little more comfortable. When they're more snug my flick feels better, but at what cost?

[close]

I feel you, i was here a while ago. Go with the bigger shoe so you dont damage your foot, and try to supplement with thicker socks if possible. Lace them tight to get them more snug. I'm a small 10, and can fit some 9 1/2s, but i was crushing my feet with 9 1/2s for a while.

[close]

You're probably right. I might try skating one of my chillers that are a half size big to see how it goes. The difference in length is pretty minimal but the small amount of clearance on the sides are nice.
[close]

also sounds like you might need to prioritize finding wider shoes, the trudgers i just tried allowed my toes to spread nicely. So many skate shoes are narrow, i assume so that they fit snug. But damn, my feet are just not shaped that way. Blazers, Last resorts, most vluc cons and NBs. I also feel like NB, es, and Lakai run a hair shorter than other brands, so maybe the halfsize up wouldnt be as bad length wise in those brands. idk
[close]

So one of my chillers actually are Blazers that are half a size up and I find them reasonably comfortable. They're a tad longer than my TTS Vans, but not by much. Those might be my control group to see if this extra length stuff is all in my head.
[close]

Chiming in to say that I have been so so so intense about getting the ‘correct’ fitting shoe…and what I thought was correct, was not. Said it before, but I played several sports where tight shoes were encouraged, and did the same with skate shoes. No. Fucked my feet up. It takes some getting used to, but I HIGHLY recommend going to the larger size, if one is on the fence. I have a narrow heel, and then long creepy toes with a wider forefoot, and yeah, it’s dumb. A shoe that doesn’t slip in the heel, cramps the toes. What I’ve slowly figured out: let the heel slip, use a ‘joggers loop/lace’ make sure the toes have enough room.
Be well

I third the go with a bigger shoe sentiment.  I was stuffing my feet into half size down Last Resorts that just fit all last year cause I was nervous about skating in big floppy shoes.  Just went TTS on the last pair and they’re a little too big and it has had zero negative impact on my skating and is actually way more comfortable. 

IpathCats

« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2022, 05:17:58 AM »

I third the go with a bigger shoe sentiment.  I was stuffing my feet into half size down Last Resorts that just fit all last year cause I was nervous about skating in big floppy shoes.  Just went TTS on the last pair and they’re a little too big and it has had zero negative impact on my skating and is actually way more comfortable.

just need to break them in a little more before skating and lace them tight. Doesnt look the best, but your feet will thank you.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #156 on: June 24, 2022, 10:22:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

just need to break them in a little more before skating and lace them tight. Doesnt look the best, but your feet will thank you.

I had the same issues with wearing shoes smaller. I always thought it gave me more “control “. One day I just couldn’t take the feel of claustrophobic footwear anymore. I started off frustrated with the heel slip in proper size footwear and started tying them tighter and tighter. Once I got used to the bigger (correct) size shoes I started to loosen them up little by little. Now I can buy the correct size and tie them normally and as long as they are broken in I can skate them no problem.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #157 on: June 24, 2022, 10:35:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I had the same issues with wearing shoes smaller. I always thought it gave me more “control “. One day I just couldn’t take the feel of claustrophobic footwear anymore. I started off frustrated with the heel slip in proper size footwear and started tying them tighter and tighter. Once I got used to the bigger (correct) size shoes I started to loosen them up little by little. Now I can buy the correct size and tie them normally and as long as they are broken in I can skate them no problem.
Fun fact: this is actually what mid/high shoes are designed for (preventing heel slip, foot moving inside the shoe) ankle support is a myth. I too always wore shoes too small and have gone up to correct size and would suggest a mid/high shoe for people with heel slip type issues.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #158 on: June 24, 2022, 12:46:26 PM »
Soooo update to my shoe crisis but I went to the park yesterday changing between some Sk8 Highs (tts) and some Blazer Lows (half a size big) and I just couldn't do the looser ones. They were more comfy but when I skated I felt like I was wearing clown shoes. My foot placement felt pretty off. My Sk8 Highs are still kinda narrow, but I microwaved them and made an attempt to stretch them out a bit and I ended up having a pretty good session. They're snug but they didn't hurt so maybe the moral of the story is that I should break in shoes before skating them?

I dunno, I kinda wish I could turn my brain off when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #159 on: June 24, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »
I microwaved them and made an attempt to stretch them out a bit

Wait what

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »
I think breaking in shoes before skating them is essential. I always use new shoes for walking and just wearing them generally doing all sorts of stuff other than skating. Once they’re broken in properly I might consider skating them if my current skate pair are done.

I usually have at least 5 pairs of broken in shoes available to skate cuz I rarely know what shoes i want to skate next.

I only skate one pair at a time though. Skate them until they are done and only after that move to the next pair. Changing shoes between sessions is the worst change you can do IMO.

IpathCats

« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2022, 09:37:02 PM »
Soooo update to my shoe crisis but I went to the park yesterday changing between some Sk8 Highs (tts) and some Blazer Lows (half a size big) and I just couldn't do the looser ones. They were more comfy but when I skated I felt like I was wearing clown shoes. My foot placement felt pretty off. My Sk8 Highs are still kinda narrow, but I microwaved them and made an attempt to stretch them out a bit and I ended up having a pretty good session. They're snug but they didn't hurt so maybe the moral of the story is that I should break in shoes before skating them?

I dunno, I kinda wish I could turn my brain off when it comes to this kinda stuff.

I do this 100% of the time. Skating in new shoes sucks, and it really hurts your feet, ESPECIALLY if you're in a more snug shoe size. I'll wear shoes around for like a month at least before I skate them (I'm a cupsole guy, they take a while).

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2022, 06:28:54 AM »
Simon Woodstock a career out of skating in clown shoes….

LebowskisRug

« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2022, 07:16:36 AM »
Been on Indy's mostly since last Fall in one iteration and mostly liked them all. Mid kingpin issue was weird, Forged plates are fine but felt a bit too light, and been on standards for like 4 months. Wanted to try Royals for fun, but then that also got me thinking about the stability and how my flip tricks are better on Thunder, but since I like Indy's maybe I'd like the reduced height of AF1s. Full blown again.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2022, 08:29:33 AM »
I think breaking in shoes before skating them is essential. I always use new shoes for walking and just wearing them generally doing all sorts of stuff other than skating. Once they’re broken in properly I might consider skating them if my current skate pair are done.

I usually have at least 5 pairs of broken in shoes available to skate cuz I rarely know what shoes i want to skate next.

I only skate one pair at a time though. Skate them until they are done and only after that move to the next pair. Changing shoes between sessions is the worst change you can do IMO.

Wearing shoes around the house before skating is something I've done for years; I give each pair about a week or so indoors, then take them outside for casual wear. Once they feel right I start skating them. Breaking in new shoes when skating sucks worse than breaking in anything.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2022, 09:39:26 AM »
Breaking in new shoes when skating sucks worse than breaking in anything.
Only thing worse is new shoes/new grip at the same time.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2022, 11:20:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Ugh u right u right
[close]

lol, TRUST ME i've thought about this and spent $ on this

Goddamnit you were right.  56 Classics fuck hard.  I feel like I'm skating monster truck and plowing through everything.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »
Vans AVE pro is the one and only shoe I skated out of the box with no break in period required.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2022, 12:44:24 PM »
Crockett High are the same for me.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2022, 12:47:28 PM »
Had a couple of sessions on the Indy forged hollows. They dident cure my switch/nollie timing, like I was hoping it would. Both my indy's are made in China, but my raws felt like they grinded smoother, oddly enough. They use a stronger metal in the hollows hangar? Gotta look more into it

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2022, 01:35:04 PM »
Had a couple of sessions on the Indy forged hollows. They dident cure my switch/nollie timing, like I was hoping it would. Both my indy's are made in China, but my raws felt like they grinded smoother, oddly enough. They use a stronger metal in the hollows hangar? Gotta look more into it

I think the weight of a raw truck grinds better, and Indys have the best grind…raw Indys grind the best of the best.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2022, 01:36:00 PM »

Stick with them. Once you start getting some groves they go great. Once you’ve gotten into the axle, even better. My gripe with them is less material(duh, that’s part of why they weigh less) on the pivot area so nose/tail slides you need to be going really fast or wax where your wheels hit. Not a fan of waxing where wheels hit. I skate masonite after street sessions sometimes and don’t want to wax the mini.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2022, 02:28:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don’t mind breaking in shoes but I never skate thick cupsoles or anything like that.  Trucks and bearings are another story though…

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2022, 04:18:59 PM »
Been on Indy's mostly since last Fall in one iteration and mostly liked them all. Mid kingpin issue was weird, Forged plates are fine but felt a bit too light, and been on standards for like 4 months. Wanted to try Royals for fun, but then that also got me thinking about the stability and how my flip tricks are better on Thunder, but since I like Indy's maybe I'd like the reduced height of AF1s. Full blown again.

Going through this now. Been having so much fun on Indy’s but for whatever reason AF1s keep calling me but I know I’ll enjoy the turn but hate everything else. Debating buying some Indy forged hollows since they are around a similar height of aces but they are Indy’s.  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’m really trying to not let it consume me.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2022, 06:12:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Going through this now. Been having so much fun on Indy’s but for whatever reason AF1s keep calling me but I know I’ll enjoy the turn but hate everything else. Debating buying some Indy forged hollows since they are around a similar height of aces but they are Indy’s.  🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is the wrong thing to say on the gear madness thread, but I switched from some very thoroughly used up Independent 144s to some Ace AF-1 44s and it was a good and easy move. I am not nearly as sensitive to small changes as some skaters here, but to me the AF-1s skate just like an Indy, only with a slightly deeper and better carve, which I really enjoy. My flip tricks, slappy tricks, ledge tricks all more or less feel the same (or the difference is small enough that I didn't notice), and the cornering in pools and bowls is improved. They are also a gorgeous truck - in my opinion the best looking truck on the market. For me, all things being equal, I think I'll be making the move entirely to Ace as I continue to wear out my Indys.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #175 on: June 27, 2022, 06:36:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is the wrong thing to say on the gear madness thread, but I switched from some very thoroughly used up Independent 144s to some Ace AF-1 44s and it was a good and easy move. I am not nearly as sensitive to small changes as some skaters here, but to me the AF-1s skate just like an Indy, only with a slightly deeper and better carve, which I really enjoy. My flip tricks, slappy tricks, ledge tricks all more or less feel the same (or the difference is small enough that I didn't notice), and the cornering in pools and bowls is improved. They are also a gorgeous truck - in my opinion the best looking truck on the market. For me, all things being equal, I think I'll be making the move entirely to Ace as I continue to wear out my Indys.

Damn now you got me all messed up and wanting to put AF1s back on.
I do like them (AF1s) they feel stable but with that nice deep ace turn feel. The grind is way better I love a loud grind and the ace classics were just too soft for me. I think the only thing that keeps me from keeping them on is the QC. I’m always blowing out a pivot cup or a bushings. I’m always having to tune them up before I go skate and it gets annoying. With Indy’s I just throw them on and don’t have to worry about it.

I also don’t know if it’s just  me but I feel like the kingpin is crazy hard. I feel like a few times I have hit it and it catches like crazy.

I’m the same way. I can pretty much skate whatever and I’ll get used to it in about 30 min.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait what

kind of a classic break in trick people do that I've never tried until now. Microwave them for about 30 seconds, walk around in them, maybe do it again. I dunno, it helped and now I'm really enjoying my shoes.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2022, 07:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Wait what
[close]

kind of a classic break in trick people do that I've never tried until now. Microwave them for about 30 seconds, walk around in them, maybe do it again. I dunno, it helped and now I'm really enjoying my shoes.

I don't want my wife strangling me in my sleep for microwaving shoes, I'll stick to walking around the house in them for a few days TYVM.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2022, 08:05:20 PM »
I usually sprinkle nutritional yeast on them to make them taste better…..

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2022, 09:31:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This +1
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."