Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86732 times)

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #390 on: August 24, 2022, 06:04:39 AM »
Madness Pro-Tip: Keep notes about stuff you try (e.g. 14" wheelbase is too cramped. Feels like ollie power is lost. Unstable on transition, etc.). Keep notes about how many times you've tried something (e.g. third time on a 14" wb, and hated it every time). Next time are you tempted to try/buy something new, check your notes. "Oh, trying a 14" wb for the fourth time isn't going to suddenly make me like it and/or end with a different result."
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #391 on: August 24, 2022, 06:15:44 AM »
So i went down to ventures and 7.875 and I'm landing so much more stuff. 14 inch wheelbase

I wanna start going back to the park again. Will I eat shit on this small board?
I've never tried these ventures in the bowl

Was thinking of picking up an 8 inch creature or something w bigger nose/tail because I like those for transition

no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #392 on: August 24, 2022, 06:20:42 AM »
So i went down to ventures and 7.875 and I'm landing so much more stuff. 14 inch wheelbase

I wanna start going back to the park again. Will I eat shit on this small board?

Was thinking of picking up an 8 inch creature or something w bigger nose/tail because I like those for transition

So you are going to buy a board, in advance, because you might eat shit?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #393 on: August 24, 2022, 06:30:14 AM »

Don't think .125 is enough to really make a difference. Do 8 inch boards usually have nose and tail all that much bigger than a 7.875? My guess is probably also too small a difference to really matter that much.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #394 on: August 24, 2022, 06:37:25 AM »

Maybe go to the park with this setup that makes you actually land shit?
Unless you're talking about some big transition, this makes no sense.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #395 on: August 24, 2022, 06:48:42 AM »
Trigger warning: Madness inducing
And sorry for double post

Madness Pro-Tip: Keep notes about stuff you try (e.g. 14" wheelbase is too cramped. Feels like ollie power is lost. Unstable on transition, etc.). Keep notes about how many times you've tried something (e.g. third time on a 14" wb, and hated it every time). Next time are you tempted to try/buy something new, check your notes. "Oh, trying a 14" wb for the fourth time isn't going to suddenly make me like it and/or end with a different result."

The problem I've found with this madness in skateboarding is that what you're explaining isn't really true (for me).
The reason is that you can get used to a new setup pretty fast if you allow it and skate it for 2 weeks no matter if it feels right. A perfect feeling setup you absolutely loved can feel like shit after getting used to something else. So after trying some other shit, that 14wb deck could actually feel perfect even after you hated it 3 times.
BUT don't go there. The conclusion is to just give whatever you have a chance, after a few sessions you get used to it and it's your new perfect setup and everything else will feel worse.
And if you switch again, in the process of getting used to the new setup, you'll never reach the point of getting used to anything at all, thereby fueling your madness.

Give it two damn weeks

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: August 24, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »
Ive just never ridden a 14 inch wheelbase or ventures in the big bowl.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE MADNESS THREAD!!
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #397 on: August 24, 2022, 07:30:59 AM »
Good point. Im in my head. Will try if i eat shit will report back.

My friend sold a 800 dollar surfboard after one session…… fucking mental now he wants to buy another almost the same.

MADNESS

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #398 on: August 24, 2022, 10:16:11 AM »
Heads up….I kinda think while the rest of the world is dealing with supply chain issues, this season at least, there is a bloated supply of decks….shops will be/are blowing them out.  Stock pile….or don’t…..

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #399 on: August 24, 2022, 12:31:21 PM »

This is the "try to keep pals from indulging in madness" thread

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #400 on: August 24, 2022, 12:37:50 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

The problem I've found with this madness in skateboarding is that what you're explaining isn't really true (for me).
The reason is that you can get used to a new setup pretty fast if you allow it and skate it for 2 weeks no matter if it feels right. A perfect feeling setup you absolutely loved can feel like shit after getting used to something else. So after trying some other shit, that 14wb deck could actually feel perfect even after you hated it 3 times.
BUT don't go there. The conclusion is to just give whatever you have a chance, after a few sessions you get used to it and it's your new perfect setup and everything else will feel worse.
And if you switch again, in the process of getting used to the new setup, you'll never reach the point of getting used to anything at all, thereby fueling your madness.

Give it two damn weeks

This.
Goddamn.
Buying shit to skate it for 10 minutes and then declaring that it doesn’t work? Holy fuck. Extra crispy.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #401 on: August 24, 2022, 12:46:19 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Give it two damn weeks

so true

LebowskisRug

« Reply #402 on: August 24, 2022, 12:57:02 PM »
I took it one step further and had a detailed spreadsheet of every combo, when I ran it, how long, etc. I compared every single trick.

Then I just said fuck it and put Thunders on cuz I vaguely recalled skating better on them and bam- I did!

But then it started madness over. Like, I didn't like 14.5 as much on Indy's, but it feels more agile on Thunders. So back in that boat.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #403 on: August 24, 2022, 06:51:40 PM »
Heads up….I kinda think while the rest of the world is dealing with supply chain issues, this season at least, there is a bloated supply of decks….shops will be/are blowing them out.  Stock pile….or don’t…..

For sure!

The amped up production of most woodshops post lockdown issues exceeded demand and now many shops are sitting on way too much of everything, but especially decks, given some graphics don't age well (even though the wood is still fine) and so many are on clearance at even lower prices than almost any other bargains and deals I have seen, not to mention some shops just trying to clear stock to be able to pay rent.

I have had to stop buying entirely now, cause there were just too many good deals and there is only so much I could use, before it starts to get to the point of needing to do some clearing out myself.

At least I can pick and choose what I do want to keep now and move some of the other things I am less likely to ever use or ride.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #404 on: August 24, 2022, 07:30:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is the "try to keep pals from indulging in madness" thread

No, this is the "trying to keep up with other pals madness" thread.

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Give it two damn weeks
[close]

so true

That's our recovery mantra from here on - GIVE IT TWO DAMN WEEKS
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #405 on: August 24, 2022, 08:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For sure!

The amped up production of most woodshops post lockdown issues exceeded demand and now many shops are sitting on way too much of everything, but especially decks, given some graphics don't age well (even though the wood is still fine) and so many are on clearance at even lower prices than almost any other bargains and deals I have seen, not to mention some shops just trying to clear stock to be able to pay rent.

I have had to stop buying entirely now, cause there were just too many good deals and there is only so much I could use, before it starts to get to the point of needing to do some clearing out myself.

At least I can pick and choose what I do want to keep now and move some of the other things I am less likely to ever use or ride.

Not true for my locals. Their DLX boxes have been consistently late to the point where they sometimes get their last 2 orders and current order at once. Then the shop has to have a sale cuz they have so much tied up in that inventory.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2022, 06:09:57 AM »
Not sure if this belongs here but...

Just bought some 874s and they've changed a few things on them and now I'm tweaking out that they won't be as good as the original ones. They've changed the print on the waistband which was the dead giveaway. They're using different zips and hook and eye closure and they've changed the factory which is what's concerning me the most. Basically Dickies cost a ton over here so that's why I'm tweaking.

Can anyone with some 874s check where yours were made please? I think it's usually Honduras but the updated ones I have were made in Bangladesh.

Thanks

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2022, 06:16:44 AM »

Just bought some 874s and they've changed a few things on them and now I'm tweaking out that they won't be as good as the original ones. They've changed the print on the waistband which was the dead giveaway. They're using different zips and hook and eye closure and they've changed the factory which is what's concerning me the most. Basically Dickies cost a ton over here so that's why I'm tweaking.

Can anyone with some 874s check where yours were made please? I think it's usually Honduras but the updated ones I have were made in Bangladesh.

Thanks

Just checked my closet and it seems all my standard 874s are made in Honduras and all my 874 Flexes are made in Nicaragua.

Bumba

« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2022, 06:26:30 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

Just checked my closet and it seems all my standard 874s are made in Honduras and all my 874 Flexes are made in Nicaragua.

Oh damn thanks! Wonder if they've changed some stuff up for their 100 year anniversary. I hope they're not lowering quality. These are the new waist bands. Got these from the Dickies website here in the UK.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2022, 11:13:37 AM »
It is not uncommon for different markets to be manufactured in different countries due to various trade agreements, customs fees, and shipping costs. Issues in QC generally come when that work is outsourced or done in a contracted factory, but lots of big companies have the same equipment in their facilities.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
Yeah could be that's just what you get in the UK now. Was a kind of scam these big bargain factory outlet places in Aus used to do. They'd have Nike's Adidas Levi's whatever but it was all from South Asia so it's not technically fake or anything it's just not what was actually meant to be sold in aus

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »

Thanks
The ones I have from pre Covid times were all Honduran made(from Dickies site). I just ordered 5 pair 2 weeks ago(again from Dickies site) and they are all made in Mexico. The legs are anywhere from 1/2” - 1” longer than the Honduran made and vary within all the ones I got. I washed one pair so if I hate the length they’ll become shorts and the rest are going back.
Sucks. I loved the standard 874s but looks like I might be going to Bens again.

Anyone else notice the lengthening in the Mexico made?

Bumba

« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2022, 02:31:07 PM »
It is not uncommon for different markets to be manufactured in different countries due to various trade agreements, customs fees, and shipping costs. Issues in QC generally come when that work is outsourced or done in a contracted factory, but lots of big companies have the same equipment in their facilities.

Oh damn okay that actually makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the help. Kinda put me at ease knowing that.

Bumba

« Reply #413 on: August 26, 2022, 02:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]
The ones I have from pre Covid times were all Honduran made(from Dickies site). I just ordered 5 pair 2 weeks ago(again from Dickies site) and they are all made in Mexico. The legs are anywhere from 1/2” - 1” longer than the Honduran made and vary within all the ones I got. I washed one pair so if I hate the length they’ll become shorts and the rest are going back.

Oh damn that's strange. I wonder how they'll hold up to the original ones. Hopefully they're just the same but made in a different factory like the guy above you said.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #414 on: August 26, 2022, 02:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Give it two damn weeks
[close]

This.
Goddamn.
Buying shit to skate it for 10 minutes and then declaring that it doesn’t work? Holy fuck. Extra crispy.

I think this is about for how long I skate Thunders, but at least they were free.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #415 on: August 26, 2022, 03:20:36 PM »

Whether this is just a rebranding of their current shapes into new naming schemes or brand new shapes altogether, I think we are at the cusp of a new depth of madness.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #416 on: August 26, 2022, 03:47:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thanks
[close]

[close]

Oh damn that's strange. I wonder how they'll hold up to the original ones. Hopefully they're just the same but made in a different factory like the guy above you said.

Expand Quote
[close]

Oh damn okay that actually makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the help. Kinda put me at ease knowing that.

In Australia they have always been high priced "fashion pants" more than work wear, so unless they were on a really good clearance sale, I never really bought any locally.

I always found it curious that when I found somewhere to order bulk pants lots from USA to AU from uniform wholesaler type places, going back almost twenty years, there would be so many inconsistencies even then, including with the USA made Dickies, although there certainly were no where near as many size and length differences as there have been more so in the last ten years.

The most recent versions here seem almost a cheap looking knock off compared to the old ones, these ones coming from a few different places, China mostly but others as mentioned, Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua and others I can't recall right now, but they still hold up fine and don't have any issues.

I usually size up and put a belt in them and as much as the same exact size, colour and style can be different, I find if I make them work for certain things, eg the weird lengths as said cut off, the looser leg skate in and wear with bigger shoes like Half Cabs, the not so wide leg wear more for other things and not skating, etc.

It might be a different story if you only bought a pair or so at a time, or had more specific needs, but I live in mine, 24/7 so it is not such a big deal for me, for work, skate, everything.

For those people in USA, are the cheaper Walmart pants significantly different to the ones from other places like uniform shops and disposal stores?  Some people had said definitely, but others said there is no difference.  That is not even considering fashion shops, but I am really only talking about the 874 style, none of the other ones.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #417 on: August 26, 2022, 05:09:46 PM »
I buy them in bulk as well since I can’t stand the Cintas work pants(besides it saves me $ on uniform services since I only get their shirts). The material seems to be the same, although I haven’t gotten to wearing the Mexico made yet. It looks like they just screwed the sizing in length up. I wear 28L and these are closer to a 30L. I can’t stand having the heels of my pants dragging. So I get a certain size for that reason. 20+ years and the length was consistent(for mine at least) and now they’re way long and varied lengths at that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
I buy them in bulk as well since I can’t stand the Cintas work pants(besides it saves me $ on uniform services since I only get their shirts). The material seems to be the same, although I haven’t gotten to wearing the Mexico made yet. It looks like they just screwed the sizing in length up. I wear 28L and these are closer to a 30L. I can’t stand having the heels of my pants dragging. So I get a certain size for that reason. 20+ years and the length was consistent(for mine at least) and now they’re way long and varied lengths at that.

It defeats the purpose of buying pants at the specific size if you have to get them altered, but lots of people I know do just that.  No matter what they are like, some people will get them taken up or taken in down in the lower leg or all sorts of other things.

Gotta admit when the Mahogany brown colour was discontinued, I bought lots of runout stock with the longer leg to get them taken up and they are still my favourite skate pants, but usually for anything else, the 32 length works well enough. 

In saying that, if they don't fit nicely for length, they become shorts, or they find another home.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 460
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2022, 03:00:34 PM »
…and it’s back. I’ve been on 8.25 with 148 Thunder for a while now and I’m peeking over the fence at Thunder 149s again. I had sold off my 149s and here I am thinking about buying another set. Talk me out of it or into it. Whatever.