Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 82707 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #690 on: November 28, 2022, 06:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fuuukkkk.

About 8-10 months ago I decided to go Indy on all the boards I ride most often. I bought some 144 hollows to go with my 149 ti and 159 hollow forged. A few months ago I was able to get two more sets of Ti 159s for about $80 so I picked them up.  I still had a setup with Stage 8 146s, and two with Ace that I would very rarely mess around with in the bowl.

I'm turning 50 next month.  A year ago I was able to ollie over 5 boards, and this summer I couldn't come close.  I chalked it up to skating mostly transition and getting older. 

This afternoon I was cleaning the garage and found my Thunder 149 ti that I had on the board when I made it over the 5 and decided to put them on a deck again.   Dammit if I didn't add 6 inches to my ollie.  I may be able to do it again.

Madness again!!!
[close]

50 yo ollieing 5 boards is probably nbd? Put that on youtube/insta/thrasher cover
[close]

This was a year and a half ago at 48.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNv9LyDBjBi/

Someone please photoshop him on the SOTY cover of Thrasher.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Luddite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #691 on: November 28, 2022, 09:53:19 PM »
Does anyone else struggle with timing when switching pieces of your set up/shoes? Everyone knows the combination of new shoes and an old board sucks, but what if your shoes are blown but your board still has some life in it? What if youre setting up a board but you know your shoes only have a few good sessions left in them? New wheels feel weird on an old board so does that mean I need to wait until I set up a new board and therefor probably new shoes? It feels wasteful to get new product just for the sake of not feeling weird about something else being new but I dont know how to get around it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #692 on: November 28, 2022, 10:27:04 PM »
Ok so I'm dumb. I basically have been buying the wrong size shoes for ten years. My toes were hurting the other day so I swapped shoes toe still hurt swapped again still fukn hurt which led me to trying on all like 30 pairs of shoes I have and only 4 pairs don't have my toes scrunched up as default.
What's so much dumber to this situation is I did the exact same thing in 2012 which led me to get rid of all the huge amount of shoes I had back then and start over thinking I'd figured it out lol.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #693 on: November 28, 2022, 10:56:15 PM »
Does anyone else struggle with timing when switching pieces of your set up/shoes? Everyone knows the combination of new shoes and an old board sucks, but what if your shoes are blown but your board still has some life in it? What if youre setting up a board but you know your shoes only have a few good sessions left in them? New wheels feel weird on an old board so does that mean I need to wait until I set up a new board and therefor probably new shoes? It feels wasteful to get new product just for the sake of not feeling weird about something else being new but I dont know how to get around it.

I'll suck up any gear shittiness to avoid the dreaded new shoes + new grip combination. I may walk around in the new shoes for a week prior to skating them to break in the soles a bit.

Ok so I'm dumb. I basically have been buying the wrong size shoes for ten years. My toes were hurting the other day so I swapped shoes toe still hurt swapped again still fukn hurt which led me to trying on all like 30 pairs of shoes I have and only 4 pairs don't have my toes scrunched up as default.
What's so much dumber to this situation is I did the exact same thing in 2012 which led me to get rid of all the huge amount of shoes I had back then and start over thinking I'd figured it out lol.

How did you get your shoe size wrong for so long?

Growing up I liked the Emerica Kirchart so much that I convinced myself I was a US 10.5 when I was a 9.5 / 10, probably led to unnecessary ankle injuries as a result.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 11:23:49 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #694 on: November 29, 2022, 12:06:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll suck up any gear shittiness to avoid the dreaded new shoes + new grip combination. I may walk around in the new shoes for a week prior to skating them to break in the soles a bit.

Expand Quote
[close]

How did you get your shoe size wrong for so long?

Growing up I liked the Emerica Kirchart so much that I convinced myself I was a US 10.5 when I was a 9.5 / 10, probably led to unnecessary ankle injuries as a result.
I think because I just hated being a size 13 (or as it turns out a 14) so I'd just squeeze into size 11s and 12s so it looked more normal, especially in the Dylan fashion/gravis type shoe days. I also played soccer and did distance running too and both of those and skating I felt like I needed the shoes to be super tight to perform properly. In 2012 I had some spine issues took some time off skating, running, soccer and decided I'd walk like two hours everyday because it's the only exercise I could do and that's the first time it I was like fuck this I'm getting bigger shoes so went back to 13s which now I'm thinking at the time seemed like such an improvement I thought it was right.
Then over pandemic I took to wearing flip flops or barefoot which I'd never really done before and I think it allowed my feet to stretch out even more lol

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #695 on: November 29, 2022, 01:47:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

New grip & new shoes are indeed the worst. I’ll do anything to avoid that. I break in new shoes by walking first also but I still consider them as new shoes for skating as that they are.

I just changed to new wheels in my old setup. Definitely an adjustment period there but not too bad. Some things are clearly better, some a bit worse. Ideally I’d like to change to new wheels with a new deck but that’s not always possible. New trucks I don’t care if I change anything else with them or not even though I thought I should to get the grooves right but mine are all over the place anyway so it doesn’t matter that much. Bearings, hardware, risers, rails are whatever. Change when needed and use old ones if they’re still in good order. I also usually regrip my boards at some point and that takes some adjustment also even though it’s overall clearly much better.

Small adjustment periods a bit more often is much better for me than changing all at once (ie. shoes & deck).

IpathCats

« Reply #696 on: November 29, 2022, 06:11:56 AM »

Yes, pretty sure everyone in the madness thread can relate to that.

Never skate brand new shoes, bad for your feet and they're just objectively worse to skate in until they are broken in. I usually wear a pair around for almost a month before skating.

I would say its better to swap one component at a time and deal with the differences than to skate a WHOLE fresh setup, that shit just feels horrible imo.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #697 on: November 29, 2022, 06:13:53 AM »

I struggle to get my timing every time I’m back on the board. I often take five-ten minutes just to roll around and get used to where my tail is gonna click before I go and do anything.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

LebowskisRug

« Reply #698 on: November 29, 2022, 08:39:04 AM »
Unless you're buying really stiff/firm shoes the padding won't pack out much from just walking as it will skating. Skating can loosen up the sole and upper a bit and flex it in, but you can't break in the rubber where you flick or the rear foot padding.

What I prefer is wearing around and then for a few sessions I'll wear them a bit near the end and do lower impact token tricks and some flat. Maybe bring em to skate curbs a bit too. That way I kinda don't care if things feel off- I've already gotten in my good skating for the day and can relax and not freak out.

Wheels I'll put on an older setup for the last week if I'm going to skate the same other shit next. Maybe try to find a slightly less steep deck for my next, but I get used to wheels pretty fast.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #699 on: November 29, 2022, 09:40:38 AM »
It annoys me but sort of gives me purpose in that I’m working on breaking something in or just enjoying something broken in.  I can’t do too much new but I’ve found what I like and it doesn’t stress me out too bad.  Something like skating new trucks, it sort of sucks but I’ve been through it enough times that it doesn’t take long to get it sorted or if I don’t like a brand, I’ll repurpose them….

You know the other part of gear madness….that’s not gear……

IpathCats

« Reply #700 on: November 29, 2022, 09:57:01 AM »
Unless you're buying really stiff/firm shoes the padding won't pack out much from just walking as it will skating. Skating can loosen up the sole and upper a bit and flex it in, but you can't break in the rubber where you flick or the rear foot padding.

What I prefer is wearing around and then for a few sessions I'll wear them a bit near the end and do lower impact token tricks and some flat. Maybe bring em to skate curbs a bit too. That way I kinda don't care if things feel off- I've already gotten in my good skating for the day and can relax and not freak out.

Wheels I'll put on an older setup for the last week if I'm going to skate the same other shit next. Maybe try to find a slightly less steep deck for my next, but I get used to wheels pretty fast.

I'm a cupsole guy so walking helps a lot. But you're right, there are some parts of the shoe that really only break in from skating.

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #701 on: November 29, 2022, 10:08:09 AM »
Hey guys, first time posting on Slap. Had to make an acc after lurking in this thread.

First of all thank you for this support, nice to know you are not alone in such shit.

So basically after years on 8.25 standart popsicles and Indy 144 forged hollows/thunder 148 hollow lights, I got the madness about an year ago. Wanted to size up a bit.

Long story short, since then I had tried all of the big 4 when it comes to trucks, in multiple widghts combined with multiple sizes and shapes of boards. All in all I’ve (almost) menaged to narrow it down to (almost) two setups and I cannot decide wich one is the right one.

Wheels are excluded, because F4s💁.

The first is Enjoi R7 8.375 DEEDZ Shape paired with ACEs AF1 44.

The second is AH 8.5 14inch WB (the fall drop, basically WBSWB deck) paired with Indys 149 standart.

I am fairly short guy and I like the short wheelbases.

Tbh I’ve tried the AH board with Ventures Hi 5.8 standarts, but I am not sure about getting used to the turn and also the prolonged wheelbase.

Also having a crispy Deedz deck waiting to be used here.

Anyway, It’s far from over as it seems right now, but I’m trying to be strong and get trough this, because I cannot have more than one setup and it hurts my consistency and wallet hehe.

Cheers.

IpathCats

« Reply #702 on: November 29, 2022, 10:42:31 AM »
Hey guys, first time posting on Slap. Had to make an acc after lurking in this thread.

First of all thank you for this support, nice to know you are not alone in such shit.

So basically after years on 8.25 standart popsicles and Indy 144 forged hollows/thunder 148 hollow lights, I got the madness about an year ago. Wanted to size up a bit.

Long story short, since then I had tried all of the big 4 when it comes to trucks, in multiple widghts combined with multiple sizes and shapes of boards. All in all I’ve (almost) menaged to narrow it down to (almost) two setups and I cannot decide wich one is the right one.

The second is AH 8.5 14inch WB (the fall drop, basically WBSWB deck) paired with Indys 149 standart.

Tbh I’ve tried the AH board with Ventures Hi 5.8 standarts, but I am not sure about getting used to the turn and also the prolonged wheelbase.

Anyway, It’s far from over as it seems right now, but I’m trying to be strong and get trough this, because I cannot have more than one setup and it hurts my consistency and wallet hehe.

Cheers.

IMO, just decide how much surf you want. If it's as much surf as possible, stick to the enjoi/ACE setup. If you want something a bit more well rounded and a little less surfy, stick with the AH/indy setup. I

I ride the 8.38x14.5 and the 8.3x14.4 twin tail from deluxe. both with 149's. im pretty tall though so i like a longer wb.

If you like the height of the standards but find them too heavy i would HIGHLY recommend getting some titanium hangers and putting them on your standard plates. I have been LOVING this mashup lately.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #703 on: November 29, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Indy hollow cast baseplate with titanium hanger seems like the ultimate Indy hack. Standard 55mm height, lighter all around from the hollow kingpin and titanium hanger. Expensive and ridiculous, but might be amazing. All the turn, could run bigger wheels, and lightweight.

Also, I’m so tempted to get a setup with some hollow venture 5.2 Lo’s and an 8 board…. Just want to remember what low trucks used to feel like. That quick pop.

Also got stoked on watching some westgate footage. I think from his nine club interview he rides an 7.75-8.0 with venture hollow light lo’s.

So so tempted..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 10:50:31 AM by FGO925 »

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #704 on: November 29, 2022, 11:00:33 AM »
Expand Quote

Wheels are excluded, because F4s.

Cheers.
[close]

IMO, just decide how much surf you want. If it's as much surf as possible, stick to the enjoi/ACE setup. If you want something a bit more well rounded and a little less surfy, stick with the AH/indy setup. I

I ride the 8.38x14.5 and the 8.3x14.4 twin tail from deluxe. both with 149's. im pretty tall though so i like a longer wb.

If you like the height of the standards but find them too heavy i would HIGHLY recommend getting some titanium hangers and putting them on your standard plates. I have been LOVING this mashup lately.

Thank you, that is how I see it too, as crazy as it may sound somewhere deep I know I feel and skate better on the AH/Indy combo. Thunders were fun while it lasted but too low, Ventures had crazy good pinch and pop, but the turn was not for me. Fortunately I do not mind the weight of the Indys for now. Hopefully AH will keep on making these shorter boards, because they are super good imo.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 03:28:40 AM by Scholesey »

IpathCats

« Reply #705 on: November 29, 2022, 11:05:21 AM »
Indy hollow cast baseplate with titanium hanger seems like the ultimate Indy hack. Standard 55mm height, lighter all around from the hollow kingpin and titanium hanger. Expensive and ridiculous, but might be amazing. All the turn, could run bigger wheels, and lightweight.

Also, I’m so tempted to get a setup with some hollow venture 5.2 Lo’s and an 8 board…. Just want to remember what low trucks used to feel like. That quick pop.

Also got stoked on watching some westgate footage. I think from his nine club interview he rides an 7.75-8.0 with venture hollow light lo’s.

So so tempted..

Yea, im just rocking standard plates and ti hangers, might get cast hollow plates next if i feel the need for less weight. Though i havent really felt that need yet, and my trucks will get lighter as i grind material off of them.

That would be some top tier madness. Rocking hollow cast plates until you grinded enough material off of your titanium hangers to make the standard cast plates feel good again haha. 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #706 on: November 29, 2022, 11:11:16 AM »

^ ^ ^ this was my secret exit out of truck gear madness (when also paired with aftermarket conical indy bushings).

the exit out of board gear madness was the Polar 8.5 w/wheel wells

the wheel gear madness still clings sometimes when I cant decide between conical fulls and classics and my size preference varies between 50mm to 56mm 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 11:22:15 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #707 on: November 29, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »

the wheel gear madness still clings sometimes when I cant decide between conical fulls and classics and my size preference varies between 50mm to 56mm 

For me the deck dictates the wheels. I run anything from 54 to 60 mm. I usually wear my wheels down to about 50 mm before I get rid of them so essentially I go from 50 to 60 mm I guess.

Anyway, some decks just work with smaller wheels much better and some much better with bigger wheels. I’m ok with this and can tell quite fast if something feels off wheel wise and then change wheels based on that. Having some options with wheels doesn’t have to mean that it’s madness.

Having typed all that up I just remembered that you said you run the same trucks and decks so everything I wrote is kinda useless as it’s a different case to yours altogether. So never mind or something.  ;D

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #708 on: November 29, 2022, 04:17:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For me the deck dictates the wheels. I run anything from 54 to 60 mm. I usually wear my wheels down to about 50 mm before I get rid of them so essentially I go from 50 to 60 mm I guess.

Anyway, some decks just work with smaller wheels much better and some much better with bigger wheels. I’m ok with this and can tell quite fast if something feels off wheel wise and then change wheels based on that. Having some options with wheels doesn’t have to mean that it’s madness.

Having typed all that up I just remembered that you said you run the same trucks and decks so everything I wrote is kinda useless as it’s a different case to yours altogether. So never mind or something.  ;D

It all makes perfect sense though, so yes I can see what you are saying there.

More than anything, for people who do ride bigger wheels, there are going to be different things to take into account, when compared to others who are only riding smaller wheels.

I used to get the Spitfire Bighead 57 and 59mm wheels and enjoy wearing them down til they were on par with most other people's wheels they bought at 52 or similar size, but having different boards to skate different things has also been my go to since I could have one setup with big wheels and one with smaller / worn down wheels, everything else pretty much the same on both setups too, but some decks would work better than others with the wheel changes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #709 on: November 29, 2022, 06:36:55 PM »
I set up a dwindle r7 steep concave. It’s an 8.5” which is smaller than I’d like to skate but I got it for free.
Red top ply.. you see where I’m going here.
Slammed hard slipping out in a mini ramp and I have every reason to blame that board and confirm my suspicion.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #710 on: November 29, 2022, 09:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

New grip & new shoes are indeed the worst. I’ll do anything to avoid that. I break in new shoes by walking first also but I still consider them as new shoes for skating as that they are.

I just changed to new wheels in my old setup. Definitely an adjustment period there but not too bad. Some things are clearly better, some a bit worse. Ideally I’d like to change to new wheels with a new deck but that’s not always possible. New trucks I don’t care if I change anything else with them or not even though I thought I should to get the grooves right but mine are all over the place anyway so it doesn’t matter that much. Bearings, hardware, risers, rails are whatever. Change when needed and use old ones if they’re still in good order. I also usually regrip my boards at some point and that takes some adjustment also even though it’s overall clearly much better.

Small adjustment periods a bit more often is much better for me than changing all at once (ie. shoes & deck).

+1 for avoidance of the dreaded new/new deck/shoes combo.

I try my best to keep either one of those variables in the back of my mind when considering swapping out. New kicks can give an old deck a few more sessions of life and a new deck/grip can do similar for a pair of shoes (unless they're totally bagged/packed out and have holes in the soles).

My kicks usually end up being jerry-rigged together with more shoe-goo than leather remaining, though issues with my old-man legs have got me thinking I've probably skated my shoes too many years well past their expiration dates.

Might just have to embrace the madness with respect to new shoes for the sake of my body and to the detriment of my wallet/the environment.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

LebowskisRug

« Reply #711 on: November 30, 2022, 12:58:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Cheers.
[close]

I wouldn't get too attached to the Deedz deck since he is clearly not on Enjoi anymore

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #712 on: November 30, 2022, 02:19:25 AM »
I never understood the "Koston redrills his trucks" thing, well now I get it. That's the first time I can see it clearly. Second slide, board on the right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClffeKhr7wF/

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #713 on: November 30, 2022, 02:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Cheers.
[close]

[close]

I wouldn't get too attached to the Deedz deck since he is clearly not on Enjoi anymore

Dwindle used that shape before him, it just happened to be the one he liked and actually skated so they made it his signature shape.

I want to say it was originally from a reissue or throwback series but don't quote me on that, but anyways if you go back and look at older dwindle catalogs you'll see the 8.37 x 31.6 14.2wb football pop up from time to time. I'm sure it won't be as easy to find without them doing all of his decks on it, but I doubt it'll disappear entirely.

Madness also has a shape with those dimensions but square and mellower kicks, I'm ashamed to say it's one of the best boards I've ever skated.

Also fun fact - those dwindle football reissues like the Lotti one are basically just a slimmed down version of that shape. Same mold and everything, just 8 1/8" wide rather than 8 3/8".

IpathCats

« Reply #714 on: November 30, 2022, 05:25:24 AM »
I never understood the "Koston redrills his trucks" thing, well now I get it. That's the first time I can see it clearly. Second slide, board on the right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClffeKhr7wF/

so hes shrinking his wb? interesting. you would think he could just get a board made with the right dims

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #715 on: November 30, 2022, 06:28:24 AM »
It's probably more about pop feel than it is about wb. easier to drill one set of baseplates than every deck, because i would think even koston has difficulties getting is board drilled with same shape, just slightly shrunken wheelbase

IpathCats

« Reply #716 on: November 30, 2022, 06:50:50 AM »
It's probably more about pop feel than it is about wb. easier to drill one set of baseplates than every deck, because i would think even koston has difficulties getting is board drilled with same shape, just slightly shrunken wheelbase

shorter wb and lighter pop feel? Just ride aces?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #717 on: November 30, 2022, 09:30:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hey, I wouldn't go there, just speculating his reasoning.

IpathCats

« Reply #718 on: November 30, 2022, 09:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i would be very curious to know how close the re drilled ventures are to ace wb.

they're close in height right?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: November 30, 2022, 09:40:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

i would be very curious to know how close the re drilled ventures are to ace wb.

they're close in height right?
Are ace still thru diamond? Was there any bad blood there when Koston left Craig co