Author Topic: How do you guys take care of your feet?  (Read 2177 times)

in love w/ fs shuvs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
How do you guys take care of your feet?
« on: June 12, 2022, 11:25:48 PM »
Not sure if there is already a thread for this but I wanted to hear how y'all take care of your feet. Recently hopped on the foam roller + 5 in diameter massage ball for calfs but I don't really have any self care routines for feet.

I can definitely feel the toll of bashing them against concrete nowadays. Our bodies are amazing; glass wouldn't stand a chance!

Probably wouldnt hurt to get new insoles too...

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
Re: How do you guys take care of your feet?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 12:24:37 AM »
I stopped having feet problems once I switched to FP insoles. Joey is a fucking kook but I'll give it to him, the insoles do work. Other than that, making sure I stretch my ankles and stuff after a session. Even some basic stretches done right will help in the long run imo.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 12:54:51 AM »
I wear cupsoles

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 01:10:09 AM »
I don't really do any high-impact skating, so I can skate vulcs comfortably without issue. I'm loving Last Resort and I hope they stay in business for the long run.

As far as foot health is concerned, I learned years ago that the most important thing is to have several pairs of shoes to cycle between. According to the research I've read, and I believe it, is that it takes 2 full days for your sweaty sneakers to dry out. So, it's best to have at least 3 pairs of shoes if you skate every day, and cycle them accordingly. For anyone who snowboards you know the feeling of putting your foot into a wet boot the second day of the trip and how horrible it feels.

My feet would stink and I would get super swampy feet before I started doing this, now, it's not a problem.

I put green tea bags in my shoes when not wearing them which helps to dry them out and keep them fresh.

I also use cornstarch as a talc powder substitute. Sprinkle a bit in my shoes before I put them on and it keeps my feet pretty dry throughout the day.

I also recently have started scrubbing my feet with a pretty stiff brush in the shower. Scrub off all the dead skin.

My feet are still fucked up and gross in general but they were way more fucked up before I started putting a bit more care into them.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 01:16:31 AM »
I wear cupsoles

W/ kingfoams for me. Shits golden

Jebediah

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 09:52:16 AM »
I keep the nails short, cutting the big toe nail straight across so it doesn't get ingrown. Hot soak in an epsom salt bath once a week. 

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 11:13:52 AM »
I have a brookstone shiatsu foot massager. Usually after every session.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 11:24:31 AM »
Walk barefoot to make your feet stronger, like everywhere

Get rid of insoles, they just make you weaker

Before bed walk on this like you're on a log in a river, takes a minute

Wear cupsoles (or vulc) and insoles when you're skating

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 11:45:50 AM »
Frozen water bottle for rolling on feet when you have achy feet or Plantar Fasciitis.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 10:34:46 PM »
Sports orthotics, cupsole, foot massage date nights……

The isqueeze is pretty fucked if you haven’t tried it…

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 11:41:03 PM »

what diameter and thickness you running?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 01:57:38 AM »
I destroyed my feet with years of skating, playing soccer and rubgy and distance running all in shoes one or two sizes too small. One time the entire fat pad on the ball of my foot came off. Now I just wear shoes that have sufficient space which does make my skating suffer but I'll take that over my feet suffering any more. And definatly walking around barefoot or in flip flops is pretty good. Also it always sounds dumb but make sure you actually know how to walk and run. So many people do it wrong and destroy their bodies from such a basic mistake

skatebruh

• Rep: 27
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 06:19:15 AM »
I started buying shoes exclusively based on how well they fit my feet.

My big toes need a certain amount of lateral space to avoid pain, but if my shoes are too long, it throws off my kickflip.

Never buy shoes without trying them on.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2022, 06:21:23 AM »
I put a golf ball in a sock and roll the sole of my feet over it before and after I skate. If I hit a tender spot, I will put as much pressure on that spot as possible to get rid of the "hot spot." and also grip the golf ball under the ball of my foot with my toes.

If the golf ball is too much, you can start out with a tennis ball.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2022, 12:00:20 PM »
Broken record: foot pain keeps me from skating more than anything.
Shoes that err to the larger size are essential for me.
I completely agree with several pairs of shoes in rotation. I think that practice also challenges the feet in a positive way, but what do I know.

What cupsoles are winners? I really enjoy LRAB, but like to switch it up

SaySo

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »
I completely agree with several pairs of shoes in rotation. I think that practice also challenges the feet in a positive way, but what do I know.

@OK when you say you have several pairs of shoes in rotation, do you mean that they are dedicated, "skate only" shoes? If so, I totally agree. If not, if one is in the financial position to justify doing so, I've found it's good to have shoes only used for skating to avoid the midsoles being crushed out.

With respect to cupsoles, I've had great experiences with Joslin's (both 1's and 2's, though I prefer the 2's (which have sadly been discontinued)), the soles last forever, the uppers are durable, and the support/cushioning is great. They run TTS.

But the trade-off, as you may know, is that you will lose a lot of the board feel you have with vulcs like LRAB.

I just copped a pair of Tiagos but haven't skated them yet (still breaking them in). Will let you know how they turn out. They seem super cozy at the moment and very supportive.

EDIT:

I hesitated to list these, because they seem to be quite polarizing on the forums...

...But, WRT to wide shoes, I've also found that AREth cupsoles are great. I've worn them all day for work (on my feet), then skated them (yes, contradicting what I previously said, but that particular day I didn't have my skate shoes with me) and my feet felt great.

The uppers are treated with DWR so they don't stain as easily, they come with two sets of laces, an upper matching patch of leather (unfortunately no vegan options) if repairs are needed, and the soles are also durable - at least the gum soles. The model I have, the Bulit, reminds me of an IPath Cat (except with a one-piece toe) or a Lakai MJ Stay Flared (except with a cupsole)

YMMV, but from my experience they run between 1/4 and 1/2 size larger than most major brands, and I think are only made up to size 11.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 02:00:29 AM by SaySo »
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Monopolyman

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 10:03:37 PM »
https://yogatoes.com/products/yogatoes-for-men

wearing these yoga toes things while rolling a lacrosse ball under your feet really helps with plantar fasciitis.  Also helps to wet the silicone yoga toes first, they slip right in and feel really good.

Also yes, echoing the wide shoes and the Joey Brezinski insoles, really makes a difference Ive found

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2022, 06:09:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@OK when you say you have several pairs of shoes in rotation, do you mean that they are dedicated, "skate only" shoes? If so, I totally agree. If not, if one is in the financial position to justify doing so, I've found it's good to have shoes only used for skating to avoid the midsoles being crushed out.

With respect to cupsoles, I've had great experiences with Joslin's (both 1's and 2's, though I prefer the 2's (which have sadly been discontinued)), the soles last forever, the uppers are durable, and the support/cushioning is great. They run TTS.

But the trade-off, as you may know, is that you will lose a lot of the board feel you have with vulcs like LRAB.

I just copped a pair of Tiagos but haven't skated them yet (still breaking them in). Will let you know how they turn out. They seem super cozy at the moment and very supportive.

EDIT:

I hesitated to list these, because they seem to be quite polarizing on the forums...

...But, WRT to wide shoes, I've also found that AREth cupsoles are great. I've worn them all day for work (on my feet), then skated them (yes, contradicting what I previously said, but that particular day I didn't have my skate shoes with me) and my feet felt great.

The uppers are treated with DWR so they don't stain as easily, they come with two sets of laces, an upper matching patch of leather (unfortunately no vegan options) if repairs are needed, and the soles are also durable - at least the gum soles. The model I have, the Bulit, reminds me of an IPath Cat (except with a one-piece toe) or a Lakai MJ Stay Flared (except with a cupsole)

YMMV, but from my experience they run between 1/4 and 1/2 size larger than most major brands, and I think are only made up to size 11.

Weird cuz I’ve been looking at AREth! Via ig they responded that I should size true to 1/2 down (if I wear a 10, get a 9.5). The shape looks a little different, if I wore really baggy pants it’d be no thing. Lots of classic skate shoes look like they are made for toddlers, these reeeeaally have that vibe. Hopefully I can get over it and just pull the trigger

SaySo

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2022, 08:30:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

EDIT:

[close]

Weird cuz I’ve been looking at AREth! Via ig they responded that I should size true to 1/2 down (if I wear a 10, get a 9.5). The shape looks a little different, if I wore really baggy pants it’d be no thing. Lots of classic skate shoes look like they are made for toddlers, these reeeeaally have that vibe. Hopefully I can get over it and just pull the trigger

Crazy coincidence!

Yeah, 1/2 size down would be safe I think. But definitely try them on in person if you can. They've got decent distribution here in Japan, but even here it's still not a super well-known brand.

When I posted a thread on the UWTB forum about Quim possibly being on AREth, people weren't really feeling them at all. But they honestly look a lot better in person.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2022, 12:07:32 PM »
Backing the walking on a tube thing. I use an extra stuff foam roller, and I will balance on that for sometimes a half an hour or so while I do stretches, or just watch tv. Improves my balance and it has definitely helped my ankle recover from a recent rolling.

I am a sincere and unironic “barefoot is legal” guy. It’s pretty cold and wet here so I don’t do it often, but I literally walk barefoot when I can, and I have some Merrel “barefoot” shoes which would great for this purpose. I also have a couple of pairs of insanely thick, padded Brooks running shoes, so I’m pretty inconsistent.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2022, 02:11:19 PM »
I need to do the barefoot thing more.
Brooks makes great shoes.
I wear Birkenstock sandals sometimes, and they are very helpful. When my feet are really cooked, those help a lot.
Losing weight helps my feet. I’m not big, but I must be fragile, because an extra 5-10 pounds I notice in the feet, quickly.
I’ve done some really inconsistent exercising, but when I’m walking more often, and doing calf raises, my feet feel better.
I’ll try the rolling tube.

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »

Buy the cheapest one of these you can find. Charge it to max battery power, then empty the fuckin clip on the soles of your feet. Go until it dies. Do this right before bed and you will wake up to what feels like a successful foot transplant.

SaySo

biaherl

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2022, 10:50:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

4 inch, at schedule 40 (thickness) by 2 feet long is the usual goto.

I started off walking on a foam roller now I do it with a 2 inch pipe, which is brutal. With the 2" pipe (by 2 feet long) I do that like I'm rolling out some pizza dough with a rolling pin but with my feet, you can get sideways and really dig in. I like it more than a lacrosse ball because you have more control, best way to end my work day

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2022, 01:57:09 PM »
I'm from Germany.
We use to do a thing called "Wassertreten".
Basically waterwalking, kind of. Sebastian Kneipp is the guy who invented it.
It needs to be really cold water. You walk in there for a few minutes and then you walk your feet dry. Preferably over gras and gravel. Repeat it 3-4 times.
I do this 3 times a week. It's awesome after a long session.
We got Kneipp facilities where you can go.
But a cold river or even something self-made will do it to.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2022, 02:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I started off walking on a foam roller now I do it with a 2 inch pipe, which is brutal. With the 2" pipe (by 2 feet long) I do that like I'm rolling out some pizza dough with a rolling pin but with my feet, you can get sideways and really dig in. I like it more than a lacrosse ball because you have more control, best way to end my work day

Genius.
Uh, so is it 2"or 4"?

biaherl

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2022, 01:40:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Genius.
Uh, so is it 2"or 4"?

I was trying to say start with something easy like a foam roller then move on. Your feet build up a tolerance so you might have to move onto something harder like a foam roller that is hard plastic with a pointy foam exterior then to pvc. Starting off at 4” pvc isn’t gonna kill you so you can start there too

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2022, 12:15:33 AM »
Oddly, I was having a weird heel pain in my left foot recently, like for months, and then used a pumice stone on my heel and the pain went away almost immediately. Not sure if I had some small, weird foreign object trapped under the skin that got released, or if the extra dead skin was creating some strange imbalance that was the cause of the pain. But if anyone experiences the same unknown heel pain, the pumice stone is cheap and worth a shot. I got instant relief.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2022, 08:20:46 PM »
barefoot/flip flops as much as possible.

actively practicing heel to toe walking>strengthening arches> shoes with minimal arch support= stronger feet

practice this thing called the yoga hand shake - sit however you're going to sit, lift your foot with the corresponding hand, thread fingers of other hand between toes (all toes at the same time, like one of those toe separators pedicures use). Spread the toes out, make circles with the ankles in all directions.

stretch those feet. practice standing on toes, balancing, lifting your arches, standing on heels.

learn how to stand in an anatomically supportive way, starting with the feet by practicing planting first big toe mound, going diagonal to lateral heel, moving up to plant small toe mound, diagonal to plant medial heel. once these "corners" are planted into the ground, imagine lifting/engaging the arch of your foot. practice this one foot at a time, then both at a time. stand like this when you think to do so. weight distribution will shift

clip your toe nails regularly

wash the feet regularly
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2022, 04:55:15 AM »
Lay flat on your back, extend your legs and rest your feet on the wall so you make an L with your body. Stay there for 5-10 minutes. Combine with stretching and some or all of the aforementioned advice.

You don’t need to actively extend the legs, actually better if you don’t. The point here is to let blood and fluids in your legs flow back to your core and refresh them. There are valves in the veins of your legs that work like locks (in the dam sense) against gravity and holding this L posture helps aid their function by basically giving them a rest. They wear out over time and that’s how varicose veins form; old blood pooling between these valves.

Anyway, speaking anecdotally I notice the most pronounced difference doing this when I’m hiking, shit can straight up hurt sometimes. But the next day my feet and legs feel rejuvenated. At home I do it every night, especially when I’ve gone skating.

You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes