Author Topic: Gentle Breeze: 1 Biden: 0  (Read 2779 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Gentle Breeze: 1 Biden: 0
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 11:18:21 PM »
I used to ride clip in on a fixie. Used to because I pretty much front flipped on my bike on a bad day. Soon after, the fixie was relegated to a trainer.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 06:21:44 AM »
Despite riding them myself, I’m a bit Riv-pilled when it comes to clipless pedals. They provide a few advantages for very specific race and race-like riding, which is why I still have them, but 99% of cyclists would be better off with a pair of basic flats with metal pins - something like a Race Face Chester.

Also Biden is clearly senile and manifestly unable to do the job of being president. His rise to the nomination was solely in order to stop Bernie and prevent any institutional challenge to the moribund political structure of the Democrats, and it’s pretty obvious that they had absolutely no plans other than that and have not been able to come up with anything in the two years since. It is just a rotten organization from top to bottom, bested in their awfulness only by their rivals.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

thebacker

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2022, 07:43:10 AM »
Despite riding them myself, I’m a bit Riv-pilled when it comes to clipless pedals. They provide a few advantages for very specific race and race-like riding, which is why I still have them, but 99% of cyclists would be better off with a pair of basic flats with metal pins - something like a Race Face Chester.

Also Biden is clearly senile and manifestly unable to do the job of being president. His rise to the nomination was solely in order to stop Bernie and prevent any institutional challenge to the moribund political structure of the Democrats, and it’s pretty obvious that they had absolutely no plans other than that and have not been able to come up with anything in the two years since. It is just a rotten organization from top to bottom, bested in their awfulness only by their rivals.

the clip ins just feel so much more efficient compared to my old pedals, they def arent for everyone tho

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 10:19:06 AM »

Biden was knee-capped by Joe 'The Coal-Man' Manchin and Kooky Kyrsten Sinema. These two assholes fucked us over. The initial plan was good and now we are just going into re-election mode, which means the end taking on big controversial changes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/sanders-manchin-and-sinema-sabotaged-the-biden-agenda-140039237826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnn8xEj138

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2022, 10:26:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Biden was knee-capped by Joe 'The Coal-Man' Manchin and Kooky Kyrsten Sinema. These two assholes fucked us over. The initial plan was good and now we are just going into re-election mode, which means the end taking on big controversial changes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/sanders-manchin-and-sinema-sabotaged-the-biden-agenda-140039237826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRnn8xEj138

lol sure dude

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2022, 10:41:38 AM »
I haven't seen any major blunders by Joe Biden thus far. Better than the gigantic, dangerous shit show we had for the 4 previous years and of which we were staring down the barrel of another 4 years.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

cky enthusiast

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2022, 11:06:05 AM »
I haven't seen any major blunders by Joe Biden thus far. Better than the gigantic, dangerous shit show we had for the 4 previous years and of which we were staring down the barrel of another 4 years.

gas is 5 dollars a gallon and we’re on the knife edge of economic collapse

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2022, 11:08:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Both are extremely major.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2022, 11:28:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

and that's the fault of the current administration? I dislike it as much as the next guy, probably more, but I don't understand how that makes any sense outside the possibility of JB going full on FDR with public works and the like.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2022, 11:29:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Write your local representatives and encourage them to turn the gas price knob down a bit.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2022, 11:35:58 AM »
lol sure dude

Not sure why you bring up/promote Bernie in your post and then disregard Bernie's assessment of the situation.

Meet the Press host: "Why do we have nothing?"

Bernie: "Sen Manchin and Sen Sinema have sabotaged what the president has been fighting for...
...You have 48 members of the Senate who wanted to go forward with an agenda that helped working families that was prepared to take on the wealthy and the powerful. You had a president who wanted to do that; you had two people who prevented us from doing that."

@manysnakes response to Bernie: "Lol, sure dude."
This doesn't add up.

How does no one remember Trump asking Saudi Arabia to reduce oil production in order to raise oil prices? Trump wanted less oil to make sure the oil companies could make more money.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-oil-trump-saudi-specialreport-idUSKBN22C1V4

And, while I'd like to see intense supply side responses to global inflation rates post-pandemic rather than trying to reduce spending, what is your response to reducing inflation outside of the standard response to slow on the economy on purpose?

Note: It is interesting that we didn't frame housing or stock prices shooting to the moon as inflation during the pandemic, instead we said asset values are rising. This is an interesting slight of hand if you think in of this in terms of class: prices shooting to moon for things that older/richer people own is good, but wages or simple goods increasing in cost is the end of the world and we all need to freak out because the economy is "collapsing" despite high levels of employment and lots of open positions.  ::)

I don't give a fuck about a banana or some garbage plastic toy costing 8% more than it did a year ago... I care about housing costing 36% more than it did at the start of the pandemic.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:51:43 AM by TheLurper »

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2022, 11:52:48 AM »
Thanks @TheLurper

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2022, 12:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Both are extremely major.

Anytime you don't let corporations run wild, unfettered, prices raise as the corporations try to pass the loss down to the consumer so they can maintain their bottom line. I think the owness here doesn't fall squarely on the Biden Administration.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2022, 12:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote
lol sure dude
[close]

Not sure why you bring up/promote Bernie in your post and then disregard Bernie's assessment of the situation.

Meet the Press host: "Why do we have nothing?"

Bernie: "Sen Manchin and Sen Sinema have sabotaged what the president has been fighting for...
...You have 48 members of the Senate who wanted to go forward with an agenda that helped working families that was prepared to take on the wealthy and the powerful. You had a president who wanted to do that; you had two people who prevented us from doing that."

@manysnakes response to Bernie: "Lol, sure dude."

How is my mention of the historical fact of Democrats rallying to stop Bernie relevant to his opinion as stated on "Meet The Press"? There is absolutely no connection there.

What happened to the Biden who said that Republicans were going to work with him? That they would come to their senses? It was just bluster, everyone who bothers to pay any attention at all knows that if the Democrats had 52 senators, they'd have three or four holdouts, or a litany of other excuses for why nothing is going to get done. The Democrats are no longer a party insofar as a cohesive political organization with the means to impose discipline their members - it's just a brand that increasingly fewer and fewer people are interested in buying. The shit is completely out of gas and the Democrats are at least as culpable as the Republicans of standing in the way of progress. A completely hollow, rotten institution which is a an election cycle or two away from being in a permanent minority at the federal level, something they have taken exactly no action to stop. It doesn't matter, because they will continue to fundraise off of the loss of abortion rights, the end of the minimum wage, and whatever other revanchist insanity the Republicans have in store. Hence the Iron Law of Institutions.

Biden could absolutely impose price controls on gasoline - Nixon did just that in 1971. He's not going to because he's a senile old gargoyle who only understands things through the lens of his century in the Senate. All this shit about "not having the votes" is just the same defeatist rhetoric that the Democrats always resort to when they're in power. Just complete loser shit.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2022, 01:15:14 PM »

paying a lot of attention are ya?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2022, 01:18:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Living my life.

Care to enlighten me on the major blunders?

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2022, 01:31:35 PM »
They took our jobs

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2022, 01:31:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Living my life.

Afghanistan was inspiring...but i'm sure that can be spun in myriad ways

cky enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2022, 02:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

and that's the fault of the current administration? I dislike it as much as the next guy, probably more, but I don't understand how that makes any sense outside the possibility of JB going full on FDR with public works and the like.

JB is vocally trying to engineer mass unemployment and trigger a collapse to combat inflation as a litany of places start to unionize.

talk about trump all you want- he sucked. biden is supposed to be building back better and instead he’s throwing billions of dollars into an unaudited black hole labeled “war in ukraine” and actively dissuading the peace process over there. fuck this fool.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2022, 02:05:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Living my life.

[close]

I will cede that could have been handled better.

Still, would rather have Biden in office than Trump.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2022, 02:15:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Living my life.

[close]

[close]

I will cede that could have been handled better.

Still, would rather have Biden in office than Trump.

oh yeah, i know...and that's definitely a key factor in dealing honestly and practically with how great things are for the poor and working people of this country...

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2022, 02:51:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

JB is vocally trying to engineer mass unemployment and trigger a collapse to combat inflation as a litany of places start to unionize.

talk about trump all you want- he sucked. biden is supposed to be building back better and instead he’s throwing billions of dollars into an unaudited black hole labeled “war in ukraine” and actively dissuading the peace process over there. fuck this fool.

Completely agree.

But look on the bright side, at least all the economy-crippling sanctions are working exactly as planned… 

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/russia-ruble-multi-year-high-sanctions
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2022, 02:53:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Living my life.

[close]

One of a handful of good things he has done, which he immediately offset by getting the US involved in a proxy war with a nuclear power.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2022, 02:53:29 PM »
How is my mention of the historical fact of Democrats rallying to stop Bernie relevant to his opinion as stated on "Meet The Press"? There is absolutely no connection there.

What happened to the Biden who said that Republicans were going to work with him? That they would come to their senses? It was just bluster, everyone who bothers to pay any attention at all knows that if the Democrats had 52 senators, they'd have three or four holdouts, or a litany of other excuses for why nothing is going to get done. The Democrats are no longer a party insofar as a cohesive political organization with the means to impose discipline their members - it's just a brand that increasingly fewer and fewer people are interested in buying. The shit is completely out of gas and the Democrats are at least as culpable as the Republicans of standing in the way of progress. A completely hollow, rotten institution which is a an election cycle or two away from being in a permanent minority at the federal level, something they have taken exactly no action to stop. It doesn't matter, because they will continue to fundraise off of the loss of abortion rights, the end of the minimum wage, and whatever other revanchist insanity the Republicans have in store. Hence the Iron Law of Institutions.

Biden could absolutely impose price controls on gasoline - Nixon did just that in 1971. He's not going to because he's a senile old gargoyle who only understands things through the lens of his century in the Senate. All this shit about "not having the votes" is just the same defeatist rhetoric that the Democrats always resort to when they're in power. Just complete loser shit.

I disagree on a few points because:

1) I worry you are moving the goal posts or pretending not to understand what we are discussing:
A) Manysnakes "it’s pretty obvious that they had absolutely no plans other than [blocking Bernie] and have not been able to come up with anything in the two years since." (maybe I read this wrong?).
B) Bernie, "Biden had a plan to challenge the wealthy and powerful and it was sabotaged by 2 members"
C) Manysnakes, "What does this have to do with what I said?"
D)It obviously relates as you accused Biden of have zero plans other than blocking Bernie. Bernie says otherwise.

2) You are holding two opposing opinions at the same time:
A) Dems are a cohesive group who worked together to block Bernie from getting power.
B) Dems aren't even a party because only 96% of Dem Senators vote with the president and the House easily passes all his ideas. The two key hold-outs in the Senate are evidence that the entire party has failed.

3)Dems are as responsible as Republicans.
A) How can anyone make this accusation with a straight face. Are you watching the Jan 6 investigation hearings? The two parties are equally bad?
B) Have you forgotten what McConnell's role in the Senate is?
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/05/mitch-mcconnell-joe-biden-obstruction
https://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/2014-election-mitch-mcconnells-barack-obama-confrontation-110154

4) Impose price controls on gas:
A) I agree with limiting profit on oil, hell, I'd back only allowing state owned oil companies (Norway's state owned oil company seems to have worked well for the country and Canada getting rid of theirs only enriched American and Chinese oil companies). BUT a price control would be political suicide. The complaints of "socialism" when it comes to wearing a mask were insane. Actually setting the price of goods would set the right wing machine into overdrive.
B) How did the Nixon's attempt to engage in price control work when Nixon tried it out? What actually happens in these moments?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nixon-fight-inflation-price-controls-stagflation-gas-shortages-biden-democrats-reconciliation-bill-federal-reserve-11628885071 (I think the WSJ is obviously biased... so I am open to better sources/evolutions).
C) I disagree we should be making it easier to drive from place to place. And, this comes out as harsh, but Americans need to learn how to walk and ride their bikes. Out of all the places I've lived, Americans are the absolute best at coming up with lame excuses not to have to move their bodies.
C2) The disconnect between work and home was a horrible mistake and this is an opportunity to change it. Cheap low density suburban housing was a huge mistake and we are paying the costs.
C3) The correct solution is to let the suburbs die, while lowering cost of housing in cities (or turning the suburbs into cities)

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2022, 03:09:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

1) I worry you are moving the goal posts or pretending not to understand what we are discussing:
A) Manysnakes "it’s pretty obvious that they had absolutely no plans other than [blocking Bernie] and have not been able to come up with anything in the two years since." (maybe I read this wrong?).
B) Bernie, "Biden had a plan to challenge the wealthy and powerful and it was sabotaged by 2 members"
D)It obviously relates as you accused Biden of have zero plans other than blocking Bernie. Bernie says otherwise.

A) Dems are a cohesive group who worked together to block Bernie from getting power.
B) Dems aren't even a party because only 96% of Dem Senators vote with the president and the House easily passes all his ideas. The two key hold-outs in the Senate are evidence that the entire party has failed.

A) How can anyone make this accusation with a straight face. Are you watching the Jan 6 investigation hearings? The two parties are equally bad?
https://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/2014-election-mitch-mcconnells-barack-obama-confrontation-110154

A) I agree with limiting profit on oil, hell, I'd back only allowing state owned oil companies (Norway's state owned oil company seems to have worked well for the country and Canada getting rid of theirs only enriched American and Chinese oil companies). BUT a price control would be political suicide. The complaints of "socialism" when it comes to wearing a mask were insane. Actually setting the price of goods would set the right wing machine into overdrive.
B) How did the Nixon's attempt to engage in price control work when Nixon tried it out? What actually happens in these moments?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nixon-fight-inflation-price-controls-stagflation-gas-shortages-biden-democrats-reconciliation-bill-federal-reserve-11628885071 (I think the WSJ is obviously biased... so I am open to better sources/evolutions).
C) I disagree we should be making it easier to drive from place to place. And, this comes out as harsh, but Americans need to learn how to walk and ride their bikes. Out of all the places I've lived, Americans are the absolute best at coming up with lame excuses not to have to move their bodies.
C2) The disconnect between work and home was a horrible mistake and this is an opportunity to change it. Cheap low density suburban housing was a huge mistake and we are paying the costs.
C3) The correct solution is to let the suburbs die, while lowering cost of housing in cities (or turning the suburbs into cities)

what, you didn't have time to generate an infographic?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2022, 03:21:47 PM »

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2022, 03:59:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is the point of the Jan 6th hearings?  Who still doesn’t know what happened?  It was disgusting and awful and disgraceful and nauseating and every other possible negative adjective.  What is the goal?  So that we don’t forget how bad it was?  Should we repeat the hearings this time next year so that we continue not forgetting?  Should we also have some hearings on Japanese American internment camps just so we don’t forget how bad that was? 

To me, they are just a cynical ploy to try to get voters to get angrier about Jan 6th than the self-imposed economic nightmare our government has sentenced us to.

In regards to gas prices, there are price controls on milk and somehow we haven’t come to a civil war over it.

For lots of people that don’t live in urban areas, walking/biking/public transit aren’t viable options.  Punishing them with crippling gas prices as if they have done something wrong doesn’t make sense to me.

What are we supposed to do with people in the suburbs while we let them die?  Perhaps some of that $55 billion we sent to the Ukrainian war black hole could have been used to pay for some infrastructure and public transit.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 04:06:44 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2022, 04:07:34 PM »
My coworker whose relatives live in the Ukraine doesn't look at the ongoing war there as a "Ukranian War Black Hole".

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »
My coworker whose relatives live in the Ukraine doesn't look at the ongoing war there as a "Ukranian War Black Hole".

Ok well my mother's Ukrainian and she's frustrated with the west making the war markedly worse so she offsets your coworker.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2022, 04:37:21 PM »

I have nothing but sympathy for their civilians, but you think that Ukraine is going to defeat Russia if we just give them enough money?  How’s that going for them?

How much more money do we need to fork over?  We plunked down $55 billion dollars and they are getting systematically crushed.  How much more to reverse the tide?  A trillion?  2 trillion?  More?  How much does the Donbas belonging to Ukraine mean to you?  Can you put a dollar figure on it?

Wouldn’t pressing for peace be a more realistic and humanitarian thing to do?  Even if it means having to cede territory to Russia, that strikes me as really the only solution.  Would that be dooming the world to a dictatorial takeover like what happened with the appeasement of Hitler’s conquest of Poland?  I hope not, but unless we want to get involved ourselves and declare war on Russia, I don’t see any other options.