Author Topic: Gentle Breeze: 1 Biden: 0  (Read 2785 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
Re: Gentle Breeze: 1 Biden: 0
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2022, 05:10:36 PM »
The dorks in charge are making us want to fight amongst ourselves, but we should really be giving them wet willies, stepping on their toes, and rubbing sand in their butts.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2022, 11:16:11 PM »
That is the point of the Jan 6th hearings?  Who still doesn’t know what happened?  It was disgusting and awful and disgraceful and nauseating and every other possible negative adjective.  What is the goal?  So that we don’t forget how bad it was?  Should we repeat the hearings this time next year so that we continue not forgetting?  Should we also have some hearings on Japanese American internment camps just so we don’t forget how bad that was? 

To me, they are just a cynical ploy to try to get voters to get angrier about Jan 6th than the self-imposed economic nightmare our government has sentenced us to.

In regards to gas prices, there are price controls on milk and somehow we haven’t come to a civil war over it.

For lots of people that don’t live in urban areas, walking/biking/public transit aren’t viable options.  Punishing them with crippling gas prices as if they have done something wrong doesn’t make sense to me.

What are we supposed to do with people in the suburbs while we let them die?  Perhaps some of that $55 billion we sent to the Ukrainian war black hole could have been used to pay for some infrastructure and public transit.
You have my favorite avatar out of everyone so this bums me out a bit.

Considering, we had a president and other powerful politicians actively trying to overthrow a presidential election (voting might be a kind of important to our democratic-republic) and risking the life of the VP, I'd say we might reacting a little too meekly. Finding out exactly what Trump and his cronies did is important. Especially, considering a good portion of the US still thinks the election was "stolen" despite millions and millions of tax dollars being spent on election "audits." I hope Garland is watching and actually brings the law into this.

As for economic hell, I think we are all old enough to remember the 2008 recession. This feels nothing like that. What are the key metrics that equal "economic hell" for you? Unemployment is low, wages have risen, retail buying is increasing, people are purchasing more services, new orders of goods are rising, the deficit is much lower this year than last year, GDP is increasing, and so on. (see https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/ECONI-2022-05/pdf/ECONI-2022-05.pdf).

The stock market went down (this shit is a fucking scam owned primarily by the very few) and crypto went down (I couldn't care less and I think I remember crypto advocates telling me about "digital gold!" and "no fiat currency").

Gasoline and consumer goods have gone up in America and around the world as production is behind demand. Not ideal but I'm not convinced this equals economic hell in conjunction with all the positive aspects of the economy right now.

As for not walking or riding a bike in America. I went from 2007 until 2021 without a car. A few of these years were in small town America, a few in mid-sized city in mid-western America, one year in the sunbelt, and some time in LA, and the rest of the time outside of the US in places that are easier for people without cars AND they have cultures that are about getting off their asses.

When it comes the task of moving one's body from point A to point B, Americans are lazy, wimpy, and selfish. In the sunbelt, everyone complained, "It is too hot to ride a bike here." This was bullshit. The weather was perfect for 9 months out of the year. This excuse was complete bullshit. Life was hard in small town USA without a car. But, there is no reason anyone should need to fill the tank more than once or twice a month. The town was a 7 minute drive from end to end (worst place I ever lived).

In Finland people ride their bikes when it is -10 degrees, they walk 30 minutes to work in the snow, in the north of Finland I saw people take their sleds to the supermarket, people in Russia walk in freezing weather, but Americans won't get off their fat asses to ride their bikes in 60 degree weather. American culture has its high points, but our aversion having to move is not one of them. My sibling would drive to Trader Joes even though it was 1.5 blocks from her home. My mom drives to the supermarket even though it is 2 blocks from her house. My colleagues wouldn't walk to work cause it was uphill (despite it only being a 15 minute walk). The university students in the small uni town I lived in wouldn't walk to school. 19 years old and too fucking lazy to walk 12-20 minutes in the snow.

I don't think it is a "punishment" for the people in suburbs to pay the price of the cost of gas/oil. I have no interest in subsidizing them, their poor zoning laws, low density housing/their NIMBY response to multi family homes, and so on. They built their way of life off of the idea cheap gas would last forever. Even though since the 70s or the high has prices of 2008, they should have known that they were living on borrowed time. The suburbs were designed poorly and people bought into them because they were cheap, offered more space, and etc. They starved the cities of tax money and now want everyone else to cry that they have to pay for their ridiculous way of life? What happened to the "personal responsibility" "bootstrap" mentality of the 'burbs?

I really don't understand what the fuck Americans have been thinking for the past 50 years. Our love affair with the car is beyond stupid.

I think of this clip from an interview between a Saudi official and a British Journalist:
"Doesn't this new massive increase of the price of oil, mean a change in the world balance of power?
"Yes...You have to adjust yourself to the new circumstances."
40:54
https://youtu.be/84P4dzow1Bw
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 11:25:43 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2022, 01:56:17 AM »
Expand Quote
My coworker whose relatives live in the Ukraine doesn't look at the ongoing war there as a "Ukranian War Black Hole".
[close]

I have nothing but sympathy for their civilians, but you think that Ukraine is going to defeat Russia if we just give them enough money?  How’s that going for them?

How much more money do we need to fork over?  We plunked down $55 billion dollars and they are getting systematically crushed.  How much more to reverse the tide?  A trillion?  2 trillion?  More?  How much does the Donbas belonging to Ukraine mean to you?  Can you put a dollar figure on it?

Wouldn’t pressing for peace be a more realistic and humanitarian thing to do?  Even if it means having to cede territory to Russia, that strikes me as really the only solution.  Would that be dooming the world to a dictatorial takeover like what happened with the appeasement of Hitler’s conquest of Poland?  I hope not, but unless we want to get involved ourselves and declare war on Russia, I don’t see any other options.

Considering that Ukraine was expected to be defeated by Russia in a matter of days after Russia invaded in late-February and they are still fighting the good fight almost 4 months later, I'd say it's going better than expected for them.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2022, 06:36:10 AM »
Gas prices suck for sure, but that's so much bigger than one US presidential administration. I hear a lot of folks pushing for more domestic oil production, which I know flies in the face of the green energy movement, but it also just takes a long fuckin time and more money. I don't have numbers, but I feel as though we'd need to do a lot to build the infrastructure to support the American oil habit independent of other nations as well... Plus it's a global market, the idea of just making our own oil doesn't make sense to me (but if someone could explain how it would be possible, that would be rad).

@manysnakes that link seems like good news, hoping for no further escalation and a sooner rather than later end to the war.

But even without sanctions and bans on oil imports, production was not meeting demand when things picked back up after covid shutdowns. And we have oil companies buying back stocks to line shareholders pockets while that $ could be used to revamp production...

Someone smarter than me correct me if I'm wrong, but dems did try to pass legislation to prevent that kind of price gouging, no?

Edit: I admittedly know very little about the Biden administration's actions regarding Ukraine. Anybody care to share how we've affected the war/peace process other than by providing lots of money? I learn a lot in these threads, genuinely asking.

Edit again: @TheLurper loved the point about the way housing rates were framed during the pandemic. I do think, however, that Manchin and Sinema, although they are only two people, in this situation are representing exactly what has prevented dem success/structural change/progress for a long time now. Maybe they're the last of a dying breed in the party, but you gotta understand the frustration and lack of faith in a party that has a track record of prioritizing corporate interests over the people they claim to represent.

Also, let's not forget: old man slowly falling over on a bike is pretty funny
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 07:03:32 AM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2022, 07:06:54 AM »
we’ve repeatedly pressured zelensky out of negotiating a peace plan and currently the civilian battalions keep friendly firing each other so i’d say ur 5 billion and counting is being well spent

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2022, 07:49:13 AM »
we’ve repeatedly pressured zelensky out of negotiating a peace plan and currently the civilian battalions keep friendly firing each other so i’d say ur 5 billion and counting is being well spent

The overwhelming majority of news I've seen is focused on how staunch the Ukrainian resistance has been and how Russia has floundered. That's so great and I do hope that support from the US played a role, but I feel like because of this, the US wants to stay involved for the long haul as they see weaknesses in Russia they didn't see before and have an interest in dragging the war out to weaken it further and minimize Russia's threat to America. idk if Putin would negotiate in peace talks... However I honestly don't know after these last few months if Russia is the kind of threat it's been made out to be, poised to take over more of Europe given a victory in Ukraine (it is a nuclear power, though).

I read Biden is pushing for a whole lot more money to go toward Ukrainian aid... I get the desire to want to oppose a violent invasion, but I personally don't think prolonged use of the suffering of the Ukrainian people to justify fighting a proxy war with Russia is very heroic of the US, especially with pressing domestic issues. All of the support for Ukraine from actual human beings comes from genuine empathy and concern for the lives of others, but the government is playing a bigger game with it.

I do know that oil companies spent more than $80 billion on those stock buybacks though. Seems as though some of those billions could have been used to address supply and demand in the oil industry.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:47:00 AM by Urtripping »

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1418
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2022, 07:55:32 AM »

They set him up for failure, toe clips are dicey as is, and putting a geriatric man in them is a recipe for disaster. Is it kinda funny, he's proven himself to be a huge piece of shit over and over again. And yet I still voted for him. At least stagnation and all the other bullshit is better than living in a Christian theocracy.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

cky enthusiast

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2022, 08:16:29 AM »
i don’t even think he’s stopping us from living in a christian theocracy tbh

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2022, 08:33:28 AM »
Living here in this moment feels just like when I took a hipper on a fs air last week: shoulda bailed out long ago.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2022, 08:34:25 AM »
Seriously guys toe clips are beyond useless. Take the em off your bike if you have them, switch to flats with metal pins or just go clipless if that’s what you’re interested in.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2022, 08:42:30 AM »

Absolutely. Does the Biden administration have a big initiative or bill that they've gotten through congress that they can rally support around come 2024? How is "vote for us and members of our own party will sabotage our own agenda" appealing?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »
Living here in this moment feels just like when I took a hipper on a fs air last week: shoulda bailed out long ago.

america since vietnam has been jake brown and when we hit the flat bottom erry body gonna lose they shoes

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Absolutely. Does the Biden administration have a big initiative or bill that they've gotten through congress that they can rally support around come 2024? How is "vote for us and members of our own party will sabotage our own agenda" appealing?
Hell during the 2020 primaries he came right out and said during a debate "Under me nothing will fundamentally change."  Which is the opposite of what we really need.  And like you said, any meaningful change that COULD happen is getting tanked because they got duped by Manchin and Sinema.  Until the likes of Pelosi and Schumer and really all the old play nice democrats are out of office our two parties will be Republican, and Diet Republican.

Get hungry on it!

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2022, 08:54:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Hell during the 2020 primaries he came right out and said during a debate "Under me nothing will fundamentally change."  Which is the opposite of what we really need.  And like you said, any meaningful change that COULD happen is getting tanked because they got duped by Manchin and Sinema.  Until the likes of Pelosi and Schumer and really all the old play nice democrats are out of office and progressives can get a stronger foothold, our two parties will be Republican, and Diet Republican.

Get hungry on it!

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2022, 08:57:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Hell during the 2020 primaries he came right out and said during a debate "Under me nothing will fundamentally change."  Which is the opposite of what we really need.  And like you said, any meaningful change that COULD happen is getting tanked because they got duped by Manchin and Sinema.  Until the likes of Pelosi and Schumer and really all the old play nice democrats are out of office our two parties will be Republican, and Diet Republican.

Not to nitpick, but this was actually a quote offered in private to a group of wealthy donors.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2022, 08:59:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Not to nitpick, but this was actually a quote offered in private to a group of wealthy donors.

Which means it's more truthful than any public proclamation the mack has made
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:43:58 AM by DaleSr »

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2022, 09:03:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Which means it's the more truthful than any public proclamation the mack has made

Exactly

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2022, 09:14:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Which means it's the more truthful than any public proclamation the mack has made
[close]

Exactly
Oh weird, I'm having a Mandela Effect moment about it then. 

Get hungry on it!

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »

Yeah true, can't argue with you there friend.  :-\

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They set him up for failure, toe clips are dicey as is, and putting a geriatric man in them is a recipe for disaster.

After reviewing different angles of videos, I see (lack of) wheel flop as the main issue. The first red flag is that he dangles his left leg long before the bike comes to a stop. Even experienced roadies do this, but as a bicycle commuter, I have to dismount (or track stand) at every stop and only put my foot down after coming to a complete stop. Now that Biden's left foot is already down, the only choice is to lean the bike to the left. The correct way to do this is to shift your weight to the left and turn the handlebars to the right. This initiates wheel flop and the whole bike will tilt left. Since Biden kept the bars straight and his weight is evenly balanced, he can only hope that his weight will tilt left. Instead, he leans right, and his right foot is still in the cage, causing the fall. Thus the cage was only a secondary cause.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2022, 03:56:01 PM »
eh, he's much more poised here

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2022, 04:13:22 PM »
His biggest success thus far in my opinion

http://youtu.be/80BwqQQY31w

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »
eh, he's much more poised here

Wonder what he's saying here. Definitely not reading from his cue cards

Rohn_mob_joore

• Rep: -24
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2022, 12:43:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Posting Jimmy Dore clips? Gross.
[close]

Haha, what’s so bad about him?
[close]

Personally he had me back in 2016 arguing how Trump appointing three scotuses would be as likely as the moon falling into lake Michigan. He's a dumbfuck and a grifter, the best kind of useful idiot to the right.

He’s converted way more people from the right over to left-wing economic ideas. Calling people on the right inbred racist shitheads for everything doesn’t really work that well

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2022, 12:45:56 AM »
Biden may be old, but I'd take him over the alternative.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2022, 03:00:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Posting Jimmy Dore clips? Gross.
[close]

Haha, what’s so bad about him?
[close]

Personally he had me back in 2016 arguing how Trump appointing three scotuses would be as likely as the moon falling into lake Michigan. He's a dumbfuck and a grifter, the best kind of useful idiot to the right.
[close]

He’s converted way more people from the right over to left-wing economic ideas. Calling people on the right inbred racist shitheads for everything doesn’t really work that well

True! He's a working class hero for sure

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2022, 05:20:59 AM »
Can you get pedals with straps on them that you can slide your feet in and out of easily, like pedal sliders? I like the idea of being able to use the upswing to pedal but not of having my feet being glued to the fucking bike
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2022, 05:38:33 AM »
Can you get pedals with straps on them that you can slide your feet in and out of easily, like pedal sliders? I like the idea of being able to use the upswing to pedal but not of having my feet being glued to the fucking bike

Several companies make “half toe clips”, they won’t help you pull much though. Better to just go clipless. Getting comfy with clipless is not as bad as people make it out to be. I never fallen from being able to unclip. If you’re hit by a car or crash, you’ll come unclipped. They’re fairly safe and make jumping over shit in the road stupid easy.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2022, 06:21:01 AM »
clipless pedals are 1000% safer and easier to extricate yourself from than those power strap things, which sounds like what you're after.

clipless pedals are just ski bindings, turn your foot a few degrees to either side and you're free, or with enough force you'll pop out regardless