Author Topic: Why does the Rising Sun flag get a pass?  (Read 6255 times)

SaySo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
Re: Why does the Rising Sun flag get a pass?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2022, 11:04:01 PM »
The use of the rising sun long predates japanese imperialism and wasn't created as a symbol to represent it. Plain and simple. There's nothing more to this.

Similar to the first name "Adolf/Adolph," yet still parents rarely choose to give that name...wonder why?
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2022, 12:02:33 AM »
I was unaware of so many of these graphics because a lot of the, haven’t been used for over ten years…..
Zero and fallen literally have rising sun stuff out today, hosois still using it even tho they say they're not, that Muska graphic isn't the one from 01 they redid it very recently

The use of the rising sun long predates japanese imperialism and wasn't created as a symbol to represent it. Plain and simple. There's nothing more to this.

Every group of humans has been drawing swastikas since just after they figured out how to mark things but we live in current day and have to deal with our own history. There's plenty to this.

guyledouche

• Rep: -25
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2022, 05:30:46 AM »
Go ahead and ban me for this but I’m going to say it’s because Japanese people aren’t white.

Americans view the world through an American lens, so even when looking at a country where the majority is not white, they still look at those people as minorities and therefore victims of white racism. When/if you travel outside of the US or are not an American, this becomes very apparent.

There’s this concept in America that only white males are capable of causing pain and suffering of other races. It’s difficult for many Americans to comprehend that Japan committed war crimes and racist attacks (attempting to take over and control Taiwan, South Korea and China) and that the Chinese government is currently committing genocide against Uyghur Muslims. 

Ironically, the Americans I’m referring to are often white.

And now for the obligatory disclaimer:
Half of my family is Taiwanese. Try not to skew my post as anti-Asian or anti-Anglo Saxon or whatever. I am highly critical of American culture though. This place is crazy.

Sharky

• Rep: -39
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2022, 07:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Similar to the first name "Adolf/Adolph," yet still parents rarely choose to give that name...wonder why?

Is there anything inherently wrong with using the name though? There isn't. So should Japan also change its national flag because it was flown in countries that Japan took over? Is the Union Jack a symbol of hate since it also represents the British empire and all that they have done? What are we really attempting to do in this thread besides complain?

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -597
  • who knows
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2022, 07:55:30 AM »
all this tough talk but none of yall stepping up to revoke your citizenship >:(
where is home?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2022, 08:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Is there anything inherently wrong with using the name though? There isn't. So should Japan also change its national flag because it was flown in countries that Japan took over? Is the Union Jack a symbol of hate since it also represents the British empire and all that they have done? What are we really attempting to do in this thread besides complain?

Sure name your kid Adolph. Nothing in a name at all.  No problem at all for his Jewish teacher whose grandparents were gassed.

Fly through Rising Sun, isn’t disrespectful at all to people who lost family under Japanese occupation.
I’m sure you have no problem just wearing a Nazi swastika, because it’s just some lines.

If people want to associate with a regime that did terrible shit, that’s their problem, right?

And yeah, I actually do think in the future, if we make it through the next 50, will look back and see the US and UK flags with more objective eyes, and see that they were also responsible for horrendous crimes.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

warmonke

• Rep: 43
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2022, 08:47:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure name your kid Adolph. Nothing in a name at all.  No problem at all for his Jewish teacher whose grandparents were gassed.

Fly through Rising Sun, isn’t disrespectful at all to people who lost family under Japanese occupation.
I’m sure you have no problem just wearing a Nazi swastika, because it’s just some lines.

If people want to associate with a regime that did terrible shit, that’s their problem, right?

And yeah, I actually do think in the future, if we make it through the next 50, will look back and see the US and UK flags with more objective eyes, and see that they were also responsible for horrendous crimes.
Yeah Union Jack is basically a symbol of hate, definitely wouldn't want it on a board graphic

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2022, 09:14:11 AM »
is rising sun hellride?

Sharky

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2022, 09:49:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is where you're mixing it up; The NAZI swastika is NOT THE swastika. One was been used for centuries and is still widely used while the other is a perversion of it and is only used by hate groups. They are two different images even though they may be similar. The union jack has been in use since the 1800's. Do you feel that the united states should change its flag due to the imposing nature it may have on people of other nations? You don't need another 50 years to think about this.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2022, 04:02:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This is where you're mixing it up; The NAZI swastika is NOT THE swastika. One was been used for centuries and is still widely used while the other is a perversion of it and is only used by hate groups. They are two different images even though they may be similar. The union jack has been in use since the 1800's. Do you feel that the united states should change its flag due to the imposing nature it may have on people of other nations? You don't need another 50 years to think about this.

No, I’m not mixing it up, I’m using your logic.

You say what’s the big deal, the rising Sun has been around since before Japan’s imperialism, wasn’t created as a symbol to represent it.
But it WAS the symbol chosen to represent it, and still is. It retains that history and meaning.

Likewise the swastika wasn’t created by the Nazis (there is one THE swastika, by the way, it’s increasingly varied, just as rising Sun depictions are across cultures) but they used it, and now for much of the world that’s the only meaning it has. Especially as people who idolize the Nazis still use it (just as the Japanese ultra-right still uses it and other imperial symbols).

However Japan has largely reduced its Imperial tradition to the Emperor being a non-political symbol, and has a pacifist constitution.

The US is still functionally an empire, with bases all over the world, and has not made amends to the genocide of the native population of its own country, nor it’s attacks on other countries and the damage it caused, Afghanistan being only a very recent example. That’s why much of the world no longer sees the US positively, and often burns the flag.

So should the US change its flag?

I’m less concerned about the flag that the actions that lead to people hating the flag, it should stop oppressing people, killing other countries for oil, stop fucking with other countries’ democratic elections, and stop destroying our common environment for money.
When a country uses a symbol, it is a symbol not just for bullshit patriotic sentiments (as seen by its citizens),it’s a symbol of the evils (as seen by victims and outside observers).

Personally I hate the US government and economic/political system, so I’d rather see that change before the flag. Just changing the flag without addressing the problems that make the flag a symbol for those problems is just branding.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Sharky

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2022, 04:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You say what’s the big deal, the rising Sun has been around since before Japan’s imperialism, wasn’t created as a symbol to represent it.
But it WAS the symbol chosen to represent it, and still is. It retains that history and meaning.

Likewise the swastika wasn’t created by the Nazis (there is one THE swastika, by the way, it’s increasingly varied, just as rising Sun depictions are across cultures) but they used it, and now for much of the world that’s the only meaning it has. Especially as people who idolize the Nazis still use it (just as the Japanese ultra-right still uses it and other imperial symbols).

However Japan has largely reduced its Imperial tradition to the Emperor being a non-political symbol, and has a pacifist constitution.

The US is still functionally an empire, with bases all over the world, and has not made amends to the genocide of the native population of its own country, nor it’s attacks on other countries and the damage it caused, Afghanistan being only a very recent example. That’s why much of the world no longer sees the US positively, and often burns the flag.

I’m less concerned about the flag that the actions that lead to people hating the flag, it should stop oppressing people, killing other countries for oil, stop fucking with other countries’ democratic elections, and stop destroying our common environment for money.
When a country uses a symbol, it is a symbol not just for bullshit patriotic sentiments (as seen by its citizens),it’s a symbol of the evils (as seen by victims and outside observers).

Personally I hate the US government and economic/political system, so I’d rather see that change before the flag. Just changing the flag without addressing the problems that make the flag a symbol for those problems is just branding.

Within that logic then yes they are the same. What makes them the same is that the swastika and rising sun are still very much in use. However with the smallest amount of effort we can assess the intent of that use. It's multifaceted. If you're in japan you will see the rising sun used on a myriad of things (flags, posters, general art, etc) but you may also witness a far right protest were they are spewing anti Korean rhetoric and also use the rising sun in their propaganda. If you're in in Japan, Korea, India, China, Cambodia, Thailand, etc and you see a swastika on you can surely understand that the intent isn't to impose hate. It's 2022 and we all have the means to assess this. That is why the rising sun gets a pass. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2022, 04:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Within that logic then yes they are the same. What makes them the same is that the swastika and rising sun are still very much in use. However with the smallest amount of effort we can assess the intent of that use. It's multifaceted. If you're in japan you will see the rising sun used on a myriad of things (flags, posters, general art, etc) but you may also witness a far right protest were they are spewing anti Korean rhetoric and also use the rising sun in their propaganda. If you're in in Japan, Korea, India, China, Cambodia, Thailand, etc and you see a swastika on you can surely understand that the intent isn't to impose hate. It's 2022 and we all have the means to assess this. That is why the rising sun gets a pass. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I’m in Japan, and even here, where the country is generally less aware of its own atrocities than Germany, the Rising Sun is NOT on a myriad of things. With the exception of the Asahi daily newspaper and some yakiniku restaurant logos, its use is pretty openly connected to the far right, and anyone seen sporting a rising sun is treated in pretty much the same way someone in the US wearing a confederate flag.  I see the swastika more than i see the rising sun here.

It happens, but generally only in connection with the right.

Sharky

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m in Japan, and even here, where the country is generally less aware of its own atrocities than Germany, the Rising Sun is NOT on a myriad of things. With the exception of the Asahi daily newspaper and some yakiniku restaurant logos, its use is pretty openly connected to the far right, and anyone seen sporting a rising sun is treated in pretty much the same way someone in the US wearing a confederate flag.  I see the swastika more than i see the rising sun here.

Which part of Japan? In respects to the rising sun I will definitely say that what I've seen usually doesn't have it by its self (unless on a fishing boat). Little trinket shops in Shinsaibashisuji (Osaka) have it on plates/mugs/notebooks/posters for tourist(usually paired in a scene with Mt. Fuji). Definitely seen it more in the aspect as a back drop for light up Tairyobata style banners in Tokyo and Sapporo.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2022, 06:00:53 PM »
I have a relative with the first name Adolf. He was born in the 1920s. Dude is soo bummed on his name.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2022, 07:07:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Which part of Japan? In respects to the rising sun I will definitely say that what I've seen usually doesn't have it by its self (unless on a fishing boat). Little trinket shops in Shinsaibashisuji (Osaka) have it on plates/mugs/notebooks/posters for tourist(usually paired in a scene with Mt. Fuji). Definitely seen it more in the aspect as a back drop for light up Tairyobata style banners in Tokyo and Sapporo.

I live inland, in the middle of Honshu. A relatively left-leaning place. There are almost zero examples of the rising Sun.

Yes, fishing/naval culture definitely has a long history of using the rising Sun. And Kansai is notorious for its conservatives. So I’m not surprised, like I said, it’s like the Confederate flag. Used for almost the same reasons, by people who want to glorify a supposedly glorious (but in actuality shitty) history.

Just like you will find the confederate flag all over the southern US. It’s not banned, as the Confederate flag is not banned, but it similarly carried heavy connotations (heavier if you are from a country that was occupied by the Japanese).

Just because you don’t seem to understand the context it is in, doesn’t mean that context doesn’t exist.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 09:51:17 PM by cucktard »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2022, 07:49:50 PM »
To OP, I live in the Bay Area and when I was in school (graduated high school in 2010), the Rising Sun was never talked about in a negative way in History classes. In fact, I felt that it and the Japanese spirit (kamikaze, etc) were somewhat romanticized. The education system in the US is definitely at fault IMO.