Author Topic: The Beanie Thread  (Read 2075 times)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 170
Re: The Beanie Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2022, 06:13:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I gotta wear straight wool beanies. Anything acrylic, like the carhart beanies now makes my head break out. Shit sucks. But wool never smells bad, son that's a plus
[close]

100%

Wool is the only way to go with beanies
[close]

if you are purchasing Wool, you should be purchasing 100% Merino Wool, much smaller fibers, comfier, less itchy , moisture wicking, and insulating when its damp.
[close]

This, or cashmere-merino blend is the way to go.
[close]

I bought a possum wool cap from a market in Hobart, Tasmania and it has been absolutely great. The ultralight backpacking company Z Pack makes an excellent possum/merino blend beanie that’s pretty cheap. I also recommend their socks - some of the best I’ve ever owned, though not great for skating. 

https://zpacks.com/products/brushtail-possum-beanie
[close]

never thought id see zpacks mentioned on slap
[close]

It shouldn’t be terribly surprising that a bunch of hyperactive 30 and 40-somethings have evolved interests outside of skating. I’ve been eyeing an Arc Air or Arc Haul for the past few years, but can never bring myself to pull the trigger.

probably for the best, zpacks packs are shit

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2022, 06:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I gotta wear straight wool beanies. Anything acrylic, like the carhart beanies now makes my head break out. Shit sucks. But wool never smells bad, son that's a plus
[close]

100%

[close]

if you are purchasing Wool, you should be purchasing 100% Merino Wool, much smaller fibers, comfier, less itchy , moisture wicking, and insulating when its damp.
[close]

[close]

I bought a possum wool cap from a market in Hobart, Tasmania and it has been absolutely great. The ultralight backpacking company Z Pack makes an excellent possum/merino blend beanie that’s pretty cheap. I also recommend their socks - some of the best I’ve ever owned, though not great for skating. 

[close]

[close]

It shouldn’t be terribly surprising that a bunch of hyperactive 30 and 40-somethings have evolved interests outside of skating. I’ve been eyeing an Arc Air or Arc Haul for the past few years, but can never bring myself to pull the trigger.
[close]

I have a Zpacks 20 degree down sleeping bag and I love it. So warm and cozy. Light and compressible too.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2022, 06:57:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

100%

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I have a Zpacks 20 degree down sleeping bag and I love it. So warm and cozy. Light and compressible too.

breaking news! for years i've always been like 'who in the fuck is buying sleeping bags/quilts from zpacks....?

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

100%

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

breaking news! for years i've always been like 'who in the fuck is buying sleeping bags/quilts from zpacks....?
It was a bday gift, jeez. It's actually really nice, sorry it's not UL enough for you?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2022, 08:37:27 AM »
lol y'all need to take your zpack sleeping bag arguments to the camping/backpacking thread @streetmeat @backside_frontside

but as always, good looking out @manysnakes ! I am going to pick up one of those z pack beanies at some point. my friend whose existence seems to revolve around backpacking swore by his z pack years ago. I need to follow up and see if that still stands haha

fernando the skater

• Rep: 111
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2022, 10:39:34 AM »
I want a beanie, but without the fold. Got an old Timberland one that I like, need something new. Seems rather difficult to find. Anyone know good options?

Tight Pants Big Wheels

• Rep: -8
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2022, 11:34:13 AM »
I want a beanie, but without the fold. Got an old Timberland one that I like, need something new. Seems rather difficult to find. Anyone know good options?

I believe the beanies that don't have the fold are called 'skull cap beanies' or 'cuffless beanies'.  That might help you when searching online at least.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 111
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2022, 11:45:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe the beanies that don't have the fold are called 'skull cap beanies' or 'cuffless beanies'.  That might help you when searching online at least.

Ha, a search for cuffless worked. A Kangol one looks good enough. 80s Run DMC/LL Cool J vibe.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2024, 09:36:46 AM »
Reviving this to plug Chimney knitted beanies. Got the short stack one and it's top notch.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2024, 12:47:42 PM »
Go to local tractor supply, find 10.99 carharrt beanie, buy, if logo is too much…seam ripper
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2024, 12:59:20 PM »
Go to local tractor supply, find 10.99 carharrt beanie, buy, if logo is too much…seam ripper

If only it were that easy...

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1374
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2024, 02:38:12 PM »
Surprised this thread isn’t bigger than it is.

For me, a beanie can’t be too bulky, and can’t be too tight either. I prefer acrylic over wool, since wool is too bulky imo. Can’t be too big or stick out too much, or be too small. The top has to be even and pointy if that makes sense.

The best beanie I have is an older Waters and Army. A now-defunct brand that was east coast based and used to sponsor Antonio Durao. Had it for years and it never lost its elasticity, and fits just as perfectly as it always did. If anyone has more, I’ll buy them.

In my experience, Dime and Grand also make good beanies. But even they don’t match the fit of the Waters and Army one. I have a Timberland beanie that isn’t half bad either. Quartersnacks makes good beanies as well.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2024, 03:54:49 PM »
I’ve accumulated a stack of free acrylic beanies over the years from work, I used to be all in on Brixton ones but given how much these things double as a sweat band I’ve slowly moved over to whatever gets thrown my way

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2024, 09:27:35 PM »
Is cold in here and the 3M one I bought in Primark has been pretty good and super cheap.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2024, 09:34:27 AM »
I really like the Butter Goods beanies. I've had a few and they have differed in fit but all have that right size and shape that makes them comfortable and look good imo. You can find them on sale in some cool patterns if you're into that too
(Cool Trick GIF)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2024, 09:42:17 AM »
I’m currently wearing a billed carhartt and feeling mighty Muska.

Rusty Shackleford

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • you know about goretex?
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2024, 10:33:47 AM »
these are my everyday caps, some good deals to be had on factory seconds. still great quality
https://dungarees.com/carhartt-a18-acrylic-watch-cap

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2024, 10:37:24 AM »
NGL - I temu all my beanies (and knee compression sleeves); shit is like $3 and you wouldn't know the difference.

slapattack

• Rep: 11
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2024, 02:48:27 PM »
Reviving this to plug Chimney knitted beanies. Got the short stack one and it's top notch.

you better be right bc i just bought one

boneless900

• Rep: 55
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2024, 04:08:32 PM »
I've been crocheting my own beanies lately. They're real warm but it's acrylic yarn so I'm looking for some wool yarn so I can make a beanie that wicks away sweat a bit better.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2024, 04:57:04 PM »
Grabbed the Polar merino beanie when it was on deep discount at Skate Warehouse. Really luxurious stuff, top notch headwear for our chilly 58 degree winter here.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2024, 07:56:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you better be right bc i just bought one

I love mine! Never had a beanie look this good on my small fuckin head. They are wool so if that makes your head bug out, you made a mistake.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2024, 08:11:29 AM »
Anyone have those “waffle” kind of beanies? Do they run small/very tight? Feel like that style of beanie is very warm but looks like it comes already small/ would shrink up like crazy after one wash (like all my old fourstar beanies would 👎🏽).

I’m interested in this SJ one for example

https://webstore.skatejawn.com/collections/products/products/cover-box-thermal-knit-beanie-olive