Author Topic: Red Bull SOLUS 2022  (Read 5082 times)

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 238
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Red Bull SOLUS 2022
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2022, 10:22:07 PM »
Eli put together a proper run with good flow. He's the winner for me.

boneless900

• Rep: 54
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 08:59:53 AM »
Cookie is my vote (I'm biased bc he's one of my favorite skaters). His creativity and consistency was mind blowing to me.

This contest is so damn fun, everyone is ripping. I'm hoping there are more innovative contest formats like DC Japan's Teppen or the Dime Challenges instead of the typical "45 second run and best trick".

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 732
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2022, 10:23:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does it count as a 1 minute run if you spend half of it standing on top of a quarterpipe staring at the ground? I reckon I could do some pretty good minute long runs if I can just do 2 tricks with a 55 second wait in between them

[close]

he took an approximately 12 second break. you can get 2 - 3 more tricks in with that amount of time. now that you bring this up I think Jonathan Hernandez took a similar approach by going so slow. there are freestyle skaters who go faster than him.

Edit: turns out his last name is Henderson. my bad. my moderate to severe early adult onset dyslexia has been acting up lately.
[close]

he was tired from going so hard... you could never do that shit. dashawn is one of the most athletic skateboarders on the planet, if he needs to take a break that means he was busting his ass. he probably could have played any sport he wanted to... yes its all counted towards the full package of a run though and the judges should appropriately dock his mark for it but it doesnt take away from how insane the run is. that is such a weird thing to nit pick. the contest setups are NEVER ideal, why dumb down your big point tricks and sacrifice your chance at winning just so you can appease quarter pipe stall clowns
[close]

yes. I definitely could take an extended break in the middle of a contest run. I've never tried because I've been too busy skating but if I put my mind to it I'm sure I could.

jokes aside 12 seconds in a one minute run is a lot of time to waste is all I'm getting at.
[close]

Dude cost himself the win, no doubt. Posting up for 10 seconds in the middle of your run is some bewildering shit. I think he got a little fucked over by Clif telling him he had 15 seconds, twice, which contributed to a fucking 20 second gap between the penultimate trick and the last. This whole coaching dynamic is wack as fuck. What a half-baked contest.

My job was technically time keeper. Every skaters was going hard and I know from experience that that shit was grueling as fuck for everyone who skated. Trying a line for an hour straight is WAY different then a contest when you practice at your own pace and have enough energy to do a 45 second to 1 min run. I've skated pro contest back in the day and by the end of the run I was always super exhausted.

Dashawn asked me how much time so I told him. Expending all that energy before a last trick makes that last trick 10 times harder to land and wanted to makes sure he knew it wouldn't be after 60 seconds. Trust me I know a thing or 2 about it. I was supporting everyone who skated in anyway I could. As a skateboarder for 33 years I've always been there to support my fellow skaters for contest/demos/filming/shooting photos and just skating in general.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2022, 10:40:56 AM »
I love Marina’s straight nollie the euro gap. Love a good straight nollie. Make it a thing!

Maurio and Colburn both had some super stylish half cabs.

I agree with the general consensus on Eli, though I ain’t watchin all of em. He skated a lot of the park, did a variety of tricks, and didn’t seem to get too hung up on any particular tricks he struggled with before moving on.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2022, 10:48:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does it count as a 1 minute run if you spend half of it standing on top of a quarterpipe staring at the ground? I reckon I could do some pretty good minute long runs if I can just do 2 tricks with a 55 second wait in between them

[close]

he took an approximately 12 second break. you can get 2 - 3 more tricks in with that amount of time. now that you bring this up I think Jonathan Hernandez took a similar approach by going so slow. there are freestyle skaters who go faster than him.

Edit: turns out his last name is Henderson. my bad. my moderate to severe early adult onset dyslexia has been acting up lately.
[close]

he was tired from going so hard... you could never do that shit. dashawn is one of the most athletic skateboarders on the planet, if he needs to take a break that means he was busting his ass. he probably could have played any sport he wanted to... yes its all counted towards the full package of a run though and the judges should appropriately dock his mark for it but it doesnt take away from how insane the run is. that is such a weird thing to nit pick. the contest setups are NEVER ideal, why dumb down your big point tricks and sacrifice your chance at winning just so you can appease quarter pipe stall clowns
[close]

yes. I definitely could take an extended break in the middle of a contest run. I've never tried because I've been too busy skating but if I put my mind to it I'm sure I could.

jokes aside 12 seconds in a one minute run is a lot of time to waste is all I'm getting at.
[close]

Dude cost himself the win, no doubt. Posting up for 10 seconds in the middle of your run is some bewildering shit. I think he got a little fucked over by Clif telling him he had 15 seconds, twice, which contributed to a fucking 20 second gap between the penultimate trick and the last. This whole coaching dynamic is wack as fuck. What a half-baked contest.
[close]

My job was technically time keeper. Every skaters was going hard and I know from experience that that shit was grueling as fuck for everyone who skated. Trying a line for an hour straight is WAY different then a contest when you practice at your own pace and have enough energy to do a 45 second to 1 min run. I've skated pro contest back in the day and by the end of the run I was always super exhausted.

Dashawn asked me how much time so I told him. Expending all that energy before a last trick makes that last trick 10 times harder to land and wanted to makes sure he knew it wouldn't be after 60 seconds. Trust me I know a thing or 2 about it. I was supporting everyone who skated in anyway I could. As a skateboarder for 33 years I've always been there to support my fellow skaters for contest/demos/filming/shooting photos and just skating in general.

James, you were an excellent addition to this year. I watched all the runs on the redbull site before any of the YouTube clips came out and was wondering, "who's that random voice??" I was stoked to see it was you. I don't doubt that the format of this contest is exhausting. Because of that, would a long break in your run not count against you?

Also, did the runs start when they dropped in or when they first popped?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:43:36 AM by fineslime »

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2022, 04:14:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't mean to hate on you. As far as being a skate coach/hypeman goes, you're doing a fine job. I just don't like the idea of skate coaches. Skateboarding is not a team sport. I want to see what a skater chooses to do, not what someone tells them to do. I'm not saying that you were necessarily telling anyone what to do, but it's kind of a slippery slope. I love that no coaching is allowed during matches in pro tennis. You can be penalized for even looking at your coach if the umpire deems you to be communicating. I hope these rules are never relaxed, as some want them to be. I want to see a Nadal with nerves of steel for four hours straight though a five set final, not a Tsitsipas who needs to sneak his phone into the bathroom breaks to get reassurances and strategies via messages with his coach.
As far as timekeeping goes, I would say they should have a lot of clocks in the room and the skaters should figure it out for themselves. How does it work with the time, does it start when the skater drops in, or rather when they pops their first trick? How stringent is the judging regarding time? Is 61 seconds acceptable or is 60 seconds the cutoff? I think if you have rules, they need to be clear, and they need to be upheld. Otherwise there's too much room for shenanigans.
As far as the thing with Dashawn, I don't think you did anything wrong, but it's still kind of a shitshow. I guess maybe when he asked the second time you maybe shouldn't have told him the same number, but I get it, I probably would have done the same thing in your shoes. It just seems unnecessary and inefficient for that situation to ever arise. Ultimately he stood on the top of the quarter for an awkwardly long amount of time, and that's on him. It would be interesting to see if his first and last tricks fit within a strict 60 second window. At a park like that, the winner probably should be someone who never steps off their board for their whole run, so maybe he never had a chance anyway. The crook was nice, though.
I've always been a fan of your arm steeze and switch hardflips. No hard feelings.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:59:39 PM by OwlGreen »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2022, 06:50:39 PM »

David Reyes casually chucking 360 flip lipslides and noseblunts
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

glimmerati

• Rep: 10
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2022, 09:16:21 PM »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2022, 11:57:17 PM »
https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/red-bull-solus/red-bull-solus-men-video-entries

Can watch the trimmed down final runs here, Wooten and Boyle had solid runs. Also, Cliff's enthusiasm is infectious.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pops

• Rep: 238
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2022, 03:38:42 AM »

David Reyes casually chucking 360 flip lipslides and noseblunts

Not meaning to diss him or anyone else doing that but no matter what tricks you do I find runs where you step off your board on the deck the ramp not very enjoyable.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2022, 11:13:31 AM »
y'all are trippin' about Dashawn. He did 7 tricks in his run. David Reyes only did 6, and a bunch of other people are right in that territory too (some 8's, etc.). Obviously there are dudes like Cookie and Eli Williams who did 10+ but i don't really care that he caught his breath for a few seconds compared to just doing more riding around or whatever other people do that wastes time if the outcome is essentially the same number of tricks

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2022, 12:20:46 AM »

Holy shit she's good, really proper stuff. "Lucky I don't have balls" is a good quote too

Dog the Bounty Hunter

• Rep: 0
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2022, 01:47:55 AM »
I can tell Jake Wootz drinks those Red Balls for real.
Icehead

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2022, 02:50:22 AM »

turns out it was this dude with the fs 180 switch 5-0, not Milou....killer run btw.
It's difficult to choose one winner IMO, lots of guys are putting together really solid runs. My personal fave might be Greyson cause he's just amazing to watch. Oh and that Cookie dude really impressed me too....how in the fuck can he be so consistent with a nosepick to nollie flip?? that shit just baffles my old ass.   :o

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2022, 03:45:42 AM »

turns out it was this dude with the fs 180 switch 5-0, not Milou....killer run btw.
It's difficult to choose one winner IMO, lots of guys are putting together really solid runs. My personal fave might be Greyson cause he's just amazing to watch. Oh and that Cookie dude really impressed me too....how in the fuck can he be so consistent with a nosepick to nollie flip?? that shit just baffles my old ass.   :o

Didn't know he was this good, wow. The way he starts it off with the casual kick-turn in is amazing

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 579
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2022, 07:34:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Holy shit she's good, really proper stuff. "Lucky I don't have balls" is a good quote too

Hahaha yes! Margie is dope.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Baglady

• Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2022, 07:55:24 AM »
i just want to skate like greyson for a day
holy shit watching him go Mach 10 around this condensed mess was so over the top. Also enjoyed watching cookies gears turn figuring out his plan of attack.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 08:48:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Didn't know he was this good, wow. The way he starts it off with the casual kick-turn in is amazing

Dude has the best style but not sure that plays into the winner decision.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2022, 04:29:39 PM »
saw on IG today that Dashawn won the Men's division and Margie won the women's division. would be interested to know how exactly those decisions were made... was there a public voting component again this year?

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2022, 05:35:27 PM »
saw on IG today that Dashawn won the Men's division and Margie won the women's division. would be interested to know how exactly those decisions were made... was there a public voting component again this year?

yes...

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2022, 06:16:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yes...

okay admittedly a bit of a dumb question lol but i just went and looked and it appears the voting is for a "People's Choice" award and is separate from the actual winners of the contest, so not that dumb of a question after all haha the voting actually isn't considered in assigning the winner. I guess I was also wondering if there were official criteria for the judging (number of tricks, diversity, technical difficulty, style, using the whole park, etc.) and how they're valued. I would say Dashawn winning clearly points to a higher value being placed on technical difficulty as he did relatively few tricks (although very difficult tricks), not a ton of diversity in tricks or in obstacles, etc. compared to people like Cookie or Eli Williams who got 2nd and 3rd respectively

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2022, 06:44:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

yes...
[close]

okay admittedly a bit of a dumb question lol but i just went and looked and it appears the voting is for a "People's Choice" award and is separate from the actual winners of the contest, so not that dumb of a question after all haha the voting actually isn't considered in assigning the winner. I guess I was also wondering if there were official criteria for the judging (number of tricks, diversity, technical difficulty, style, using the whole park, etc.) and how they're valued. I would say Dashawn winning clearly points to a higher value being placed on technical difficulty as he did relatively few tricks (although very difficult tricks), not a ton of diversity in tricks or in obstacles, etc. compared to people like Cookie or Eli Williams who got 2nd and 3rd respectively

there was panel of judges that was listed on the website who chose the winner as well

assvogel

• Rep: 195
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2022, 03:56:16 AM »
Eli got the People's Choice and rightfully so!

rothdigga

• Rep: 571
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2022, 03:06:21 PM »

I judged this along with Sinclair and Vanessa.  Was following along the comments on here but didn't really want to chime in as I didn't want to give away hints on accident since they keep the results until later on.
I think you guys all picked out the top 3 in no order pretty easy.  Cookie, Dashawn and Eli and you can make an argument for any of them to win.
Eli- best flow of everyone and skated the fastest by far.  that frontside flip smith looked so easy to him
Cookie- casually impossible lines.  We had 3 versions of his run to watch but the one where he kind of sketches the nollie back heel and goes to tail was the best still.  I love his quick feet
Dashawn- hardest stuff by far to me.  Crooks up the hubba is something that only he can do.  The pause at the top of the quarter was a huge drawback, but if you take into account that he almost did a full run of tricks before that, then threw in the lazer, it pushed him over. 
The debate ended up being Cookie vs Dashawn to us at the end.  I'm definitely one who does NOT like people to get off their boards in contests but you have to weigh it all out. 
Stoked that Eli got the people's choice winner.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I judged this along with Sinclair and Vanessa.  Was following along the comments on here but didn't really want to chime in as I didn't want to give away hints on accident since they keep the results until later on.
I think you guys all picked out the top 3 in no order pretty easy.  Cookie, Dashawn and Eli and you can make an argument for any of them to win.
Eli- best flow of everyone and skated the fastest by far.  that frontside flip smith looked so easy to him
Cookie- casually impossible lines.  We had 3 versions of his run to watch but the one where he kind of sketches the nollie back heel and goes to tail was the best still.  I love his quick feet
Dashawn- hardest stuff by far to me.  Crooks up the hubba is something that only he can do.  The pause at the top of the quarter was a huge drawback, but if you take into account that he almost did a full run of tricks before that, then threw in the lazer, it pushed him over. 
The debate ended up being Cookie vs Dashawn to us at the end.  I'm definitely one who does NOT like people to get off their boards in contests but you have to weigh it all out. 
It's rad to have this insight  :)

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2022, 04:59:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Dude has the best style but not sure that plays into the winner decision.

Stomp factor put him near the top of my personal podium. Every single trick was stomped to perfection.

Mandatory Reload

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2022, 07:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thanks for this! dope to hear some thoughts from behind the scenes. was there any debate on the women’s winner or was Margie the clear choice for y’all?

rothdigga

• Rep: 571
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2022, 09:52:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thanks for this! dope to hear some thoughts from behind the scenes. was there any debate on the women’s winner or was Margie the clear choice for y’all?
Pretty much Margie was the clear cut winner.  Even with the 1/2 make/bail for her last trick, everything was super difficult and done very proper.  Itzel seemed very solidly in the 2nd spot above Marina for pretty much the best trick we saw of the day for the women (smith kickflip out) and then Marina ending with the perfect kickfliip down the double set put her right into 3rd.