Author Topic: Fixing Runways / Bad Ground  (Read 967 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Fixing Runways / Bad Ground
« on: June 25, 2021, 06:35:36 AM »
abandoned ikea on the side of the highway, kind of homeless area

as you can see the ground here kinda sucks, its not terible but it could be better.
i talked to my cousin who owns a paving business.
he said it is possible to make this spot good again by using asphalt sealer. it comes in a 4 gallon bucket type thing and you put it on with a squeegee. it will make it all black so its kinda heat. I am pretty sure the driveway in my complex is sealed like this and it seems pretty dope to skate on.

Downside is a bucket of this stuff is like $100 - but i could likely do like 2-3 spots with it im thinking

anyone else ever done this?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
Re: Fixing Runways / Bad Ground
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 07:18:09 PM »
@rawbertson. I like how you have all these skateboarding projects going.

I painted my driveway and it came out great. I would recommend using the better grade by the curb than the rest of the area you will want to skate flat ground on.

The more years claimed on the container the thicker the solution will be which will build a greater dried film thickness. I would use the following by the curb:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-Ultra-Maxx-1000-4-75-Gallon-Asphalt-Sealer/3025368

Also, can’t your cousin get you the material at cost for the rest of the adjacent parking lot? Sometimes they have extra at the end of a shift. They could pour out and you could move the material around. It’s easy if you are not concerned with line or foot marks which you won’t be.

Great project.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 07:46:18 AM »
Fucking brilliant idea.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »

I painted my driveway and it came out great. I would recommend using the better grade by the curb than the rest of the area you will want to skate flat ground on.

The more years claimed on the container the thicker the solution will be which will build a greater dried film thickness. I would use the following by the curb:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-Ultra-Maxx-1000-4-75-Gallon-Asphalt-Sealer/3025368

Also, can’t your cousin get you the material at cost for the rest of the adjacent parking lot? Sometimes they have extra at the end of a shift. They could pour out and you could move the material around. It’s easy if you are not concerned with line or foot marks which you won’t be.

Great project.

he said he is giving it to me at cost..he said its a 5 gallon pail for $100... i imagine i cna do a lot with that but i really dont need that much i dont think.

not sure if this is the same thing? $17 / 17 L lol seems like all i need.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/asphalt-sealers/rust-oleum-sealkrete-17l-driveway-sealer-758563

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »
A DIY in NC just did this recently. I’ve never skated here but looks like it would work, doubt they wanted all their time on something that sucks. Only con i can see is it’ll be hot af in summer but I’d take smooth flat for a bit more heat 3 months of the year. Linked below.

Maybe look into a different product than your cousin recommended, quick search turned this up looks like the same stuff these dudes used.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-JACK-New-Black-300-4-75-Gallon-Asphalt-Sealer/4740346?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-bdm-_-google-_-lia-_-103-_-drivewaysealers-_-4740346-_-0&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjwieuGBhAsEiwA1Ly_nc3VRPYGhJsZlppRQoCOl4xqtswPM_kS9AEJul_5-uUwBSRp2sf0CxoCaQwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 05:20:04 PM »
Expand Quote

Great project.
[close]

he said he is giving it to me at cost..he said its a 5 gallon pail for $100... i imagine i cna do a lot with that but i really dont need that much i dont think.

not sure if this is the same thing? $17 / 17 L lol seems like all i need.

https://www.lowes.ca/product/asphalt-sealers/rust-oleum-sealkrete-17l-driveway-sealer-758563

The L is listed as covering 600 sq. ft., which is not a lot of space. I suppose if you only cover the area very close to the ledge/obstacle you could make it stretch further.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 07:22:57 AM »
i tihnk thats all i want to do seeing as this is not my property and i could get in a lot of trouble for this...

biaherl

• Rep: 263
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 02:40:27 PM »
I would play around with some black oil based paint before I would use a sealer. Sticks to your wheels and slows everything down takes forever to cure and when it finally does it starts to wear off. I've been running a potholing crew for a year now so I know a little

All these tools can be rented.

HAHA I wish. Just wear a vest no one will know

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »
Looks sick Rawb....I wanna see how this goes....

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 03:49:33 AM »
I don’t know much about it but those guys used a shitload of product, I think if you just had the one drum like pug said just do a runway to what you wanna skate

That Lowe’s link seems cheap but idk but if you can be bothered just ring sealing companies and ask where they get their shit from
 Often those Home Depot/Bunnings type stores are x2 to x4 than if you went to a trade supplier in an industrial area

Just if you were gonna do the lot you’d wanna get it as cheap as possible

Heaps of those smaller suppliers are chill as, tell them what you want to do and want you want it for and I am sure people would help out

Edit

Might cost more maybe look around and call cunts but could you just ardit it? I was gonna say this before but I didn’t think it would go over bitumen but the internet says it would
I mean you’d wanna prime it probably but yeah ardit is nice to pop off I have fixed spots with that and the ramping compound, it smokes bondo

You can get it for 12-15 aud a bag I am sure cheaper in USA
listen to cosmic psychos

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 08:48:52 AM »
Hey guys it was a long time and i ended up moving spots etc. and didnt have to deal with the bad ground for awhile.

Also this product I posted is NO GOOD. i didnt need to end up buying it i saw it in action. it is commonly used to fill cracks in streets and it ends up very rubbery and not good at all for skateboard wheels. I am kinda back to the drawing board on this one. I know the stuff my cousin could get me would work but I cant really justify $100 right now to fix huge patches of ground. I think that may actually be what I need to get to make the ground really, really good again.

but the reason i am asking advice again:
I found a really perfect 3 stair and the landing is pretty bad. Would it be possible wiht like, 2-3 bags of concrete, to make like just enough of a landing so its nice thne you can transition out to the bad ground once you have made your trick? how would I go about doing that? you just mix it up in a pail then try to smooth it out as best you can with something flat? does it need to be really thick to stop it from just cracking like crazy, or since it has the base of the rocky asphalt ground, will that help somewhat keep it togther?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 08:53:54 AM »

not the best photo but this spot would be RAD to improve the ground on. someone has bricked + painted the entire thing and it grinds and slides amazing. its basically like a 40 foot long bank to double sider curb.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 09:25:51 PM »
You could try using thin set concrete. I’ve used o to level a slab in my old house for flooring. Can’t say how well it’d work or if it’d hold up to skating for any long period of time, but it’s cheap and pretty easy to work with.
You may have an issue if people are actively using the stairs though, since it takes time to cure.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 09:54:47 PM »
Ardex feather or skm or twp. Trowel's thin and last awhile

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 06:30:31 AM »
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/quikrete-23kg-quikrete-fast-setting-self-levelling-floor-resurfacer/1001110456

this looks like the canadian equivalent. Thanks! Gonna wait til after the winter probably to see what is going to happen with the building. its abandoned (it was a boston pizza they mass closed across canada but some of em re-opened as Chuck's Roadhouse)

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/epoxyshield-driveway-resurfacer-sealer-12l/1000682332?rrec=true

I am fairly confident this is what you need i think to fix up an asphalt spot. if you look at the pictures of the reviews it looks good. this makes sense too its $100 for a pail and that is in line with what my cousin said who is a Paver.