Author Topic: Anyone know some dark obscure skateboarding facts?  (Read 48144 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
Re: Anyone know some dark obscure skateboarding facts?
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2022, 10:09:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
in skateboarding, there are two Steve Olson's.
[close]

And two Tom Knox
[close]
And at least 4 Tony da silvas
And at least six, maybe twelve Dustin Henrys

Gab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2022, 10:11:06 AM »
And only one Dlamini Dlamini

TelethonJohn

• Rep: 57
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2022, 10:50:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And two Tom Knox
[close]
[close]

Yeah, but there are like 10 different Ethan Fowlers. Punk rock runaway Ethan, beatnik Ethan, sensitive literary goth Ethan, garage rock Ethan, Southern rock Ethan, etc.

Yu Dum

« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2022, 11:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And two Tom Knox
[close]
[close]
[close]

Yeah, but there are like 10 different Ethan Fowlers. Punk rock runaway Ethan, beatnik Ethan, sensitive literary goth Ethan, garage rock Ethan, Southern rock Ethan, etc.
Can't forget ol racist ass Ethan.

milk.razor

• Rep: 11
« Reply #424 on: April 22, 2022, 07:25:24 PM »
yeah fuck ethan. i saw a post that was jerry fowler and the first comment was “the only fowler”
No fun allowed. Also get your phone out and film this for my insta edit. Also don’t breath too loud. Bitch.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #425 on: April 23, 2022, 11:10:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Not exactly skate related but relevant. Grandma's Boy is kinda like Kids in the QA World.
[close]

QA? Quality Assurance?
Forgot there was another more recently famous QA running around. Yeah man testers.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #426 on: April 28, 2022, 10:18:21 AM »
Slap's favorite Borra was on one of the most coveted beloved skateboarding companies of all time.  101.   

But this is really being stated to see if anyone recalls what got him kicked off?  And all the Berra talk had me thinking about this arguably dark fact.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #427 on: April 28, 2022, 10:19:55 AM »
Slap's favorite Borra was on one of the most coveted beloved skateboarding companies of all time.  101.   

But this is really being stated to see if anyone recalls what got him kicked off?  And all the Berra talk had me thinking about this arguably dark fact.

He called Natas the N word.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #428 on: April 28, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
jk
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #429 on: April 28, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
jk

But it being Jovontae rings a bell.   I mean its not hard to see how he got kicked off but was geniunely curious as I can't remember and maybe never really knew?   I did hear ALOT of people in the 90s that knew him call him a "cry baby".

I would guess Steve would really not like a certain transworld interview of him dug up from the 90s.    Its not a good look.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • old and in the way
« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »
Expand Quote
jk
[close]

But it being Jovontae rings a bell.   I mean its not hard to see how he got kicked off but was geniunely curious as I can't remember and maybe never really knew?   I did hear ALOT of people in the 90s that knew him call him a "cry baby".

I would guess Steve would really not like a certain transworld interview of him dug up from the 90s.    Its not a good look.

If I remember correctly Berra called Jovante "cool black guy" (I'm not sure of the context but it may have been in response to being called something like lame white guy) and Jovante smacked the shit out Berra. I don't know if that's why he got axed from 101 but I'm pretty sure it didn't help matters.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #431 on: April 28, 2022, 10:46:06 AM »
 Moses Itkonen ran (and bragged about running) a gay conversion "therapy" camp and should be beaten on sight. Worst fucking dude.

Edit: "therapy" in quotations 'cause it ain't.

Weededed

• Rep: 208
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #432 on: April 28, 2022, 12:41:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
jk
[close]

[close]

If I remember correctly Berra called Jovante "cool black guy" (I'm not sure of the context but it may have been in response to being called something like lame white guy) and Jovante smacked the shit out Berra. I don't know if that's why he got axed from 101 but I'm pretty sure it didn't help matters.

From Jovontaes Chromeball interview:

"So what did lead up to that altercation with Berra?

Basically he was just getting on my nerves that whole tour and by the time we got to Florida, tension was high. Honestly, like I said, nobody was getting along on that tour. It could’ve been any one of us getting into a fight at that point.

But I was laying on the bed and I could hear something going down but I wasn’t in the conversation. Berra comes and sits down beside me and I ended up saying something and he responds with, “Cool, black guy.”

In fairness, Kareem did say you called him a “white asshole”.

(laughs) Well, I was over it.

But I hopped to the side of my bed, put on my shoes, stood up and punched him. The next morning, he was gone. I guess he caught the first flight out."

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2013/11/postscript-jovontae-turner.html?m=1

Also:

"One story I’ve always heard about but have never heard your side of the story on was how things went down at Embarcadero with a young Ricky Oyola.

(laughs) I knew you were gonna bring this up. I always get asked about that and Steve Berra.

But the Ricky Oyola thing was crazy. He was taking photos down at Embarcadero one day while I was out skating. I didn’t even know who he was at the time. Nothing. But I remember he was trying to do the Gonz when, all of a sudden, I thought I heard somebody yell out the word, “Niggers!”

I thought I was tripping. I honestly didn’t even really pay any attention to it at first because there was no way that’s what was being said. But then I watched him try the Gonz again and when he bailed, I actually saw him screaming out the word, “Nigger!”

I was like, “What the fuck!?!”

But I still couldn’t believe it… and then he did it again!

That’s when I called him out. I walked him over to the other side of Embarcadero to talk and I ended up swinging on him. I swung my board straight at his head but he ducked. However, I just happened to be with one of my boys who had a pitbull with him… Ricky basically got chased out of Embarcadero. That was it.

I ended up seeing him a few years later at the Tampa Contest but he didn’t want to do anything. I heard he was talking shit but he didn’t want to do nothing when I saw him.

That shit’s crazy, though.

Yeah, Stevie was just telling me the other day another story about Ricky doing the same thing back at Love Park. Back when Stevie was a little kid and couldn’t do anything about it. He said that Ricky would do that all the time. Just punking people.

He couldn’t pull that shit in San Francisco. I think I was probably the last time he said that shit anywhere"

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #433 on: April 28, 2022, 03:27:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
jk
[close]

[close]

[close]

From Jovontaes Chromeball interview:

"So what did lead up to that altercation with Berra?

Basically he was just getting on my nerves that whole tour and by the time we got to Florida, tension was high. Honestly, like I said, nobody was getting along on that tour. It could’ve been any one of us getting into a fight at that point.

But I was laying on the bed and I could hear something going down but I wasn’t in the conversation. Berra comes and sits down beside me and I ended up saying something and he responds with, “Cool, black guy.”

In fairness, Kareem did say you called him a “white asshole”.

(laughs) Well, I was over it.

But I hopped to the side of my bed, put on my shoes, stood up and punched him. The next morning, he was gone. I guess he caught the first flight out."

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2013/11/postscript-jovontae-turner.html?m=1

Also:

"One story I’ve always heard about but have never heard your side of the story on was how things went down at Embarcadero with a young Ricky Oyola.

(laughs) I knew you were gonna bring this up. I always get asked about that and Steve Berra.

But the Ricky Oyola thing was crazy. He was taking photos down at Embarcadero one day while I was out skating. I didn’t even know who he was at the time. Nothing. But I remember he was trying to do the Gonz when, all of a sudden, I thought I heard somebody yell out the word, “Niggers!”

I thought I was tripping. I honestly didn’t even really pay any attention to it at first because there was no way that’s what was being said. But then I watched him try the Gonz again and when he bailed, I actually saw him screaming out the word, “Nigger!”

I was like, “What the fuck!?!”

But I still couldn’t believe it… and then he did it again!

That’s when I called him out. I walked him over to the other side of Embarcadero to talk and I ended up swinging on him. I swung my board straight at his head but he ducked. However, I just happened to be with one of my boys who had a pitbull with him… Ricky basically got chased out of Embarcadero. That was it.

I ended up seeing him a few years later at the Tampa Contest but he didn’t want to do anything. I heard he was talking shit but he didn’t want to do nothing when I saw him.

That shit’s crazy, though.

Yeah, Stevie was just telling me the other day another story about Ricky doing the same thing back at Love Park. Back when Stevie was a little kid and couldn’t do anything about it. He said that Ricky would do that all the time. Just punking people.

He couldn’t pull that shit in San Francisco. I think I was probably the last time he said that shit anywhere"

Not job shaming but I’m glad he’s a garbage man. A literal garbage man being a Garbage Man picking up garbage everyday.

That’s art. Like a photo of someone else taking a photo of another person art
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

cky enthusiast

« Reply #434 on: April 28, 2022, 07:33:51 PM »
what do i do? oh i do excel spreadsheets for a real estate company

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 275
  • often correct
« Reply #435 on: June 27, 2022, 08:20:30 PM »
a lot of skaters in that southwest ditch scene (think dudes who skate into massive banks) will tighten their axle nuts down so their wheels don't roll as freely, so they can "manage" their speed while taking huge inclines

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #436 on: June 27, 2022, 08:58:44 PM »
Moses Itkonen ran (and bragged about running) a gay conversion "therapy" camp and should be beaten on sight. Worst fucking dude.

Edit: "therapy" in quotations 'cause it ain't.

That is this fuckery??

Can you link any of this?

I met Moses once skating in Van, and it was the singularly worst experience I’ve had with any sponsored skater ever. Complete Dildo Douchebaggins
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Coping Grinder

• Rep: 17
« Reply #437 on: June 28, 2022, 06:12:27 AM »
a lot of skaters in that southwest ditch scene (think dudes who skate into massive banks) will tighten their axle nuts down so their wheels don't roll as freely, so they can "manage" their speed while taking huge inclines

Some truths are just better left unsaid...